inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Music trends of the 00's and timeframes that they happen in:

Written By: tv on 09/02/07 at 12:53 pm

I would have to say it goes like this:

1999-2000: Teen Pop: Britney, N'Sync

2001-2002: in between years but the fued between rappers Nas and Jay-Z is huge news.

2003: Rap music explodes in popularity with 50 Cent, A/C becomes big with Maroon 5.

2004: Crunk becomes big with rapper Lil Jon's hit "Get Low". This leads R&B singer Usher to incorporate Crunk into his music with his own hit that called "Yeah" in 2004. R&b singer Ciarra is declared the "princess of Crunk" in 2005 by Lil Jon I think. 80's New Wave/synth-pop makes a little of a comeback with Franz Ferdinand and The Killers.

late 2005/mid 2006: snap rap explodes in popularity with DL4 and Dem Franchise Boyz and paves the way for snap-rap one hit wonders and combining dance music with hip-hop becomes with producer Timbiland, and singers like Nelly Furtado and Justin Timberlake.

Subject: Re: Music trends of the 00's and timeframes that they happen in:

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/02/07 at 7:20 pm

Yeah, I'd say you're right with all that.

I'll also add that some time in 2003 was a big change. That seemed to be when "oldies"-type pop songs seemed to noticeably die out, and there were less songs without a hip hop influence. Something like Uncle Kracker's cover of "Drift Away", Michelle Branch and Santana's "The Game of Love" or even Avril's first songs probably wouldn't chart nearly as high today.

I think overall, early 1997 (when the Spice Girls got big) to 2002 or early '03 was the transitional period. Although 1999 is the first year at all you could say included "Zeroes music". Even though it sounds quite dated, Britney's early stuff and Blink 182 kind of fit the '00s image in a developmental way.

Speaking of AC, I do think it's made a slight comeback (although the songs could be better, lol) with, say James Blunt, Snow Patrol and "Bad Day" type songs. 2003-2005 seemed to be the most hip hop-oriented time of all.

Written By: tv on 09/02/07 at 7:54 pm

Yeah, I'd say you're right with all that.

Even though it sounds quite dated, Britney's early stuff and Blink 182 kind of fit the '00s image in a developmental way.

I think Britney stuff like "Crazy" and "Baby One More Time" has that catchiness lyrically and a catchy beat to it that the alot of 00's songs have. Think: Yeah by Usher, or Drop Like Its Hot by Snoop Dogg and Pharell.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 09/02/07 at 8:40 pm

Very much the same here too, but with our own trends added in to mix. Like the entire "Dub" scene of the early-00s, the garage rock scene of the early-00s which kinda tied in with the White Stripes-esque bands popular then (although The White Stripes are still popular), then the electronic music scene mostly mid-00s and the "indie rock-revival" scene of later years.

Of course not as popular as the trends shown in post #1.

Written By: batfan2005 on 09/03/07 at 11:37 am

Here's what I came up with, and some of the timeframes overlap each other:

2000-2002: Teen pop (Britney, NSYNC), Latin pop (Ricky Martin, Enrique, Mark Antony, Shakirah, J-Lo), Rap/pop artists like Ja Rule (J-Lo was with him too), DMX, and Nelly were popular. Destiny's Child and Eminem were huge. This period was pretty much same as the late 90's.

2000-2004: STL based artists like Nelly, Chingy, and J-Kwon

2003-2007: Emo (The Killerz, Maroon 5, All-American Rejects, Plain White-T's)

2003-2007: G-Unit artists (50 Cent, The Game), and Kanye West

2003-2005: Crunk (Lil' Jon)

2005-2007: Snap (Dem Franchise Boyz, D4L, Shop Boyz, Mims, Unk, Soldier Boy)

2005-2007: Chopped & Screwed (Mike Jones, Paul Wall)

2005-2007: Blend of hip-hip and r&b (Pretty Ricky, Omarion, Lloyd, Akon, T-Pain)

2004/5-2007: A/C (James Blunt, Daniel Powter)

2004-2007: Electro dance-pop (Gwen Stefani, Nelly Furtado, J. T-Lake, Timberland, Fergie)

2004 and 2005: Reggaetons (Daddy Yankee)

2000-2007: Artists that have been around since the 90's like Snoop Dogg, R. Kelly, Usher, and Outkast. Beyonce pretty much has the entire 00's as well.

I may have left some things out. If I think of anything else I'll post it later. When you look at it this way, the 00's do have a wide variety of music.

