inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When will CDs go away?

Written By: popking on 08/01/07 at 1:15 pm

I know this has been talked about in length, I made a previous post about this, but it was too speculatory in tone with its farfetched predictions, since there have been multiple posts about technology, I thought this was appropriate. But one of the fascinating puzzles I've been trying to solve is what will become of CDs at a time where they are starting to plunge in sales. iTunes isn't picking up the slack of lost revenues either, in fact the artists and labels are now rebelling against it, Eminem just filed a lawsuit a few days ago, and Universal Music may pull their whole catalogue from the store because it hasn't renewed its contract. And of course we've talked to death about piracy and its impact. Not to mention few teens these days still buys CDs.

At what point in time do you think CDs will just dissapear the way 8 track and cassettes did? Especially with all the stores closing. Of course they'll always sort of be around, maybe more of a niche offering like vinyl. What do you think will replace them, or will it be just all digital?

Subject: Re: When will CDs go away?

Written By: Step-chan on 08/01/07 at 3:48 pm

I don't think they will go away anytime soon, at least I hope not. I prefer buying CDs myself, I'd never do any downloading online.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/01/07 at 3:52 pm

Yeah, I think CD's will last for awhile, kind of like how records were around for a long time. I could see them still being sold in stores 15 or 20 years from now.

Written By: popking on 08/01/07 at 4:00 pm

Does anyone still think they'll be the major source for income for the labels?  Or will they just float around on the back shelfs in stores, like vinyl while something else replaces them as the next new thing, if its even physical that is. It seems like their tanking fast, I hope they'll last, I like CDs and the sound quality is unmatched. 

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/01/07 at 4:13 pm

Does anyone still think they'll be the major source for income for the labels?  Or will they just float around on the back shelfs in stores, like vinyl while something else replaces them as the next new thing, if its even physical that is. It seems like their tanking fast, I hope they'll last, I like CDs and the sound quality is unmatched. 

Yeah, i'm not sure if CD's will be replaced by a new physical media. I'd say more than likely, it's in the process of being replaced right now by MP3's. But it will be a pretty good while before we see CD's, and music stores totally disappear.

Written By: coqueta83 on 08/01/07 at 5:39 pm

Hopefully never.

Written By: whistledog on 08/01/07 at 9:38 pm

I still buy CDs.  Of course after I buy them, I burn them as mp3s so I can listen to them more easibly.  I still like having a hard copy .. the photos, linear notes, etc.  Makes it all worth while 8)

Check for new replies or respond here...