inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Why do people dislike the 2000s?

Written By: popking on 07/30/07 at 5:30 pm

Even people who grow up during the decade seem to not love it the way they loved, say, the 80s or the 90s. The whole animosity towards the decade is pretty widespread, myself included somewhat.

Subject: Re: Why do people dislike the 2000s?

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/30/07 at 5:33 pm

So why do YOU dislike the 2000s?

Written By: popking on 07/30/07 at 5:46 pm

I suppose I dislike the route pop culture has gone (down the toilet) Its not something I can entirely describe. The technology is certainly annoying, the sports have been more noteworthy for scandals and strikes than athletic achievement.  Other than that everything feels "stale." If you include the politics of the times, you could probably form a cogent argument that the 2000s hasn't been a very good decade.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 07/30/07 at 6:30 pm

I think it's because they're the modern age.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/30/07 at 8:03 pm

Because the fascists are flaunting their world domination ans we're not doing anything about it.
:(

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/30/07 at 9:23 pm

I kind of sort of like the 2000's.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/30/07 at 9:47 pm

I hate current times. Things are so much more stressful nowadays, a lot of pressure put on society for different things. Loved ones die off or are getting a lot older, you can't get away with as much as when you were a kid, entertainment of today, IMO, is not as good as back in the day. I could go on and on...but I will just say that I am not too fond of the 2000s.

Written By: whistledog on 07/30/07 at 9:50 pm

I hate current times. Things are so much more stressful nowadays, a lot of pressure put on society for different things. Loved ones die off or are getting a lot older, you can't get away with as much as when you were a kid, entertainment of today, IMO, is not as good as back in the day. I could go on and on...but I will just say that I am not too fond of the 2000s.

The same for me

Written By: popking on 07/30/07 at 10:23 pm

Interesting note, in terms of people dying/getting older, that too resonates with pop culture. Whenever an athlete retires or a music artist dies, or an actor or any other famous person, they always say there will "never be another", yet it always seemed there was someone else great to come along to fill their shoes.

In the 2000s it seems as though that finally has run out.  There really doesn't seem to be very many special or significant things in our culture the way there were. Its quite disconcerting.

Written By: fusefan on 07/30/07 at 10:33 pm

Try being my age in this decade and not having many memories of when pop culture was good. Like i said before, being born in the 90s sucks and i kinda wish i was older. But then again in the 2020s this decade may not look so bad and people will complain about how awful 2027 pop culture is compaired to 2007. So i have many mixed feelings on this decade but I try my best to look at the positives and ignore all the crap.

Written By: Brian06 on 07/30/07 at 10:42 pm

Because people usually dislike the present while it occurs. I'm pretty indifferent overall about right now, sometimes it seems alright then it seems crappy to me the next day. However the '00s will get old with time one day, and they will be better liked for sure. Look at the pre '70s racist and sexist world, I think we're better off now in the 2000s than in those supposedly "good old days". Overall the world is more peaceful now as well than in the early 20th century, 9/11, Iraq is peanuts compared to World War I and II. People live much longer now as well, health care is miles better, and more comfortably. As for popular music, eh who cares, if you don't like it ignore it. It really shouldn't matter to you, so I'm trying to forget about anything I don't like. Movies aren't bad today really even though I don't watch that many movies currently. TV is pretty weak but I don't really care that much about network TV nowadays anyway.

Written By: Fanboi on 07/30/07 at 11:13 pm

...because Debbie Gibson isn't cool anymore  :\'( :\'(

Written By: popking on 07/30/07 at 11:18 pm

Because people usually dislike the present while it occurs. I'm pretty indifferent overall about right now, sometimes it seems alright then it seems crappy to me the next day. However the '00s will get old with time one day, and they will be better liked for sure. Look at the pre '70s racist and sexist world, I think we're better off now in the 2000s than in those supposedly "good old days". Overall the world is more peaceful now as well than in the early 20th century, 9/11, Iraq is peanuts compared to World War I and II. People live much longer now as well, health care is miles better, and more comfortably. As for popular music, eh who cares, if you don't like it ignore it. It really shouldn't matter to you, so I'm trying to forget about anything I don't like. Movies aren't bad today really even though I don't watch that many movies currently. TV is pretty weak but I don't really care that much about network TV nowadays anyway.

Excellent point. Things get better with time. George W may be an idiot, but he's no Nixon, and Iraq is a tea party compared to WWII or Vietnam.  How are things so stressful these days when its actually getting easier to go about your day to day activities, heck, you can work for your job on your home computer without leaving your house. Maybe pop culture is a bit mediocre, does your life depend on it? And besides, I doubt it will stay boring for long. Yeah the 2000s aren't particularly notable, but we're also only 7 years into the new century. And to add to the point made in the quote above, this is a post-1960s society. Things will always be exciting in someway, this century won't start off slow like the 20th century did during World War I or the Great Depression, which were positively dreary years.  Compared to the 19th century, with all its achievements, overcoming slavery with the civil war, Thomas Edison's inventions and Edgar Allen Poe's poetry, the 20th century easily trumped it. The 21st century will do the same to the 20th. Young people should be excited, their going to grow up and grow old in a time where the near impossible can be achieved, especially with all the technology and advancement of science.

