inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Owen Wilson suicide attempt

Written By: Carolina Girl on 08/27/07 at 7:59 pm

Didn't see if this was already posted here or not:

http://imdb.com/news/wenn/2007-08-27/  (If the Wilson story doesn't appear you might have to refresh the page)

Sounds like he tried to OD

Subject: Re: Owen Wilson suicide attempt

Written By: whistledog on 08/27/07 at 9:03 pm

I heard about this.  I wonder why he would try to end his life?  He's got all the success anyone could want

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/27/07 at 9:36 pm

I heard about this.  I wonder why he would try to end his life?  He's got all the success anyone could want

It's the classic American success story.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/27/07 at 10:20 pm

wow, that's crazy sad. You think that fame and fortune can buy happiness...but I guess not.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/27/07 at 10:43 pm

Sounds like an urban myth, but since it's on IMDb, it seems to be true.

I hope he recovers quickly and gets the help he needs.  Depression can lead to suicide in spite of any amount of fame or fortune.  That's what people don't understand.  It is a discrete organic illness.  It disproportionately affects creative people.

Remember his role in "The Royal Tenenbaums" (Eli Cash)?

He played that character so well for a reason.

Written By: kellygoo72 on 08/29/07 at 2:32 am

Thats typical with funny men, Belushi, Candy, farley..etc...... Most really funny people are twisted. thats why they love to make people laugh

I hope he can get some help,its sad

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/29/07 at 4:30 am

The BBC News Online Report on the Owen Wilson suicide attempt can be found here.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/29/07 at 8:08 pm

Most untimely comic deaths result from bad health and a downard spiral of druig addiction.
Owen Wilson does not seem like that.  I had him pegged as a depressiive years ago!

Written By: Dukefan on 08/29/07 at 8:58 pm

How is Courtney Love involved in this?

I was watching one of the cable news channels and they made a brief blurp about Wilson. The crawl beneath the story was talking about Wilson, Courtney Love, and Brit actor Steve Coogan. All I got was that Love dated Coogan before and tried to warn Wilson about him.  Something to do with drugs?

Written By: Gis on 08/30/07 at 12:34 pm

How is Courtney Love involved in this?

I was watching one of the cable news channels and they made a brief blurp about Wilson. The crawl beneath the story was talking about Wilson, Courtney Love, and Brit actor Steve Coogan. All I got was that Love dated Coogan before and tried to warn Wilson about him.  Something to do with drugs?

She has blamed Coogan for introducing Owen to heroin and basically leading him on a downward spiral.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/30/07 at 9:34 pm

I hope that things go ok, with Owen.

Written By: La Roche on 08/30/07 at 10:25 pm

She has blamed Coogan for introducing Owen to heroin and basically leading him on a downward spiral.

Wait.. wait.. we're talking about the same Steve Coogan here right?

There is NO WAY!! That guy is a smack head.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/30/07 at 11:05 pm

You'd be surprised.  Heroin addicts come in all stripes.  I've known a few you'd never guess.  One of 'em seemed like a sweet little elementary school librarian.  You know why?  Because she was!
Usually the addiction is the result of a comorbidity that makes it difficult for the addict to maintain a "normal" life, eg. psychiatric disability.  However, there are a few who keep it hidden for months, perhaps years.  The commonality comes when they have to kick the habit.

Courtney Love played Althea Flynt a little too well, just as Owen Wilson played Eli Cash, the drug-addled suicidal pulp western writer a little too well...but how many of those are there for comparison?
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/dontknow.gif

I am glad Owen Wilson didn't die like John Belushi and Chris Farley, but he's got a long struggle ahead of him and if he's an addict, he will be at risk of relapse for several years.

Written By: La Roche on 08/30/07 at 11:47 pm

You'd be surprised.  Heroin addicts come in all stripes.  I've known a few you'd never guess.  One of 'em seemed like a sweet little elementary school librarian.  You know why?  Because she was!
Usually the addiction is the result of a comorbidity that makes it difficult for the addict to maintain a "normal" life, eg. psychiatric disability.  However, there are a few who keep it hidden for months, perhaps years.  The commonality comes when they have to kick the habit.

Courtney Love played Althea Flynt a little too well, just as Owen Wilson played Eli Cash, the drug-addled suicidal pulp western writer a little too well...but how many of those are there for comparison?
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/dontknow.gif

I am glad Owen Wilson didn't die like John Belushi and Chris Farley, but he's got a long struggle ahead of him and if he's an addict, he will be at risk of relapse for several years.

That's a good point, it's strange, two different substances at either end of the.. scale.. as it were, have similar sort of signs, i.e - None. You really can't tell how much gear somebody smokes, same as.. apart from the poverty and seeming anorexia, you can't tell how much of that s**t they're shooting in their veins.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/31/07 at 12:55 am

That's a good point, it's strange, two different substances at either end of the.. scale.. as it were, have similar sort of signs, i.e - None. You really can't tell how much gear somebody smokes, same as.. apart from the poverty and seeming anorexia, you can't tell how much of that s**t they're shooting in their veins.

The case I cited was actually shooting H.  I dunno if her co-workers wondered why she never wore shortsleeves.  I didn't know either.  All I knew was she was rail thin and dressed in this eccentric style, looked like something out of the 1870s.  She went to Smith in the '80s, she studied dance, she was divorced from a Vermont carpenter, daddy was rich.  I assumed she was perpetually anorexic.  Nothing that would turn heads in this area.  There she was like Mary Poppins stamping children's books at the circulating library and shooting up with a smackwhore on off-hours.  Everybody needs a friend.  She never had to worry about funds, she had plenty of daddy's money.  I didn't find out the sordid details until after the fact.

Anyway, there's no need to shoot up.  Oxycodone does the job.  Just because you're not shooting it doesn't mean you're not a junkie. Keeping records and transcription in a physiatry clinic, I see it all the time.  I didn't understand before why doctors and pharmacists are so uptight about opiates, now I get it!  I can tell from the reports who's legit and who's throwing a wing-ding.  Often it starts out with an injury, a scoliotic condition, or something like that, then you notice the amount of pain meds they're trying to get is not commensurate with the stage of treatment, ie. the pain is gone, but they still want the Percocet!  The docs often switch the patient to a Duragesic patch, which provides a steady stream of medicine, but not the ecstatic blast they get from pills.  Occasionally you get a doctor shopper.  They don't get far with our docs.  There are a few croakers down in Springfield who'll write a scrip for anything to anybody!  My friend who works a the methadone clinic knows who they are.
8)

Written By: NbC on 08/31/07 at 3:22 am

The suicide attempt is still just a rumor at this point.  It was started by the National Enquirer and Star magazine after all.  And I don't think they are a reputable source for publishing the complete truth.

But on the other hand the fact that he did choose to not continue with his latest movie (s) does indicate something is deeply troubling him.  It is really sad though. 

Written By: Dukefan on 08/31/07 at 5:18 pm

^The police report confirmed that it was a suicide attempt:

http://imdb.com/news/wenn/2007-08-29

Written By: LilSmurf on 08/31/07 at 5:29 pm

I heard about this.  I was surprised because we don't hear much about him.  Then all of a sudden this news pops up. 

Written By: Gis on 09/01/07 at 3:19 pm

Major league coke user with occassional dabbles into other stuff apparently.........

Written By: La Roche on 09/02/07 at 12:28 am

Major league coke user with occassional dabbles into other stuff apparently.........

Not a surprise that he likes a little charlie, just can't see somebody like him shooting up, but then again, stranger things happen at sea.

Check for new replies or respond here...