inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: the iPhone

Written By: popking on 08/22/07 at 10:25 pm

What does anyone think the effect its going to have on mp3 players? The iPhone price is way too high right now, but once it comes down I could see people buying it in droves the way they bought the iPod.

I could definitely see this having an affect on mp3 players, if the iPod marked peak of the mp3 craze, then the iPhone marks the beginning of the cellphone being the primary music device, especially once the quality of experience improves with better batteries/functions and better storage capacity, especially once the capacity gets up around 20 gigs. Mp3 players will probably start declining in sales when this happens, and by around 2009 the iPhone could well be in the position where the iPod was in 2005.  With Apple on board promoting an all-in-one device, by 2009 I'd say everyone is on board with just using cellphones and mp3 players will go the way of the walkman eventually.

Subject: Re: the iPhone

Written By: whistledog on 08/22/07 at 10:32 pm

I don't really like the iPhone.  It's bad enough people drive while talking on their cellphone, now they can surf the web, watch TV and cause more accidents

Written By: Red Ant on 08/22/07 at 11:41 pm

I have no idea of the iPhone's capabilities, but I found the following link highly amusing:

(warning, naughty language!)

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=iphone

iPhones are like, what, 600$? I have an 8$ Coby (obvious rip-off of Sony) MP3 player that can hold about 200 songs. The iPhone isn't going to replace that.

Ant

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/23/07 at 11:17 am

Don't know if I'm ever going to get an iPhone are not. I just got a cell phone and an Mp3 player last year, so I don't think I need both right now.

I do think you have a point though. If the iPhone really takes off in a couple of years, and the price comes down a bit, then it could take the place of the iPod. But that would be a few years down the road. I couldn't see it happening before 2010 or 2011.

Written By: Powerslave on 08/23/07 at 11:24 am

It's just more consumerism junk. I have a cell that has a web browser, a camera, polyphonic ring tones, blah blah blah. I use it to make phone calls. And that's it.

Written By: saver on 08/23/07 at 10:38 pm

Have you gotten or seen the bills yet..love the way all are urged to SAVE A FOREST AND EBILL...BILLS ARE COMING IN AT 300+PAGES!

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/23/07 at 10:53 pm

Not knocking Ipods in general, but don't they kinda seem like something people get as status symbols just as much as actually using it to listen to music? Of course it's conveinent not having to carry around a bunch of CDs, but it's a little overrated at the same time, lol.

I can see what you're saying about the IPhone though. I'm sure it'll take some time for people to get used to it, and a price reduction, but it's possible it could make regular Ipods and MP3 players less common or secondary. Like Machine Head said though, I don't think it'll happen until at least the early '10s. Product convergence usually seems to go one of two ways - really catching on or bombing. It just depends if people are comfortable with adapting to doing things a slightly different way on a new device.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/24/07 at 11:11 am

^Yeah, I think the only way that it would start to overtake the iPod is if the price came down to a reasonable level(which I'm sure it will in a few years) and alot of people decided that it was more convenient to have a device where they could use to access the internet, make phone calls, and listen to music together. The only way that would happen is if it eventually got to be cheaper to buy an iPhone than it is to buy a cell phone and MP3 player separate which could happen maybe 6 or 7 years down the road.

Btw, It does seem like the iPod is more of a status symbol than anything else these days. I finally got an Mp3 player last year, but i didn't get an iPod.

Written By: gopher on 08/24/07 at 11:38 pm

i have a cell and talk on it and i have a laptop and listen to music on it i could listen to music on my phone or talk on my laptop but i don't but i can talk outside to people and listen to music outside i the best things are free like ears and mouths (and eyes) 8) :D

Written By: popking on 08/25/07 at 2:11 pm

Actually, the more I think about it, it may not happen. In the 2010s I think people will rebel against technology, not embrace it. So the iPhone could very well flop, honestly, the amount of technology crammed inside it is very excessive. Oh well, hey maybe the iPhone will  become the next "New Coke". ;D

Written By: saver on 08/25/07 at 4:58 pm

HAHA! The iphone code has been cracked by a 17 year old....