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/31/07 at 3:54 am

For a nostalgic '80s and '90s lover and a 25-year old late 1981er's perspective....

This is something I've wondered about, and I think both sides make some excellent points. One thing I'll point out that I've observed from many different people is how widespread it is. Lots of younger people think the modern tech, lifestyle or music is trash compared to the past. his didn't seem to be nearly as common before, when people up to maybe 35 dug what was coming out. But me? Shoot, when I was like 14 I missed my childhood to death (although that was partly due to personal life experiences, and taking in lots of things as a kid, so I noticed when things changed). To say nothing of NOW. Ever since I've gotten out of high school, I've felt like grandpa on the front porch. ;D

Based on what I've seen in real life, as well as those I've talked to on fansites like this, I think the Zeroes just have the timing of being where life started noticably changing from lots of people's "innocent and simpler childhood". This probably is strongest with people who are maybe 16 to 30 right now - the core of the suburban era where kids got their first picture of the world.

While having some different trends and fashion of course, I think the era spanning about 1982-1998 is tied together by quite a bit. It was the time of arcades and old-school video games, VHS tapes, cassettes, MTV, kids playing outside more often, and a world that was advanced enough to be entertaining, but simple enough to be imaginative. Sure, bad stuff existed (violence, crime, sex, the negative things people could do), but the mainstream pop culture seemed to paint a more innocent, nonthreatening picture of it. Even if it did include some aspects, it came off as much safer and milder. So what if some of the songs were cheesy or the movies didn't have much of a plot, it was fun. ;)

Taken on its own terms, I don't have anything against the '00s and they certainly have a few things I like, but it's probably just that I'm comparing them to the past. Seeing the world changing before your eyes and getting away from what's familar is the thing that trips me up the most. When relatives and friends (along with other people) get older and move into different stages of life.

If you've only experienced things being one way, that image will always kinda stay with you. Like, if I'm watching old TV shows and I realize alot of what was around then is irrelevant now. Like the "new" cars on the road would be junkers, or the teenagers are now these middle-aged executives, it's like you're looking at a picture of a nonexistant world in a way. Man, that's just heartbreaking in a way words can't describe, because you know it's just going to get even worse. Since celebrities influenced me so much, I get sad knowing they're no longer at the age I have an eternal picture of. It's so weird that MC Hammer and Paula Abdul are 45 today. Of course they're still very far from old (lots of celebs act and appear young anyway), but it's useless to pretend their late 20s is super recent anymore either.

The great thing about the '90s is that the present was very enjoyable, and yet my very first cozy childhood stuff of the '80s was still not that long ago either. It was the best of both worlds. I can't speak for everyone else, but I think when people rip on the present, it's halfway because of personal experience like this. That and because there are scarier things about today, like the possibility of another terrorist attack or the war.

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/31/07 at 5:32 am

^ That last post got so long I forgot to add this. There are definitely some things I like about the present, but more for conveinenece and mindset...although a few songs and movies are pretty cool, though more scattered. For instance, being able to do so much on the Internet, from going on YouTube or talking to people (hey, that's what we're all doing now anyway!). ;)

Also, I think people respect intelligence or differences of opinion more than before. They'll either applaud you or at least be more tolerable about it. I'm talking about things like choosing not to smoke or abstaining from sex. This can extend to people in less traditional roles too, like women in the workplace or guys who do chores or stay home with the kids.

Even being stereotypically nerdy/dorky seems okay now (maybe because of computers and tech). Back in the '80s or even most of the '90s, kids like that might've gotten taunted and shoved into lockers by school bullies in the hallway.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/31/07 at 10:05 am

For a nostalgic '80s and '90s lover and a 25-year old late 1981er's perspective....

This is something I've wondered about, and I think both sides make some excellent points. One thing I'll point out that I've observed from many different people is how widespread it is. Lots of younger people think the modern tech, lifestyle or music is trash compared to the past. his didn't seem to be nearly as common before, when people up to maybe 35 dug what was coming out. But me? Shoot, when I was like 14 I missed my childhood to death (although that was partly due to personal life experiences, and taking in lots of things as a kid, so I noticed when things changed). To say nothing of NOW. Ever since I've gotten out of high school, I've felt like grandpa on the front porch. ;D

Based on what I've seen in real life, as well as those I've talked to on fansites like this, I think the Zeroes just have the timing of being where life started noticably changing from lots of people's "innocent and simpler childhood". This probably is strongest with people who are maybe 16 to 30 right now - the core of the suburban era where kids got their first picture of the world.

