inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What kind of name do you think they will give this era of time? (200-2009)

Written By: gopher on 08/24/07 at 11:53 pm

they called the 90's geenx and stuff that i can't remember so any 1s guess is as good as mine i guess you get the idea 8) :o

Subject: Re: What kind of name do you think they will give this era of time? (200-2009)

Written By: gopher on 08/24/07 at 11:59 pm

i mean nick name not generation name ok ok 8) ;D

Subject: Re: What kind of name do you think they will give this era of time? (200-2009)

Written By: whistledog on 08/25/07 at 12:00 am

what is geenx ?

Written By: gopher on 08/25/07 at 12:04 am

i wus tryn to come up with a nick name for the 90's but all i could think of wus how the people were classified as being from generation x well the teens ;) so i could not think of a nick name but i remember people nick naming it different times the era i mean ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/25/07 at 2:15 am

The media did call the "youth" Generation X for the longest time. I think it pretty much refers to culture that was popular from about 1981/'82 to 1996 or maybe 1998. People born from about 1964-1980, and especially towards the beginning, are usually what stereotypes it.

Generation Y is usually what people call this era. That'll probably span about 1997-2012, so we're right in the middle of it now or a little past its peak. The stereotypical Zeros culture like MySpace, Ipods and emo music will come to define the image of Yers as much as things like MTV and video arcades defined X.

Written By: popking on 08/25/07 at 2:18 pm

The 2000s culture is the time span of the now-middle aged Gen X and the older generation Y born circa 1977-1985. Right now we are nearing the end point of it which I think will end completely by 2011. Its now safe to say that peak the 2000s was 2002-early 2005. 2010s culture will be the culture for the younger members of Gen. Y born around 1990 or so. Generation Z will be apart of it as well but the late Generation Y'ers will absolutely create the culture. Kind of like how the New Silent/Beat Generation created the culture for baby boomers. Really Generation Y is such a big age group it can be split up into two eras. The 2000s don't represent the younger Generation Y members, they haven't even finished high school yet and its not fair to lump them into that stereotypical category. The people from Generation X who created the 90s culture were not in their teens, they were in their 20s, but it was their decade. Kurt Cobain, Tupac, both perhaps iconic Generation X icons, they were in their 20s.

Really the 2000s is a lot like the 1980s, only instead of the baby boomers being materialistic its the older, more complacent members of Generation X. Funny thing is, our economy is  entering a recession now, which happened in...1987. ;D  Really the 1987 stock market crash and resulting recession I think is what ended the roaring 80s Miami Vice type culture. By 1989 people had all but abandoned 80s culture in favor of something new, what came to be known as the Generation X era.  The same thing is happening right now.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/25/07 at 2:38 pm

The 2000s culture is the time span of the now-middle aged Gen X and the older generation Y born circa 1977-1985. Right now we are nearing the end point of it which I think will end completely by 2011. 2010s culture will be the culture for the younger members of Gen. Y born around 1990 or so. Generation Z will be apart of it as well but the late Generation Y'ers will absolutely create the culture. Kind of like how the New Silent/Beat Generation created the culture for baby boomers. Really Generation Y is such a big age group it can be split up into two eras. The 2000s don't represent the younger Generation Y members, they haven't even finished high school yet and its not fair to lump them into that stereotypical category. The people from Generation X who created the 90s culture were not in their teens, they were in their 20s, but it was their decade. Kurt Cobain, Tupac, both perhaps iconic Generation X icons, they were in their 20s.

Really the 2000s is a lot like the 1980s, only instead of the baby boomers being materialistic its the older, more complacent members of Generation X. Funny thing is, our economy is  entering a recession now, which happened in...1987. ;D  Really the 1987 stock market crash and resulting recession I think is what ended the roaring 80s Miami Vice type culture. By 1989 people had all but abandoned 80s culture in favor of something new, what came to be known as the Generation X era.  The same thing is happening right now.

I actually kinda agree with this. Like I said in my other topic, I think '90s born kids are beginning to define pop culture(even though there full influence wont take effect for 2 or 3 more years). The early part of Gen Y(us '80s born kids) are kinda on the way out in terms of pop culture, and the '00s are definetly our era. I'd say the '00s generation probably extends up to about 1989 though, anybody that was in high school in 2006 is "very '00s".

Written By: popking on 08/25/07 at 2:40 pm

Yeah Generation Y isn't over though. Generation X was in high school in the 80s but they came of age in the 90s. Generation Y will probably do the same. Generation Z will be the youth of the 2010s but it'll be better for Generation Y because it'll be "their time." Of course Generation Z will have great memories too, but Generation Y will live a big chunk of their lives in the 2010s. It'll be a great decade probably.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/25/07 at 2:44 pm

^Yeah, I agree. I Had thought that the Gen Zers would have a huge effect on pop culture in the early '10s, but the more I think about it, Gen Yers will probably influence the first few years of the next decade. Most musicians in the early '10s will probably be 1986-1991 born 20 somethings.