Turn in your iphones for the next big thing in technology which is a few months away...

Written By: gopher on 08/26/07 at 5:50 pm

don't get into the new thing because  fads go all the time so why get whats in when it will be out tomorrow? ;)

Written By: saver on 08/27/07 at 3:07 pm

What a prediction!

Today online electronic geek touts to wait for iphone2 for the bugs to be worked out of the current iphone....I hear this one has an adaptor that fits in your 'nose' while your ears occupy the bluetooth and ipod.
:D   

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/27/07 at 6:23 pm

This mornin WAMC (NPR) had a "tech expert" on "The Roundtable" raving about how great the i-Phone is an and yukking it up with the panel.  Turns out this "tech expert" works for Apple.

Come on, I could watch MSNBC for this kind of crapola!

Written By: Tia on 01/08/09 at 1:41 pm

Dear Apple:

My iPhone is very pretty but also totally useless because it thinks I’m dead.  I assume it was designed to only recognize live human touch on the touchscreen but I guess my hands are too cold and so my phone rings and I desperately try to answer it but 80% of the time it won’t work at all and I start screaming at my phone and then my husband rolls his eyes and gently touches it and then it totally works and he looks at me like it’s my fault my phone doesn’t think I’m real. 

I’m pretty sure it’s the same technology used on this TV my grandparents had that was all 80’s-high-tech because the buttons on the TV could only be pressed by living flesh for it to work but it didn’t work for me at all and if I was the only person at their house I had to hold the dog up to the TV to change the channel.  And when I pointed out to the rest of my family that this was a dumb feature because it’s not like we’d had a problem with zombies or the refrigerator trying to change the channel they just rolled their eyes at each other like I just didn’t understand technology.

Pretty much the only way I can get my phone to respond to my touch is if I heat up my hands by rubbing them together really fast and then I look like Scrooge McDuck menacingly plotting to steal gold from orphans.  So basically this phone which is supposed to make me look cool makes me look even stupider than before.

What I really want is to be able to use one of those stylus pen things but apparently it would have to be a stylus made out of human skin and when I asked about it at Best Buy they made me leave the store.  At this point my only option is to go back to my old phone or to use the detached finger of a dead hobo which would be difficult because people get all up in arms about that sort of thing even if you do explain that he wasn’t using it and also it kind of takes away from the coolness factor of having an iphone if you have to use a dead hobo pointer to use it.  And now that I’m thinking about it I’d probably take his pinkie instead because it would be smaller and easier to press those tiny keyboard buttons.  But still there would be the problem with temperature because probably the dead hobo finger would be just as cold as my own finger unless I kept it in my bra or something.  I can’t help but think this would be less of a problem if the iphone responded to any touch and not just particularly warm flesh because then I could just use a pencil and not have to think about putting dead hobos fingers in my bra.  And also I’m always misplacing my pens so I’d probably have to cut all of the fingers off all the dead hobos I find so that I have back-ups when I misplace them which would be difficult because I’ve only found two dead hobos in my whole life and as much as I love technology I’m not about to start murdering hobos just so I can use my damn phone.  Anyway Apple, I can’t imagine I’m the only person with this problem so you should probably fix it before a rash of fingerless dead hobos start turning up all over America because that sort of thing can’t be good for your image.  Also, apparently I have a lot of readers from Finland and when they read this those people are probably going to start ripping off hobo fingers too and where Finland goes, so goes the rest of the world and then when the craze gets to Yugoslavia maybe they start ripping fingers off live hobos and blaming it on substandard iPhone technology and then where will you be, Apple?  Screwed.  That’s where.

Save the hobos.  Save the world.

~Jenny

PS. I emailed this letter to Steve Jobs and he totally never responded.  It’s been almost an hour.  Horrible customer service.

http://thebloggess.com/?p=679

Check for new replies or respond here...