While having some different trends and fashion of course, I think the era spanning about 1982-1998 is tied together by quite a bit. It was the time of arcades and old-school video games, VHS tapes, cassettes, MTV, kids playing outside more often, and a world that was advanced enough to be entertaining, but simple enough to be imaginative. Sure, bad stuff existed (violence, crime, sex, the negative things people could do), but the mainstream pop culture seemed to paint a more innocent, nonthreatening picture of it. Even if it did include some aspects, it came off as much safer and milder. So what if some of the songs were cheesy or the movies didn't have much of a plot, it was fun. ;)

Taken on its own terms, I don't have anything against the '00s and they certainly have a few things I like, but it's probably just that I'm comparing them to the past. Seeing the world changing before your eyes and getting away from what's familar is the thing that trips me up the most. When relatives and friends (along with other people) get older and move into different stages of life.

If you've only experienced things being one way, that image will always kinda stay with you. Like, if I'm watching old TV shows and I realize alot of what was around then is irrelevant now. Like the "new" cars on the road would be junkers, or the teenagers are now these middle-aged executives, it's like you're looking at a picture of a nonexistant world in a way. Man, that's just heartbreaking in a way words can't describe, because you know it's just going to get even worse. Since celebrities influenced me so much, I get sad knowing they're no longer at the age I have an eternal picture of. It's so weird that MC Hammer and Paula Abdul are 45 today. Of course they're still very far from old (lots of celebs act and appear young anyway), but it's useless to pretend their late 20s is super recent anymore either.

The great thing about the '90s is that the present was very enjoyable, and yet my very first cozy childhood stuff of the '80s was still not that long ago either. It was the best of both worlds. I can't speak for everyone else, but I think when people rip on the present, it's halfway because of personal experience like this. That and because there are scarier things about today, like the possibility of another terrorist attack or the war.

Karma! I agree 100%, couldn't have said it better. :)

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/31/07 at 1:44 pm

Karma! I agree 100%, couldn't have said it better. :)

Aw thanks, I'll give you one in return. :)

Hey, while we're rolling on this subject, do you ever get a mixed feeling of comfort and nervousness when you could look at certain aspects of the present which aren't too different? Almost to where you could be convinced that not much time had passed at all. Like for me...

-Weird Al at age 47 had the biggest hit of his entire career late last year and still appears as young/cool as ever, with all the references to pop culture and the standards he still does (i.e. Al-TV). In a way he might even seem YOUNGER than in the '80s since he no longer has his then-trademark glasses and mustache. He still puts on as energetic and fun live concerts as ever, from what I've heard, and probably won't stop anytime soon.
-Guys like Brad Pitt and Johnny Depp still are like young men and are arguably as successful as they were when they started out.
-Secondhand stores still have lots of cassettes, and suburbia has old-school malls and arcades that aren't vastly different than they were in the actual '80s and '90s.
-Green Day are maybe even more popular now than in 1994 when they first peaked...the guys, while showing a broader range of subjects, still have a teen surfer dude vibe to them.
-Paula Abdul is still a household name (American Idol is slightly different, but it's even music-related too!) and is quite youngish both in her personality and appearance. She seems to have lots of fun with people, and actually only looks a few years older than in the "Straight Up" era.
-Saturday Night Live is still on the air, even if it declined in quality a few times.

See, I could take all these examples (and lots more), look at it and say "Whoa dude I guess not that much has changed since my early '90s childhood!" Yet at the same time, it almost makes me even more worryful 'cause it's like you don't know how long that's going to last. When even the youngish people start getting noticeably older or the standards/traditions with more permanence begin to fade, that's when you really know things are different. It's like the world's way of telling you no person or thing is immortal or resistant to time.

P.S. Yeah I know someone could look at this and say, "Hey it's not like you personally KNOW any of these people...and even if you get to meet them, it's not like they're your family...what do you care?" (I bet people have thought that about me. ;D ) Well, I guess I can answer that by saying pop culture and celebrities were just something that influenced me alot as a kid and pervaded my life in lots of ways. So in an indirect way I kinda do "know" them. I just want to feel like they still aren't that different as when I was 8 or 10 years old.

Written By: popking on 07/31/07 at 1:53 pm

A lot of the problem seems to be the 90s carry overs. It makes things seem more tired out, what we need is something fresh.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/31/07 at 1:59 pm

Aw thanks, I'll give you one in return. :)

Hey, while we're rolling on this subject, do you ever get a mixed feeling of comfort and nervousness when you could look at certain aspects of the present which aren't too different? Almost to where you could be convinced that not much time had passed at all. Like for me...

