inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: who hates what they see on nickalodean nowadays?

Written By: gopher on 08/25/07 at 1:06 am

No lists just say what you hate and what you used to like on the network and you don't have to just talk about the shows! this might seem repeated but at least there isn't a long list to read! 8) 8)

Subject: Re: who hates what they see on nickalodean nowadays?

Written By: fusefan on 08/25/07 at 1:52 am

Because they got rid of the entertaining gameshows for mindless cartoons and bad sitcoms.  ::)

Written By: whistledog on 08/25/07 at 2:19 am

I don't get nickelodeon, so I have no opinion LOL

Written By: Haynsoul on 08/25/07 at 5:17 am

It turned shallow like the rest of the things this decade.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/25/07 at 7:29 am

it's total crap now, compared to what it used to be.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/25/07 at 12:10 pm

Yeah, Nickelodeon sucks. And has since at least 2000, maybe before that.

Written By: snozberries on 08/25/07 at 3:18 pm

I'm sick of the endless marathons.  They used to do mini marathons for special occasions,  like new shows starting, now the marathons are a week long so you wind up seeing the same episodes all over again in just a couple of months.

Also, they used to show old shows, shows no other network was airing. Now they show series that play on other networks....like (sorry here comes the list)

Fresh Prince is on Nick & Noggin
Roseanne is on Nick & Oxygen
Home Improvement is coming to Nick & is on TBS, WGN and some other local channels

Its annoying, I prefer the rare shows that are hardly ever shown- you know.... the old ones from the 50's  (I won't list them  ;) )

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/25/07 at 3:25 pm

I'm sick of the endless marathons.  They used to do mini marathons for special occasions,  like new shows starting, now the marathons are a week long so you wind up seeing the same episodes all over again in just a couple of months.

Also, they used to show old shows, shows no other network was airing. Now they show series that play on other networks....like (sorry here comes the list)

Home Improvement is coming to Nick & is on TBS, WGN and some other local channels

Its annoying, I prefer the rare shows that are hardly ever shown- you know.... the old ones from the 50's  (I won't list them  ;) )

I used to like to watch Nick at Nite in the early/mid '90s as well. I was pretty young at that time, but I enjoyed watching the shows from the '50s and '60s since it was kinda like a window to a time I didn't get to experience personally. The main problem now is, they replay the same shows way too often.

Written By: Haynsoul on 08/25/07 at 3:58 pm

I used to love watching Munsters and Bewitched when it aired on Nick at Nite. I even liked the Brady Bunch with all its corniness.  ;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/25/07 at 4:17 pm

I get YTV in Canada, and we get a hand full shows from Nickoledon.

MTV is more in decline,  and getting worse each year.

Written By: karen on 08/25/07 at 8:30 pm

I've only been in the US a week and I'm already sick of Nickolodeon!  All it seems to show is Sponge Bob Squarepants and Jimmy Neutron. It's driving me crazy.  The kids, unfortunately, love it!

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 08/25/07 at 10:32 pm

i think maybe they sold those shows, or something, to TV Land. the only show that i like now that they play is Roseanne.

i also remember that they used to play the Brady Bunch during the regular "kid" aimed schedule during the day, which i thought was weird...they also used to show Charlie Brown.

what i REALLY miss is Vault Disney from Disney Channel....they used to play old movies, shows, and cartoons after about 10:00 p.m....i also miss when they used to show Growing Pains, and movies like Teen Witch, and The Labryinth....i also used to like to watch Winne The Pooh whenever i stayed home sick from school. it used to be apart of their morning schedule.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/25/07 at 10:43 pm

Nickelodeon was a network for kids starting in the early '80s. It featured atrocious fare, such as "You Can't Do That on Televion," sorry YCDToT fans and then pap like David the Gnome.  So I never thought much of it to begin with.

Nick At Night showed some old sit-coms I liked and kitchy stuff like "Dragnet" and "Superman," so that was cool.  I boycotted Nick at Night when they begin a nightly homage to Cosby.  It is regrettable to see TV Land has picked up the Cosby Show as well.
::)

Written By: woops on 08/26/07 at 12:42 am

i thought was weird...they also used to show Charlie Brown.

what i REALLY miss is Vault Disney from Disney Channel....they used to play old movies, shows, and cartoons after about 10:00 p.m....i also miss when they used to show Growing Pains, and movies like Teen Witch, and The Labryinth....i also used to like to watch Winne The Pooh whenever i stayed home sick from school. it used to be apart of their morning schedule.

