inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: NO Miss Teen USA for us!

Written By: star500 on 08/24/07 at 9:53 pm

Me and my mother tuned in our TV tonight to watch the Miss Teen USA pageant like we always do every year. Only this year, we didn't get to see it because of the bad weather affecting Detroit. They are NBC's affiliate station and they take over the broadcast. So we got to watch a weather map of Detroit for two hours instead of the Miss Teen USA pageant. We were very pissed off, actually we are still pissed off!!! >:( Why do affiliate stations take over the major networks and show stuff that don't even apply to us?! They could have waited until the national news at 11pm but NOooo! These storms weren't even on CNN or anything. They were on ABC though because their affiliate station is also from Detroit. Sorry I just wanted to vent because I am sick and tired of these stupid interruptions to our regular programing! This has got to stop!!!  >:(

We are Canadians, by the way.

Subject: Re: NO Miss Teen USA for us!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/24/07 at 10:20 pm

I'll tell you what.  I'll trade you your poblems for my problems!
:-\\

Written By: Satish on 08/25/07 at 12:18 pm

Well, you have to understand that when major events happen in the real world that affect people, TV stations are fully justified in interrupting their regular entertainment programming to give them news coverage. If a natural disaster like an earthquake or a hurricane happens which results in people getting killed, a TV station really ought to give that priority over its regularly scheduled dramas and comedies. I think a few people have died in the recent floods in the midwest, so those would probably count as being important enough.

Written By: Tia on 08/25/07 at 12:38 pm

there's something to be said for a miss teen usa pageant, i'd imagine.plus it's a drag to have a yearly ritual disrupted, whatever that ritual might be. i feel you pain, son.

Written By: Marian on 08/25/07 at 12:38 pm

Me and my mother tuned in our TV tonight to watch the Miss Teen USA pageant like we always do every year. Only this year, we didn't get to see it because of the bad weather affecting Detroit. They are NBC's affiliate station and they take over the broadcast. So we got to watch a weather map of Detroit for two hours instead of the Miss Teen USA pageant. We were very pissed off, actually we are still pissed off!!! >:( Why do affiliate stations take over the major networks and show stuff that don't even apply to us?! They could have waited until the national news at 11pm but NOooo! These storms weren't even on CNN or anything. They were on ABC though because their affiliate station is also from Detroit. Sorry I just wanted to vent because I am sick and tired of these stupid interruptions to our regular programing! This has got to stop!!!  >:(

maybe they want to make sure you don't go there to visit while it's bad. :-\\But seriously,what I don't understand is why our whole cable system interrupts programming to show Amber alerts.First,this program is designed so drivers can seeif missing kids are in another car,mainly.You're not supposed to watch tv while you're driving!second,more often than not,these alerts are hastily put together and innaccurate.so I'm not sure how good they do.Using radio broadcasts is better i think.But sorry you didn't see the girls turn,wiggle their butts and introduce themselves.That must have sucked!LOL ;)

Written By: Tia on 08/25/07 at 12:40 pm

er, daughter. sorry.

But sorry you didn't see the girls turn,wiggle their butts and introduce themselves.That must have sucked!LOL ;)
now that you put it that way, i'm sorry i missed it too. :\'(

Written By: Marian on 08/25/07 at 1:00 pm

er, daughter. sorry.
now that you put it that way, i'm sorry i missed it too. :\'(
Man if you didn't lust after them after seeing that,you must not have had a pulse!! ;D :D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/25/07 at 4:09 pm

Can't say I watch it away.

Written By: whistledog on 08/25/07 at 6:37 pm

I know what it's like to miss a favourite TV program for some pre-empted news coverage.  I forget what it was, but few years ago, I was looking forward to watching this show, and it got pre-empted with a special news report about some political figure who was calling it quits.  Is that really worthy of a special report? 

I can understand if someone had died, or there was some terrible tragedy, but some Washington big wig calls it quits?  I think that can wait until the news at 11

Written By: Marian on 08/26/07 at 3:45 pm

I know what it's like to miss a favourite TV program for some pre-empted news coverage.  I forget what it was, but few years ago, I was looking forward to watching this show, and it got pre-empted with a special news report about some political figure who was calling it quits.  Is that really worthy of a special report? 

I can understand if someone had died, or there was some terrible tragedy, but some Washington big wig calls it quits?  I think that can wait until the news at 11
Who was it?

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 08/27/07 at 12:57 pm

Yeah, you kind of touched a nerve with me as well. I've lived in the Midwest all my life, which as you all know is oftentimes referred to as "Tornado Alley," and growing up the weather bulletins weren't nearly as bad as they are now. Used to be that the local TV stations would almost never interrupt programming except in case of a tornado warning, otherwise they'd just blare a loud alert tone and run a crawl across the bottom of the screen giving the information about what type of storm was coming and what counties were affected. And you know what? That was enough. We got the information we needed and didn't have to miss any regular programming.

