inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What if These Rock Legends Didn't Die When They Did?

Written By: gumbypiz on 08/02/07 at 11:17 pm

What would of happened if they lived?

How would the lives of Kurt Cobain, Sid Vicious, Elvis Presley, Mama Cass, Janis Joplin, Eazy-E, Biggie, Jim Morrison, and John Lennon turned out if they didn't die before their time?

http://www.shoutmouth.com/index.php/news/22680

What's so odd about this, despite the note of humor, is that its pretty right on the money as far as what their lives might have turned out to be.

Well thats my opinion, what do you think?

Subject: Re: What if These Rock Legends Didn't Die When They Did?

Written By: Haynsoul on 08/02/07 at 11:35 pm

Biggie - With the fat rapper quota already filled, Big Pun and Fat Joe never rose to prominence, costing society the chance to ever know the connection between hot tubs and champagne, but also sparing the world from the "Lean Back" dance. As a result, P. Diddy is still just a backup dancer. After some time out of the spotlight, he actually got the call from "Celebrity Fit Club" that Shannon Hoon was waiting for.

YES!!!  ;D ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/02/07 at 11:41 pm

Interesting article, even if some of it is halfway joking. ;D

Really though, I think whenever an artist dies their music and image tend to be "immortalized" in a way. That's what happened c. 1971 with the Sixties legends who died, as well as Kurt and Tupac/Biggie's murders. If you notice, both the Hippie era and the Grunge era are sort of considered legendary periods now that weren't considered "cheesy" afterwards (or at least far less so), and this could've been one reason. Like it would almost be seen as disrespectful to trash their music, so people keep getting influenced by it.

If Kurt Cobain hadn't died, I think grunge would've just faded on its own by c. 1996 and he would've tired of fame (which I hear he didn't want and wasn't comfortable with anyway). Then we would've have post-grunge and Nickelback now. ;)

P.S. Sammy Hagar was somewhat popular even before joining Van Halen (his solo career was sort of pop/hard rock, like beginner hair metal but in a less cheesy way), so the "I Can't Drive 55" thing might've still happened. ;D

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/03/07 at 6:02 am

Cass Elliott did not die from choking on a samwich.  She had a heart attack.

Written By: Gis on 08/03/07 at 8:15 am

It always bugs me that so many of these things miss out Eddie Cochrane. He was only 21 when he died and he wrote some amazing songs that everyone instantly recognizes and that still get covered today. I guess he got overshadowed by Buddy Holly dying too.

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/03/07 at 5:20 pm

I think both Sid Vicious and "Biggie" would be in palookaville right now if they were alive.

Sid was grossly overrated in his time, and Biggie was grossly overrated in his death.

Hendrix... he coulda gone either way.  At the time of his death, he was starting to pizz off lots of people in the biz, despite his expertise and talent.

Jim Morrisson would also likely be in palookaville, since he was already well on a self destructive path.  The arc of his career would have mirrored that of Syd Barret or Peter Green, IMHO.

Cass Elliott would have been a career-long performer.  Not playing to stadiums mind you, but cool clubs.  Maybe woulda gone into Jazz and maybe even an excursion into opera.  Man, that girl could sing.

Written By: PhilHarrington on 08/03/07 at 6:03 pm

I think both Sid Vicious and "Biggie" would be in palookaville right now if they were alive.

Sid was grossly overrated in his time, and Biggie was grossly overrated in his death.

Hendrix... he coulda gone either way.  At the time of his death, he was starting to pizz off lots of people in the biz, despite his expertise and talent.

Jim Morrisson would also likely be in palookaville, since he was already well on a self destructive path.  The arc of his career would have mirrored that of Syd Barret or Peter Green, IMHO.

Cass Elliott would have been a career-long performer.  Not playing to stadiums mind you, but cool clubs.  Maybe woulda gone into Jazz and maybe even an excursion into opera.  Man, that girl could sing.

Actually, it's 2Pac who's grossly overrated in his death.

Biggie is the one who was overlooked while 2Pac got all the praise (simply because he died first), and it's ridiculous because Biggie is a superior Rapper/MC

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/03/07 at 7:05 pm

With the exception of JOHN LENNON and SID VICIOUS, all those "rock legends" had reached their creative zenith at the time of their deaths. 

JOHN LENNON:  Lennon was a creative genius.  After the Beatles split, he was in a miasma of dope and confusion.  Then he settled down and took five years off from public life to be there for Sean's early childhood, as he was not for Julian.  Lennon didn't miss a beat when he decided to step back into the limelight.  The "Double Fantasy" album was a smash success yielding Top 10 hits with "Watching the Wheels" and "Woman."  John and Yoko were making a comeback that would be universally welcomed.  A lot of fans, myself included, who favored John and Yoko's more experimental side see "Double Fantasy" as bubblegum (which to me doesn't mean it's necessarily bad).  One can only speculate on the kind of projects Lennon would have embarked on in his mature years.  Remember, 40 is old for a rocker, but young for a composer, and Lennon was only 40 when we lost him.
:\'(

McCartney and Harrison also had their experimental sides, yet neither pursued experimentation after the breakup.  McCartney might be content with schlock, but Lennon was to restless a creative spirit to simply churn out crowd pleasers.

