inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Disney nixes smoking in movies

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/26/07 at 6:26 pm

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/01/bandit.gif

You know something's wrong when I agree with Tucker Carlson.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601082&sid=aOUU70SNKgdM&refer=canada

Disney is not going to allow depictions of characters smoking tobacco in its motion pictures, and they're going to lean on their affiliates, such as Touchstone, to do do the same.  The rationale, of course, is smoking is bad for your health and we don't want impressionable young ones to start smoking because cool people on the big screen do it.

This is stone bullsh*t. 

Kids start smoking because their parents smoke or their peers smoke.

I don't know anybody who lit up because James Bond or Indiana Jones smoked.  Come on!

If Spielberg made an adventure movie about a swashbuckling archeologist set in 2007, he or she should be a non-smoker.  Why?  Because you wouldn't expect a present-day scientist to smoke cigarettes.  "Raiders" took place in 1936. Everybody smoked.  It was a different era.
One of my favorite movies was on last weekend, "The Untouchables," with Kevin Costner as Eliot Ness.  Brian De Palma's Ness was an all-around decent, wholesome, patriotic family man...and he smoked.  That was not incompatible with a wholesome image back then.  Of course, De Palma had Ness smoking filtered cigarettes in 1930, which was kind of strange.
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/icon_scratch.gif

In sum, if the creators of the film determine the character would smoke, then the character should smoke.  I mean, they shouldn't go out of their way to include smoking.  No need to show Harry Potter puffing Lucky Strikes! 

Various concerned citizens have brought up the idea of banning smoking in movies from time to time over the past two decades.  Now it's happening. 

What's next?  Unhealthy food?  Would we see Paulie Cicero making a veggie stir fry in "Goodfellas"?  Is that where we're headed?
"You treated me like I was never nothin' to ya!," says Paulie, stirring the bean sprouts and tofu chunks in the wok!
:D

Now, this was Disney's decision, not a government mandate.  However, I know there was some pressure.  Some handwringing congressional committee was just holding hearings on the subject. 

To Rep. Ed Markey I extend the one finger salute!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/thefinger.gif

You just affirmed the stereotype of a "Massachusetts liberal" as an effete do-gooder out to legislate the fun out our lives!
Thanks for the kcik in the head. 
Anyway, this isn't the politics board and it wasn't a government decision, so I'll just leave that alone.
:-X

Subject: Re: Disney nixes smoking in movies

Written By: lorac61469 on 07/26/07 at 6:44 pm

Off the top of my head I can not think of one recent charater that has smoked in Disney films.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I was watching an episode of The Twilight Zone called "Twenty Two", it was about a woman in a hospital.  Anyway, she actually lights a cigarette in the hotel room.  :o

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/26/07 at 7:41 pm

Off the top of my head I can not think of one recent charater that has smoked in Disney films.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I was watching an episode of The Twilight Zone called "Twenty Two", it was about a woman in a hospital.  Anyway, she actually lights a cigarette in the hotel room.   :o

In some of his 'Zone intros, Rod Serling is holding a lit cigarette.  Rod was a smoker and it never did him any....harm.
:-\\

Written By: whistledog on 07/26/07 at 8:47 pm

Does this mean they will edit previous disney movies to take out the parts where characters smoke?  The only thing smoking will be the angry people chasing Michael Eisner down the street

Written By: Wabbit on 07/26/07 at 9:53 pm

He's not in charge anymore. Robert Igor is the current Dizz Knee CEO.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/03/07 at 8:52 pm

Does this mean they will edit previous disney movies to take out the parts where characters smoke?  The only thing smoking will be the angry people chasing Michael Eisner down the street

Yeah, with today's computer graphics they can replace all cigarettes with Tootsie Pops or celery stalks or something.

You know, "Clean Flicks" the don't just snip out the sex, they also wash out the violence.  They did that with "Saving Private Ryan."  There's that soldier dying on the beach at Normandy with his guts flung all over the place and he's moaning, "Mama...Mama!"  After "Clean Flicks" got through with him, he just looked like some dude passed out on the beach after a five-day bender!

Written By: annonymouse on 08/03/07 at 9:24 pm

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/01/bandit.gif

You know something's wrong when I agree with Tucker Carlson.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601082&sid=aOUU70SNKgdM&refer=canada

Disney is not going to allow depictions of characters smoking tobacco in its motion pictures, and they're going to lean on their affiliates, such as Touchstone, to do do the same.  The rationale, of course, is smoking is bad for your health and we don't want impressionable young ones to start smoking because cool people on the big screen do it.

This is stone bullsh*t. 

Kids start smoking because their parents smoke or their peers smoke.

I don't know anybody who lit up because James Bond or Indiana Jones smoked.  Come on!

