inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: No Pity for the Majority: Just say 'no' to mediocre entertainment.

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/22/07 at 12:36 am

And the earth was Tohuvabohu -- without form, and void.

What can KFMDM do for you?  Now, for one low price, KMFDM can blow your mind, rock your face off, and jumpstart your heart!  Come, see and feel what KMFDM can do for you!

(Sorry.  Been sitting on that sample for three weeks.  Not that I can tell the difference between 256kbps/LAME, but now that the CD's in my greedy grubby hands, I can confirm that KMFDM takes everything I love about music, combines it, and turns it into a supersonic kick in the ass.)

Subject: Re: Without Form, and Void

Written By: whistledog on 08/22/07 at 12:47 am

I was just thinking about KMFDM the other day.  They were one hit wonders here in Canada with the single MDFMK which reached #18.  Though I don't know much about their other works, I really like 'Megalomaniac'

Subject: Re: Just say 'no' to mediocre entertainment.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/22/07 at 7:23 pm

My friend's noise-music project in college was called "Tohuvabohu."

But I fail to see how the title of this thread promotes the purchase of KMFDM records!

Kill MotherF**king Depeche Mode!
:P

Subject: Re: Without Form, and Void

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/23/07 at 10:30 pm

I was just thinking about KMFDM the other day.  They were one hit wonders here in Canada with the single MDFMK which reached #18.  Though I don't know much about their other works, I really like 'Megalomaniac'

Investigate further.  You're onto something fun.  "Godlike" and "Naive" got significant early-90s play on CFNY, which oughta count for earlier Canadian airplay cred :)

KMFDM usually does (at least!) one self-parody per album.  Part of their appeal is that they're capable of going from dead-serious-political to deadpan-delivered-irony within the same song, and sometimes within the same verse.  It usually takes at least two listens through any album to figure out which tracks are self-parodies, and even then you're not always quite sure.  ("Superpower" off Tohuvabohu is arguably both.)

I'll take a detour to 1996's Xtort for a bit.  KMFDM's the only band that could sing (in the same sort of anthemic happy beats that you'll recognize from "Megalomaniac") lines like like "We got the power / Excessive force! / Industrial soundtrack to the holy wars!" in one track, top it with "Forged from steel, iron will / S*bleep*t for brains, born to kill!" a few tracks later, and still have room left over to re-use one line of lyrics from every track they'd ever released as a single for their own even-further-over-the-top triumphant self-parody.

"Professional Killer" from 2005 presents its case by being deliciously creepy, the "Intro" from 2003's WWIII is pure delight in self-parody, 2002's Urban Monkey Warfare predicted the rest of the decade before even the most paranoid of us did, 2000's "Witch Hunt" was a solid riposte against the self-moralizing twits who tried to blame KMFDM for the Columbine massacre (fortunately, it worked -- unfortunately, it meant the the twits went after video games instead), "DIY" ("Do It Yourself"), from 1999, is both a self-parodist brag and an anarchist manifesto, "Beast" (1995) could be sung by any politician ever elected, "Money" (1992) from the point of view of a drug dealer, "UAIOE" (1989) is a reading of Frank Zappa's I'm the Slime from the point of view of the TV set, and "What do you know, Deutschland?" (1986) twists Kennedy's Berlin Wall speech into something almost precisely 20 years ahead of its time.

But I digress.  With Tohuvabohu, they've hit their stride again.  KMFDM:  20 years of music to conquer the world by. 

Written By: Satish on 08/23/07 at 10:36 pm

It's nice to see that KMFDM are still going strong. I've certainly found their brand of industrial rock highly enjoyable over the years. Their songs "Light", "A Drug Against War" and "Juke Joint Jezebel" were very pleasant to listen to.

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/23/07 at 10:40 pm

It's nice to see that KMFDM are still going strong. I've certainly found their brand of industrial rock highly enjoyable over the years. Their songs "Light", "A Drug Against War" and "Juke Joint Jezebel" were very pleasant to listen to.

Damn.  I knew I forgot an album or two in there!

Just for that, I'll have to send you to BRUTE Propaganda!, the site of Aidan Hughes -- the artist who did the vast majority of KMFDM's distinctive cover art.

Check for new replies or respond here...