inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is emo the new grunge and nerd core the new hip-hop?

Written By: gopher on 08/24/07 at 9:06 pm

it seems that way on myspace.com  oh my god what has happened to the world?!!!!!  so what do you think?  :\'( ???

Subject: Re: Is emo the new grunge and nerd core the new hip-hop?

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 08/24/07 at 9:12 pm

What's nerd core?

Written By: Red Ant on 08/24/07 at 9:16 pm

Is emo the new grunge and nerd core the new hip-hop? it seems that way on myspace.com  oh my god what has happened to the world?!!!!!   so what do you think?  :\'( ???

??? is exactly my thoughts. Myspace is not the entire world. I'm sure there are 5 or 6 billion people who haven't joined it yet.  ::)

Emo will never be grunge. "Nerd core"? Please elaborate.

Ant

Written By: Brian06 on 08/24/07 at 9:17 pm

Likely and I'm guessing here that nerd core refers to something like Gym Class Hereos or Fort Minor or other alternative hip-hop groups, sometimes even called "emo rap"!

Written By: gopher on 08/24/07 at 9:20 pm

go to myspace and type in nerd core and emo and you will get your answer also go to yahoo and type them in amd you will get your answer ;)

Written By: gopher on 08/24/07 at 9:45 pm

i will say more nerd core is a reason fore white nerds and middle school kids to make there own rap music and say the n word and emo is the sheesh that is all emotional and stuff the nerds rap about drug trips and food and stuff thats considerd nerdy it seems to be the next underground phenomenon someone made an article about this see if you can find it 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/24/07 at 11:05 pm

I was a fan of what I dubbed: Nerd Rock.  Generally, rock void of African-American influence:

Devo
OMD
Blancmange
Eyeless in Gaza
Men Without Hats

Stuff like that.  Varying styles and artistic abilities, but I knew it when I heard it.  It was never meant as a pejorative.  In fact, I loved it because it drove rock/R&B fans crazy.  They hated the stuff!
;D

Oh, the guys had to seem like nerds, like they might have gotten pushed about in school. 

Written By: gopher on 08/24/07 at 11:21 pm

they say these two trends or geners will be the next thing in 2010 right when we hit the next projected bubble boom  :)

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/24/07 at 11:23 pm

Emo is like a whiner, evolved (more like devolved, lol) version of pop/punk that was popular from about 1994 to 2002. You could probably argue bands like Jimmy Eat World are sort of the division for where it started getting more Emo, although they were actually good. The generic stuff from, say 2003 like Fall Out Boy and Good Charlotte are probably where it started completey getting whiny and dropping any remaning alternative or punk influence.

I don't think it's too grungy, except for both being very loosely tied to alternative music like Green Day.

Written By: whistledog on 08/24/07 at 11:25 pm

emo is crappy music.  It's like the new goth, and though goth wasn't any better, a few good goth songs slipped through.  With emo, no good songs slip through.  If they do, they head straight for the garbage can :D

Written By: gopher on 08/24/07 at 11:33 pm

im sayn they will be the next music trends not that there won't be more trends im saying that these are becoming popular among kids it like the new underground is the internet know what i mean ? ;) ??? :)

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/24/07 at 11:36 pm

Yeah, things are usually popular underground before they hit the mainstream and everyone gets into it. Grunge was like college rock in the '80s before it took off in 1991. Same with new wave before MTV came along. Most popular music actually is "older" than the time it's associated with.

Written By: Haynsoul on 08/25/07 at 5:20 am

Emo is NOT the new grunge. Grunge was a social movement for an entire generation of people who had real angst and problems to deal with. Emo is a fad and doesn't have a big enough fanbase. Also grunge hasn't been mocked to death either.

Written By: shaneiscrazy on 08/25/07 at 10:14 am

Emo is NOT the new grunge. Grunge was a social movement for an entire generation of people who had real angst and problems to deal with. Emo is a fad and doesn't have a big enough fanbase. Also grunge hasn't been mocked to death either.
what was their problems ?

Written By: Haynsoul on 08/25/07 at 1:51 pm

what was their problems ?

They grew up in a time when parenting wasn't important (leaving the kids home alone), divorce rates were up, AIDS came out of nowhere and as they grew older they were stereotyped by older people as apathetic and cynical slackers who joined gangs and smoked crack.

Those are some pretty bad problems IMO.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/25/07 at 2:28 pm

No, Emo is not the new grunge. Grunge has had an influence(for better or worse depending on who you are) on music for the better part of the last 20 years. Emo will be nothing more than a footnote in music history by 2013 at the very latest.

Check for new replies or respond here...