If Spielberg made an adventure movie about a swashbuckling archeologist set in 2007, he or she should be a non-smoker.  Why?  Because you wouldn't expect a present-day scientist to smoke cigarettes.  "Raiders" took place in 1936. Everybody smoked.  It was a different era.
One of my favorite movies was on last weekend, "The Untouchables," with Kevin Costner as Eliot Ness.  Brian De Palma's Ness was an all-around decent, wholesome, patriotic family man...and he smoked.  That was not incompatible with a wholesome image back then.  Of course, De Palma had Ness smoking filtered cigarettes in 1930, which was kind of strange.
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/icon_scratch.gif

In sum, if the creators of the film determine the character would smoke, then the character should smoke.  I mean, they shouldn't go out of their way to include smoking.  No need to show Harry Potter puffing Lucky Strikes! 

Various concerned citizens have brought up the idea of banning smoking in movies from time to time over the past two decades.  Now it's happening. 

What's next?  Unhealthy food?  Would we see Paulie Cicero making a veggie stir fry in "Goodfellas"?  Is that where we're headed?
"You treated me like I was never nothin' to ya!," says Paulie, stirring the bean sprouts and tofu chunks in the wok!

Now, this was Disney's decision, not a government mandate.  However, I know there was some pressure.  Some handwringing congressional committee was just holding hearings on the subject. 

To Rep. Ed Markey I extend the one finger salute!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/thefinger.gif

You just affirmed the stereotype of a "Massachusetts liberal" as an effete do-gooder out to legislate the fun out our lives!
Thanks for the kcik in the head. 
Anyway, this isn't the politics board and it wasn't a government decision, so I'll just leave that alone.
:-X

i agree. i understand that smoking is harmful. everyone in america does. it is impossible not to know with all those annoying "DEBUNKIFY" and "WhatDaFuxUp" adds appearing on every television station, magazine, website, and street corner in the country. everyone knows smoking is bad for you, and yet still people smoke. the only thing the the government, or anyone for that matter can do is bann cigaretts, and all that will do is cause a rapid organized crime rate succesion like the way the mafia exploded hen the government banned alchohal (how long did that one last?). i pitty those who got hooked on cigaretts before the sergeon general's report, but for those born after, i have none.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/04/07 at 10:57 pm

i agree. i understand that smoking is harmful. everyone in america does. it is impossible not to know with all those annoying "DEBUNKIFY" and "WhatDaFuxUp" adds appearing on every television station, magazine, website, and street corner in the country. everyone knows smoking is bad for you, and yet still people smoke. the only thing the the government, or anyone for that matter can do is bann cigaretts, and all that will do is cause a rapid organized crime rate succesion like the way the mafia exploded hen the government banned alchohal (how long did that one last?). i pitty those who got hooked on cigaretts before the sergeon general's report, but for those born after, i have none.

Back in high school I tried to counsel peers against cigarette smoking, but the started smoking 'em anyway.  Then in college they started trying to quit.  They'd quit.  Then they'd start again.  They'd quit.  Then they'd start again...and so on and so on through the years. 
Once somebody gets hooked, I don't say anything.  They already know the consequences of what they're doing and chances are they wish they could stop.  I'm a firm believer in MYOB.  However, if you can stop a person from smoking before they ever start, that's worth the intervention.

Anyway, I don't like people getting on my case about consuming too much sugar, processed foods, caffeine and not enough fresh fruits and vegetables and blah blah blah...nothing more annoying than a healthnut gadfly!  So in turn, I don't chastise anybody else for their habits.
::)

Written By: spaceace on 08/05/07 at 11:54 am

I can see it now, instead of smoking they'll all be chewing nicoret gum in any saloon scene.  Sorry that just won't cut it.  In order to make a film realistic sometimes the actors have to do such things as smoke, drink.  Coincidentally Disney isn't just involved in G and PG movies, the company works with other companies that do "R" rated flicks.

Written By: ADH13 on 08/05/07 at 1:19 pm

I agree, Maxwell.  If they are going to cut out cigarettes to try to keep people from smoking, I guess they should cut out the guns, violence, premarital sex, drugs, sleazy clothes, profanity...

Ridiculous.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/06/07 at 1:55 am

I agree, Maxwell.  If they are going to cut out cigarettes to try to keep people from smoking, I guess they should cut out the guns, violence, premarital sex, drugs, sleazy clothes, profanity...

Ridiculous.

Indeed.  Hey, I love the Andy Griffith Show...but the world ain't like that.  Never was, never will be!

Written By: AFTERSHOCK on 09/13/07 at 6:11 pm

Indiana Jones was a smoker?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/13/07 at 6:45 pm

Indiana Jones was a smoker?

A couple of times in Raiders.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 09/14/07 at 1:34 am

Indeed.  Hey, I love the Andy Griffith Show...but the world ain't like that.  Never was, never will be!
Hell, Andy Griffith even smoked on his show.

Check for new replies or respond here...