inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Japan recalls arm wrestling game

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/21/07 at 2:41 pm

From BBC News Online:

A Japanese arm wrestling game is being withdrawn from arcades across the country after three players broke their arms, company officials said.

Arm Spirit, which is distributed by Atlus, is to be removed from 150 game emporiums as "a precaution".

"We think that maybe some players get over-excited and twist their arms in an unnatural way," a spokesman said.

An investigation has been launched into the incidents and the machines are being checked for any malfunctions.

"The machine isn't that strong, much less so than a muscular man. Even women should be able to beat it," company spokesman Ayano Sakiyama told AP news agency.

Arm Spirit gamers advance through 10 levels, pitting their strength against a French maid, a drunken martial arts master and a Chihuahua dog before reaching the final challenge - a professional wrestler.

It is not available outside Japan.

The is found here.

Subject: Re: Japan recalls arm wrestling game

Written By: Red Ant on 08/21/07 at 8:07 pm

"...Even women should be able to beat it," company spokesman Ayano Sakiyama told AP news agency.

Oh boy. Good thing Mr. (?) Sakiyama is in Japan, not America.  ;D

Ant

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/21/07 at 8:20 pm

I don't know how it works in Japan, but when this kind of stuff happens in America...somebody's gonna get a lawyer and somebody's gonna get sued!
::)

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/21/07 at 8:49 pm

Just goes to show you, Japanese arcades should stick to the tried and true.  Boonga-Boonga is still on the market.

No personal injury lawyer, upon reading the medical reports, was able to keep a straight face for long enough to file a case.  And no judge, upon reading the complaint, would be able to keep a straight face for long enough to rule on it.

Written By: whistledog on 08/22/07 at 12:50 am

There used to be an Arm Wrestling arcade game that I played back in the 90s.  You basically arm wrestled against an electronic steel arm.  If the arm beat you, or if you moved your elbow off the pad, the game would be over.  I used to often wonder if a game like that could ever break someone's arm.

Guess I was right :\'(

Written By: Step-chan on 08/22/07 at 7:11 pm

Just goes to show you, Japanese arcades should stick to the tried and true.  Boonga-Boonga is still on the market.

No personal injury lawyer, upon reading the medical reports, was able to keep a straight face for long enough to file a case.  And no judge, upon reading the complaint, would be able to keep a straight face for long enough to rule on it.

Boonga Boonga, I remember reading about that in EGM(as well as the unedited article on Seanbaby's site).

That game is utter madness, the perfect thing to train for the Kakashi's One Thousand Years Of Pain technique off of Naruto.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/23/07 at 5:22 am

Boong-Ga Boong-Ga, also known as Spank 'em?

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/24/07 at 2:23 am

Boonga Boonga, I remember reading about that in EGM(as well as the unedited article on Seanbaby's site).

That game is utter madness, the perfect thing to train for the Kakashi's One Thousand Years Of Pain technique off of Naruto.

Or 1000 credits of The Irritating Maze!  It was at California Extreme a couple of years ago, and I must have spent an hour sitting in front of the infernal contraption until the blasts of compressed air for every single fracking one-pixel misstep finally made my eyes dry out to the point that I had to surrender and leave in irritated disgust. 

Damn, I miss that game.  Hope it's back in CAX 2008.

Written By: Step-chan on 08/24/07 at 3:21 pm

Or 1000 credits of The Irritating Maze!  It was at California Extreme a couple of years ago, and I must have spent an hour sitting in front of the infernal contraption until the blasts of compressed air for every single fracking one-pixel misstep finally made my eyes dry out to the point that I had to surrender and leave in irritated disgust. 

Damn, I miss that game.  Hope it's back in CAX 2008.

I never heard of that game before.

Written By: gopher on 08/24/07 at 9:26 pm

wow what we would be in cout in the U.S. and wow i bet your arm could get broken !!! :-\\

Check for new replies or respond here...