Written By: Brian06 on 09/03/07 at 11:38 am

2000-2002: Teen pop (Britney, NSYNC), Latin pop (Ricky Martin, Enrique, Mark Antony, Shakirah, J-Lo), Rap/pop artists like Ja Rule (J-Lo was with him too), DMX, and Nelly were popular. Destiny's Child and Eminem were huge. This period was pretty much same as the late 90's.

2000-2004: STL based artists like Nelly, Chingy, and J-Kwon

2003-2007: G-Unit artists (50 Cent, The Game), and Kanye West

2003-2005: Crunk (Lil' Jon)

2005-2007: Snap (Dem Franchise Boyz, D4L, Shop Boyz, Mims, Unk, Soldier Boy)

2005-2007: Chopped & Screwed (Mike Jones, Paul Wall)

2005-2007: Blend of hip-hip and r&b (Pretty Ricky, Omarion, Lloyd, Akon, T-Pain)

2004/5-2007: A/C (James Blunt, Daniel Powter)

2004-2007: Electro dance-pop (Gwen Stefani, Nelly Furtado, J. T-Lake, Timberland, Fergie)

2004 and 2005: Reggaetons (Daddy Yankee)

2000-2007: Artists that have been around since the 90's like Snoop Dogg, R. Kelly, Usher, and Outkast. Beyonce pretty much has the entire 00's as well.

I may have left some things out. If I think of anything else I'll post it later. When you look at it this way, the 00's do have a wide variety of music.

Maroon 5 is emo?  ???

Written By: tv on 09/03/07 at 4:37 pm

The Killers are EMO?

Written By: tv on 09/03/07 at 4:40 pm

2004 and 2005: Reggaetons(Daddy Yankee.)

I would have to diagree with you that the early 00's and the late 90's are the same I mean 1997-1998 seemed different to me than 1999-2001/2002. I mean of the artists you named Ricky Martin, Enrique, Mark Anthony, J-Lo, and Eminem all came out in 1999. Britney came out like a 1-2 weeks before Christmas time in 1998 I think and Ja Rule maybe came out early in December of 1998 I think because he was one of the artists that had rap verses in Jay-Z's hit "Can I Get A....?" Destiny;s Child came out in mid 1998 and scored big with their  hit "No, No, No" featuring Wycleff Jean.

I think Shakira came out in 2000 or 2001. Nelky came out in mid 2000 I think, and your right about DMX though he does fit  the late 90's/early 00's era.

As far as reggae goes don;t forget about Sean Paul.

Written By: Brian06 on 09/08/07 at 10:58 am

1999-2001- Boy bands, Britney, Christina, etc. early material. Latin pop (which pretty much fit in with the whole boy band image anyway). Girl groups like Destiny's Child rise to prominence.
2001-2003- hip-hop/r&b takes over more and more but it's a more listenable and r&b slanted hip-hop style that dominates (Ashanti, Nelly, Eve, Ja Rule, City high, Alicia Keys, Shaggy, etc.) Pop-rock artists like Michelle Branch, Avril Lavigne, Vanessa Carlton, Shakira along with typical post-grunge bands like Puddle of Mudd, Nickelback, Lifehouse, Fuel are prominent. This is probably the best part of the decade. Christina, Britney, J. Lo broaden their styles away from bubblegum pop.
2003-2005- Crunk/dance takes eventually takes over the hip-hop world and the pop music world in a lot of ways as well, hip-hop music still has a lot of r&b/soul style songs as well like "Burn", "If I Ain't Got You", "My Boo", etc. This timeperiod was decent, not great though.
2006-now- This is the low point and most disgusting part of the decade (at least looking at our music charts here in the US). Snap music comes up and officially ruins hip-hop. Snap/dance hip-hop/gimmick songs are what's prominent on the charts right now. The r&b/soul influence in most urban music is at a terrible low. Rock is filled with whiny emo bands and Nickelback has gone from mediocre to just plain terrible. I don't even want to look at the charts anymore because I get a sick feeling in my stomach (Soulja Boy hitting number 1 recently for example). There's decent stuff still but the bad stuff is just sooo damn bad that it makes the overall scene look like crap.

All in all I don't care that much since nowadays I spend most of my time listening to '90s and 1st half '00s music.

Written By: JohnDoe on 09/08/07 at 2:12 pm

Alot of you are forgetting that 2001 and 2002 were big years for A/C as well, along with Rock/Soft Rock and Contemporary R&B

In 2001, we had alot of hits such as...

