inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: young stars that lost it...

Written By: saver on 07/27/07 at 2:54 pm

Remember the young actor from Terminator/Detroit Rock City etc..?

Edward Furlong...when he had his troubles, i.e. losing his license to drive THEN driving without the license, getting weird letting lobsters loose in a grocery store in the name of PETA.. he was booted from being in T-3 and has popped up in low budget flicks now...and TV(CSI)...

Why does everyone rally for Linday to come back when no word on Ed OR youngun' Brad Renfro has any news?? ???

Subject: Re: young stars that lost it...

Written By: popking on 07/27/07 at 3:15 pm

2007 marks the downfall of the teen starlets from the 2000s, thank god ::) Paris, Nicole, Lindsay, Brit (c'mon she was over since 01')..etc. Its entertaining, with Britney melting down, Nicole getting jail time and Lindsay getting busted big time all in the same week. Of course it just generates more publicity for them, which is what they want. Its like some cataclysmic meltdown, I think this is a good thing, because it sends a good message to younger girls witnessing the results of these star's gross irresponsibility and immaturity. Its sad commentary on the state of society though, because they were pushed in the limelight before they were really ready.

I assume this thread can pertain to all fallen young starlets? ;D

Subject: h

Written By: tetratron on 07/27/07 at 3:24 pm

:-X

Written By: gemini on 07/27/07 at 5:55 pm

I think whatever movie company is promoting Lindseys latest film is happy about all the publicity. I mean she's top news on quite a few search engines.

They probably bought her the drinks in the first place.

Which is most of the problem.  They just care about the paycheck and the notoriety she can bring them. Same for the people surrounding her, the hangers on. People, places and things, the 3 most important things an addict has to change if they want to get clean. She needs to drop the bad people around her and get out of that environment if she ever gets serious about cleaning up her act.

Written By: danootaandme on 07/27/07 at 5:59 pm

Which is most of the problem.  They just care about the paycheck and the notoriety she can bring them. Same for the people surrounding her, the hangers on. People, places and things, the 3 most important things an addict has to change if they want to get clean. She needs to drop the bad people around her and get out of that environment if she ever gets serious about cleaning up her act.

She needs a good sit down with Drew Barrymore who was put through the mill by her family and the people around her.  It is a credit to her that she came out of it as well as she did. The entertainment business eats its young, and it is rare for any of them to come out unscathed.

Subject: h

Written By: tetratron on 07/27/07 at 7:13 pm

:-X

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/27/07 at 8:10 pm

She needs a good sit down with Drew Barrymore who was put through the mill by her family and the people around her.  It is a credit to her that she came out of it as well as she did. The entertainment business eats its young, and it is rare for any of them to come out unscathed.

That's who I was going to say.  Drew is one of the lucky ones.  She not only survived the dope and the booze, but so did her career.

Going back to the early '80s and one of my favorite pop stars, Boy George!
1982--The sweet transvestite even your grandmother could love.
1986--The haggard heroin addict who was passing out in his ice cream in five-star restaurants and telling autograph-seekers to "p*ss off"!
The press, of course, spun the story to blame "Marilyn" and the rest of the Boy's entourage for being a "bad influence" on the Boy and getting him hooked on dope.  The press also mocked-up a story how Boy George about how had a zero-tolerance policy for drugs in Culture Club and Culture Club A&R, and then that awful Marilyn corrupted him.  Did Boy George lack the wisdom of age at 23?  Yes.  Was he "innocent"?  Of course not.  He prowled London's seedy club scene as a teen, and Malcolm McLaren got him his start--initial nom de persona, "Lieutenant Lush."  I'm sorry, but a day in the life of Malcolm McLaren would've turned Mother Theresa into a 'ho! 

Fortunately, the Boy didn't die--but he came close.  Certainly, he blew a lot of his Culture Club money on the celebrity doper lifestyle, but he managed to settle down with a tidy sum and mature into a good chap.
:)

Written By: snozberries on 07/28/07 at 10:28 am

I'm a new member of the Jon Lovitz fan club so I blame Andy Dick... seems he keeps hanging out at the clubs passing out coke... the starless (er I mean starlettes) need to take responsiblity, fire the arses who keep telling them its all good, and stay the hell out of the clubs.  I know they are not gonna do that... so the rest of the world needs to stop feeding the addiction. That means stop watching the reports, stop buying the rags and stop going to the films. When we stop allowing the media to profit from our sick curiousity - they will stop headlining these antics and the stars will run out of steam  and realize that no one cares. Maybe when they stop focusing on being popular (er I mean famous) then they can just focus on being healthy....

BtW to Jon Lovitz... please kick andy's drug dealing ass again...

Written By: spaceace on 07/28/07 at 11:28 am

Corey Haim was really messed up until like 2001 I guess.  He was an alcoholic, heroin addict who was bankrupt.  He seems to be doing okay now.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/28/07 at 11:36 am

Corey Haim was really messed up until like 2001 I guess.  He was an alcoholic, heroin addict who was bankrupt.  He seems to be doing okay now.

Didn't Corey Feldman go through some stuff like that too?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/28/07 at 12:18 pm

Didn't Corey Feldman go through some stuff like that too?

