inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: MySpace vs. Facebook

Written By: Tam on 08/03/07 at 2:05 pm

I have both.

Personally, I prefer myspace. It is more personalized for me, whereas facebook is a generic background and movable sections.

Facebook has changed a lot of the past few months, adding new applications and such, but the amount of spam that I get in my bulk mail is out of this world. Granted, they make searching for someone a lot easier than myspace does, but the pics in the results are so small that one can only guess if that is the person you are seeking.

thoughts?

Subject: Re: MySpace vs. Facebook

Written By: Brian06 on 08/03/07 at 2:10 pm

I've really never used Facebook so I know nothing about it.

Written By: whistledog on 08/03/07 at 2:14 pm

I haven't used Facebook either.  I'll stick with MySpace cause I've had mine for well over 2 years now

Written By: Tam on 08/03/07 at 2:17 pm

Facebook is similar in nature to myspace, but not as user friendly I don't think.
There is no html code allowed or background making. Other products have come up with things you can add to facebook, rockyou created new codes to work and so have others, but it just isn't the same. And you have to add the applications and give facebook permission to access your information and such...

I have one because my sister decided she hated myspace and switched, now it seems a lot of my relatives back home are using facebook, which is fine - but even after changing the settings in my preferences, my email gets bogged down with so much information it's sickening!

Written By: Brian06 on 08/03/07 at 2:19 pm

Facebook is similar in nature to myspace, but not as user friendly I don't think.
There is no html code allowed or background making. Other products have come up with things you can add to facebook, rockyou created new codes to work and so have others, but it just isn't the same. And you have to add the applications and give facebook permission to access your information and such...

I have one because my sister decided she hated myspace and switched, now it seems a lot of my relatives back home are using facebook, which is fine - but even after changing the settings in my preferences, my email gets bogged down with so much information it's sickening!

No html or backgrounds? what good is it then lol. well then myspace is better I won't even have to bother with facebook!

Written By: whistledog on 08/03/07 at 2:30 pm

The no HTML code thing turns me off right away.  What I love about MySpace is that I can use HTML to make my page not look like a MySpace page.  Blogging sites that don't allow HTML, that means that everyone's page layout (apart from colors, pictures, etc) will look exactly the same

Written By: Jessica on 08/03/07 at 3:59 pm

MySpace. I've heard of Facebook, but I don't like the fact I can't search it without signing up. That turned me off right there. I've also had my MySpace page for three years now, so I don't feel like switching.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 08/03/07 at 4:27 pm

I just barely signed up with Myspace and I really like it.  I've never done facebook - I really don't have an interest in it.

Written By: fusefan on 08/03/07 at 5:20 pm

Facebook because it's more simplier and it dosen't take forever to load and more entertaining groups than myspace.

Written By: Haynsoul on 08/03/07 at 9:06 pm

I don't know anyone in school who uses facebook so I don't use it either.

Written By: La Roche on 08/03/07 at 9:35 pm

I have both.. but I rarely use MySpace and actually don't mind Facebook, more of the people I see on a daily basis use it and often check it more than their e-mail.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/03/07 at 9:53 pm

Myspace, definitely.

Written By: spaceace on 08/05/07 at 2:39 pm

I used to have a MySpace but I've abandon it.  I was having too many problems with it.

Written By: coqueta83 on 08/05/07 at 5:38 pm

I got a MySpace just so I can get access to my class reunion's pictures. I seldomly go on MySpace because it's soooooooo slow!  >:(

Written By: snozberries on 08/05/07 at 6:25 pm

I have both but I dislike the stalker friendly Facebook.  Seems like facebook tells you everything the user is doing, who they talked to, who's page they visited. Plus people list entire class schedules and local addresses on there as well...it's crazy I tell you.

I'll stick with Myspace.

Written By: Gis on 08/06/07 at 1:25 am

Facebook went down in the U.K last week, got hacked into............

A lot of employers are using it to watch what employees or potential employees get up too. It is much easier to steal identities from as well apparently.

I've never used it I do have a Myspace page though.

Written By: McDonald on 08/06/07 at 1:55 am

Dude. Facebook. Nuff said.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 08/06/07 at 2:08 am

I have neither but I notice that Julie uses them both, and I'm sure she uses MySpace more

Written By: robby76 on 08/06/07 at 3:29 am

Myspace has always been my favourite as you can personalize it more and it's less hectic than Facebook.

HOWEVER - I've found more of my old friends on Facebook than myspace, so it's soon proving to be quite the rival.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/06/07 at 2:58 pm

I have both.