"Fallin'" by Alicia Keys
"Drops of Jupiter" by Train
"Hanging By A Moment" by Lifehouse
"Thank You" by Dido
"Jaded" by Aerosmith
"It's Been Awhile" by Staind
"Drive" by Incubus
"Hemorrhage" by Fuel
"Crazy" by K-Ci & JoJo
"Beautiful Day" by U2
"When It's Over" by Sugar Ray
"Southside" by Moby & Gwen Stefani
"Butterfly" by Crazy Town
"Again" by Lenny Kravitz
"I'm Like A Bird" by Nelly Furtado
"Everywhere" by Michelle Branch
"Here's To The Night" by Eve 6
"What Would You Do?' by City High
"Be Like That" by 3 Doors Down
"Only Time" by Enya
"Breathless" by The Corrs
"Yellow" by Coldplay
"Best I Ever Had" by Vertical Horizon
"Differences" by Ginuwine
"Hero" by Enrique Iglesias
"Clint Eastwood" by Gorillaz

I could go on forever.  That 2001 to 2002 era wasn't all filled with bubblegum pop like 1999 and 2000 were.  I consider 2001 more like a 1998 throwback with alot of A/C Hits and R&B

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 09/08/07 at 2:48 pm

1999-2001- Boy bands, Britney, Christina, etc. early material. Latin pop (which pretty much fit in with the whole boy band image anyway). Girl groups like Destiny's Child rise to prominence.
2001-2003- hip-hop/r&b takes over more and more but it's a more listenable and r&b slanted hip-hop style that dominates (Ashanti, Nelly, Eve, Ja Rule, City high, Alicia Keys, Shaggy, etc.) Pop-rock artists like Michelle Branch, Avril Lavigne, Vanessa Carlton, Shakira along with typical post-grunge bands like Puddle of Mudd, Nickelback, Lifehouse, Fuel are prominent. This is probably the best part of the decade. Christina, Britney, J. Lo broaden their styles away from bubblegum pop.
2003-2005- Crunk/dance takes eventually takes over the hip-hop world and the pop music world in a lot of ways as well, hip-hop music still has a lot of r&b/soul style songs as well like "Burn", "If I Ain't Got You", "My Boo", etc. This timeperiod was decent, not great though.
2006-now- This is the low point and most disgusting part of the decade (at least looking at our music charts here in the US). Snap music comes up and officially ruins hip-hop. Snap/dance hip-hop/gimmick songs are what's prominent on the charts right now. The r&b/soul influence in most urban music is at a terrible low. Rock is filled with whiny emo bands and Nickelback has gone from mediocre to just plain terrible. I don't even want to look at the charts anymore because I get a sick feeling in my stomach (Soulja Boy hitting number 1 recently for example). There's decent stuff still but the bad stuff is just sooo damn bad that it makes the overall scene look like crap.

All in all I don't care that much since nowadays I spend most of my time listening to '90s and 1st half '00s music.

I totally agree. Music has been beyond horrible since about the middle of 2005.

Written By: sonikuu on 09/08/07 at 3:19 pm

I'd just like to butt in and say that I think people, both here and elsewhere, really overestimate Emo's dominance on the Rock charts.  Is Emo one of the most influential styles of music this decade?  Why, yes it is, no one can doubt that.  Is Emo one of the most popular styles of Rock music this decade?  Yes it is.  Does it completely dominate the charts and saturate the airwaves like some people say?  Not in the least.

To prove my point, I'll will use the most recent Modern Rock Tracks chart.

1.  Foo Fighters - The Pretender (Not Emo.  Post-Grunge more than anything.)
2.  Linkin Park - Bleet It Out (Not Emo.  One of Linkin Park's two Rap-Rock songs on their new album.)
3.  Finger Eleven - Paralyzer (Not Emo.  Awesome song btw.)
4.  Three Days Grace - Never Too Late (Not Emo, but they do have a lot of angst and they do suck)
5.  The White Stripes - Icky Thump (Not Emo.  Garage Rock influenced.)
6.  Muse - Supermassive Black Hole (Not Emo.)
7.  Paramore - Misery Business (Emo with a female singer)
8.  Linkin Park - What I've Done (Its filled with angst, but its not Emo.)
9.  Incubus - Oil and Water (Not Emo.  They were around long before Emo became popular.)
10.  Sick Puppies - All The Same (Doesn't appear to be Emo, but I'd have to hear the rest of their stuff.  Interestingly enough, this video was recorded in 2004 and was on youtube by 2006, but it hasn't appeared on the rock charts until now.)

Okay, 1 out of 10.  I wouldn't exactly call that saturating the airwaves.  I even noticed this with the Emo kids at school.  The Emo kids among teenagers are definitely a large amount and you can easily get the impression that Emo is the dominant style of rock music.  However, one look at the charts says differently.