-Weird Al at age 47 had the biggest hit of his entire career late last year and still appears as young/cool as ever, with all the references to pop culture and the standards he still does (i.e. Al-TV). In a way he might even seem YOUNGER than in the '80s since he no longer has his then-trademark glasses and mustache. He still puts on as energetic and fun live concerts as ever, from what I've heard, and probably won't stop anytime soon.
-Guys like Brad Pitt and Johnny Depp still are like young men and are arguably as successful as they were when they started out.
-Secondhand stores still have lots of cassettes, and suburbia has old-school malls and arcades that aren't vastly different than they were in the actual '80s and '90s.
-Green Day are maybe even more popular now than in 1994 when they first peaked...the guys, while showing a broader range of subjects, still have a teen surfer dude vibe to them.
-Paula Abdul is still a household name (American Idol is slightly different, but it's even music-related too!) and is quite youngish both in her personality and appearance. She seems to have lots of fun with people, and actually only looks a few years older than in the "Straight Up" era.
-Saturday Night Live is still on the air, even if it declined in quality a few times.

See, I could take all these examples (and lots more), look at it and say "Whoa dude I guess not that much has changed since my early '90s childhood!" Yet at the same time, it almost makes me even more worryful 'cause it's like you don't know how long that's going to last. When even the youngish people start getting noticeably older or the standards/traditions with more permanence begin to fade, that's when you really know things are different. It's like the world's way of telling you no person or thing is immortal or resistant to time.

P.S. Yeah I know someone could look at this and say, "Hey it's not like you personally KNOW any of these people...and even if you get to meet them, it's not like they're your family...what do you care?" (I bet people have thought that about me. ;D ) Well, I guess I can answer that by saying pop culture and celebrities were just something that influenced me alot as a kid and pervaded my life in lots of ways. So in an indirect way I kinda do "know" them. I just want to feel like they still aren't that different as when I was 8 or 10 years old.

Yes, I do know what you mean. It's like you see someone that you really like....and you wonder, when will the transition happen when they are now considered "old", or a celebrity of the past.  It's crazy because you have all of these old shows on DVD now, and sometimes when you watch them, it's almost like you are watching them for the first time...as if they are actually on prime time TV. Then...you realize that Angela Lansbury isn't as "young" as she was on the 80's episodes of "Murder She Wrote". It's also funny sometimes because every now and then, a celebrity like that will pop up and you will see a picture of them (perhaps at an awards show, or them at a movie premiere, etc)...and you think to yourself..."Oh my GOSH...WHEN did they get THAT old?" :D

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/31/07 at 2:02 pm

^Yeah, like there was this '80s documentary series on VH1 in early 1999 which covered music videos, politics and different types of music influencing the mainstream. For the last several years, when they showed interviews that was my picture of how those people looked now. Today even those "updated" pictures are getting older too!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/31/07 at 2:04 pm

^Yeah, like there was this '80s documentary series on VH1 in early 1999 which covered music videos, politics and different types of music influencing the mainstream. For the last several years, when they showed interviews that was my picture of how those people looked now. Today even those "updated" pictures are getting older too!

Ya, it's really crazy. You know what else bothers me?  It seems like each and every day I learn more about things from the past (or at least I try to). Then, I will learn about a celebrity or someone famous and really start liking them....but then, I think to myself...they have been dead since before I was even born. That kind of stuff makes me sad. It's like they can never do anything more with their talents, because they no longer exist. :(

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/31/07 at 2:06 pm

Ya, it's really crazy. You know what else bothers me?  It seems like each and every day I learn more about things from the past (or at least I try to). Then, I will learn about a celebrity or someone famous and really start liking them....but then, I think to myself...they have been dead since before I was even born. That kind of stuff makes me sad. It's like they can never do anything more with their talents, because they no longer exist. :(

Yeah, it's sad when anyone dies in a way too.

You mean, like getting into stuff after the fact, to realize it's no longer relevant? Yeah I've done this. I even felt the very tip of the iceberg of all this stuff I'm talking about in c. 1993/'94 when I got into the Pink Panther movies that came out in the mid-late '70s. Since I'd never known of them before, in some senses they reminded me of the then-present time. But then when I realized Peter Sellers was dead and it's like that illusion crumbled.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/31/07 at 2:08 pm

Yeah, it's sad when anyone dies in a way too.

You mean, like getting into stuff after the fact, to realize it's no longer relevant? Yeah I've done this. I even felt the very tip of the iceberg of all this stuff I'm talking about in c. 1993/'94 when I got into the Pink Panther movies that came out in the mid-late '70s. Since I'd never known of them before, in some senses they reminded me of the then-present time. But then when I realized Peter Sellers was dead and it's like that illusion crumbled.

Yes, like for example...I have been really getting into Elvis lately, for some reason. Elvis died the year that I was born. It's just sad to know that he cannot ever create anything new for his fans.

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/31/07 at 2:12 pm

Yes, like for example...I have been really getting into Elvis lately, for some reason. Elvis died the year that I was born. It's just sad to know that he cannot ever create anything new for his fans.

Hey, on an off-note, Jesse from Full House, Jerry Springer, and the guys from Cheap Trick are all big Elvis fans too, off the top of my head. I think his death is more the sadness of in icon of the past being lost for good. Even if he never came out with another hit again ('50s music was already ancient in 1977), if he at least were still living, it would feel like that music was "closer".

