inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Do you still buy VHS tapes?

Written By: whistledog on 07/28/07 at 5:07 pm

Apart from blank ones, and music related ones, I no longer buy VHS tapes.  At one point, I had close to 1000 of them, but I soon realized they take up more space than I have, so I took them to pawn shops all over the area and sold off most of them, before placing an ad to sell off the rest.  I tell ya, it's like a big weight has been lifted off my chest.  I had boxes and boxes of VHS tapes all over my room, barely enough space for me LOL

Subject: Re: Do you still buy VHS tapes?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/28/07 at 5:14 pm

Only buy blank ones-unless I see a movie that I REALLY, REALLY want to get that is dirt cheap-but that hasn't happen for many years now.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/28/07 at 5:15 pm

My wife still brings home pre-recorded movie VHS tapes from somewhere.

Written By: La Roche on 07/28/07 at 5:17 pm

There are some things that just never got copied to DVD. I have a lot of King of the Deathmatch video tapes from Japan and to my knowledge they've never been put on DVD (apart from a couple of best of compilations). On the very very rare occasions when I see such things or similar things on e-bay I will purchase them.

Written By: Jessica on 07/28/07 at 5:54 pm

There are a few things I still get on VHS, usually foreign movies that haven't been released on to DVD or cheap cartoons for Jason (I found a Blue's Clues he didn't have for $3).

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/28/07 at 6:52 pm

I never got around to buying a VCR.  :-\\

Written By: whistledog on 07/28/07 at 6:57 pm

I never got around to buying a VCR.   :-\\

:o

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/28/07 at 7:38 pm

I stopped buying VHS tapes along time ago.

Written By: audkal on 07/28/07 at 9:55 pm

I still buy blank videos and sometimes buy new/used videos of cartoons and such (I just did about a week ago).

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/28/07 at 10:02 pm

Yes, I still buy VHS all the time. Usually the ones that I buy are movies for Vaughn....or, cheesy 70's and 80's movies that are usually out of print...so I buy them and sell them on Ebay, and make a TON more than I paid for them. Believe it or not, there are still a lot of people out there that buy them!

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/29/07 at 8:01 am

I buy blank ones all the time for recording. As far as actual movies....I've been shopping at secondhand stores since 1998, when I started really picking up on '80s and earlier '90s movies I liked. I do the same thing now, and it's even more nostalgic, lol.

Same thing with music. I buy cheap/used audio tapes alot too. Even if there's not really a "need" for them anymore, there's a part of me that's too attached to VHS or boombox-type technology to ever give it up. ;)

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/29/07 at 8:32 am

I never have brought VHS tapes for secondhand stores or charity shops, for the tape inside can be mangeld up.

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/29/07 at 8:59 am

^Just from personal experience, that's never happened to me in 9 years. Oh, a few definitely have had signs of heavy use (usually those are even cheaper!), but everything has always worked pretty well.

Written By: snozberries on 07/29/07 at 11:02 am

I am OCD about recording stuff but unforntunately not so dilligent in labeling. As a result I have a closet with about 200 unlabeled vhs tapes with stuff I recorded on them. Now I have a stack of unlabeled DVDs sitting with a thick layer of dust on the top one.  There will never be enough time to watch everything I own but my OCD won't let me not tape because I may have to watch that again one day (if I can find it  :-[ ).

I still have vhs of some films I haven't purchased on DVD yet or some of my favorites that aren't yet available on DVD. I could record them to dvd but I am afraid of losing them in an unlabeled stack  ;D

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/31/07 at 5:29 pm

I haven't bought a VHS tape in a couple of years, maybe 3 or so. There actually starting to get pretty hard to find these days. As much as I hate to say it, seeing as how I grew up with it, VHS is pretty much dead :(

Written By: gumbypiz on 07/31/07 at 5:46 pm

I never have brought VHS tapes for secondhand stores or charity shops, for the tape inside can be mangeld up.

I haven't purchased a VHS tape since 2000. Don't have a VCR anymore. With a PC and a DVD recorder, who needs 'em.

BTW, the best tapes you can get are the ones from a secondhand, pawn or charity store. A lot of the tapes are not labeled correctly, both personal and commercial recording mish-moshes of someones odd collection of recorded stuff. You never know what off the wall stuff you'll find! :D

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/31/07 at 5:52 pm

Only if they're dirt cheap.

Written By: coqueta83 on 07/31/07 at 5:57 pm

I am OCD about recording stuff but unforntunately not so dilligent in labeling. As a result I have a closet with about 200 unlabeled vhs tapes with stuff I recorded on them. Now I have a stack of unlabeled DVDs sitting with a thick layer of dust on the top one.  There will never be enough time to watch everything I own but my OCD won't let me not tape because I may have to watch that again one day (if I can find it  :-[ ).

I probably have several large boxes full of recorded stuff on VHS but I was very lazy and didn't label about 85% of those tapes. I have yet to get around to seeing what is on these tapes! When I recorded TV shows and stuff years ago, I had this attitude that I would remember what is on these tapes and I can label them "later". HA! HA! HA!