Written By: Brian06 on 09/08/07 at 3:21 pm

I'd just like to butt in and say that I think people, both here and elsewhere, really overestimate Emo's dominance on the Rock charts.  Is Emo one of the most influential styles of music this decade?  Why, yes it is, no one can doubt that.  Is Emo one of the most popular styles of Rock music this decade?  Yes it is.  Does it completely dominate the charts and saturate the airwaves like some people say?  Not in the least.

2.  Linkin Park - Bleet It Out (Not Emo.  One of Linkin Park's two Rap-Rock songs on their new album.)
4.  Three Days Grace - Never Too Late (Not Emo, but they do have a lot of angst and they do suck)
9.  Incubus - Oil and Water (Not Emo.  They were around long before Emo became popular.)
10.  Sick Puppies - All The Same (Doesn't appear to be Emo, but I'd have to hear the rest of their stuff.  Interestingly enough, this video was recorded in 2004 and was on youtube by 2006, but it hasn't appeared on the rock charts until now.)

Okay, 1 out of 10.  I wouldn't exactly call that saturating the airwaves.  I even noticed this with the Emo kids at school.  The Emo kids among teenagers are definitely a large amount and you can easily get the impression that Emo is the dominant style of rock music.  However, one look at the charts says differently.

Emo is probably more popular on the pop charts than the rock charts. Emo is really more of a style/trend/look than it is music. The music is just a little thing really.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 09/08/07 at 3:36 pm

I like most of those songs. I hate Emo, but I do agree that it isn't nearly as dominant now as some think it is, in fact I think it may actually be past it's peak a little bit.

Written By: Brian06 on 09/08/07 at 3:40 pm

Most of those songs are good especially the foo fighters, incubus, muse, finger eleven.

Written By: tv on 09/08/07 at 6:09 pm

I have to agree with Brian and Machine Head even though I;m about 9 years older than Machine Head and I don;t know how much I I am older than Brian but music has sucked since mid 2005. I mean 2001-2005 were decent but not as good as the 90's. I mean shoot some of the hip-hop R&b songs from 2004 were listenable like "Karma"  by Avant and Lloyd Bank(I liked that song), Sunshine By Lil Flip and Lea, I Don't Wanna Know by Mario Winans. I remember people who were saying music sucked in 2002 but it wasn;t that bad.

The thing I can't stand about is all those gimmicky one-hit wonder flash in the pan snap rap acts nowadays the snap acts are just rap's version of rocks hair-metal era but at least the hair metal era had some good songs I can't say the same thing about the snap rap acts songs. I donlt reallt understand how these snap rap acts got to #1 on the Billboard charts.

Written By: tv on 09/08/07 at 6:20 pm

Like where in 2001 in your opinion did the teen-pop era die in your opinion?

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 09/08/07 at 6:25 pm

I have to agree with Brian and Machine Head even though I;m about 9 years older than Machine Head and I don;t know how much I I am older than Brian but music has sucked since mid 2005. I mean 2001-2005 were decent but not as good as the 90's. I mean shoot some of the hip-hop R&b songs from 2004 were listenable like "Karma"  by Avant and Lloyd Bank(I liked that song), Sunshine By Lil Flip and Lea, I Don't Wanna Know by Mario Winans. I remember people who were saying music sucked in 2002 but it wasn;t that bad.

The thing I can't stand about is all those gimmicky one-hit wonder flash in the pan snap rap acts nowadays the snap acts are just rap's version of rocks hair-metal era but at least the hair metal era had some good songs I can't say the same thing about the snap rap acts songs. I donlt reallt understand how these snap rap acts got to #1 on the Billboard charts.

I'm pretty sure Brian and me were both born in 1987. But I totally agree with you. I haven't really cared much for music since the middle of 2005. Other than rock, there's been maybe 5 or 6 songs that have come out over the last 2 years that I like.

Written By: Brian06 on 09/08/07 at 6:29 pm

Like where in 2001 in your opinion did the teen-pop era die in your opinion?

Around the spring.

Written By: Brian06 on 09/08/07 at 6:34 pm

I was born in May 87. Laffy Taffy (I know I keep mentioning this song but it was sadly a trend setter) started the whole "gimmicky songs getting straight to number 1" thing and it just doesn't seem to be going away. I wish I could understand the appeal of songs like "Buy U A Drank" but I can't, lol.

"I Don't Wanna Know" was definitely a good song, songs like that are like what I was saying about 2004 still having good r&b songs that were really popular, now while these types of songs are still there on the charts they always take the backseat to the snappin crap.