I enjoyed classic Disney cartoons from the early/mid 20th century featuring Mickey, Donald, and Goofy, though are nolonger shown.

On Nickelodeon, I liked the first few seasons of "All That", "Ren & Stimpy", "Rocko's Modern Life", and Looney Tunes...when they were shown in many networks.  8) :D

Written By: snozberries on 08/26/07 at 12:17 pm

Nickelodeon was a network for kids starting in the early '80s. It featured atrocious fare, such as "You Can't Do That on Televion," sorry YCDToT fans and then pap like David the Gnome.  So I never thought much of it to begin with.

Nick At Night showed some old sit-coms I liked and kitchy stuff like "Dragnet" and "Superman," so that was cool.  I boycotted Nick at Night when they begin a nightly homage to Cosby.  It is regrettable to see TV Land has picked up the Cosby Show as well.

At least Tv land still has more variety than nick... they still show some good shows. I don't like that they are showing movies now on Tv land. I mean they are usually cult favorites but they are edited to hell and TV land needs to stick to TV shows. 

Now these networks are showing America's Funniest Videos....except the videos are rarely funny.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/26/07 at 1:29 pm

At least Tv land still has more variety than nick... they still show some good shows. I don't like that they are showing movies now on Tv land. I mean they are usually cult favorites but they are edited to hell and TV land needs to stick to TV shows. 

Now these networks are showing America's Funniest Videos....except the videos are rarely funny.

The problem with the TV Land movies is they the show the most edited, censored, and abridged versions out there.  The other problem is they're programming the ones that aren't worth watching anyway.  The "Dragnet" movie, for instance, was so disappointing because they put Joe Friday in a "Police Academy" setting, which didn't work for the character--and certainly not for a spoof of the character.

Written By: snozberries on 08/26/07 at 2:33 pm

The problem with the TV Land movies is they the show the most edited, censored, and abridged versions out there.  The other problem is they're programming the ones that aren't worth watching anyway.  The "Dragnet" movie, for instance, was so disappointing because they put Joe Friday in a "Police Academy" setting, which didn't work for the character--and certainly not for a spoof of the character.

Yeah they show Grease and Top Gun a lot too

Written By: Dominic L. on 08/26/07 at 2:45 pm

EVERYBODY.

Written By: sonikuu on 08/26/07 at 4:09 pm

Nickelodeon has gone so far downhill its hard to believe.  Its terrible nowadays.

The start of the decline was really 1999.  Even though I was a kid at the time, even I could see how bad Nickelodeon was starting to get, especially once shows like Rocko's Modern Life were either not shown or were shoved into terrible time slots to be replaced by Spongebob (which I NEVER liked).  Soon afterward, in 2000, I switched completely to Cartoon Network, especially their Toonami block, their weekday anime block that was in its golden age in the early 00s.  Perhaps not so coincidentally, a fairly large portion of the school also started watching Toonami during this time, especially Dragon Ball Z (which was probably the best thing in the world to a sixth grader).  The fact that Toonami had a very edgy image (many of the anime shown on the block were intended for teenagers, but were edited on the air for the younger audience)also helped.  I notice it was mainly guys who were Cartoon Network/Toonami fans, the girls seemed to be a bit more..."loyal" I guess, to Nickelodeon.  Unfortunately, some of the boys liked Spongebob, but luckily I didn't hang out with them.  Spongebob was popular, but I hung out in the "anti-Spongebob" clique, so I really wasn't exposed to it too much.

Too bad Cartoon Network, and it's Toonami block, have gone downhill as well.  Toonami has pretty much gotten rid of their edginess.  With Cartoon Network in terminal decline, Nickelodeon in the dark ages, and Disney being the teenybopper channel, I must wonder whats left for kids these days.  Thank god I was born when I was!

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 08/26/07 at 4:21 pm

i used to love toonami, too.

i also used to watch powerpuff girls, johnny bravo, dexter, scooby doo, etc. on cartoon network.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/26/07 at 5:27 pm

Nickelodeon has gone so far downhill its hard to believe.  Its terrible nowadays.