I would buy VHS tapes only if the movie is super-rare and unable to locate on DVD. I already have hundreds of VHS tapes cluttered around my home.  :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/31/07 at 6:02 pm

I haven't purchased a VHS tape since 2000. Don't have a VCR anymore. With a PC and a DVD recorder, who needs 'em.

BTW, the best tapes you can get are the ones from a secondhand, pawn or charity store. A lot of the tapes are not labeled correctly, both personal and commercial recording mish-moshes of someones odd collection of recorded stuff. You never know what off the wall stuff you'll find! :D
I had to by a VHS Player two years so that I could watch programmes for the Open University Mathematics course, I manage to buy a cheap model for the stores, but it has never been used since.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/31/07 at 6:35 pm

I still have vhs of some films I haven't purchased on DVD yet or some of my favorites that aren't yet available on DVD. I could record them to dvd but I am afraid of losing them in an unlabeled stack  ;D

You too? I KNOW that I have copies of many things but who knows where it is. I'm sure they are on ONE of the recorded tapes that aren't labeled.  :-[

When it comes to recording the DVDs, Carlos does that so he labels them.

Cat

Written By: star500 on 07/31/07 at 6:38 pm

My family hasn't bought a new VHS tape in about 3 years. We still buy blank tapes though to tape movies on though. People should continue to tape stuff off the TV, because unless you have a Tivo or something, you can't get stuff off of the TV unless you tape it. We still have tons of old movies taped onto blank VHS tapes.

Written By: KKay on 07/31/07 at 8:33 pm

wow. i don't even tape shows anymore. i need to clean out my vhs collection.

Written By: NbC on 08/01/07 at 12:01 pm

Nope! 

I don't really buy DVD's either because I know they will come up with something better down the road (blu-ray) and then you end up with another large collection of movies in an out dated format.

Written By: woops on 08/02/07 at 10:53 pm

only music videos and vintage animation

Written By: Abix on 08/04/07 at 6:46 pm

Up until about 3 yrs ago, I only had VHS.. I didn't even own a DVD player. I have about 3000 movies.. unfortunately about 2000 of them are on VHS tapes. I bought one of those DVD/VHS combo players a few years ago and I still have my handy VCR.  I'm obsessive about taping ER and Law & Order SVU on Tues and Thurs nights.. even though I've bought the DVD collections as they've come out.. but maybe that's my own bit of OCD. I used to tape NYPD blue also.. (I have bought the DVD collections of those as well. ) Now I've resorted to taping Scott Baio: 45 and Single and a few of Johan Santana's games. I'm nuts, because I know there are DVD Recorders, and TIVO out there, but I'm ever so resistant to new technology until I have no choice.  I know inevitably I'll be stuck with a bunch of dusty DVD's and VHS tapes, but if we cater to every trend out there, then "THEY" win!  They'll just keep treating us like the sheep that we've become and see what's next that 'they' can create and sell for oodles of money only to declare it obsolete 2 yrs later !  I resisted CD's  also, until cassettes became virtually non existent.  I'm a rebel I tell ya.. ! This makes me want to go watch V Vendetta again ! :P

Written By: snozberries on 08/04/07 at 7:06 pm

Up until about 3 yrs ago, I only had VHS.. I didn't even own a DVD player. I have about 3000 movies.. unfortunately about 2000 of them are on VHS tapes. I bought one of those DVD/VHS combo players a few years ago and I still have my handy VCR.  I'm obsessive about taping ER and Law & Order SVU on Tues and Thurs nights.. even though I've bought the DVD collections as they've come out.. but maybe that's my own bit of OCD. I used to tape NYPD blue also.. (I have bought the DVD collections of those as well. ) Now I've resorted to taping Scott Baio: 45 and Single and a few of Johan Santana's games. I'm nuts, because I know there are DVD Recorders, and TIVO out there, but I'm ever so resistant to new technology until I have no choice.  I know inevitably I'll be stuck with a bunch of dusty DVD's and VHS tapes, but if we cater to every trend out there, then "THEY" win!  They'll just keep treating us like the sheep that we've become and see what's next that 'they' can create and sell for oodles of money only to declare it obsolete 2 yrs later !  I resisted CD's  also, until cassettes became virtually non existent.  I'm a rebel I tell ya.. ! This makes me want to go watch V Vendetta again ! :P

Believe me go with DVR it will change your life!  I never watch TV live- of course this might be why all my favorite shows keep getting canceled but still I love my DVRs ... I use two. 

Written By: Abix on 08/04/07 at 7:22 pm

Believe me go with DVR it will change your life!  I never watch TV live- of course this might be why all my favorite shows keep getting canceled but still I love my DVRs ... I use two. 

I'll probably get one as it's about to hurl over into the canyon of obscurity... Would you believe, I just only recently bought a cell phone in May?? I'm telling you, I am resistant to technology!!

Check for new replies or respond here...