inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Do you think the '00s are too modernized?

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/01/07 at 12:07 am

One thing I've noticed about this decade which defines it (and not for the better, imo) is this generally "cramped", cluttered feeling. You can notice this atmosphere when you look at a city street or the design of buildings. For instance, more housing developments are popping up all the time around here. You can differentiate by how close together and sectionalized they are (i.e. less front yards), with the houses usually painted white or some other bright color.

More shopping centers get facelifts with updated logos (including food chains like Burger King and Pizza Hut). This is even more noticeable with malls, which is really a shame because they held onto their classic feel for so long. They were pretty much like an advanced version of the '80s up as far as the early 2000s. Alot of the same stores were around too, even if past their glory days.

When I see things like this, I realized exactly why I can pinpoint what separates this decade from the more laid back '90s. Places could be 8-10 years out of date without people caring, and there weren't constant renovations and teardowns of older buildings. This extended to people not being as tech obsessed - cassettes, film cameras, VCRs and similar things which peaked some years before, were still king or at least kinda popular. Mom and pop stores co-existed with the big chains, so it wasn't yet Starbucks, WalMart and McDonald's everywhere you looked (well okay, maybe McDonald's! ;D ).

Maybe I just notice it more living in a metropolitan area in a big city, but does anyone see what I mean about things suddenly shooting into this uncomfortable "postmodern" feeling around 2001-2003?

Subject: Re: Do you think the '00s are too modernized?

Written By: sonikuu on 09/01/07 at 2:08 am

Eh...I have noticed that more housing developments are showing up around my area and there was (just finished mostly)a lot of construction as well.  I do think there is too much of an emphasis on being flashy and modern these days.  The Burger King logo change is a perfect example because they stuck with their old log for years, yet suddenly felt the need to replace it.  Every single time a company changes their logo, it just annoys me.  Now Volkswagon is thinking of changing their logo, which has been around for decades (http://www.brandcurve.com/volkswagen-revamping-the-vw-logo/).

The thing that annoys me though is how everything has to have something tacked onto it.  What the hell is the point of all the stuff on cell phones?  And don't forget that SUVs HAVE to come with tvs for the kids!  Video games also suffer from this to some degree although I find that video game companies tend to at least be a bit better about the whole thing, since online play and downloading old games (and updates for new ones) actually enhances the experience and doesn't have the "tacked on" feel that, say, ringtones on people's phones have.

Speaking of video games, one thing I don't like is the lack of old video games in stores.  It used to be that I could go into a game store in 1999 and find games from ten years ago on the NES right beside the then-modern fair on the N64 and PS1.  Sometime around 2002-2003 though, a lot of the national chains got rid of their classic stock, usually by simply destroying them or throwing them in the trash.  The PS1 (but not N64 or Dreamcast) games managed to hold out a bit longer, but they were finally taken out in 2006 except at one EB, where they exist in an increasingly empty bargain bin.  Local stores still carry old games from ten years ago, but not national ones because they've got to make more room for Madden copies!  Finding a game made in 1990 in 2000 at a national chain store was easy, but finding a game made in 1997 at a chain store is impossible.

I definitely think there is more of a desire to be modern now and "up to date" now and that the retro feel that was existent in previous decades is suffering because of it.  Luckily for me, theres an area of town I used to go back when I was kid.  They have an awesome store (located only at a couple locations in the state) that sells all kinds of old books, movies, video games, etc.  Right next to it is the Atomic Comics I loved as a kid.  The area of town these two stores are in has changed very, very little over the years (my parents say a lot of the area doesn't look too different from the 80s, although I'll always associate it with the 90s) and the interior of the stores remained unchanged for years.  Going to that part of town once a month is always a nice nostalgic trip for me as those remnants of retroness are rare nowadays.  The Atomic Comics just got a interior redecoration (it honestly feels more empty now and the counter tripled in size) though so even that retroness that lingered around for years is disappearing.  Such a shame!

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 09/01/07 at 2:28 am

i don't know what else to say except that i know what you mean  :-\\.

everything looks so polished and anti-septic these days....

