inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Boonies in the 2000s

Written By: OuterSpace on 07/17/07 at 12:17 am

Does anyone have firsthand experience of boonies today? How much Internet or cell phones do they have there (or teeth, lol)?

Subject: Re: The Boonies in the 2000s

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 07/17/07 at 1:30 am

Does anyone have firsthand experience of boonies today? How much Internet or cell phones do they have there (or teeth, lol)?

God I hate condescending a**holes from the coasts.  >:( >:( >:(

Written By: whistledog on 07/17/07 at 1:36 am

This is a weird topic

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/17/07 at 9:21 am

Well, I live in the 'boonies', and I have a high speed internet connection, a cell phone, and all my teeth ;)

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/17/07 at 9:25 am

Yeah, most of those things proliferate enough to where anyone who wants to have them basically already does. I do think the OP makes a valid point, though, that the rural and sometimes suburban areas are sometimes a little behind the times. I'm sure there's farm towns that look less advanced than a big city in the late '90s would have. That goes for any time period too, of course.

I don't think VCRs became something nearly everyone had until maybe 1987.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/17/07 at 9:36 am

Yeah, most of those things proliferate enough to where anyone who wants to have them basically already does. I do think the OP makes a valid point, though, that the rural and sometimes suburban areas are sometimes a little behind the times. I'm sure there's farm towns that look less advanced than a big city in the late '90s would have. That goes for any time period too, of course.

I don't think VCRs became something nearly everyone had until maybe 1987.

Yeah, we didn't get a VCR until 1989 I think. Until 1987 or so they were kinda like HD-DVD or Bluray will be for the next 5 or so years, too expensive for everyone to own.

We've only lived out here for 5 and a half years, before that we lived in town. The Cell Phone service is rather crappy, and we didn't get DSL service until last June.

Written By: OuterSpace on 07/17/07 at 11:45 pm

AL-B there's boonies on the coasts too. Ever been to Mendocino County?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/18/07 at 11:31 pm

Boonies?  Who uses the word "boonies" anymore?  We call it the "Heartland," we call it "Red America," we call it....wherever heathen liberals ain't at!
:D

Check for new replies or respond here...