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/31/07 at 2:14 pm

Hey, on an off-note, Jesse from Full House, Jerry Springer, and the guys from Cheap Trick are all big Elvis fans too, off the top of my head. I think his death is more the sadness of in icon of the past being lost for good. Even if he never came out with another hit again ('50s music was already ancient in 1977), if he at least were still living, it would feel like that music was "closer".

yes, and who knows? He might have come out with a lot more music in the late 70's/early 80's...not saying that it would have been popular...but still, for hardcore Elvis fans...anything of his would be just fine.

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/31/07 at 2:17 pm

^Yeah, just because it's not popular doesn't mean it's not good. Heck, since the '80s seemed to be so common for older artists re-charting (along with the '50s-earlier '60s nostalgia), I think he probably could have had some comeback hits. There certainly were lots of people influenced by him. So it's sad to think that never had the chance to happen.

I could see him doing a synth ballad easier than I could see him doing Disco anyway, lol.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/31/07 at 2:19 pm

^Yeah, just because it's not popular doesn't mean it's not good. Heck, since the '80s seemed to be so common for older artists re-charting (along with the '50s-earlier '60s nostalgia), I think he probably could have had some comeback hits. There certainly were lots of people influenced by him. So it's sad to think that never had the chance to happen.

I could see him doing a synth ballad easier than I could see him doing Disco anyway, lol.

Yep, it would have been neat to see the possibilites of what else could have come out of him. There were a lot of performers who died way too young...that had so much potential for later years...that kind of stuff upsets me.

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/31/07 at 2:24 pm

Yep, it would have been neat to see the possibilites of what else could have come out of him. There were a lot of performers who died way too young...that had so much potential for later years...that kind of stuff upsets me.

Yeah, especially when you feel like you could've done something to prevent their death (if they died early in life). I felt really bad when John Candy and Phil Hartman passed away since it was so unexpected.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/31/07 at 2:45 pm

Yeah, especially when you feel like you could've done something to prevent their death (if they died early in life). I felt really bad when John Candy and Phil Hartman passed away since it was so unexpected.

Oh gosh, I know what you mean. I loved John Candy as an actor. He made SO many good movies. Sometimes I watch his movies and I think to myself, "it's such a shame that he died when he did".....he surely would have made many more great ones. :-\\

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/31/07 at 2:53 pm

Oh gosh, I know what you mean. I loved John Candy as an actor. He made SO many good movies. Sometimes I watch his movies and I think to myself, "it's such a shame that he died when he did".....he surely would have made many more great ones. :-\\

Yeah, it didn't make it any easier that I was kinda just at the peak of my movie watching phase when he died in early 1994. My heart just sank when I found out that he died, almost like losing a friend, as silly as that sounds.

Didn't he come across as such a likable, nice guy in all his movies? Whether as a nontraditional cool bachelor uncle in Uncle Buck, a humorous, talkative traveling salesman in Planes Trains and Automobiles, or as a stressed-out family man trying to enjoy a vacation in Summer Rental.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/31/07 at 2:54 pm

Yeah, it didn't make it any easier that I was kinda just at the peak of my movie watching phase when he died in early 1994. My heart just sank when I found out that he died, almost like losing a friend, as silly as that sounds.

Didn't he come across as such a likable, nice guy in all his movies? Whether as a nontraditional cool bachelor uncle in Uncle Buck, a humorous, talkative traveling salesman in Planes Trains and Automobiles, or as a stressed-out family man trying to enjoy a vacation in Summer Rental.

Yes, he seemed like SUCH a cool guy. Another person that died way too young, was John Ritter. When I heard of his death...I literally cried.  I loved him in "Three's Company" and some of his other movies so much....and it was so sad to hear of his death.

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/31/07 at 2:58 pm

Yes, he seemed like SUCH a cool guy. Another person that died way too young, was John Ritter. When I heard of his death...I literally cried.  I loved him in "Three's Company" and some of his other movies so much....and it was so sad to hear of his death.

I actually did the same with John died (Candy) as well as Chris Farley, Phil Hartman and quite a few others. I liked some stuff Ritter was in too, and that was quite a shock too, to say the least.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/31/07 at 3:05 pm

I actually did the same with John died (Candy) as well as Chris Farley, Phil Hartman and quite a few others. I liked some stuff Ritter was in too, and that was quite a shock too, to say the least.