Written By: tv on 09/08/07 at 6:53 pm

I'm pretty sure Brian and me were both born in 1987. But I totally agree with you. I haven't really cared much for music since the middle of 2005. Other than rock, there's been maybe 5 or 6 songs that have come out over the last 2 years that I like.
Hmmm songs from 2006/2-007 that I like:

Can;t Tell Me Nothing-Kanye West
The People-Common
Ice Box-Omarion
Get It Shawty-Lloyd
Anonomyous-Bobby Valentiono featuring Timbaland
Be With You-Elisabeth Withers
Do It, Say It Right, Promiscouis-Nelly Furtado
You-Lloyd featuring Lil Wayne
If Hip Hop Is Dead-Nas
Last Nite-P. Diddy featuring Keyshia Cole
Lets Ride-The Game
How To Save a Life-The Fray(Ok good song but way overplayed)
Stickwitu-Pussycatt Dolls(I cant help but like this song.)
Slap-Ludicras

Written By: tv on 09/08/07 at 6:57 pm

I was born in May 87. Laffy Taffy (I know I keep mentioning this song but it was sadly a trend setter) started the whole "gimmicky songs getting straight to number 1" thing and it just doesn't seem to be going away. I wish I could understand the appeal of songs like "Buy U A Drank" but I can't, lol.

Yeah Laffy Taffy was a trendsetter no doubt.

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/08/07 at 7:35 pm

^As far as gimmicky trendsetters go, another one from early 2006 or so, might be "My Humps". I mean, "Let's Get it Started" was a good dance/hip hop song by them in '04, but it's like how could anyone take My Humps seriously? ;D

Written By: sonikuu on 09/09/07 at 4:29 am

Yeah, Rap has been going down the drain for years.  The only truly good rappers out now are non-mainstream rappers like Lupe Fiasco, Talib Kweli, and Common (okay, hes semi-mainstream because he had a song nominated at the 2005 VMAs and is performing at this year's VMAs, but hes never been a big chart topper).  All the mainstream stuff sucks.  Though I must admit that the music videos crack me up.  Watch Soulja Boy with the music turned off and its just plain funny for all the wrong reasons.  Grillz and My Humps were when rap videos became truly, truly laughable for me.

I honestly hope we get some form of "Alternative Rap" soon.  I notice that starting in 2006, some of the non-mainstream rappers I mentioned started to get some small followings at my school.  Very, very small followings, but they were existent.  And what with Jay-Z coming out of retirement to be "hip hop's savior" (as stated in his song "Kingdom Come") and with Nas making an album and single called "Hip Hop Is Dead", I think there is a certain feeling of dissatisfaction with today's rap that is starting to grow.  Similar to how Alternative Rock started to gain a following in the late 80s with stuff like REM, but was by no means a popular, mainstream form of music.  This ultimately resulted in Billboard debuting its Modern Rock Tracks (which has ALWAYS been an alternative rock chart) in 1988 and with MTV issuing a "Best Post-Modern Video Award" in 1989 that would later morph into "Best Alternative Video."  Maybe we'll see something like that, but with Rap.

At least, thats what I'd like to think will happen.

Written By: tv on 09/09/07 at 10:41 am

Yeah, Rap has been going down the drain for years.  The only truly good rappers out now are non-mainstream rappers like Lupe Fiasco, Talib Kweli, and Common (okay, hes semi-mainstream because he had a song nominated at the 2005 VMAs and is performing at this year's VMAs, but hes never been a big chart topper).   All the mainstream stuff sucks.  Though I must admit that the music videos crack me up.  Watch Soulja Boy with the music turned off and its just plain funny for all the wrong reasons.  Grillz and My Humps were when rap videos became truly, truly laughable for me.

I honestly hope we get some form of "Alternative Rap" soon.  I notice that starting in 2006, some of the non-mainstream rappers I mentioned started to get some small followings at my school.  Very, very small followings, but they were existent.  And what with Jay-Z coming out of retirement to be "hip hop's savior" (as stated in his song "Kingdom Come") and with Nas making an album and single called "Hip Hop Is Dead", I think there is a certain feeling of dissatisfaction with today's rap that is starting to grow.  Similar to how Alternative Rock started to gain a following in the late 80s with stuff like REM, but was by no means a popular, mainstream form of music.  This ultimately resulted in Billboard debuting its Modern Rock Tracks (which has ALWAYS been an alternative rock chart) in 1988 and with MTV issuing a "Best Post-Modern Video Award" in 1989 that would later morph into "Best Alternative Video."  Maybe we'll see something like that, but with Rap.

