inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 00s WORST DECADE IN A LONG TIME?

Written By: GameDude2008 on 08/27/07 at 4:37 pm

I've been hearing a lot of people say that the 2000s is probably one of the worst decades in a long time. So, what is it that just pisses people off? Bush/The Wars In Iraq, American Culture (Or The Lack Of), etc? I personally think that we, the teens of the 00s have it the worst out of everyone.  :-[

Subject: Re: 00s WORST DECADE IN A LONG TIME?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/27/07 at 4:49 pm

No, there are worser decades out there.

Written By: GameDude2008 on 08/27/07 at 4:55 pm

No, there are worser decades out there.

Like what? And anythiing pre 50s don't count. The 60s, the 70s, the 80s, and the 90s were golden ages, but the 00s is just aak!!!

Written By: popking on 08/27/07 at 5:09 pm

The 2000s are fine. The music scene is messy because theres a whole format shift going on from hardcopy cds to mp3s. George Bush has been a disapointment, but the political malaise he has created is nothing that isn't recoverable.

And the 1960s were no golden age whatsoever. :o

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/27/07 at 5:31 pm

Yeah, this decade is not that bad. There's some bad music out there, but there's been bad music since the '50s and before. The current political state is disappointing(to say the least,lol), but like popking said, it's not so bad that it isn't recoverable. The only thing from the 2000's that I really hate is the television, it's pretty horrible.

Don't get me wrong, I love the '90s, and I do think that the '90s are way better than the '00s, but I think at least part of that is the fact that I was a child in the '90s, and a teen/adult in the '00s.

Written By: batfan2005 on 08/27/07 at 5:38 pm

Yeah, despite all we've been through, this decade isn't too bad. The pop-culture may seem bland and boring but there's been a lot of good stuff coming out.

Written By: whistledog on 08/27/07 at 5:39 pm

The 90s for me is definately the worst, but I base this on the music alone.  I liked alot of the Prime-Time TV shows and a few early 90s cartoon series, but I hated that whole grunge music and gangsta rap stuff.  To me, it was just noize :-\\

Written By: fusefan on 08/27/07 at 6:15 pm

It may seem awful now. But, in a couple decades this decade will be "romanticized" as much as the 80s are now. And people will forget all the crap that has happened and remember the good times. Yeah i'm not too fond of being a teen in this decade too. But i always try to look at the positives and ignore the crap.

Written By: Brian06 on 08/27/07 at 6:18 pm

The '00s are not that bad, especially the first half. I loved early '00s music and 03-05 was decent. Right now kinda sucks, but at least some of the decade was good I guess. lol.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/27/07 at 6:20 pm

Like what? And anythiing pre 50s don't count. The 60s, the 70s, the 80s, and the 90s were golden ages, but the 00s is just aak!!!

There were bad things about the 60s, the 70s, the 80s, and the 90s.  The '00s is composed of all the bad things from the previous decades!  Think about it!
;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/27/07 at 6:41 pm

There were bad things about the 60s, the 70s, the 80s, and the 90s.  The '00s is composed of all the bad things from the previous decades!  Think about it!
;D

I think it'a valid point.

Written By: JohnDoe on 08/27/07 at 10:41 pm

The 90s for me is definately the worst, but I base this on the music alone.  I liked alot of the Prime-Time TV shows and a few early 90s cartoon series, but I hated that whole grunge music and gangsta rap stuff.  To me, it was just noize :-\\

Grunge and Gangsta Rap were only around for 2 or 3 years max.  "Grunge" lasted from Late 1991 to 1993/1994 and "Gangsta Rap" only lasted through 1993 and 1994.

The 90's music scene was completely diverse and was not all about just Rock and Rap.  You had everything from Pop, to Adult Contemporary, to R&B, to Dance (And All genres of Rock and Rap of course)

But, you are from Canada, so your popular music scene was much different from both America's and the UK's (All 3 are completely different)  Maybe Gangsta Rap was bigger in Canada than in the states...?

By the way, "Grunge" (aka, Alternative Rock) was actually great quality rock music.  You talk about it as if it's some kind of a joke or something, when infact it's a heavily respected music genre.  It came right along and wiped out the embarrassment that was "Hair Metal" and the boys of Alternative Rock delivered us quality rock sound that we could relate to.

Grunge was all about being a throw back to 70's rock music, which is why it was so great. 

I guess it's different strokes for different folks though.  Odds are, if you don't enjoy rock music at all, you won't like Grunge/Alternative Rock.  Personally I think it's the best musical movement we've come across.