Written By: audkal on 09/01/07 at 10:54 am

Yeah, it's like businesses feel they have to be modern or else they won't get any business at all.  It's the same with technology--it's all about getting the most up-to-date stuff.  So yeah I definitely see what you mean.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 09/01/07 at 11:55 am

I live in a fairly rural area, the closest town to me that I would call "big" is Warner Robins which is about 20 or so miles away, and even I've noticed this. In Perry, we have had two K-Marts shut down due to Wal-Mart, which moved there in 1999. Most of the restaurants have upgraded to the more modern look, and a couple of other stores have been totally shut down.

The perfect example of what your talking about Marty occurred in my old hometown a few years ago. The city decided to tear down two very old buildings for no apparent reason. The old elementary school that I attended in the mid '90s that opened in 1921, and a Knitting Mill that my grandparents worked at years ago that opened in 1905. That actually upset me alot, as both of those buildings have been fixtures in the town as long as I can remember.

The only "old school" stuff really left around here is the local Pizza Hut, and Taco Bell, which both have there old '80s look, and haven't been updated yet.

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/01/07 at 2:43 pm

Good points.

While updatedness has always existed to a point, it's ridiculous the obsession it's become with the masses. I think the sudden change of classic logos is the perfect example. You get the idea they do it merely for the sake of being modern, which is stupid.

Even though the '80s were also very trendy and celebrated new things (VCRs, cable, microwaves, arcades, MTV), it somehow seemed not quite as "in your face" as it does now. Cellphones scream obnoxiousness to me. Not their existance as much as the way people flaunt them or just how dominant they are. It's like they've become a needless portable home entertainment system. That's one way a '90s street scene or gathering spot looks way different. People still took pictures with real cameras that couldn't fit in their pocket.

You could probably argue that technology, corporate globalization and gentrification have replaced trends and fashion in terms of people always having to be up to date on them. I miss the days when the worst thing that you'd hear was, "That hair is so 3 years ago!" ;)

Sonikuu says he noticed national chains carrying less "old stock", which I've seen too. NES games were still not unheard of to see in the mid-late '90s. Music stores still had a decent selection of cassettes as well. This part is purely a coincidence with timing, but the dropoff in boxy-styled cars also makes the streets lose alot of their "classic" look (as those were still common in the '90s). Even then-modern cars, while rounded, still were designed like a real automobile and not spaceships like today, lol.

Written By: coqueta83 on 09/01/07 at 7:43 pm

I miss those old logos-sometimes I still see the old Burger King, Taco Bell, and even Arby's logos here and there, but for the most part they're all gone. There's an Arby's in town that still has that retro sign that says "Arby's Roast Beef Sandwiches Are Delicious". It's been there probably longer than I've been alive, and I love it. I hope they never get rid of it. In the previous town I lived at, there was a Burger King that still had the "Home of the Whopper" below the "Burger King" sign until it closed down. One of my most favorite logos ever was the Lucky grocery store logo. Lucky has actually made a mini-comeback here-Albertson's rebranded some of their stores as Lucky in some of the lower-income neighborhoods. I don't know how long that will last, so I may as well enjoy it while I can.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/01/07 at 10:31 pm

I miss those old logos-sometimes I still see the old Burger King, Taco Bell, and even Arby's logos here and there, but for the most part they're all gone. There's an Arby's in town that still has that retro sign that says "Arby's Roast Beef Sandwiches Are Delicious". It's been there probably longer than I've been alive, and I love it. I hope they never get rid of it. In the previous town I lived at, there was a Burger King that still had the "Home of the Whopper" below the "Burger King" sign until it closed down. One of my most favorite logos ever was the Lucky grocery store logo. Lucky has actually made a mini-comeback here-Albertson's rebranded some of their stores as Lucky in some of the lower-income neighborhoods. I don't know how long that will last, so I may as well enjoy it while I can.