Written By: star500 on 08/06/07 at 3:35 pm

I used to have Myspace but I got turned off when I started hearing that sexual predators roam the site a lot and I just decided right then and there, no more Myspace. Also, I didn't like that fact that complete strangers can add you to Myspace. I now have Facebook and I find I like it better because you can add people you actually know, friends from high school, college, even elementary school! Plus you can add family too, I have an aunt and a couple of cousins that have Facebook. I also got in touch with a friend of mine I hadn't seen since around the 5th grade and now I have him on MSN. So to make a long story short, Facebook is much better and easier to use then Myspace.

Written By: snozberries on 08/06/07 at 7:38 pm

I used to have Myspace but I got turned off when I started hearing that sexual predators roam the site a lot and I just decided right then and there, no more Myspace. Also, I didn't like that fact that complete strangers can add you to Myspace. I now have Facebook and I find I like it better because you can add people you actually know, friends from high school, college, even elementary school! Plus you can add family too, I have an aunt and a couple of cousins that have Facebook. I also got in touch with a friend of mine I hadn't seen since around the 5th grade and now I have him on MSN. So to make a long story short, Facebook is much better and easier to use then Myspace.

You can deny requests from people you don't know requesting to add you as a friend... I do all the time

Written By: whistledog on 08/06/07 at 7:42 pm

I get requests from people I don't know all the time.  I never answer them, or delete them, cause it seems if you don't delete them, they automatically delete after so long

Written By: Tam on 08/06/07 at 7:53 pm

You can also set up  myspace to ask the person to verify they know you by typing in your last name or your email address.
That's how mine is set up. That way - if they really want to add me and they don't know the information, they will have to message me and then I decide whether I want them or not! ;)

Written By: McDonald on 08/06/07 at 11:12 pm

The percentage of the Canadian population on Facebook is approaching 10%. That's a bit over 3 million Canucks on there. There is a very present and enthusiastic Canadian community on Facebook. Sometimes (and I don't know if it's just because I and most of my friends are Canadian or have a Canadian connection) it seems as though most of the groups and stuff are created and/or dominated by Canadians. I think it's kind of cool. And literally ALL my friends seem to be on it. 'Are you on Facebook' is seriously a rhetorical question amongst University students in Canada these days.

Myspace and Facebook are really different though, and have different purposes. Facebook is more concentrated on the social networking side of things, whereas Myspace is like the new 'homepage'.

Written By: whistledog on 08/07/07 at 12:35 am

One thing I don't like about MySpace (and this is probably more of "another reason why FireFox sucks") is that whenever I view my page with FireFox, everything is all distorted, but it looks fine with IE

Written By: AnnieBanannie on 08/07/07 at 1:37 pm

Myspace, hands down.  I attended 2 high schools and 4 colleges, and there aren't many people on FB who graduated HS before 2000 or college before 2004.  On Myspace, however, I've reconnected with a NUMBER of old friends!

Written By: AnnieBanannie on 08/07/07 at 1:49 pm

I have both but I dislike the stalker friendly Facebook.  Seems like facebook tells you everything the user is doing, who they talked to, who's page they visited. Plus people list entire class schedules and local addresses on there as well...it's crazy I tell you.

I'll stick with Myspace.

Just the fact that FB requires your real name is a turnoff.  I enjoy being found, but I know some people who don't, and FB really isn't setup for that. 

Written By: AnnieBanannie on 08/07/07 at 1:53 pm

You can also set up  myspace to ask the person to verify they know you by typing in your last name or your email address.
That's how mine is set up. That way - if they really want to add me and they don't know the information, they will have to message me and then I decide whether I want them or not! ;)

I wouldn't send an add request without messaging the person first if it was someone I hand't seen in awhile.  Once someone sent me one, and I had no idea it was an old college friend because he'd grown a mustache and looked completely different!

Written By: La Roche on 09/02/07 at 12:30 pm

I did a little experiment with Facebook.

I needed some notes from a class I missed the other day, I know nobody checks their college e-mail accounts so I went to the online roster, pulled up the names of people I knew sat near where I usually did, did a Facebook search for them, added a couple as friends, asked for the notes and had them within a few hours.

It's very..very.. very.. easy to find people on Facebook.