The start of the decline was really 1999.  Even though I was a kid at the time, even I could see how bad Nickelodeon was starting to get, especially once shows like Rocko's Modern Life were either not shown or were shoved into terrible time slots to be replaced by Spongebob (which I NEVER liked).  Soon afterward, in 2000, I switched completely to Cartoon Network, especially their Toonami block, their weekday anime block that was in its golden age in the early 00s.  Perhaps not so coincidentally, a fairly large portion of the school also started watching Toonami during this time, especially Dragon Ball Z (which was probably the best thing in the world to a sixth grader).  The fact that Toonami had a very edgy image (many of the anime shown on the block were intended for teenagers, but were edited on the air for the younger audience)also helped.  I notice it was mainly guys who were Cartoon Network/Toonami fans, the girls seemed to be a bit more..."loyal" I guess, to Nickelodeon.  Unfortunately, some of the boys liked Spongebob, but luckily I didn't hang out with them.  Spongebob was popular, but I hung out in the "anti-Spongebob" clique, so I really wasn't exposed to it too much.

Too bad Cartoon Network, and it's Toonami block, have gone downhill as well.  Toonami has pretty much gotten rid of their edginess.  With Cartoon Network in terminal decline, Nickelodeon in the dark ages, and Disney being the teenybopper channel, I must wonder whats left for kids these days.  Thank god I was born when I was!

Your experiences sound alot like mine around that time. I was 11/12 in 1999, and I agree that it was around then that the channel started to go downhill. Late 1997-late 1998 was pretty much the last time period that I watched Nickelodeon alot, after I entered middle school in fall 1998 most of the other kids started to shift away from it, and over to the "edgier" Toonami block like you said. I still watched Nick throughout '99 though, and it wasn't until the later part of 2000 that I basically stopped watching it all together. I watched Cartoon Network nearly everyday from about 1999-2002 or so. It seems like late 2002/early 2003 was when Toonami and CN started to really suck.

There's some debate about whether '80s or '90s Nick is better, but I don't think anyone would deny that both are better than today's Nick :P

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/27/07 at 12:41 am

Yeah they show Grease and Top Gun a lot too

Grease is to life in the '50s what Top Gun is to life in the Navy and vice versa!
;D

Written By: sonikuu on 08/27/07 at 3:21 am

Your experiences sound alot like mine around that time. I was 11/12 in 1999, and I agree that it was around then that the channel started to go downhill. Late 1997-late 1998 was pretty much the last time period that I watched Nickelodeon alot, after I entered middle school in fall 1998 most of the other kids started to shift away from it, and over to the "edgier" Toonami block like you said. I still watched Nick throughout '99 though, and it wasn't until the later part of 2000 that I basically stopped watching it all together. I watched Cartoon Network nearly everyday from about 1999-2002 or so. It seems like late 2002/early 2003 was when Toonami and CN started to really suck.

There's some debate about whether '80s or '90s Nick is better, but I don't think anyone would deny that both are better than today's Nick :P

CN in opinion had a rather slow decline.  I definitely think that things started to decline around 2003 (2002 was still relatively good) once shows like Code Name Kids Next Door came out, but CN was still able to push out some good shows like Samurai Jack (although that started in 2001, it was still going in 2003) and Megas XLR (2004) and even Star Wars: Clone Wars (due to the direct connection to Episode III, with one of Episode III's characters being introduced in Clone Wars).  Also, the good cartoons from when it was at its peak, like Johnny Bravo and Dexter's Laboratory, were still on the air and getting new episodes.  At the same time, you had crap like Code Name Kids Next Door (2003) and and Code Lyoko (also 2003) moving in.  Toonami was still pushing out some great shows in 2003 because it had Yu Yu Hakusho (a fighting anime done RIGHT, not like DBZ, which is stupid in retrospect) and Rurouni Kenshin (samurai = instant win).  

IMO, things really started to get bad in 2004.  Toonami moved to the weekends about this time and was replaced by Miguzi, which aims toward a much more kiddy audience.  Also, crap like Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends and Hi Hi Puffy Ami Yumi debuted during this time and garnered some huge popularity while CN's older shows like Johnny Bravo were ending their runs.  It was pretty much Toonami (still somewhat decent, especially with Megas XLR) that was carrying CN at that point and even Toonami was decling in quality once stuff like Jackie Chan Adventures (orginally airing on Kids WB) started airing on Toonami.

2005 was the year that CN truly became crap, to the point where even the decent stuff couldn't save it.  The rather slow decline that started in 2003 and carried over into 2004 really took its toll on CN this year.  These days, I can't even watch most of CN now, what with crap like Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends and Class of 3000 being on the air.  I still watch Toonami although only two shows on there are worth watching anymore and ones going to end in 12 weeks or so.  Toonami had a bit of a renaissance earlier in 2007 when Mar and Prince of Tennis made Toonami have four shows worth watching, but Toonami had to screw it up and cancel both those series after about 15 episodes or so.  Adult Swim used to be CN's savior, but Adult Swim went down the crapper in 2006 so now its similar to Toonami in that there are only a few shows worth watching and they make up a minority of the block.  Although even then, some of them have been rerun to death like Futurama (they do a marathon of it every three months now) and Family Guy (the old ones are good and got rerun to hell, the new ones just plain suck).