I'm definitely with you on that one! ;) I am one that is so much into old signs/logos/designs....it's like...JUST LEAVE WELL ENOUGH ALONE!! :-\\

Written By: robby76 on 09/01/07 at 11:22 pm

My father was a town planner of a major city from the late 70s to the early 90s. He is literally disgusted at the flaunting of long standing planning laws. Huge tower blocks are now being built too close to the main roads - leading to a feeling of congestion, and the local green lungs are being cleared for yet more apartment blocks. He keeps saying they would have never been allowed back in his time. It is such a shame that money speaks over quality of living.

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/01/07 at 11:32 pm

Does anyone think the more boxy, plain '80slike logos (which alot of places kept well into the '90s) hold a charm to them that the futuristic ones don't? Even, like the graphics on TV stations were more basic back then. Or I loved the original VH1 cutout logo.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/02/07 at 12:27 am

Does anyone think the more boxy, plain '80slike logos (which alot of places kept well into the '90s) hold a charm to them that the futuristic ones don't? Even, like the graphics on TV stations were more basic back then. Or I loved the original VH1 cutout logo.

Yes, I agree. I absolutely hate the new designs of things. :(

Written By: sonikuu on 09/02/07 at 2:18 am

Yes, I like their straightforwardness and how they don't add in a bunch of unnecessary crap like today's logos do.  Lets do a quick comparision for fun.

Old Pizza Hut Logo
http://www.248am.com/images/pizzahut.gif
New Pizza Hut Logo
http://www.foodfacts.info/blog/uploaded_images/pizza-hut-logo.gif
Old Burger King Logo
http://www.bkmarcus.com/blog/images/food/BK/BurgerKingLogoOld.gif
New Burger King Logo
http://www.southernstylecruisers.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2006/11/WindowsLiveWriter/SaturdayNightBurgerKingCruisein_13353/593px-Burger_King_Logo_svg_thumb%5B7%5D.png
1987-1994 VH1 Logo
http://img.search.com/thumb/5/56/Vh1_old.gif/150px-Vh1_old.gif
1994-2003 VH1 Logo
http://www.exiled-band.com/images/Merchants/VH1Logo.gif
New VH1 Logo
http://television.gearlive.com/blogimages/VH1logo2.jpg

Sorry, but it just seems like they're trying too hard to be flashy and "hip".  That new VH1 logo is pretty much a crime against humanity.  Come to think of it, according to Wikipedia, it was after they debuted their new logo that they officially dropped "Music First" from its name and started focusing on nostalgia shows ("I Love The" series) and increasing the amount of reality shows on the channel.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 09/02/07 at 9:40 am

Sonikuu says he noticed national chains carrying less "old stock", which I've seen too. NES games were still not unheard of to see in the mid-late '90s. Music stores still had a decent selection of cassettes as well. This part is purely a coincidence with timing, but the dropoff in boxy-styled cars also makes the streets lose alot of their "classic" look (as those were still common in the '90s). Even then-modern cars, while rounded, still were designed like a real automobile and not spaceships like today, lol.

Cassettes started disappearing from music stores here around 2001, and by the end of 2002, there were pretty much none left.

The local video game store, unfortunately, stopped selling old school video games about a month ago. One of the reasons that I think I love the '90s so much is because it had the perfect blend between new and old school. In 1997 you could get on the internet, but still go to your local record store, and buy cassette tapes. You could go out and buy a(at that time) new DVD player, but in almost any video store you would find nothing but VHS tapes.

On a side note about the NES, like I said before, I didn't get one until 1995, and even at that time they were still being sold in Wal-Mart, and games were still being sold everywhere. That was a decade after it came to the USA. By comparison, I haven't seen a PS1 or N64 in even a video game store in years.

Written By: audkal on 09/02/07 at 11:21 am

Yeah I tend to prefer the old logos.  But that's probably just because I grew up with them so I'm used to them. ;D

Cassettes started disappearing from music stores here around 2001, and by the end of 2002, there were pretty much none left.

The local video game store, unfortunately, stopped selling old school video games about a month ago. One of the reasons that I think I love the '90s so much is because it had the perfect blend between new and old school. In 1997 you could get on the internet, but still go to your local record store, and buy cassette tapes. You could go out and buy a(at that time) new DVD player, but in almost any video store you would find nothing but VHS tapes.

