inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Netiquette - How technology has ruined life for our kids

Written By: audkal on 07/31/07 at 9:52 pm

Thought this was an interesting article--

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19983210/wid/11915829?gt1=10150

Subject: Re: Netiquette - How technology has ruined life for our kids

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/31/07 at 10:00 pm

Yes, that was a very interesting article, Audrey. This is just the reason why I miss my youth so much...things have changed so much...and it's not for the good. :-\\

Written By: Haynsoul on 07/31/07 at 10:42 pm

Was that article being serious?  She used words like "newfangled" and "tomfoolery" and claims she worked 32 hours a day as a child laborer...how can you work 32 hours in one day?  :o

Written By: whistledog on 07/31/07 at 10:47 pm

A very good article yes!  The kids today have it real easy, and sometimes don't really realize just how good they have it.  

When I was a kid growing up, I had a TV that only got 13 channels, and an Atari with games that got boring after 5 minutes.  I admit that in today's times, I probably would go crazy without DVDs, computers, the Internet, but I could survive without it because I knew what it was like before all these high tech gizmos and top technology came into the market.  

I forget who it was, but long ago when I was still a newbie, one of the young members of the boards mentioned how he thought Atari games were boring and not fun, and that got me thinking about how alot of today's youth don't realize that yesterday's technology was at the time top of the line.  I remember when the original 8-Bit Nintendo came out in the mid 80s, I was like "Man, it just doesn't get any better than this".  Who knew that it would ?

It's kind of scary just how much technology advances.  I mean what's left?  A real virtual reality world with computer chips inside everyone's head? I mean look at today's video games.  Just how much more real can it possibly get? :o

Written By: Haynsoul on 07/31/07 at 11:01 pm

A very good article yes!  The kids today have it real easy, and sometimes don't really realize just how good they have it. 

When I was a kid growing up, I had a TV that only got 13 channels, and an Atari with games that got boring after 5 minutes.  I admit that in today's times, I probably would go crazy without DVDs, computers, the Internet, but I could survive without it because I knew what it was like before all these high tech gizmos and top technology came into the market. 

I forget who it was, but long ago when I was still a newbie, one of the young members of the boards mentioned how he thought Atari games were boring and not fun, and that got me thinking about how alot of today's youth don't realize that yesterday's technology was at the time top of the line.  I remember when the original 8-Bit Nintendo came out in the mid 80s, I was like "Man, it just doesn't get any better than this".  Who knew that it would ?

It's kind of scary just how much technology advances.  I mean what's left?  A real virtual reality world with computer chips inside everyone's head? I mean look at today's video games.  Just how much more real can it possibly get? :o

Is that really a bad thing? Hell if it allows your actual body to move in the VR game then that would be WAY more healthier than an Atari. I already see it happening with the Wii.

I agree with some parts of the article but it seems to blame the children for using the technology...yeah like we could go out and buy the PS2 and our computers with broadband internet connection on our own.  ::)

Written By: La Roche on 07/31/07 at 11:16 pm

Was that article being serious?  She used words like "newfangled" and "tomfoolery" and claims she worked 32 hours a day as a child laborer...how can you work 32 hours in one day?  :o

... it's errr... called... errr.. satire.

Written By: Haynsoul on 07/31/07 at 11:21 pm

... it's errr... called... errr.. satire.

That's why I was asking if the article was being serious.  ???

Written By: whistledog on 07/31/07 at 11:22 pm

Is that really a bad thing? Hell if it allows your actual body to move in the VR game then that would be WAY more healthier than an Atari

It would be cool yes, but to me video games should be to get away from reality, which is what makes the older games with cartoon style graphics better than the games of today.  I like the sports games of today, but I want to sit in my home and play them, not strap on some VR suit and actually be on the ice shooting the pucks.  I'm way too frikken lazy for that ;D

Written By: Haynsoul on 07/31/07 at 11:29 pm

It would be cool yes, but to me video games should be to get away from reality, which is what makes the older games with cartoon style graphics better than the games of today.  I like the sports games of today, but I want to sit in my home and play them, not strap on some VR suit and actually be on the ice shooting the pucks.  I'm way too frikken lazy for that ;D

VR will take you away from reality to the point where you can't even tell the difference between fantasy and the real world. Wouldn't that be much cooler?  :D

Written By: whistledog on 07/31/07 at 11:31 pm

VR will take you away from reality to the point where you can't even tell the difference between fantasy and the real world. Wouldn't that be much cooler?  :D

What if you forgot you were in a game though?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/01/07 at 1:06 am

Let's not do this geriatric "when I was a kid" business.
When I was a kid wrote snarky text messages too:
http://www.featurepics.com/FI/Thumb/20060625/FrontPageNotepadPenClose42016.jpg

She makes an interesting point---
If you ask them, kids say they don't like technology, but they use it as an "organic" part of life.
Duh.
Godfrey Reggio made this very same point before the Internet, the cellphone, and the Blackberry.  In his 1982 film Koyaanisqatsi (Hopi: Crazy life; life out of balance) his most salient point was that we do not use technology; we are in and of technology itself.  The general response to the film (with its frantic minimalist soundtrack by Philip Glass) was one of deep alienation.  People did not like what they saw because it portrayed mankind as part of a self-destructive machine laying waste to the environment.  Look it up on YouTube.  Plenty of clips posted. 
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085809/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPY6jTiCMh8

What technophobes must remember is that life before "technology" was no utopia either. 

Written By: whistledog on 08/01/07 at 1:07 am

Let's not do this geriatric "when I was a kid" business.
When I was a kid wrote snarky text messages too:
http://www.featurepics.com/FI/Thumb/20060625/FrontPageNotepadPenClose42016.jpg

ah, the ultimate Text Messaging ;D

Written By: danootaandme on 08/01/07 at 5:58 am

A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away....I took a trip to England, visited Scotland, hitchhiked to Paris.  All in all I was gone 3 months and in that time sent letters home to my friends and family.  Many of those letters were saved and it is fun to just hold them in your hand, and reread them.  That is the sad part of email and IMs. 

Written By: tv on 08/01/07 at 9:37 am

Yes, that was a very interesting article, Audrey. This is just the reason why I miss my youth so much...things have changed so much...and it's not for the good. :-\\
I'm sure your parents said the same thing or something to that effect when they were in their 40's on how some things have changed so much and not for the better. I know you yourself are only 30 years old I think but I;m just using an example.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/01/07 at 12:56 pm

I'm sure your parents said the same thing or something to that effect when they were in their 40's on how some things have changed so much and not for the better. I know you yourself are only 30 years old I think but I;m just using an example.

yes, they absolutely do. My parents (especially my mom) ALWAYS talks about the 50's and 60's...and wishes that she could go back...and then I say to her, "if you ever find a way, please take me with you" ;)

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/01/07 at 4:09 pm

I agree with some things in this article. When I was a kid in the 1990's we didn't have a computer, cell phone, or mp3 players, but i'm not sure I agree with the writer as a whole. And I do get tired or the whole "kids these day" argument. People have been using it since at least the '60s when television was supposedly "ruining" childhood.

Written By: popking on 08/01/07 at 4:13 pm

I don't agree with the entire tone of the article, but some things I do. The internet is unhealthy in the way it can keep people inside for hours at a time.

Check for new replies or respond here...