Written By: whistledog on 08/27/07 at 10:53 pm

By the way, "Grunge" (aka, Alternative Rock) was actually great quality rock music.  You talk about it as if it's some kind of a joke or something, when infact it's a heavily respected music genre.  It came right along and wiped out the embarrassment that was "Hair Metal" and the boys of Alternative Rock delivered us quality rock sound that we could relate to.

Grunge just never appealed to me.  I like music that's catchy, and some guy screaming into a microphone just doesn't do it for me :-\\

Gangsta Rap was bigger in the States than it was in Canada, but it was still popular, though it just seemed like it dragged on longer than it actually lasted.  Music about guys shooting each other and killing cops isn't music, it's verbal threats LOL

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 08/28/07 at 6:24 am

It may seem awful now. But, in a couple decades this decade will be "romanticized" as much as the 80s are now. And people will forget all the crap that has happened and remember the good times. Yeah i'm not too fond of being a teen in this decade too. But i always try to look at the positives and ignore the crap.

i completely agree. i know people in the 80's weren't thinking about how great their current decade was. they probably thought it was crap, and wished it was the 60's again like people today wish it was the 80's.

Written By: Tia on 08/28/07 at 7:14 am

i remember my folks going on about how crap the 70s were when i was a kid.

that said, the 00s do, in fact, totally blow. movies and television are good nowadays, everything else pretty much sucks -- particularly the state of the union and music. blegh.

Written By: fusefan on 08/28/07 at 7:39 am

i remember my folks going on about how crap the 70s were when i was a kid.

that said, the 00s do, in fact, totally blow. movies and television are good nowadays, everything else pretty much sucks -- particularly the state of the union and music. blegh.

I'm kinda opposite on that. I think music is a lot better now than it was in say 2000 but still not as good as it was in the 70s. But I think movies (except for a select few) and television (again excluding a few)  are complete crap these days

Written By: Tia on 08/28/07 at 7:53 am

you have to shop around but there are some great t.v. shows -- like serenity, dead like me, freaks and geeks, stuff like that. the daily show!

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/28/07 at 7:56 am

^Oddly I never cared much for '70s music. I'm sure I'll get disagreement here, but other than a few individual songs, I think it generally lacked the innovation of '60s music or the fun of the '80s. Most of it was either drawn-out progressive, Disco, generic classic rock or singer-songwriter stuff. Again, it did have its good points, but more with singles here and there. Then again maybe it's personal perception. When I was growing up I either heard "oldies" (1964-1972ish) or "semi current music" (1982+, with a few presages starting around 1979), so I guess it was sandwiched inbetween the two eras I was most familar with. Even in the time since, I can't really get into any of the prominent artists from that period in a hardcore way, beyond a couple radio songs.

Getting back to topic, though....I think it's going to take literally WWIII for people to look back on this as innocent. It might get that treatment as far as personal memories go, or just that it's much "closer to the past" than 2020 will be, but not for the actual state of the world or pop culture.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/28/07 at 11:24 am

^Oddly I never cared much for '70s music. I'm sure I'll get disagreement here, but other than a few individual songs, I think it generally lacked the innovation of '60s music or the fun of the '80s. Most of it was either drawn-out progressive, Disco, generic classic rock or singer-songwriter stuff. Again, it did have its good points, but more with singles here and there. Then again maybe it's personal perception. When I was growing up I either heard "oldies" (1964-1972ish) or "semi current music" (1982+, with a few presages starting around 1979), so I guess it was sandwiched inbetween the two eras I was most familar with. Even in the time since, I can't really get into any of the prominent artists from that period in a hardcore way, beyond a couple radio songs.

You know, I've never really liked '70s music that much either. I don't know why, but I've just never been able to get into it. Some disco is OK, but most of it is horrible, I also don't care for the singer-songwriter stuff either. The only music that I really liked from the '70s(arena rock, and basic classic rock) has been replayed so much by our local rock station, that I've started to even get tired of that.

Written By: tv on 08/28/07 at 6:15 pm

Ya know I don;t think the 00's was that bad until the last couple years I mean 2006 was just bland and 2007 is just boring. With that said the 00's isn;t as good as the 90's or the 80's. I hope next decade will be better though.

As for commenting on the 70's some of the late 70's disco is ok and the Commodores(Lonel Richie's old band) were good then but for the most part I can't get into most of the music from that decade(Particulalry from the 1st half of the decade.) I can get into a song like "How Long Has This Been Going On" by ACE I think that song was by but that was from 1978 I think? "Right Down The Line" and "Baker Street" by Gerry Rafferty are faves of mine too from the 70's but those 2 songs are late 70's(1977 maybe.)