On a side note about the NES, like I said before, I didn't get one until 1995, and even at that time they were still being sold in Wal-Mart, and games were still being sold everywhere. That was a decade after it came to the USA. By comparison, I haven't seen a PS1 or N64 in even a video game store in years.

Yeah I remember when the primary format was audio cassettes.  I don't think I got a CD till like '99, but the first time I saw a CD, I could only think of computer games.  Since CD-Roms were the first "disk" format I was involved with, lol.

I think the last time I saw new Sega Genesis games at a store was in like '98--except last year, when I saw one in a bargain bin at a K-Mart mixed in with a bunch of other stuff.  I almost wanted to buy it just so I could say, "I bought the last Genesis game in town." ;D

Written By: tv on 09/02/07 at 11:56 am

Yes, I like their straightforwardness and how they don't add in a bunch of unnecessary crap like today's logos do.  Lets do a quick comparision for fun.

Old Pizza Hut Logo
New Pizza Hut Logo
Old Burger King Logo
New Burger King Logo
http://www.southernstylecruisers.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2006/11/WindowsLiveWriter/SaturdayNightBurgerKingCruisein_13353/593px-Burger_King_Logo_svg_thumb%5B7%5D.png
1987-1994 VH1 Logo
1994-2003 VH1 Logo
New VH1 Logo

Sorry, but it just seems like they're trying too hard to be flashy and "hip".  That new VH1 logo is pretty much a crime against humanity.  Come to think of it, according to Wikipedia, it was after they debuted their new logo that they officially dropped "Music First" from its name and started focusing on nostalgia shows ("I Love The" series) and increasing the amount of reality shows on the channel.
Just for fun:

I like the old Pizza Hut logo better than the new one.

I actually do like the newer Burger King Logo than the old one.

I like the 1994-2003 VH1 logo better alot better than the new one but the new Vh1` logo does reflect we are all are about tracking celebs latest moves with the flashy pink and yellow colors on the logo.

Written By: tv on 09/02/07 at 12:34 pm

Yeah but cars in the late 90's alot of cars got tagged for looking too much alike and I think everybody had grown tired of the Box car look of the 80's and the jelly-bean back ends that cars had in the 90's.

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/02/07 at 7:32 pm

^ That's true actually. Late '90s cars probably started the "super modern" design, like with being even rounder and having the trunk kinda tucked underneath the back seat. The primitive round cars were probably about 1991-1997.

Yeah I tend to prefer the old logos.  But that's probably just because I grew up with them so I'm used to them. ;D

Yeah I remember when the primary format was audio cassettes.  I don't think I got a CD till like '99, but the first time I saw a CD, I could only think of computer games.  Since CD-Roms were the first "disk" format I was involved with, lol.

I think the last time I saw new Sega Genesis games at a store was in like '98--except last year, when I saw one in a bargain bin at a K-Mart mixed in with a bunch of other stuff.  I almost wanted to buy it just so I could say, "I bought the last Genesis game in town." ;D

Yeah, I did the same thing when Tower Records closed down last December. Even though I didn't need some of them (i.e. if I already had the CD), I swept up some of the tapes in the bargain bin, almost just for the sake of being one of the last people to buy them new, lol.

Written By: coqueta83 on 09/02/07 at 7:40 pm

Old Pizza Hut Logo
New Pizza Hut Logo
Old Burger King Logo
New Burger King Logo
1987-1994 VH1 Logo
1994-2003 VH1 Logo
New VH1 Logo

I'll take the old logos over the new ones any day.  :)

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 09/02/07 at 9:13 pm

Some modernism is ok, but it's gone a bit too overboard over the last 7 years. I like the old, 80s or 90s look of some things. (brings memories of childhood I guess). And that logo for VH1 (the latest one) is hideous.  :P

I also don't like the willingness of city planners to simply destroy old & heritage buildings for flashy apartments & hotel blocks. Some development is good, but it's a big mistake doing away with the old and completely replacing them with dull, lifeless, multi-story apartments. I also think every mall in the city has been "updated" in the last 10 years, the only one that seems original is the seaside mall in which I rarely frequent.