Ya, it's like when people from our childhood/past keep dying off...it's like pieces of the puzzle keep getting lost. I know we still have their movies and stuff that they made (prior to their passing away)...but it's like...that is where it all ends. Nothing else can come out of them...and that is depressing...especially when you look at half of the "performers" of today. ::)

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/31/07 at 3:17 pm

Ya, it's like when people from our childhood/past keep dying off...it's like pieces of the puzzle keep getting lost. I know we still have their movies and stuff that they made (prior to their passing away)...but it's like...that is where it all ends. Nothing else can come out of them...and that is depressing...especially when you look at half of the "performers" of today. ::)

Yeah. Like I've said before, I think that's why more younger people and just the population in general tend to dislike the present. There's not that much to subsititute the missing past with. Stuff seemed to appeal to more people back then. Like I've told you before, my dad even likes quite a bit of '80s music, at least in a casual fan kind of way (as did lots of our friends/other adults I remember from growing up) despite being 47 in 1985.

To use the same space of time, imagine a middle-aged person today liking 50 Cent or Rihanna. Ya know?

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/31/07 at 4:49 pm

I agree 100%.

Some people may not realize it, but the '80s, and the '90s as well, are both quite a bit different from the '00s. Sure, alot of the things we use today were around then, but did anybody have the ability to store songs on there cell phones in 1985? Was anybody able to download there favorite songs at the touch of a button in 1991? Look at the Iphone. Who could've imagined technology like that just 15 years ago? Not me thats for sure. In 1995 we thought the original Playstation was spectacular, that games could never look better than Super Mario 64. Now look at the Playstation 3, and Xbox 360, and remember that just 13 years ago the Super Nintendo was the best selling video game console on the market!

My point is, alot has changed in just the past 7 years. And I think that's part of the reason alot of people just don't like this decade that much. Alot of people just aren't comfortable with the changes. Of course there are other reasons, the sad political state of our country, an ongoing war, and alot of people just don't like the music and general culture of this decade.

Marty, you are about 6 years older than me but I have a pretty similar opinion about the '80s, '90s, and '00s as you and most of the people around your age do. I wonder if most of the people that like this decade were born after a certain time, like maybe 1994 or so? Not trying to stereotype or anything, i'm sure that there are people born before me that love the '00s, just like there are people born after me that hate the '00s, but it seems like for the most part that those 13 and under really have no idea what life was like before everyone had the internet and cell phones.

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/31/07 at 5:10 pm

^ Yeah. I guess the simple answer is that after awhile things just become alien to you. In past generations, it probably happened to most people when they were around 40. Now it happens in the mid-teens or so, lol. As weird as that might seem, it does make quite a bit of sense.

I don't know if it has to do with being exposed to so much pop culture and world things growing up (meaning it "imprints" you faster) as opposed to worrying about survival the way, say kids in the early 20th century probably did. Like childhood felt safer in the '80s and '90s, so that's why we miss it so much. That and the scary state of the current and future world.

It's so weird that, say Paris Hilton is my age and seems like such a Zeroes person. She'd probably laugh at me for how much like her grandpa I probably sound. ;D You never do know, and it depends on the person, but I do think the early '90s is the very last of the old-schoolers who could get a grasp of the simpler world before the Internet and cellphones. Like, if you were 5 or over in 1997.

Written By: fusefan on 07/31/07 at 5:38 pm

Which preformers of today that you don't like?  ??? I can understand having the favorite actors you grew up with to be replaced with no talent party girls *cough Lindsay*  *cough paris* *cough*

Written By: popking on 07/31/07 at 6:06 pm

The 2000s may seem scary, but they will never be scary the way the 1960s were. What we have now with the war and terrorism is peanuts compared to the horrors back then. So for the most part life is better now. In terms of culture, the 2000s always struck me as a decade that lacked a specific culture. Much of the popular music we have now is either rehashes or watered down versions of past genres. It will be difficult to discern one day what truely represents the 2000s.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/31/07 at 6:20 pm

We live in a dangerous world thanks to incompetent idiots who are running the show. Today's pop culture suck (with a few exceptions-there are a few good movies being produced other than the old t.v. sitcom remakes, a few good songs and a few good t.v. show-but most really suck).  This world is going to hell in a hand basket and what to many people care about-some little rich b!tch gets arrested or not.

That is the short answer to why people dislike the 2000s.

However, I must say, in my own little world, here in my house, LIFE IS BEAUTIFUL!!! Makes me not want to leave it because I know it sucks out there.

Cat

Written By: tv on 07/31/07 at 6:32 pm

2 things I notice quickly when I look at the 90's as compared to today:

The NBA isn't as good as it was in the 90's. I mean I remember the Orlando Magic with Shaq, Afernee "Penee" Hardaway and Nick Anderson. What about the Utah Jazz with John Stockton and Karl Malone. What about the rivalaries that David Robinson(San Antonio Spurs), Karl Malone, and Hakeem Olajuwan(houston Rockets) always had with one another? What about Reggie Miller(Indiana Pacers) back in the day always torching the Knicks? I mean I like the Knicks but Reggie was something else and who can forget about Michael Jordan in the 90's man that guy killed my Utah Jazz in 1998 with his game winning shot over Bryon "Don;t Call me Byron Russel in Game 6 of that Jazz-Bulls Series thus that sjot allowed the Bulls to win that series. What about college basketball you''ll never see a team like the 1991-1993 Michigan Wolverines again or the Fab Five as the called them back in the day in that they were fun to watch.