Written By: popking on 08/25/07 at 2:49 pm

Yeah I'd say pretty much 2011-2016-ish will be influenced by younger Generation Y, which in my opinion isn't really Gen Y, its Gen Z. That'll be the peak part of the decade, alike the 1990s (1991-1996). As for 2017-2019 and onwards, thats all Generation Z.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/25/07 at 3:04 pm

Yeah I'd say pretty much 2011-2016-ish will be influenced by Generation Y. That'll be the peak part of the decade, alike the 1990s (1991-1996). As for 2017-2019 and onwards, thats all Generation Z.

Do you think there will also be alot of '80s born Yers(and probably up to about 1991 or so) that will sort of be split about '10s culture, even if there are alot of people there own age that are "shaping it"?

I think alot of late '80s babies will be split on whether they like the next decade's culture or not. Kinda like how even though alot of late '60s born musician's shaped the early '90s, there were still alot of people born around that time that didn't really get into grunge and gangsta rap. Most people my age will be approching 25 by then, and by that time alot of people are sort of set in there ways about what they like and don't like.

Written By: popking on 08/25/07 at 3:12 pm

I think late 80s births begins Generation Z and the 1978-1986 birth period is Gen Y. Also the influx of birth rates in the late 1980s and early 90s skyrocketed, a phenominon called the Echo Boom, so that in my mind ends the Generation Y period before the late 1980s. Generation Y also supplanted Generation X in the 90s. It was Gen X's time but it was Generation Y's youth and so these two generations created the Generation X period. 

I think the 2000s will be but a nostalgia memory for the late 80-ers. The 1980s was a nostalgia memory for Generation X but they didn't miss it much and they loved the 90s much more. I think that'll probably happen. For the older late 70s/early to mid 80s born Gen Y-ers, they might not get into the new 2010s trends as much but for the late 80s born people, whom I consider Generation Z, they'll love the 2010s. I don't consider it a split since its two different generations, but its definitely a generation gap. 

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/25/07 at 3:20 pm

^I think you have a point here, but I'm not sure I would call the late '80s Gen Z. I was born in 1987, and I don't really feel like I have alot in common with anybody born after about 1991 or maybe '92 at the latest. Me and most of the people around my age I know were more into the 1998-2005 era of music. Most of us are huge Nu Metal or Post Grunge fans for example.

*My 2000th post, pretty ironic that it would be about this ;)*

Written By: popking on 08/25/07 at 3:26 pm

The whole New Kids on the Block era back in the late 1980s was definitely Generation Y's influence since it was targeted towards their age group, because they were young and some savvy record executives knew young kids would go for that type of pop fluff. It was sort of an early "test" so to speak, to see if they could make absolutely obscene profit off of the late 90s teen pop phenominon when the generation came of age. The Backstreet Boys/Britney Spears era only happened because generation Y matured and it was a ripe time to make revenues. The short late 80s teen pop era was a only a preview. In other words it was a preview of what was to come some 10 years later. They got targeted for the market because they were kids, and that means profit.

In 2007 with Hannah Montana, High School Musical, the same applies, its definitely Generation  Z's influence but they won't influence pop culture 100% until at least 2017. That will probably coincide with another teen pop boom, since pop seems to flourish at the end of each decade (late 70s, disco, late 80s, teen pop, late 90s N'SYNC, Backstreet Boys). In that respect, yeah there actually is a Generation Y split, your right, I actually hadn't realized that. 1990-1991 is Generation Z's starting point, it actually is early 90s that starts Gen Z, but you can definitely count 1989 in there as well cause thats a transitional 90s year.

Your generation's time isn't over even though 2007 feels different. People your age probably aren't into it because some of the music out there isn't meant for them. Late Generation Y's time isn't over yet, its early Gen Y that is definitely ending.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/25/07 at 3:36 pm

The whole New Kids on the Block era back in the late 1980s was definitely Generation Y's influence since it was targeted towards their age group, because they were young and some savvy record executives knew they'd go for that type of pop fluff. But it was a only a preview of the 1997-2001 N'SYNC teen pop boom which began Generation Y's time. In other words it was a preview of what was to come some 8-10 years later. They got targeted for the market because they were kids, and that means profit.