SID VICIOUS:  Sid is excepted on a technicality.  He had no creativity; therefore, he had no creative zenith to reach.  Sid was a talentless hoodlum put forward as a joke by Malcolm McLaren.  He has given two generations of teenagers the idea that you can be a rock music legend merely by doing lots of drugs and being a total azzwhole!
::)

If Elvis had kept living exactly as he had been in 1977, he would now weight 4000 pounds and would be buying OxyContin by the boxcar-full!
;)

Written By: Red Ant on 08/04/07 at 12:02 am

If Elvis had kept living exactly as he had been in 1977, he would now weight 4000 pounds and would be buying OxyContin by the boxcar-full!
;)

Rush Limbaugh is Elvis???  :D

Funny article, and though I disagree with Layne Staley's and Kurt Cobain's "futures", I still laughed... a bit.

Ant

Written By: saver on 08/04/07 at 6:17 pm

Jack Wild had the talent as a 'child star' ala Leif Garrett/Shaun Cassidy, but the biz got tohim or should I say the booze and we never heard anything new...then one day he was told he had THROAT CANCER and they had to remove his vocal chords and tongue...WE NEVER WOULD HEAR HIS TONES AGAIN..HE DIED LAST YEAR.. If you got 'it' use it ...we miss a lot of the talent  that has left us...
Joh Denver was another I miss, (he never seen 9/11 results, or global warming news to add his genius to the causes),  the but we have a lot of his old work on recordings :-\\. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/04/07 at 10:38 pm

Rush Limbaugh is Elvis???  :D

Ant

Rush Limbaugh singing "Love Me Tender"?
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/08/puke.gif

Joh Denver was another I miss, (he never seen 9/11 results, or global warming news to add his genius to the causes),  the but we have a lot of his old work on recordings :-\\. 

John Denver didn't see the 9/11 results, but he sure had a similar style of flying a plane!
:D

Written By: saver on 08/06/07 at 3:13 pm

[John Denver didn't see the 9/11 results, but he sure had a similar style of flying a plane!
:D

Eh?...I'll have to take that as a lame one as John didn't crash just to hit something...he couldn't reach the gas tank lever behind him(when it's usually placed in the front- and the plane did what it did on its own...(sure would hate to be in that situation)...he wound up 'instant pizza' ;D
RIP

Written By: Howard on 03/06/14 at 2:34 pm

Which Rock Legends you know that passed away that shouldn't have died?

Written By: Ripley on 03/06/14 at 5:36 pm

Which Rock Legends you know that passed away that shouldn't have died?

Shannon Hoon

Written By: Howard on 03/07/14 at 3:21 pm

Yesterday I was watching The death of John Lennon and to find out what could've been if he didn't got shot, Let's say the shot missed him and it went for someone else, What could've happened?

Written By: warped on 03/07/14 at 5:17 pm

Yesterday I was watching The death of John Lennon and to find out what could've been if he didn't got shot, Let's say the shot missed him and it went for someone else, What could've happened?

If it would have hit Yoko instead, I assume many might have cheered.
Let's say it hit no one. John was a family man by then, loved spending time with Sean & Yoko. He was off any drugs...as far as a I know. He would have made more albums in the 80s. He might have helped Julian with his solo career, who knows.
Would the Beatles have got back together? You can speculate all you want but no one knows the real truth.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/07/14 at 5:25 pm

I once read somewhere that John Lennon was to start entering a political career.

Written By: Howard on 03/08/14 at 4:09 pm

If it would have hit Yoko instead, I assume many might have cheered.
Let's say it hit no one. John was a family man by then, loved spending time with Sean & Yoko. He was off any drugs...as far as a I know. He would have made more albums in the 80s. He might have helped Julian with his solo career, who knows.
Would the Beatles have got back together? You can speculate all you want but no one knows the real truth.

If the shot had hit Yoko, John would've remarried.

Written By: Howard on 03/08/14 at 4:12 pm

I once read somewhere that John Lennon was to start entering a political career.

I would've voted for him.

Written By: warped on 03/08/14 at 6:19 pm

If the shot had hit Yoko, John would've remarried.

Impossible to say. You never know if someone will remarry or not.

Written By: Howard on 03/09/14 at 6:32 am

Impossible to say. You never know if someone will remarry or not.

http://www.beatlesbible.com/wp/media/john-cynthia-lennon_003.jpg

What about his former wife Cynthia?  ???

Written By: Howard on 03/09/14 at 6:34 am

Wow, imagine John Lennon for president? http://www.beatcityrecords.com/johnlennon-lfplp1.JPG

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/09/14 at 8:20 am

Wow, imagine John Lennon for president? http://www.beatcityrecords.com/johnlennon-lfplp1.JPG
He would not be president for he or his grandparents were not born in America, plus the fact he could not return to the UK due to police warrant for his arrest on drug charges.

Written By: Howard on 03/09/14 at 3:14 pm

He would not be president for he or his grandparents were not born in America, plus the fact he could not return to the UK due to police warrant for his arrest on drug charges.

That's right I forgot about he was arrested on drug charges.

Written By: Howard on 03/09/14 at 3:15 pm

Let's also say for example if Jimi Hendrix had lived?

Check for new replies or respond here...