Man what about the music back than too: Stone Temple Pilots, Soul Asylum, Collective Soul, Silverchair,  Better Than Ezra Live, old school "Goo Goo Dolls"(I loved their 1995 or 1996 hit "Name" and another song too by them that year), and the pop-punk band "Offspring". What about R&B in the 90's: Toni Braxton had a smooth voice, Montell Jordan was cool too as was Tevin Campbell, Babyface, and Brian McKinight. Most of todays music overall is just too sanatized. Heck even early 90's Johnny Gill and Keith Sweat were pretty good. I mean I know today's hip-hop gets most of the bum rap(no pun intentended) for being too sanaztized but todays rock music( if you want too call it that) is just as sanatized as todays hip-hop. I mean both rock and hip-hop have been continuing to get more sanztized in the past 5 or 10 years. I like when record labels took chances on artists  and artists took chances with their music back in the 90's.

TV isn;t as good: What about Family Matters, Boy Meets World, The Fresh Prince of Bel Air, Hangin With Mr Cooper, Step By Step. I mean the game shows are ok but they don't keep you interested for that long. I even dug "Its A Different World" back in the day.I mean I consider myself a huge CSI fan but the rest of the shows can go on today's  Network TV. I want the sitcom to comeback in the 2010's which I think it may.

Written By: popking on 07/31/07 at 7:32 pm

^Finally someone made a point about the NBA. There are no breakout players right now besides Lebron James, and the league is becoming a bore thanks to drab teams like the Spurs winning and no exciting young stars yet entering the framework.  In the 90s the rivalries were also far, far better, especially Bulls/Knicks. And who could forget the 1992 dream team? The Bulls with their 2 three peats especially was the epitome of the sport, I hope that type of excitement will return to the NBA.

Reality tv is so tired out at this point, and its affects on tv have been dreadful, everything seems so boring trying to be "realistic" yet clearly not.

As for the music culture being bad, I can't help but wonder, after 7 years, just when exactly is it supposed to get better? As much as I love CDs, even I have to admit, their dead. Really its a combination of a multitude of things thats been responsible for the substandard popular music.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/31/07 at 9:45 pm

Which preformers of today that you don't like?  ??? I can understand having the favorite actors you grew up with to be replaced with no talent party girls *cough Lindsay*  *cough paris* *cough*

To be honest with you...I don't really like many popular performers of today (that's musicians and actors...I just really prefer the older actor/actresses and such).

Written By: fusefan on 07/31/07 at 10:28 pm

To be honest with you...I don't really like many popular performers of today (that's musicians and actors...I just really prefer the older actor/actresses and such).

I can understand that, change and getting older is a stange thing. But hey! In 20 or 30 years those actors and musicans will look like The Beatles and Cary Grant compared to 2020s and 2030s ect actors and musicians. Who knows!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/31/07 at 10:42 pm

I can understand that, change and getting older is a stange thing. But hey! In 20 or 30 years those actors and musicans will look like The Beatles and Cary Grant compared to 2020s and 2030s ect actors and musicians. Who knows!

Ya, I mean don't get me wrong...there are some that I really enjoy....I just prefer older folks! ;)

Written By: fusefan on 07/31/07 at 10:54 pm

Ya, I mean don't get me wrong...there are some that I really enjoy....I just prefer older folks! ;)

Hey that's fine! I'm not criticizing you sorry if it came out that way.  :) And I like a lot of older musicans too. Most of the songs on my mp3 player are fom the 60s and 70s. and i always wonder about the past a lot too i'm always asking older people what things were like back then. And I love to collect old electronics and things from the past.

Written By: coqueta83 on 07/31/07 at 11:34 pm

I'm really not that enthusiastic about the current music scene, although I do like Maroon 5. I can't even remember the last time I sat down and actually devoted myself to a prime time drama or comedy. If I do watch TV it's usually the Travel Channel.  :D Even movies don't excite me anymore (although I have every intention of checking out the Simpsons movie.). I simply have more fun living in the past. Luckily most of my friends feel the same way, and I can sing along to an 80's song on the radio without feeling like too much of a dork.  :D

Written By: popking on 07/31/07 at 11:50 pm

Theres way too much pessimism about our culture, people thinking its going to just get worse. I believe things in the 2010s and 2020s will actually get better than what we have now., though it will all be a new experience to us.

Written By: coqueta83 on 08/01/07 at 12:01 am

I believe things in the 2010s and 2020s will actually get better than what we have now., though it will all be a new experience to us.

I really hope so.  :)

Written By: popking on 08/01/07 at 12:06 am

Personally, I hate the 2000s, so I agree with basically everyone else on here. In the sense that everything seems a bit new and foreign to me. And I don't try to sugarcoat it to quell my animosity towards the decade, because I think things aren't good the way they are. Cultural pessimism has existed since the beginning of time, its always the same, things get dull for a while and then theres a whole new wave of something else that livens things up.