Written By: tv on 08/28/07 at 6:22 pm

The 90s for me is definately the worst, but I base this on the music alone.  I liked alot of the Prime-Time TV shows and a few early 90s cartoon series, but I hated that whole grunge music and gangsta rap stuff.  To me, it was just noize :-\\
Your complaining about grrunge and gangsta rap but to me 80's Hair Metal and 00's Glam Rap are much worse than grunge or 90's Gangsta Rap.

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/28/07 at 6:42 pm

Yeah, the '70s music I like is more from artists that would come to be big in the '80s whom were just starting out in 1977-1979. Like TV mentioned, some of the Commodores early songs were good, like "Oh No", "Just What I Needed" by The Cars, "Double Vision" by Foreigner, early Toto, Tom Petty, etc. For the time they came out, I think those would've been "seventies" songs, but as time passed and they got bigger in the new decade, you could say it was just '80s music in an embryonic form.

I agree with Machine Head too...classic rock radio tends to beat the life out of '70s songs, probably more than any other period. That probably ruined some of the enjoyment for me.

Written By: haleym8826 on 08/28/07 at 10:47 pm

I've been hearing a lot of people say that the 2000s is probably one of the worst decades in a long time. So, what is it that just pisses people off? Bush/The Wars In Iraq, American Culture (Or The Lack Of), etc? I personally think that we, the teens of the 00s have it the worst out of everyone.  :-[

OK well let me see here. I myself am a teen and honestly I don't think teens have it that bad and if they do they are doing it to themselves. The 2000's to me are very bad because of...well almost everything. I myself hate Bush and think that Kerry should have won but that is just my opinion. But the war is not the big reason why the 2000's are crap. The 2000's are crap because we are all ignoring the constant warnings of global warming. Some of us may not believe in it and some of us may. I myself do. And lately a great majority of teens are the one who are contributing to it. How you ask. It isn't rocket science people. Everyday more and more teens are introduced to drugs and everyday more and more teens become addicted. Now I know that not all drugs contribute to the destroying of our environment but more people smoke than anything else and that is a major reason why our air is so polluted.
Gamedude you say teens have it bad but I say we don't. If teens choose to ruin our lives by getting ourselves knocked up and with a kid or bye killing ourselves slowly but surely with drugs then that is what they choose. Everyone uses peer pressure as an excuse but that is all it really is. An excuse. Your firends don't force the cocaine up your nose and they aren't forcing you to drip the acid. Just like they aren't forcing the beer bottle or cigarette to your lips. It is all a choice and it is all a matter of which one you choose. Now I am a teen and i do feel that I need my freedom but I honestly think that people my age are allowed too much of it. Half of the parents in the US could care less where their children are or when they will be home. They don't care what they do with their lives and that is a problem. But once again teens aren't forced to run the streets and cause trouble. No body forces them to throw the first punch and no body forces their finger down on the trigger. They do it all on their own. So now I am just ranting about how horrible our world has been getting in the bast few years and i am going to shut myself up for now.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/29/07 at 8:16 am

Yeah, the '70s music I like is more from artists that would come to be big in the '80s whom were just starting out in 1977-1979. Like TV mentioned, some of the Commodores early songs were good, like "Oh No", "Just What I Needed" by The Cars, "Double Vision" by Foreigner, early Toto, Tom Petty, etc. For the time they came out, I think those would've been "seventies" songs, but as time passed and they got bigger in the new decade, you could say it was just '80s music in an embryonic form.

I agree with Machine Head too...classic rock radio tends to beat the life out of '70s songs, probably more than any other period. That probably ruined some of the enjoyment for me.

Yeah, I like '70s Foreigner, and even some late '70s Journey. Alot of that era of rock doesn't really appeal to me anymore, because like I said, its been played to death. I swear that our local station has a rotation of like 100 songs that they play every day.

Once, I heard Stairway To Heaven 3 times in one day >:(

Written By: Marian on 08/29/07 at 12:31 pm

The 80s were more fun than the 70s because disco was dying and clothing got more colorful,though proprotions needed work.I like the opulent stuff.

Written By: batfan2005 on 08/29/07 at 8:51 pm

Ya know I don;t think the 00's was that bad until the last couple years I mean 2006 was just bland and 2007 is just boring. With that said the 00's isn;t as good as the 90's or the 80's. I hope next decade will be better though.

Yeah, I feel the same way as I mentioned in the other thread about how the first half of the 00's were good times but the last few years have been hard times, mostly with my personal life and socially/economically is impacting my personal life. Pop-culture wise, 2007 is an improvement over 2006. 

Check for new replies or respond here...