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/28/07 at 9:56 am

It is all down to an age factor.

Written By: woops on 08/28/07 at 1:53 pm

It is all down to an age factor.

Kinda agree

Teens in the early '90's that were kids in the 1980's might've thought "Ren & Stimpy" were gross and sitcoms like "Clarissa Explains It All" & "Salute Your Shorts" were corny. (BTW, I enjoy "Ren & Stimpy", though the early seasons).

I was about 12/13  when Cartoon Network began showing original cartoons like "Dexter's Lab" & "Powerpuff Girls", which I was indifferent towards the cartoons and started getting into MTV & VH1, which ironically MTV went downhill in 1997.

Written By: Loven1 on 08/28/07 at 5:48 pm

The start of the decline was really 1999.

I'd place it long before that.  IMO the 1993/1994/1995 era was Nickelodeon's peak...

Written By: coqueta83 on 08/28/07 at 7:55 pm

I used to watch Nick at Nite almost every night until they started airing those Fresh Prince of Bel Air marathons over and over and over and over and over again.  >:( :(

This is just my opinion, but I think just about ALL cable channels just aren't what they used to be.  :(

Written By: haleym8826 on 08/28/07 at 10:23 pm

well i honestly thinks that nickelodeon is the awesomeist. Especially The Avatar, Jimmy Neutron, And Fairly Odd Parents. Nick at night is pretty cool too but i kinda got sick of Fresh Prince so im more of a Roseanne type of guy now.

Written By: kellygoo72 on 08/29/07 at 2:29 am

ENOUGH FRESH PRINCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! >:(

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/29/07 at 4:21 am

Fresh Prince is on Trouble all the time.

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 08/29/07 at 7:01 am

I used to watch Nick at Nite almost every night until they started airing those Fresh Prince of Bel Air marathons over and over and over and over and over again.  >:( :(

This is just my opinion, but I think just about ALL cable channels just aren't what they used to be.  :(

DITTO!

Written By: audkal on 08/29/07 at 5:38 pm

I've only had satellite for about 2 weeks now (my whole life we just had 5 network channels).  Honestly, I appreciate seeing these old shows (Fresh Prince, Full House, etc.).  Since a lot of those I haven't seen in 10 years or more (with the exception of DVDs).  And yes, I especially like watching the Bob Saget version of America's Funniest Home Videos.  I actually make a point to watch it everyday. 8)

Written By: snozberries on 08/30/07 at 12:00 am

Grease is to life in the '50s what Top Gun is to life in the Navy and vice versa!
;D

That's funny! ;D

I've only had satellite for about 2 weeks now (my whole life we just had 5 network channels).  Honestly, I appreciate seeing these old shows (Fresh Prince, Full House, etc.).  Since a lot of those I haven't seen in 10 years or more (with the exception of DVDs).  And yes, I especially like watching the Bob Saget version of America's Funniest Home Videos.  I actually make a point to watch it everyday. 8)

Give it about two months....about the time the marathons start over again... then you'll be tired of them too.....

Quick off topic fresh prince question to anyone actually watching the FP marathons... Sherman Hemsley plays the obnoxious judge rival of uncle phil but he also shows up in like two eps as George Jefferson... do they mention the "resembelence" or do they just think the audience is stupid?  There's a Fresh Prince Marathon every other week so someone might actually know the answer... btw I just checked... this week is FP week...again.

Written By: audkal on 08/30/07 at 10:39 pm

Give it about two months....about the time the marathons start over again... then you'll be tired of them too.....

Well it's not like I watch the whole marathons straight through, lol. ;D  I'll watch like one episode a day, if that.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/30/07 at 10:51 pm

I remember my friend Mike, who was a child in the 1950s, said something poignant about 15 years ago when they started talking about a 500 channel bandwidth:  "Look at all the crap that's on cable now.  There was a lot of crap on TV when it was on 13 channels.  F**K, there was a lot of crap on TV when we had only 3 channels!"

Even C-SPAN is going to hell in a handcart.  First they let every redneck and lunatic asylum escapee call up "Washington Journal" and bark a lot of incoherent babble, then they set up cameras at the frikkin' Heritage Foundation and every other far-right propaganda mill and just let it roll.  Sheeesh!

Check for new replies or respond here...