At least, thats what I'd like to think will happen.
Ah, Talib Kweli looks like he's going commercial too hate to say with that new song "Hot Thing" that he has currently just like the Black Eyed Peas did when they put Fergie into their line-up. Black Eyed Peas before Fergie were pretty non-mainstream. As a matter fact I think Will.iam from the Black Eyed produced Talib Kweli's song "Hot Thing".

I think the South ruined hip-hop except for Ludicras's latest stuff and Outkasts early material. The rap group "Arrested Development" that was popular in 1991-1992 was the first hip-hop act from the South and Arrested Development was a pretty good rap act in their won right too. There is not much good rap from the East Coast(NY) and West Coast(LA) right now like there was in the 90's and mainly in the 80's all the rappers mainly came  from NY. All the good rap that there is right now is coming from rappers that are from Chicago like Common and Kanye West. I think Lupe Fiasco is from Chicago too.

Written By: Starde on 06/30/10 at 2:48 pm

Whenever I think of late 2000s music, I always think of autotune (T-Pain) and electro-pop (Lady Gaga), to name of few. The early 00s was dominated by teen pop (was gone by 2003), Latino pop (Jennifer Lopez, Enrique Iglesias, Marc Anthony, etc.), R&B/Rap (the popularity of Murder Inc. members Ashanti and Ja Rule), and dance tracks (DJ Sammy, ATC, Alice Deejay, etc.). 2003 was mostly dominated by R&B and rap which really became huge with 50 Cent hitting the airwaves that year. Then 2004 was when Crunk emerged with Lil' Jon. I see the mid-00s (2005/2006) as when Emo music reached its peak.

Written By: sonikuu on 07/02/10 at 2:12 pm

I love how all these old threads get gravedigged up three years after the last post.  In any case, I'll bite.  I was a teen in the 00s and very into music, even if the mainstream music scene annoyed me very much at times (well, really just the Hip-Hop most of the time).

Teen Pop defines 2000 and the early part of 2001, but dies in the second half.  People like to think of 9/11 as changing the decade and while that is very, very true, the winds of pop culture change were already occurring by that point and the death of Teen Pop was one of the first casualties.  Teen Pop then promptly regained popularity in 2008 with the likes of Miley Cyrus, Jonas Brothers, and all that, but it never did regain the popularity it had in 2000 (case in point: Miley Cyrus and them never got a #1 single, something NSync and other Millennial Teen Pop singers did with regularity).

Urban Music (Hip-Hop and R&B) started to gain popularity in the second half of 2001, increased throughout 2002, and exploded into mainstream dominance in 2003 and 2004.  2005 saw the continued dominance of this genre, but less so than 2004.  2006 saw the genre drastically decrease in popularity as other forms of music, ranging from Pop-Emo to Dance-Pop gained popularity.  The second half of 2007 and the first half of 2008 saw the genre suddenly get a massive boost in popularity with Soulja Boy, 50 Cent vs Kanye, Lil' Wayne, etc.  The genre then proceeded to decline again in the second half of 2008.  Now it is still popular, but it is no longer the most popular genre and the glory days of 2003 and 2004, when often times 9 out of the top ten songs each week would be Hip-Hop and R&B, are now long gone. 

Hip-Hop saw a number of short lived sub-genres.  Crunk hit the mainstream in 2003 and lasted into 2004 before dying.  A very short-lived trend.  "Snap Rap" popped up very early in 2006 (though it can probably be dated to very late 2005) and lasted up until 2008 before decreasing in popularity and dying a merciful death.  I actually like the Rap music of today better than the Rap music of 2006-2007.  Dear god, "Laffy Taffy" and "Party Like A Rockstar" were atrociously bad.  The auto-tune trend can be dated to 2007, though it really doesn't hit it big until 2009, when it is suddenly everywhere.

Nu Metal remained a mainstream force in Rock music up until 2003, when it's popularity started to decrease.  It managed to stay relevant into 2004 before dropping off the face of the planet.  By that point however, Nu Metal had become a very vague term.  System of a Down, Slipknot, Linkin Park, etc. were all classified as "Nu Metal" despite having completely different sounds.  The term kind of lost any meaning it once had.

Pop-Punk became very popular in the early part of the decade, peaking around 2001-2003.  The genre lasted into 2004, but by that point was losing popularity to Emo.

Emo started gaining popularity in 2003, but was mainly an underground phenomenon.  The genre hit the mainstream sometime in the second half of 2004 and reached it's mainstream peak in 2005-2006, essentially replacing Pop-Punk and Nu Metal.  Indeed, many of the Goths and Skaters at my school were converted to Emo kids over the summer of 2005.  Pop-Emo (Fall Out Boy, Panic! At The Disco, etc.) also popped up during this time period and gained popularity, peaking in 2006-2007.  Both genres died out in 2008, though it still has some lingering influence on fashion.

