inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: why do all the people running for president seem the same?

Written By: gopher on 08/26/07 at 6:05 pm

They all seem like they are lying about what they will do in office this war will never end because i think it is a conspiracy created by the government to control the world I'm  not trying to "hate" anyone just voicing my opinion  ;) they have no grasp on the common man they just seem to care about the media yeah they use the common man to to help aid them in winning by putting them in the background of ads or letting us ask the questions but they only seem to do it so the media will pay more attention to them. :o I haven't heard anyone say anything about them thats good thats not from the media peoples opinions seem to only be what the media tells them. What's your opinion?

Subject: Re: why do all the people running for president seem the same?

Written By: danootaandme on 08/26/07 at 6:09 pm

Because they really on marketing professionals to tell them what to wear, say, and how to act.  The sad part is that the marketing works. 

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/26/07 at 6:17 pm

Because we keep electing them.

Go ahead.  Vote for Kang.  Throw away your vote.  Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/26/07 at 9:36 pm

I think it always has been the case.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/27/07 at 12:48 am

'Coz any uppity sonofabitch who says he's gonna change the status quo the media tars and feathers him and runs him out of town on a rail. 
Never mind there's millions of citizens who say, "Hey, I liked candidate X!"
The kingmakers in the petroleum-media complex say, "You mean that whacko who doesn't want things to stay just like they are? That's not what made this country great, people daring to be different and speaking their minds! It's conformity that makes America go; it's shutting up and doing what you're told!  Get it? Got it?  Good."
::)

Written By: sonikuu on 08/27/07 at 2:45 am

Because being generic sells.  They also have pressure to adhere to the party line or else their chances of getting voted for go down.  The exception seem to be Giuliani because hes "Mr. 9/11" (who wouldn't be nearly as popular had 9/11 not occurred) and people vote for him based on that and ignore any of his actual stances.  

Also, the only ones who actually try to make a difference and change things get marginalized by the media.  Look at Ron Paul.  The only Republican who wants to end the war in Iraq and he gets shafted by the media all the time.  Same thing with Kucinich (Democrat), who wants Bush impeached.  Any time a candidate actually tries to shake up the system, they get marginalized by the media.  As a result, we're left with "safe" generic candidates to choose from.

The media would rather tell us who "has a shot" and who "has no chance" than let the people decide.  Thats why the "frontrunners" (read: people with the most money who the media like) in the "debates" (more like Q&A, really) usually get more time than the rest of the candidates put together.  The media would rather choose the "frontrunners" for us than have the people decide.  Look at John McCain.  His campaign is pretty much sunk and even Ron Paul has raised more money than him, yet hes still promoted as a "frontrunner" by the media.

Written By: Commander Salamander on 08/27/07 at 5:05 pm

Dave Mustaine for President.

Check for new replies or respond here...