In 2007 with Hannah Montana, High School Musical, the same applies, its definitely Generation  Z's influence but they won't influence pop culture 100% until at least 2017. In that respect, yeah there actually is a Generation Y split, your right, I actually hadn't realized that. 1990-1991 is Generation Z's starting point, it actually is early 90s that starts Gen Z, but you can definitely count 1989 in there as well cause thats a transitional 90s year.

Generation Z's time isn't over even though 2007 feels different. People your age probably aren't into it because its not meant for them. Late Generation Y's time isn't over yet though, in reality its just beginning. Early Gen Y is definitely ending.

I agree. The Disney channel stuff is definetly Gen Z targeted, not many people over the age of 15 are into that stuff anyway, but the earliest Gen Zers wont have any personal influence on pop culture until the oldest members reach there late teens/early '20s in the mid 2010's. I predict that 2010's culture will be focused mainly on those born 1993-2003 or so, and in an extended sense maybe 1990-2005.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/25/07 at 4:15 pm

I was kind of in jumior high, during the 80's and went to high school, in 90's. 

I think they called this generation, Generation Zero or Generation Z.

And that this decade is pretty much called, the Naughts or the 2Ks.

Written By: Brian06 on 08/25/07 at 4:56 pm

The whole New Kids on the Block era back in the late 1980s was definitely Generation Y's influence since it was targeted towards their age group, because they were young and some savvy record executives knew young kids would go for that type of pop fluff. It was sort of an early "test" so to speak, to see if they could make absolutely obscene profit off of the late 90s teen pop phenominon when the generation came of age. The Backstreet Boys/Britney Spears era only happened because generation Y matured and it was a ripe time to make revenues. The short late 80s teen pop era was a only a preview. In other words it was a preview of what was to come some 10 years later. They got targeted for the market because they were kids, and that means profit.

In 2007 with Hannah Montana, High School Musical, the same applies, its definitely Generation  Z's influence but they won't influence pop culture 100% until at least 2017. That will probably coincide with another teen pop boom, since pop seems to flourish at the end of each decade (late 70s, disco, late 80s, teen pop, late 90s N'SYNC, Backstreet Boys). In that respect, yeah there actually is a Generation Y split, your right, I actually hadn't realized that. 1990-1991 is Generation Z's starting point, it actually is early 90s that starts Gen Z, but you can definitely count 1989 in there as well cause thats a transitional 90s year.

Your generation's time isn't over even though 2007 feels different. People your age probably aren't into it because some of the music out there isn't meant for them. Late Generation Y's time isn't over yet, its early Gen Y that is definitely ending.

New Kids on the Block have nothing to do with Gen Y, they were the later gen xers teenybopper music, gen y were far to young or not even born yet to care. Gen Y's first music was the Spice Girls, Backstreet Boys, etc.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/25/07 at 5:06 pm

New Kids on the Block have nothing to do with Gen Y, they were the later gen xers teenybopper music, gen y were far to young or not even born yet to care. Gen Y's first music was the Spice Girls, Backstreet Boys, etc.

Thats true. Even the oldest Gen Yers would've only been like 6 or 7 in 1989, when NKOTB were at there peak.

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/25/07 at 5:26 pm

^I remember New Kids pretty well, but wasn't into them (save "I'll Be Loving You Forever"). I did like alot of 1989 and 1990 music at the time, though.

Popking makes some good points. I think some Y traits do start around 1978ers from the people I know and have seen (i.e. being a part of the crowd generally very comfortable with the internet and who like some '00s things), although I wouldn't call late '80s borns Z at all. Y is probably 1981 or '82 to 1994 or '95.

Written By: popking on 08/25/07 at 6:01 pm

^I remember New Kids pretty well, but wasn't into them (save "I'll Be Loving You Forever"). I did like alot of 1989 and 1990 music at the time, though.

Popking makes some good points. I think some Y traits do start around 1978ers from the people I know and have seen (i.e. being a part of the crowd generally very comfortable with the internet and who like some '00s things), although I wouldn't call late '80s borns Z at all. Y is probably 1981 or '82 to 1994 or '95.

I agree, finally someone cleared this all up, honestly it was getting a little confusing to explain, disregard my "new kids on the block" comparison. Yeah Generation Y is a huge generation and you can basically split it up into two eras, but basically the whole picture of it is 1978-1995 or so. To put it simply the 2000s was the older Generation Y, 2010s will be the latter Gen Y, and 2020s is Gen Z. I don't believe a decade one spends in their teens is really their own era, its usually someone elses.

The oldest of Generation Y were about 15 in 1993 when grunge was at its peak, but it wasn't really their time, it was Generation X who were in their 20s. They were lucky enough to experience the trends and have full memory of them.

Check for new replies or respond here...