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 09/02/07 at 5:46 pm

I only recently opened up a Facebook account, but to me it seems not as user-friendly as MySpace. It's more difficult to meet and make new friends on Facebook unless you know the person or receive an invite from someone you have given your member information to, so my vote would have to go to MySpace. :)

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 09/02/07 at 8:42 pm

I prefer Myspace. Maybe because it's geared towards music interests, Facebook is generally social interest. I've discovered many musicians & bands through myspace so I continue to use that. And Myspace seems more user friendly, and has more features (ie: customisable pages)

Written By: Loven1 on 09/03/07 at 12:42 am

I like Facebook simply because it isn't overrun with 16 year old whores.  Not to mention no annoying advertisements, no "Unexpected Errors" and none of that damn bulletin crap.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 09/03/07 at 1:57 pm

I like both kind of.

Written By: scoobydude123 on 09/04/07 at 10:02 am

ya i have both but i dont really use myspace much anymore....too  much spam!

Written By: robby76 on 09/04/07 at 11:46 pm

I'm finding a lot of people abandoning myspace for facebook too (myself included). If you have a good network of friends from school, past jobs etc than facebook is 100% better.

Written By: whistledog on 09/08/07 at 7:06 pm

I have been considering deleting my account @ MySpace.  I never use it as much as I used to.  I just go there to make my page look nice.  I don't really blog or anything like that

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/08/07 at 7:16 pm

Neither.

They're both cyber extensions of teenage social circles.

A lot of interesting people do have MySpace pages (such as musicians and artists) because it's very facile and easier than creating your own website. 

But for the most part, it seems to be digicam pics of kids doing Jell-o shots at Mardi Gras!
::)

Written By: McDonald on 09/08/07 at 11:40 pm

I have both, but I only use Myspace as an auxiliary 'homepage' type of thing, an extension of my Facebook account. Facebook is just amazing for really staying in contact with your friends, no matter where they live. If they're as addicted as most people are, then you can cut the small talk from your next conversation because you already know 'how things are'. Save the phone card minutes for real conversation. Then there's the picture aspect, the apps, the event invites, the sleek design, the groups etc... The only thing I don't like is the unilingual setup. Facebook's only available in English.

Written By: whistledog on 09/22/07 at 1:46 am

I signed up for Facebook, but I have no idea what I am doing.  You can't do HTML, you can't put a video on your page.  So far, I don't like Facebook.  It frigging sucks. 

Written By: Dukefan on 09/23/07 at 6:32 pm

Facebook is more for social networking.  MySpace is about you as an individual. 

I have both.  I like how Facebook doesn't crash all the time.

Written By: whistledog on 09/23/07 at 9:15 pm

I have a question about Facebook.  What exactly can you do on it?

So far all I have is a picture in my profile, and a linked video.  I can't add pictures to my page or anything?  Yay!  I have a blue and white page with nothing on it! O0

Written By: Loven1 on 09/24/07 at 8:42 pm

So far all I have is a picture in my profile, and a linked video.  I can't add pictures to my page or anything?  Yay!  I have a blue and white page with nothing on it! O0

Well if you don't like Facebook, then why don't you cancel your account?   ::)  It's not like you had to sell your soul to create one.

Written By: Jessica on 09/24/07 at 8:46 pm

Well if you don't like Facebook, then why don't you cancel your account?   ::)  It's not like you had to sell your soul to create one.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o283/Nerdprincess1980/Daaaaammmnnn-b33p.jpg

Written By: whistledog on 09/25/07 at 12:03 am

You're just jealous because my sucky Facebook sucks worse than yours

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 09/26/07 at 5:32 pm

I have both accounts set up. I signed on to Myspace because my cousin invited me. Then her sister invited me to join Facebook. Now, between the two, I think Myspace is much more user friendly. Facebook sort of threw me off because it doesn't allow you to do much and you just kinda sit there thinking, "Hmmm, not much to look at or do, so I guess I'll be going now." I am sure it has some good qualities, but myspace is just more fun to look at and converse through. Especially seeing different photos, etc.

Written By: snozberries on 09/28/07 at 6:56 pm

I'm with whistledog on this one.  I work at a university and the students I work with introduced me to both but I just don't get facebook. mostly I feel like its about stalking your friends. They always tell you what your friends are doing I don't like that. Sometimes I don't want everyone to know who I am talking to or what I wrote on someone's wall.

Written By: whistledog on 09/29/07 at 12:33 am

I'm with whistledog on this one.  I work at a university and the students I work with introduced me to both but I just don't get facebook. mostly I feel like its about stalking your friends. They always tell you what your friends are doing I don't like that. Sometimes I don't want everyone to know who I am talking to or what I wrote on someone's wall.