Written By: Roadgeek on 09/02/07 at 9:34 pm

Marty, I agree with you 100%!

Living in a mid-sized city of Greensboro, North Carolina, I have noticed many of these things. Everything I see being built are housing developments and Wal-Marts.

Carolina Circle Mall closed in 2002 and was demolished in 2005. A new Wal-Mart opened in its place last year. What I liked about Carolina Circle is that it had all kinds of colors mainly consisting of lime green, pink, and baby blue. Very late '80s/'90s.

Even Four Seasons Mall (Carolina Circle's competitor) that was a little better in most of the '90s was renovated in 1998 and is now very dull.

As for emblems, I agree. I think newer designs tend to be more sleeker than their old school counterparts. This is especially evident with Pizza Hut and Burger King.

Written By: coqueta83 on 09/02/07 at 11:58 pm

Here's that Arby's sign I mentioned in the previous post:

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff24/coqueta1983/arbysvintagesign.jpg

And here's the classic Lucky stores logo:

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff24/coqueta1983/lucky.gif

:) :)

Written By: whistledog on 09/03/07 at 1:12 am

Here's a logo that I am still trying to adjust to.  In Canada, we have a chain of convenience stores called MAC'S (known as COUCHE-TARD in some parts of Quebec).  The original logo featured a cat wearing a tam, but they changed it in the 90s to an Owl, more so to express that the store is open 24 hours.

I couldn't find a picture of the Cat logo, but for those of you in Canada, you remember the Cat, don't you?  I miss him :\'(

http://www.autoclearingmotorspeedway.ca/logos/MACS%20logo%202c%20rev%20rgb.jpg
http://www.matin.qc.ca/images/24030702.jpg

Written By: Brian06 on 09/03/07 at 4:03 am

The old Pizza Hut logo I do like better.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/03/07 at 9:03 am

And here's the classic Lucky stores logo:

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff24/coqueta1983/lucky.gif

:) :)

oh, that Arby's is a total classic! I think we might have an Arby's around here somewhere that still dons that particular sign....I will have to try to find it and take a pic of it.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 09/03/07 at 9:06 am

I always liked this logo:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d8/Kmart_logo_old.PNG

K-Mart's logo up until the mid '90s. There was one of those older K-Marts about 15 miles from here up until 1995.

Written By: whistledog on 09/03/07 at 9:35 am

K-Mart's logo up until the mid '90s. There was one of those older K-Marts about 15 miles from here up until 1995.

I liked that logo too.  Then they switched (i believe) to just a BIG K with the word Mart in white inside of the K on an angle.  The K-Mart that was around here closed down many many years ago.  I still miss it :\'(

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/03/07 at 9:38 am

oh man, I forgot about that one...LOVED IT! ;)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/03/07 at 9:49 am

I also loved when KFC, was Kentucky Fried Chicken..and not just KFC.

http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/5606/kentucky2520fried2520chvk9.jpg

I also LOVED the old Pepsi logo
http://img160.imageshack.us/img160/8747/pepsi2520old2520logot18je0.jpg

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 09/03/07 at 10:03 am

^I LOVE the old Pepsi logo. It looks so cool 8)

I liked that logo too.  Then they switched (i believe) to just a BIG K with the word Mart in white inside of the K on an angle.  The K-Mart that was around here closed down many many years ago.  I still miss it :\'(

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/9e/Kmart_Logo_1990-2004.gif

Yeah, this was the logo that most K-Mart's switched to in the mid '90s.

Some newer K-Mart's use this promotional logo:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/ae/Lime_Kmart_chevron_proto.png

Written By: Brian06 on 09/03/07 at 10:09 am

^I LOVE the old Pepsi logo. It looks so cool 8)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/9e/Kmart_Logo_1990-2004.gif

Yeah, this was the logo that most K-Mart's switched to in the mid '90s.

Some newer K-Mart's use this promotional logo:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/ae/Lime_Kmart_chevron_proto.png

Here is the most recent kmart logo, a little different than the one above.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j277/briand06/kmart.jpg

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 09/03/07 at 10:22 am

Here is the most recent kmart logo, a little different than the one above.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j277/briand06/kmart.jpg

Oh yeah, forgot about that one. It's not that bad I guess.

