inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Short-Lived TV Shows of the 2000s

Written By: whistledog on 08/07/07 at 4:35 pm

Even in the 2000s, there have been several shows that had brief runs. 

One of my favourites was ...
Ladies Man 27 episodes over 2 seasons (1999-2001)

http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/5504/castrd3.jpg

British actor Alfred Molina (in his best American accent) played a work-at-home father who copes with living in a house full of women.  Sharon Lawrence played his wife and Betty White played his mom.  The show found an audience and was nominated for a People's Choice Award for best new comedy series.  However, the geniuses at CBS waited a year to air the second season, and by that time, the show had lost it's audience, and was cancelled just 5 episodes into Season 2 :(

In a 2000 episode, both Estelle Getty and Rue McClannahan guest starred, and along with series regular Betty White marked the first time these three ladies worked together on screen since 'The Golden Palace' went off the air in 1993.

Subject: Re: Short-Lived TV Shows of the 2000s

Written By: whistledog on 08/07/07 at 4:45 pm

Another one I loved ...

Rodney (44 episodes over 2 seasons; 2004-2006)

http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/2295/castuh7.jpg

Comedian Rodney Carrington played Rodney Hamilton, a struggling comedian who quit his factory job in order to make it as a comedian, while still trying to support his wife and two kids.  I saw every episode of this show, with the exception of the final six, which for some reason ABC chose not to air.  First they cancel the show, then don't even air the finale.  Are they looking to piss their viewers off? >:(

This series was also noted as an acting comeback for country singer Mac Davis who played Rodney's father-in-law.  The episode where Rodney accidentally shot him in the azz was hilarious ;D

Jennifer Aspen, the lady who played Rodney's wife .. holy smokes is she ever gorgeous! 8)

Written By: coqueta83 on 08/07/07 at 11:18 pm

Reunion (2005) FOX. It about these high school friends who get together after one of them is killed and the entire season was supposed to stretch out over the course of 20 years (one year for each episode) to provide clues as to who killed their friend.

I watched the first two episodes, but the show didn't hold my interest. This show got cancelled pretty quickly.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/08/07 at 11:29 am

Boston Public

Cat

Written By: McDonald on 08/08/07 at 12:34 pm

Andy Richter Controls the Universe

I loved it. It was hilarious but of course it got mishandled by FOX the way they do all their good shows.

http://briansworld.nova.org/pix/tv/andyrichter1.jpg

Written By: McDonald on 08/08/07 at 12:37 pm

Also Whistler, which was a pretty good prime time drama on CTV. They had it for one season, but I haven't heard talk of bringing it back for a second. It was high quality Canadian programming.

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/9038/whistler14hy.jpg

Written By: whistledog on 08/08/07 at 1:28 pm

Also Whistler, which was a pretty good prime time drama on CTV. They had it for one season, but I haven't heard talk of bringing it back for a second. It was high quality Canadian programming.

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/9038/whistler14hy.jpg

It's coming back for a Season 2 with 13 episodes, beginning September 1

That show also airs in the USA on the N Network.  It's always nice to see Canadian shows making waves outside of Canada 8)

also 'Andy Richter Controls the Universe' was great!  Good old FOX ran it into the ground.  If I recall, they shuffled it around timeslots, putting it against heavyweight shows

Reunion (2005) FOX. It about these high school friends who get together after one of them is killed and the entire season was supposed to stretch out over the course of 20 years (one year for each episode) to provide clues as to who killed their friend.

I watched the first two episodes, but the show didn't hold my interest. This show got cancelled pretty quickly.

I knew that one was gonna get the axe

Boston Public

Cat

That one actually lasted longer than I thought the network would allow.  It ran 4 seasons with 81 episodes.  It was still popular when FOX decided to move it to Friday night in it's 4th season.  They obviously wanted the show to fail :(

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/08/07 at 2:19 pm

That one actually lasted longer than I thought the network would allow.  It ran 4 seasons with 81 episodes.  It was still popular when FOX decided to move it to Friday night in it's 4th season.  They obviously wanted the show to fail :(

Which is a shame because it was a great show.

Cat

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/08/07 at 2:28 pm

Runaway, starring Donnie Wahlberg. It wasn't even on for one season...only a few episodes and then they cancelled it. It was pretty good too. It was about a man (DW) who was accused of killing this lady (which he didn't)...but he and he family ran away and took on new identities.

Written By: audkal on 08/08/07 at 3:21 pm

Creature Comforts -- one of the few shows I looked forward to, got cancelled after like 4 episodes.

Written By: KKay on 08/08/07 at 3:23 pm

Andy Richter Controls the Universe

I loved it. It was hilarious but of course it got mishandled by FOX the way they do all their good shows.

I loved that too.

My biggest disappointment was the cancellation of Arrested Development.  It was soooo funny.  I think that it was too smart?  What was the issue?

Written By: woops on 08/08/07 at 3:27 pm

"Do Over", which about a man trapped in his teenage self in the early 1980's

Written By: Silversword55 on 08/08/07 at 6:27 pm

Hidden Palms.

Written By: McDonald on 08/10/07 at 10:14 am

It's coming back for a Season 2 with 13 episodes, beginning September 1

That show also airs in the USA on the N Network.  It's always nice to see Canadian shows making waves outside of Canada 8)

That's great. I was sure that they were pulling the plug on that one because it's been so long since season 1, it seems anyway. Yeah it is nice to see Canadian shows making it abroad. Not just in the USA but also in some of our Commonwealth cousin countries and even in continental Europe. Degrassi, for example, is the most popular teen drama in the world.

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 08/10/07 at 10:17 am

I loved Surface and Jericho - both axed way too early.

Written By: NbC on 08/10/07 at 11:04 am

Was Surface cancelled?  I thought it was meant to last a season similiar to Kingdom Hospital.  Both I loved by the way.

Jericho I couldn't get into but I noticed that they are airing them again.

I was upset that Invasion ended. 

Written By: whistledog on 08/10/07 at 2:13 pm

Jericho was cancelled by CBS, but angry viewers who desperately were upset over that, forced CBS to bring the show back

Check for new replies or respond here...