inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: family guy

Written By: popking on 07/25/07 at 1:34 pm

One of the definitive 2000s cartoon shows alike the simpsons was in the 90s? or is this more of a late 90s thing? it seemed like the show started in the late 90s but the 2000s was when it really got popular.

Subject: Re: family guy

Written By: whistledog on 07/25/07 at 4:31 pm

10 episodes aired in 1999.  So no

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/25/07 at 9:33 pm

It has more prevalence in the 2000s. You have to look at the entire time it was around, not just when it started. Also, the longer something stays around, the more its image or the time associated with it can change. Especially if it still dominates culture.

If The Simpsons had only lasted one or two seasons then been cancelled, I'm sure if we were talking about it today (in a "Hey, remember that?" way) it would be considered more of a late '80esque show. But since it was quite pervasive in the '90s, that's what it's most known for today, and even this decade somewhat.

So yes, I'd say Family Guy is sort of a 2001-'04 thing at its absolute peak. I'm not a huge fan, but some of it is quite funny in a satirical way, the way they lampoon pop culture or image. Like a more mainstream and less edgy or offensive South Park.

Written By: popking on 07/25/07 at 10:09 pm

the show is still around now I believe. It was cancelled in 2002 but brought back in 2005. Definitely more a 2001-04 thing though. Not to mention that the older episodes of any show are always fresher/better.

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/25/07 at 10:19 pm

Yeah, that says something for its popularity, if it was revived (that doesn't usually happen). I agree that original shows are generally more "classic" since that's what people got into it in the first place. That's where its image originated in a way.

FG is now probably about the way MTV or video games were in the late '80s - something many people still liked, but it was just an established part of culture and not a "hot new thing" anymore.

Written By: whistledog on 07/25/07 at 11:16 pm

The DVD sets for Family Guy sold unbelievable well that FOX realized the mistake they made in cancelling it, so they brought it back.  The last show to get revived after being cancelled I believe was 'Cagney and Lacey'

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/26/07 at 12:06 am

The DVD sets for Family Guy sold unbelievable well that FOX realized the mistake they made in cancelling it, so they brought it back.  The last show to get revived after being cancelled I believe was 'Cagney and Lacey'

(Jump to Cagney & Lacy spoof with Meg as Cagney and Lois as Lacey)
^Well, that's how the show works!
;)

Check for new replies or respond here...