Dance-Pop sees a sudden burst of popularity in 2006 and 2007, but kind of dies out throughout most of 2008 as Hip-Hop regains mainstream prominence.  Lady Gaga revives it in late 2008 and the genre triumphs in 2009 and 2010.

There are other genres (Indie Rock, Post-Grunge, etc.), but this is already long enough and covers most of the stereotypical 00s genres.

Written By: bchris02 on 07/02/10 at 8:16 pm

I love how all these old threads get gravedigged up three years after the last post.  In any case, I'll bite.  I was a teen in the 00s and very into music, even if the mainstream music scene annoyed me very much at times (well, really just the Hip-Hop most of the time).

Teen Pop defines 2000 and the early part of 2001, but dies in the second half.  People like to think of 9/11 as changing the decade and while that is very, very true, the winds of pop culture change were already occurring by that point and the death of Teen Pop was one of the first casualties.  Teen Pop then promptly regained popularity in 2008 with the likes of Miley Cyrus, Jonas Brothers, and all that, but it never did regain the popularity it had in 2000 (case in point: Miley Cyrus and them never got a #1 single, something NSync and other Millennial Teen Pop singers did with regularity).

Urban Music (Hip-Hop and R&B) started to gain popularity in the second half of 2001, increased throughout 2002, and exploded into mainstream dominance in 2003 and 2004.  2005 saw the continued dominance of this genre, but less so than 2004.  2006 saw the genre drastically decrease in popularity as other forms of music, ranging from Pop-Emo to Dance-Pop gained popularity.  The second half of 2007 and the first half of 2008 saw the genre suddenly get a massive boost in popularity with Soulja Boy, 50 Cent vs Kanye, Lil' Wayne, etc.  The genre then proceeded to decline again in the second half of 2008.  Now it is still popular, but it is no longer the most popular genre and the glory days of 2003 and 2004, when often times 9 out of the top ten songs each week would be Hip-Hop and R&B, are now long gone. 

Hip-Hop saw a number of short lived sub-genres.  Crunk hit the mainstream in 2003 and lasted into 2004 before dying.  A very short-lived trend.  "Snap Rap" popped up very early in 2006 (though it can probably be dated to very late 2005) and lasted up until 2008 before decreasing in popularity and dying a merciful death.  I actually like the Rap music of today better than the Rap music of 2006-2007.  Dear god, "Laffy Taffy" and "Party Like A Rockstar" were atrociously bad.  The auto-tune trend can be dated to 2007, though it really doesn't hit it big until 2009, when it is suddenly everywhere.

Nu Metal remained a mainstream force in Rock music up until 2003, when it's popularity started to decrease.  It managed to stay relevant into 2004 before dropping off the face of the planet.  By that point however, Nu Metal had become a very vague term.  System of a Down, Slipknot, Linkin Park, etc. were all classified as "Nu Metal" despite having completely different sounds.  The term kind of lost any meaning it once had.

Pop-Punk became very popular in the early part of the decade, peaking around 2001-2003.  The genre lasted into 2004, but by that point was losing popularity to Emo.

Emo started gaining popularity in 2003, but was mainly an underground phenomenon.  The genre hit the mainstream sometime in the second half of 2004 and reached it's mainstream peak in 2005-2006, essentially replacing Pop-Punk and Nu Metal.  Indeed, many of the Goths and Skaters at my school were converted to Emo kids over the summer of 2005.  Pop-Emo (Fall Out Boy, Panic! At The Disco, etc.) also popped up during this time period and gained popularity, peaking in 2006-2007.  Both genres died out in 2008, though it still has some lingering influence on fashion.

Dance-Pop sees a sudden burst of popularity in 2006 and 2007, but kind of dies out throughout most of 2008 as Hip-Hop regains mainstream prominence.  Lady Gaga revives it in late 2008 and the genre triumphs in 2009 and 2010.

There are other genres (Indie Rock, Post-Grunge, etc.), but this is already long enough and covers most of the stereotypical 00s genres.

Great analysis.  I will add two things though.  First is a correction.  Get Low actually became popular in 2003 and crunk remained fairly popular into the first half of 2006 before declining.  Second, you went into great detail about underground rock movements like Emo but mentioned nothing of Nickelback, which set the trend for mainstream rock music throughout the entire decade.  In my opinion, the over-saturation of Nickelback and the many like-sounding clones are responsible for rock's decline from mainstream charts.  You could say the same thing about hip-hop but hip-hop did one thing in the 2000s rock didn't...it changed with the times.  2000 hip-hop sounds very different from 2005 hip-hop which sounds very different from 2009 hip-hop.  Rock on the otherhand....just listen to "How You Remind Me" by Nickelback from 2001 and compare it to "No Suprise" by Daughtry in 2009 and you'll see what I am talking about.