I suppose its a brave new world.  ;)

Written By: tv on 08/01/07 at 8:09 am

Yeah I liked John Ritter in "Three's Company" and he actually had a hit show on ABC(channel 7 in NY/Nj where I live) going before his death. I was in shock that day when he passed.

Written By: tv on 08/01/07 at 8:14 am

^Finally someone made a point about the NBA. There are no breakout players right now besides Lebron James, and the league is becoming a bore thanks to drab teams like the Spurs winning and no exciting young stars yet entering the framework.  In the 90s the rivalries were also far, far better, especially Bulls/Knicks. And who could forget the 1992 dream team? The Bulls with their 2 three peats especially was the epitome of the sport, I hope that type of excitement will return to the NBA.

Reality tv is so tired out at this point, and its affects on tv have been dreadful, everything seems so boring trying to be "realistic" yet clearly not.

As for the music culture being bad, I can't help but wonder, after 7 years, just when exactly is it supposed to get better? As much as I love CDs, even I have to admit, their dead. Really its a combination of a multitude of things thats been responsible for the substandard popular music.
I actually didn;t mind the music scene in 2001-2002 and 2003-mid 2005 music was still listenable but in 2007 music I just don;t like it.  Still even 2001 is not as good musically as say 1998 was. The teen-pop in 1999-2000 was just all over the place that you just got tired of its overexposure real fast.

Written By: tv on 08/01/07 at 8:19 am

Lindsay and Paris will never be as heralded as John Ritter no way. Paris is just popular because of the media I mean what has she shas accomplished? nothing. As far as Lindsay goes I don;t know if she's a good actress or what because we hear more about her crashing cars and being in rehab than we do that than the movies that she's in.

Written By: tv on 08/01/07 at 8:33 am

I think the difference now and say 1996 in the NBA is that alot of High School Players before the rule came into effect that they had to spend 1 year playing college ball before going to the NBA alot of players were just going directly from High School to the NBA. I mean there have been successful players that have gone directly from High School to the NBA like Kobe Bryant, LeBron James, Moses Malone, and Kevin Garnett but than again they are the Jonnathan Benders(former Indiana Pacer) of the world who went directly from High School to the NBA and now are out of the league because maybe they should have played college ball before going to the NBA. I mean even Jermaine O'Neal who went from High School directly to the NBA had to sit on the bench for the Portland Trailblazers before he became a star and actually got playing time with the Indiana Pacers.

My whole point about the paragraph above is the players who go directly from High School to the NBA were not learining the fundementals of basketball that should be learned in college thus decreasing the quality of play in the pro game. Now that the rule is in effect that players in High School have to go directly to play college ball for one year I think the rule should be increased that players have to at least play 2 years of college ball
before going to the NBA. I mean in the NFL you have to at least play 3 years of college ball before going to the NFL.

Written By: GameDude2008 on 08/27/07 at 5:25 pm

I'm growing up in the 2000s and this is why I hate it:
NO ORIGINALITY! STALE! NO SOUL! BORING! STRESSFUL! TOO MANY POLITICS! BAD MOVIES. SUCKY MUSIC...the list coul go on.

Written By: Brian06 on 08/27/07 at 5:30 pm

It's the current era, and there's always going to be a large amount of people ripping on the current era. Though a lot of current music is pretty lame right now, even for someone who like me who fairly enjoyed the pop in the first half of the decade, the main thing I don't like is all these gimmick rappers coming out now and going to number one with some lame "hot" song while not even going gold with their album, this wasn't happening like this a few years ago. TV is mediocre, I'm not that interested in it, but there's some ok shows out. Movies are probably the most respectable part of 2000s pop culture but generally there's always enough good movies in every decade to make it good.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/27/07 at 5:33 pm

^Yeah, I can remember back in 1997, there were people ripping the '90s, and talking about how much better the '80s were. Making fun of the current decade goes all the way back to the '70s.

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/27/07 at 7:21 pm

I'll say this again...I think alot of the hate people reap upon modern times (myself sometimes included) comes from comparing it to the past, both pop culturally and personally. Aside from the darker and gloomier political atmosphere, a lack of variety or generally memorable music, or the decline of more "innocent" entertainment that pervaded in the past, there's plain fact that it's simply "not the '80s" or "not the '90s". There just comes a time where things become alien to you because you're already comfortable with what preceeded it. Sure, if this decade fell out of the sky with nothing else to base it on, I think it would probably be received better, but when lots of people think it's lame compared to the past, you have to wonder if it's correct. ;)

Yes, people have said stuff like this as far back as the 1950s in relation to older times (i.e. "You hoodlum kids and your stinkin' rock and roll music! We didn't do this garbage back in the Depression!" ;D), but not in such huge populated numbers.

Check for new replies or respond here...