That's what I don't like about it either.  It basically shows everything you do while on facebook.  I'm surprised it doesn't say stuff like "so and so just went to the bathroom to take a dump" LOL

Written By: limblifter on 09/29/07 at 11:20 am

Facebook is the best for what I want it for, meeting old friends and family that I haven't spoken to in a long time. Myspace takes way too much time to load because people insist on putting a hundred photos and videos on their page, like anyone really cares what music videos they're into.

And don't even get me started on all of the stupid "TGIF!" and "It's hump day!" messages that people feel the need to send you. Wow, it's a picture of two camels having sex AND it's wednesday, brilliant!

Written By: snozberries on 09/29/07 at 4:37 pm

And don't even get me started on all of the stupid "TGIF!" and "It's hump day!" messages that people feel the need to send you. Wow, it's a picture of two camels having sex AND it's wednesday, brilliant!

I guess my friends don't love me 'cuz I've never seen that one...

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 10/02/07 at 12:45 am

Omg i no, can u belive he talked alldat crap on facebook. OMG!!!!!!!!!

LYKE wistle, omg, stop talkn sh!t!!1111oneoene

Written By: whistledog on 10/02/07 at 12:47 am

aww but i wanna talk sh!t :\'(

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 10/02/07 at 12:47 am

I, however, chose Myspace. To put it simply, Facebook suuuuuuuucks. I signed up a while ago for it, but my chest wouldn't stop burning from the soul-stealing that was involved in creating said account. I had to delete. The pain was unbearable.

Written By: groovewithjamie on 10/02/07 at 6:31 pm

facebook by a mile, only geezers are on myspace

Written By: whistledog on 10/02/07 at 11:05 pm

facebook by a mile, only geezers are on myspace

pleezed to meet ya sonny.  Excuse me whilst I put my choppers in some polident :D

Written By: Loven1 on 10/03/07 at 5:05 pm

Your sarcastic typing is actually a perfect example of the norm on MySpace.  ;D   When you go into MySpace mode is that how you type when you post your hourly 500 bulletins?

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 10/03/07 at 5:22 pm

Your sarcastic typing is actually a perfect example of the norm on MySpace.  ;D   When you go into MySpace mode is that how you type when you post your hourly 500 bulletins?

Don't even try to mess with our dear Midnightdarkness.
She will steal your soul and eat it up and spit it out
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/15/violent1.gif

Written By: Jessica on 10/03/07 at 10:30 pm

Awww, someone is jealous because they don't get 500 bulletins. Cue the violins! Whistledog, do you still have that violin thing going where they march? ;D

Written By: Midas on 10/03/07 at 10:40 pm

You're just jealous because my sucky Facebook sucks worse than yours

No way, my facebook page is waaaaaaayyy suckier than yours.  :P

Written By: lebeiw15 on 10/08/07 at 3:14 pm

Facebook, but I'm tired of the argument which is "safer" than the other.  C'mon, they're both overly creepy.

Written By: Jessica on 10/08/07 at 4:19 pm

Facebook, but I'm tired of the argument which is "safer" than the other.  C'mon, they're both overly creepy.

Totally off topic, but lebeiw! It's good to see you again! How have you been? :)

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 10/08/07 at 4:49 pm

Your sarcastic typing is actually a perfect example of the norm on MySpace.  ;D  When you go into MySpace mode is that how you type when you post your hourly 500 bulletins?

I can't believe someone on a message board's giving me so much 'tude! This is SOOOOOOoOoOo going in my next bulletin, right after the one I'm currently posting, 'cause God knows I don't want an insane homosexual, chain smoking, asthmatic clown with no apparent genitalia to come into my room tonight, at 11:53, and hang me upside down by my asshole in my own closet! D=

Written By: Jessica on 10/08/07 at 4:52 pm

I can't believe someone on a message board's giving me so much 'tude! This is SOOOOOOoOoOo going in my next bulletin, right after the one I'm currently posting, 'cause God knows I don't want an insane homosexual, chain smoking, asthmatic clown with no apparent genitalia to come into my room tonight, at 11:53, and hang me upside down by my asshole in my own closet! D=

I seriously almost fell off my chair when I read that.

Karma to you!

Written By: lebeiw15 on 11/26/07 at 11:54 am

Totally off topic, but lebeiw! It's good to see you again! How have you been? :)

I'm good!  How are you? :)

Written By: Jessica on 11/26/07 at 3:49 pm

I'm good!  How are you? :)

Can't complain. :)

You should come around more. :D

Check for new replies or respond here...