Honestly, it doesn't look that different from the other one, so I don't know why they even bothered to change it.

Written By: audkal on 09/03/07 at 11:42 am

Oh, we still have an Arby's with that sign, so cool.  8)

BTW, haven't most K-Marts turned into "Big K-Mart"? --->

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/0a/Big_Kmart,_Ontario,_Oregon_2006.jpeg/800px-Big_Kmart,_Ontario,_Oregon_2006.jpeg

Written By: Brian06 on 09/03/07 at 11:47 am

Oh, we still have an Arby's with that sign, so cool.  8)

BTW, haven't most K-Marts turned into "Big K-Mart"? --->

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/0a/Big_Kmart,_Ontario,_Oregon_2006.jpeg/800px-Big_Kmart,_Ontario,_Oregon_2006.jpeg

Idk what was with the "big" kmart thing, it was the same old kmart with big in front of the name (did they think that made it look better or something? lol). I think they're actually phasing out the big kmart thing and just going back to plain old kmart.

Written By: audkal on 09/03/07 at 11:55 am

Idk what was with the "big" kmart thing, it was the same old kmart with big in front of the name (did they think that made it look better or something? lol). I think they're actually phasing out the big kmart thing and just going back to plain old kmart.

Yeah, our K-Marts didn't seem to get any bigger after the "change". ;D  Kinda weird.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 09/03/07 at 4:51 pm

They still use that one down here. Which I'm happy with.

To be honest, there Are some new logos that are better than the old. ie:
http://abracadabra.co.nz/wse/graphics/farmers%20logo.jpg (The old one was just the word Farmers in big red letters)

http://www.suntec.co.nz/The_Warehouse_Logo.jpg vs. http://www.rwr.co.nz/images/Warehouse-logo.gif (The lettering is more simplistic and blends better with the red & yellow)

And I'm glad I'm not the only only one who hates these "Big", "Mega" discount stores that pop up around town, take over tons of land and are empty inside. To to mention they are hideous with their colouring scheme and bland building design:
http://www.sumnertoferrymead.co.nz/images/mten016.jpg

They have since decided to change the colour, but it's still ugly, orange or no orange!  :P

Written By: coqueta83 on 09/03/07 at 8:49 pm

Of all the KMart logos, this one will always be my favorite. I never liked any of the logos they came out with since discontinuing the classic logo.

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/03/07 at 9:36 pm

I also loved when KFC, was Kentucky Fried Chicken..and not just KFC.

http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/5606/kentucky2520fried2520chvk9.jpg

I also LOVED the old Pepsi logo
http://img160.imageshack.us/img160/8747/pepsi2520old2520logot18je0.jpg

That's true, huh? Even if places were abbreviated when people mentioned them, most still were technically called their full name in the past. Doesn't that make it seems more authentic in a way? Like the old-school CDs they made in the real 1980s, will often have a little symbol in the corner that says Compact Disc, Digital Audio.

I like the Pepsi logo too.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/03/07 at 9:38 pm

That's true, huh? Even if places were abbreviated when people mentioned them, most still were technically called their full name in the past. Doesn't that make it seems more authentic in a way? Like the old-school CDs they made in the real 1980s, will often have a little symbol in the corner that says Compact Disc, Digital Audio.

I like the Pepsi logo too.

yes, exactly! For instance, I hate that they call Long John Silver's...LJS...I refuse to conform to that abbreviation! ;) ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/06/07 at 5:48 pm

What is alarming to me is the accelerating declne of the American town.  Public space is disappearing in favor of private retail properties.  Stores you could once walk to are gone and replaced by stripmalls you can only drive to.  Commodity not community.  This is having a profoundly detrimental effect on American culture.

Written By: fusefan on 09/28/07 at 4:29 pm

I work at a Hy-Vee grocery store. And I think the older logo is better than the current one .

Older logo:

http://www.graceland.edu/sife/images/hyvee.jpg

Current logo  ::) :

http://www.foodpoisonblog.com/hyvee-bg.gif

Check for new replies or respond here...