Dope.  There's a video clip of him in court twitching from withdrawal symptoms. 

I'm a new member of the Jon Lovitz fan club so I blame Andy Dick... seems he keeps hanging out at the clubs passing out coke... the starless (er I mean starlettes) need to take responsiblity, fire the arses who keep telling them its all good, and stay the hell out of the clubs.  I know they are not gonna do that... so the rest of the world needs to stop feeding the addiction. That means stop watching the reports, stop buying the rags and stop going to the films. When we stop allowing the media to profit from our sick curiousity - they will stop headlining these antics and the stars will run out of steam  and realize that no one cares. Maybe when they stop focusing on being popular (er I mean famous) then they can just focus on being healthy....

BtW to Jon Lovitz... please kick andy's drug dealing ass again...

You know you're an azzwhole when Jon Lovitz beats the snot out of you!

Written By: snozberries on 07/28/07 at 12:41 pm

You know you're an azzwhole when Jon Lovitz beats the snot out of you!

^ ;D

... "azzwhole" .....guess that makes him a complete azz  ;D 

Written By: snozberries on 07/29/07 at 11:15 am

Apparently The Coreys are making a comeback. They have a reality show that starts tonight... :-[ yeah I'm gonna watch.

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/29/07 at 11:56 am

Remember the young actor from Terminator/Detroit Rock City etc..?

I know this is offtopic, but I can't believe those two movies are mentioned like contemporaries now!

He was a kid in Terminator II in 1991, and a young man (playing, like a 16 year old) in 1998 or '99 when Detroit Rock City came out. Huge difference as it happened, right? Yet from a present perspective they're being lumped together! That's just so weird and sad. Sorry, but that's just a pet peeve of mine.

Written By: donnie darko on 07/29/07 at 1:03 pm

marty you should come on msn

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/29/07 at 1:25 pm

Yeah, Drew is really an inspiration-someone who hit rock bottom and came back to tell the story.

One person who actually made it (kid star through adulthood) without being totally messed up-and I have never heard anything about her getting into trouble with drugs, drink, or the law is Jody Foster. I guess she is the exception rather than the rule.

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/29/07 at 2:05 pm

Apparently The Coreys are making a comeback. They have a reality show that starts tonight... :-[ yeah I'm gonna watch.

That's one for the reverse Tivo, if you know what I mean!
;)

Written By: snozberries on 07/29/07 at 3:19 pm

Yeah, Drew is really an inspiration-someone who hit rock bottom and came back to tell the story.

One person who actually made it (kid star through adulthood) without being totally messed up-and I have never heard anything about her getting into trouble with drugs, drink, or the law is Jody Foster. I guess she is the exception rather than the rule.

Cat

Ron Howard appears to have kept his shhh together too

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/29/07 at 5:10 pm

Whether or not they continue to succeed in show biz, most of them do keep their shhh together.
The reason "child stars gone criminal" seems to be the rule not the exception is a former child star who keeps his or her nose clean and stays out of trouble does not make the news.  Besides, celebrity-obsessed Americans envy Hollywood fame, so they revel in celebrity misfortunes. 

A lot of times they interview former child/teen stars who are depressed/mentally ill, who battled drugs or alcohol, or had financial problems...but most people have one or more of those problems at some point.  What's the big deal just because the person was on a sit-com when he was 12?
::)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/29/07 at 5:13 pm

You are right. Ron Howard does have his "shhh" together. He used to be a neighbor of mine (well, one town over) but I never saw him. I knew people who would see him in the local stores or around town but I never did.  :\'(

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/29/07 at 5:20 pm

You are right. Ron Howard does have his "shhh" together. He used to be a neighbor of mine (well, one town over) but I never saw him. I knew people who would see him in the local stores or around town but I never did.  :\'(

Cat

Ron Howard lived in your town?  I didn't know that. 
Robert Urich ("Spenser for Hire," '80s detictive show shot in Boston) lived in Andover and shopped at the same supermarket I worked at.  I don't feel "sorry" for celebrities getting gawked at, but the guy would come in to get a steak and a bottle of Bloody Mary sauce or something, and all the idiots would start whispering, "Oh my gwad, he's here, Robert Urich's here!," and they'd start stalking him and peering down the aisles.  I was like, I got news for you bozos, TV stars go to the grocery store too, show a little class and let the guy be a citizen.

Written By: spaceace on 07/29/07 at 5:21 pm

Tracy Gold (from Growing Pains) was pretty messed up for quite some time.  Anorexia, drunk driving charges, child endangerment charges.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/29/07 at 6:00 pm

Ron Howard lived in your town?  I didn't know that. 
Robert Urich ("Spenser for Hire," '80s detictive show shot in Boston) lived in Andover and shopped at the same supermarket I worked at.  I don't feel "sorry" for celebrities getting gawked at, but the guy would come in to get a steak and a bottle of Bloody Mary sauce or something, and all the idiots would start whispering, "Oh my gwad, he's here, Robert Urich's here!," and they'd start stalking him and peering down the aisles.  I was like, I got news for you bozos, TV stars go to the grocery store too, show a little class and let the guy be a citizen.

Where I USED to live-just north of Brattleboro. I lived in West Dummerston and Ron lived (don't know if he still does) in Dummerston.

Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...