Nowadays, it seems like anytime a severe thunderstorm warning is issued, some pencil-neck weather doofus will interrupt programming for at least 15 minutes and they'll zoom in with their fancy-pants Action News 5 Super-Dooper Advanced Nexrad 5000 Doppler Radar and damn near give the street address of what ever houses might be affected by the storms that are passing through, and it's totally unnecessary.

The meteorologists claim that they interrupt programming because they're trying to give us advanced warning so they can "save lives." Bullsh!t! They're not saving anyone's lives. They're just trying to look for any excuse to get their smiling faces on the air and to show off their multi-million dollar high-tech weather-tracking equipment. It's all about ratings and competition between local affiliates, and it's completely stupid. They're always talking up their weather coverage and how they're so much better than their local rivals. "For the most accurate severe weather coverage in the Heartland, turn to StormCenter 3! Now with Ultra Advanced First Alert Nexrad Doppler 9000! StormCenter 3: The ones you can trust!!!" As if you made the mistake of watching Channel 4 WeatherCenter instead, you might wind up getting killed because Channel 4's incompetent, alcoholic weatherman is gonna f*ck up and miss some tiny speck on the radar that StormCenter 3's clean-cut all-American boy-next-door AMS-certified meteorologist will no doubt spot due to his everlasting vigilance. Either that, or it's because StormCenter 3 has invested in the very latest weather-radar technology while Channel 4 WeatherCenter was just too cheap to keep up and they were stuck with a radar system that's (gasp!) already two years old.

As a matter-of fact, can someone tell me while local TV stations feel the need to invest millions of dollars in their own individual Doppler radar systems? They spend all this money to keep up with their rivals, on radar systems that are so accurate that they can almost tell whether your car is gonna get hailed on or your next-door neighbor's car is gonna get hailed on, and for what? They can't issue watches or warnings, they're not authorized to. Isn't that what the National Weather Service is for? It's completely pointless. I almost think that these weathercasters are doing a lot of this because they think we find it entertaining.  "Oooh, look at all the fancy colors! They're almost right over town! Gosh, the radar is really purple over Goober County...I'll bet they're really getting pounded!" And I'll admit it is a little entertaining, to a point... maybe for 2-3 minutes top. But not for two hours straight.

Anyway, I say give 'em hell! Call up the station and complain. Write a letter to the editor of the local paper. We had a similar situation in Kansas City where the local weather bimbo interrupted, I'm not for sure but I think it was Lost, for well over an hour for thunderstorms that were well over 50 miles away from the KC metro area.  People were so pissed off about this that not only was there a big article about it in the paper but there also is a website demanding her removal from the local airwaves.

Matter-of-fact, here's the link to the website, I'm sure that the list of complaints against her will resonate with you.

http://firekatie.com/

Fight the power!

Written By: whistledog on 08/27/07 at 2:23 pm

Who was it?

I don't remember, but if I ever met him, i'd kick his ass >:(

;D

Written By: Marian on 08/28/07 at 1:34 pm

I don't remember, but if I ever met him, i'd kick his ass >:(

;D
LOL.maybe you can check YouTuve to see if someone posted it.

Written By: snozberries on 09/02/07 at 12:38 pm

Here's what you missed...
http://youtube.com/watch?v=qQdhMSEqhfg

Man that Miss Teen South Carolina is a swift one...  ;)

I used to get mad when my shows were pre-empted but with all the advances in technology you can find almost any episode online now.

Written By: Tia on 09/02/07 at 2:37 pm

ive never been so frightened in all my life.

Written By: snozberries on 09/02/07 at 2:50 pm

ive never been so frightened in all my life.

lol I knew you would dig it Tia!  ;D

Written By: Marian on 09/04/07 at 2:48 pm

Man that Miss Teen South Carolina is a swift one...  ;)

I used to get mad when my shows were pre-empted but with all the advances in technology you can find almost any episode online now.
That was friggin hilarious!!!

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/06/07 at 8:58 pm

Wow, we're talking white house press secretary levels of epic fail!

Written By: Marian on 09/07/07 at 2:26 pm

Wow, we're talking white house press secretary levels of epic fail!
was it worthy of W?

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/07/07 at 10:34 pm

was it worthy of W?

After seeing the video - he's the only one who'd hire her :)

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/08/07 at 10:29 am

Well, you have to understand that when major events happen in the real world that affect people.....so those would probably count as being important enough.

What is more important or major than a host of nubile young women competing for a pageant title?  The station manager should be given an atomic wedgie.  :P

Written By: Marian on 09/09/07 at 3:28 pm

What is more important or major than a host of nubile young women competing for a pageant title?  The station manager should be given an atomic wedgie.   :P
LOL

Check for new replies or respond here...