inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Ice Road Truckers (ahem...Tam?)

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 08/24/07 at 2:20 pm

They had a marathon of this show on the History Channel Sunday night. I was going to go out and do something but once it came on I was glued to my TV for the next several hours.

I wouldn't go so far as to call these guys crazy, but they've definitely got some huge huevos.

Subject: Re: Ice Road Truckers (ahem...Tam?)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/24/07 at 7:41 pm

Well...
When they announced the program, I thought it would be....rather interesting.
It turned out to be...rather boring.

What's next?
UPS: The untold story.  The hair-raising adventures of the Brown Brotherhood!
:P

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 08/25/07 at 2:49 am

Well...
When they announced the program, I thought it would be....rather interesting.
It turned out to be...rather boring.
It's a trucker thing, you wouldn't understand.  :D

What's next?
UPS: The untold story.  The hair-raising adventures of the Brown Brotherhood!
:P
Actually I work for Yellow Freight, so if they ever did a reality show about my job, it would be called "Yellow Freight: The Untold Story...The Hair-Raising Adventures of the Orange Brotherhood."

Don't ask me why Yellow Freight paints their trucks orange, it's one of those things that's bizarre enough to make your head explode.

http://www.bigrigphotos.com/images/300_610677-R1-03-21A.JPG

Written By: gumbypiz on 08/25/07 at 5:34 am

It's a trucker thing, you wouldn't understand.  :DActually I work for Yellow Freight, so if they ever did a reality show about my job, it would be called "Yellow Freight: The Untold Story...The Hair-Raising Adventures of the Orange Brotherhood."

Don't ask me why Yellow Freight paints their trucks orange, it's one of those things that's bizarre enough to make your head explode.

I've worked logistics for international containerized shipping and tracking/tracing for dray (trucking) and container shipping for some time now.

The story I've been told is that the original "Yellow Freight" was a taxicab company under a insurance crunch (we're talking WAY back in the 20's-30's), and after some investigation (and savings in insurance costs) the company found that orange was more visable than the yellow color they were using. Thereafter all cabs were painted ORANGE as they stood out better and were deemed a more visible color to the general public. and therefore a safer policy or less of a risk.

Back in the olden days "yellow" was the color of less than moral men, this was the color of playboys driving a Stutz Bearcat and cars of the like. The name Yellow attracted customers but was not always the popular choice with the insurance company. In either way the Yellow Freight Trademark was already in place, so it was just a change in color to something that was more visable and more acceptable for both the owner and the insurance company.

If you notice trucking companies like Schneider, their cabs and trailers are also pained that same cream orange color as well. Its just more visable to drivers on the road and the public. The insurance companies that be like it that way.

I know what its like on a "team" move from southern California to the east coast in 72 hrs. I've been there, riding the back end. Its not easy, but not "exciting" either. But the truckers deliver all the merchandise that the general public expects to have at the supermarket and retail chains on a regular basis. They (public) just don't know the effort that goes on behind the scenes to make it happen.

Written By: Tam on 08/25/07 at 1:17 pm

I missed it but apparently I will get to see the repeat this coming week!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/25/07 at 2:39 pm

It's a trucker thing, you wouldn't understand. 

If I was a trucker, I'd definitely be more interested.  The first rule of good writing, journalism, documentary-making is giving people who have nothing to do with the subject a reason to stay interested. 

:DActually I work for Yellow Freight, so if they ever did a reality show about my job, it would be called "Yellow Freight: The Untold Story...The Hair-Raising Adventures of the Orange Brotherhood."

What color is orange juice?

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 08/26/07 at 3:59 am

I've worked logistics for international containerized shipping and tracking/tracing for dray (trucking) and container shipping for some time now.

The story I've been told is that the original "Yellow Freight" was a taxicab company under a insurance crunch (we're talking WAY back in the 20's-30's), and after some investigation (and savings in insurance costs) the company found that orange was more visable than the yellow color they were using. Thereafter all cabs were painted ORANGE as they stood out better and were deemed a more visible color to the general public. and therefore a safer policy or less of a risk.

To be honest, that's one of those things that has bugged me since I was a little kid, and I can remember asking my dad why Yellow trucks were painted orange when I was about 5 or 6 years old. (Of course he didn't know, he probably thought it was as inane as I did.) Matter-of-fact, that was one of the very first questions I asked them when I got hired on, and they told me pretty much the same story as you just did. Still, to me it makes about as much sense as the Canadian Football League having (at one time) two teams called the Roughriders.  ::)

Back in the olden days "yellow" was the color of less than moral men, this was the color of playboys driving a Stutz Bearcat and cars of the like. The name Yellow attracted customers but was not always the popular choice with the insurance company. In either way the Yellow Freight Trademark was already in place, so it was just a change in color to something that was more visable and more acceptable for both the owner and the insurance company.

Really? For that reason, to pay tribute to the playboys of old, I think I'll paint my Crown Vic yellow, just to I can show the world that I'm a "player."

Then again, maybe I won't. People will just think I'm driving a taxicab.  :-\\

If you notice trucking companies like Schneider, their cabs and trailers are also pained that same cream orange color as well. Its just more visable to drivers on the road and the public. The insurance companies that be like it that way. 

You know those orange barrels they put on the highway in construction areas? Sometimes the truckers call them "Schneider eggs."  ;D

I know what its like on a "team" move from southern California to the east coast in 72 hrs. I've been there, riding the back end. Its not easy, but not "exciting" either. But the truckers deliver all the merchandise that the general public expects to have at the supermarket and retail chains on a regular basis. They (public) just don't know the effort that goes on behind the scenes to make it happen.

I ran on a sleeper team operation at Yellow for just over a year, and it wasn't my thing so I transferred over to the dock almost 2 years ago, and I've been there ever since.

If I was a trucker, I'd definitely be more interested.  The first rule of good writing, journalism, documentary-making is giving people who have nothing to do with the subject a reason to stay interested.

True, and I did think it was a little cheesy how they tried to make a "reality show" out of it. Still, after having driven big rigs for several years, I could appreciate the level of skill that would be necessary to operate in such severe conditions.

What color is orange juice?

Yellow.

That is, after you're done with it anyway.  :P

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/26/07 at 1:39 pm

True, and I did think it was a little cheesy how they tried to make a "reality show" out of it. Still, after having driven big rigs for several years, I could appreciate the level of skill that would be necessary to operate in such severe conditions.

It was interesting to see the level of engineering skill it took to navigate the rig on the ice and how difficult it is to keep mechanics functioning at Arctic winter temperatures.  They covered all that in the first two episodes.  After that, it became a soap opera...for men!
::)

Check for new replies or respond here...