inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Kill the Simpsons.

Written By: Loven1 on 08/17/07 at 5:16 pm

Damn, this show past it prime a decade ago...why is it still dragging on?   I use to love it back in the day, but now it has just worn out its welcome.   

I suppose the recent resurgence of popularity is understandable with the movie, but let us not forget that the show has been crap for the last 7-8 seasons.  So much for going out on top.

Subject: Re: Kill the Simpsons.

Written By: whistledog on 08/17/07 at 5:28 pm

I still like The Simpsons

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/17/07 at 5:29 pm

I still like The Simpsons

So do I, but I think it's run its course.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 08/17/07 at 5:55 pm

but let us not forget that the show has been crap for the last 7-8 seasons.
Personal opinion. I think the show has gotten slightly better in its 18th season that it was during seasons 11-13.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/17/07 at 7:16 pm

The Simpsons' enduring popularity proved to be a great cash cow for acting and writing talent.  It's a perpetual cycle.  The show stays popular because it's so good and the show stay's so good because it's popular. 

I still say Simpsons has run its course.  It's the longest running cartoon series and the longest running "sit-com" ever.  But nothing is eternal. 
What happens of Dan Castellaneta or Nancy Cartwright gets sick or dies?  They're irreplaceable.

I'd rather see Simpsons end on a strong note after 19 years than when it's a tired old workhorse at 27.

(by "acting talent" I mean voiceover of course!)

Written By: Rice_Cube on 08/17/07 at 7:32 pm

Note that nobody twists your arm to watch the Simpsons, whether it's good or crap.

Written By: coqueta83 on 08/17/07 at 7:41 pm

I still enjoy the Simpsons, even though I prefer the earlier seasons. I wonder how many more seasons the Simpsons will have?

Written By: Loven1 on 08/18/07 at 12:01 am

Note that nobody twists your arm to watch the Simpsons, whether it's good or crap.

You are absolutely right, which is why I haven't been a regular viewer in years.  What annoys me is that many people seem to hold the Simpsons up to such a high reguard that they look at the show as if it can do no wrong, and that is simply not the case. 

I do feel that the earlier seasons are gold, however now the show just has a tired, worn out feel. 

Written By: Jessica on 08/18/07 at 9:06 am

You are absolutely right, which is why I haven't been a regular viewer in years.   What annoys me is that many people seem to hold the Simpsons up to such a high reguard that they look at the show as if it can do no wrong, and that is simply not the case. 

I do feel that the earlier seasons are gold, however now the show just has a tired, worn out feel. 

Can't change how people feel. I put the same rules on it as I put on religion: Do what you want, just don't force your beliefs or opinions on me because I don't want to hear it.

And I agree with you and Max about it jumping the shark. I haven't watched it in a looooooooooooong time, although I do want to see the movie....when it's out on DVD. :D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/18/07 at 12:50 pm

Can't change how people feel. I put the same rules on it as I put on religion: Do what you want, just don't force your beliefs or opinions on me because I don't want to hear it.

And I agree with you and Max about it jumping the shark. I haven't watched it in a looooooooooooong time, although I do want to see the movie....when it's out on DVD. :D

Actually I think I'll see it tonight now that the hub-bub's died down.  I haven't been to the movies since I saw "Sicko."  The sick thing is how few movies I even want to see on the big screen.
::)

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/18/07 at 1:03 pm

Does anyone think the movie might begin its downfall? I've noticed in terms of most pop culture phenomenons, whenever a film comes out, it's usually either towards the end of its peak or the beginning of its decline. Groening hasn't officially said when he'll end it, to my knowledge, but I imagine it'll be c. 2009-'11. Although I think the main reason it's been on the air so long as that it's so familiar to everyone and still gets a big audience, even if it's not what it was in the 1990/'91-1998 time.

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 08/18/07 at 1:25 pm

i agree with the original poster 100%. the show went totally downhill after season 8....there are still a few funny moments most episodes, but it's just become so terrible.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 08/18/07 at 1:27 pm

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  If the Simpsons continues to draw viewers and continues to make money, and also as long as Matt Groening wants to keep it going, it'll stay on the air.  If it tanks next season, nobody is going to cry because the syndication revenue will have them all set for the rest of their lives.

i agree with the original poster 100%. the show went totally downhill after season 8....there are still a few funny moments most episodes, but it's just become so terrible.

Yet, you continue to watch it!  Maybe there are some redeeming qualities to the show after all these years...

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/18/07 at 3:30 pm

I still like the show.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/18/07 at 3:35 pm

The Simpsons has gone down hill aover the last few years and I feel it has passed its peak, and in my opinion perhaps the producers could make less shows per year than now, thus producing a better quality programme.

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 08/18/07 at 4:01 pm

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  If the Simpsons continues to draw viewers and continues to make money, and also as long as Matt Groening wants to keep it going, it'll stay on the air.  If it tanks next season, nobody is going to cry because the syndication revenue will have them all set for the rest of their lives.

Yet, you continue to watch it!  Maybe there are some redeeming qualities to the show after all these years...

um, no, not regularly. only when there's absolutely nothing else on, or i see it when channel surfing.

Written By: snozberries on 08/18/07 at 4:19 pm

um, no, not regularly. only when there's absolutely nothing else on, or i see it when channel surfing.

I still watch the Simpsons. Some episodes bore me a little more now than they used to but for the most part I still get a chuckle or two out of them. Two of the best episodes this season, were Hee-Hawed Couple (featuring Nelson & Bart in a Brokeback influenced storyline)  and Springfield Up based on the British (& American) documentaries that introduce us to a group of children at the age of 7 & update their progress every 7 years

Written By: Rice_Cube on 08/18/07 at 7:40 pm

I liked the one that spoofed "24" and the one back in the day with Barry White and the Whacking Day :)

Written By: whistledog on 08/19/07 at 12:18 am

What I wanna know is when are Jessica and Ashlee going to appear as Homer's relatives ? ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...