Written By: joeman on 07/02/10 at 8:36 pm

I'd argue that Rock music hasn't really change since since 1995.  I think the grunge trend is finally dying out.

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/02/10 at 11:29 pm

I agree with most of this. Few things I would change or add:

I don't remember much about 2006, because it was kind of a dull year culturally, imo. What I do remember about '06 was that adult contemporary artists like James Blunt and Daniel Powter were popular (as much as I want to forget, that was the year that "You're Beautiful" was played 500 times a day on the radio). So what was the dance pop that rose to popularity in '06? I suppose it is Justin Timberlake, Nelly Furtado, Timbaland, and Fergie? If so, you could date that style to late 2004/2005 with Gwen Stefani and Black Eyed Peas. Timbaland's music was very popular in 2007, and I think that most of the electronic and dance pop at the time was mixed with hip-hop or hip-hop influenced. I agree with 2008 taking a break from dance music. In addition to hip-hop by Lil' Wayne and Flo-Rida, I remember '08 being a big year for Katy Perry and Coldplay (Viva la Vida). Lady Gaga is the one that brought electro-pop to mainstream. Even though she released her music in 2008, I would say early 2009 is when her songs gained airplay and up the charts, and continued into 2010. Then you have similar artists like Ke$ha. With autotune, I would date that to 2005 with the artist that set the trend, T-Pain, with his "I'm Sprung" song. Autotune did continue to gain popularity each year after that.

Written By: bchris02 on 07/03/10 at 12:06 pm

Electro-pop in its purest form, while had a few hits mid-decade, didn't get really big until late 2008.  Most of the electro-pop of the mid-00s was very hip-hop influenced.  It wasn't GaGa and Ke$ha style electropop.  In fact, thinking back in 2005 the only people who listened to that kind of music was gay people and drug addicts.  How things do change....

Written By: joeman on 07/04/10 at 6:20 am

Electro-pop in its purest form, while had a few hits mid-decade, didn't get really big until late 2008.  Most of the electro-pop of the mid-00s was very hip-hop influenced.  It wasn't GaGa and Ke$ha style electropop.  In fact, thinking back in 2005 the only people who listened to that kind of music was gay people and drug addicts.  How things do change....

I am going to admit this, that one song from Ke$ha that goes something "I woke up in the morning feeling like P-Diddy" is kind of addicting.  I dunno what it is.

Written By: Brian06 on 07/11/10 at 7:21 pm

There's no doubt in my mind as someone who followed the music scene of the decade from start to end basically that hip-hop completely dominated the decade, specifically southern hip-hop. Pop rap/nu metal/pop punk is the 2000-2003 period. When I was in high school 2001-2005 most liked hip-hop, pop punk, or nu metal.

From 2003 to mid 2008 rap was definitely king. "Snap music" looking back I see it as a crappier version of crunk now, so I'd say 2003 to 2006 for crunk.  Emo influenced the late 2000s a lot, including hip-hop and fashion. I've said that I think anything before 2006 is quite dated now, 2004 and earlier is really "back in the day" now. Even 2006 is really dated, "Lean wit it Rock wit it" could never be a hit in 2010. "Bad Romance" woulda never been a hit in 2006. The death of bling and grillz and all that is the biggest visible change.

Hip-hop in 2010 is actually quite "emo" seeming isn't it? Electropop was actually scattered throughout the decade but didn't become super popular till the end. Britney's "Toxic" from 2004 is a mid 2000s electropop song. Music seems very female oriented now in huge contrast to the much more "hardcore" mid 2000s, lots of dance-pop and sappy emoish "rap" songs 2009/2010.

The most important years in '00s music are probably 2001 and 2008. Lots of huge changes in everything in those years, 9/11, the first recession, death of boy bands in 2001. 2008 is when the bling styles died away, the huge great recession, election of Obama, 2008 is also when smartphones really started replacing the flip phones of the past for many, the "cloud" takes over physical media truly seems like a thing of the past. Sidetracking a bit.... Compare the baby internet way back in the year 2000 to 2009 when we are now always connected and social. In the year 2000 taking a video meant lugging around this thing we called a "camcorder" and proceeding to edit that video on this thing called a "VCR" and make copies on VHS tapes and literally hand the VHS tapes to family and friends (and yes I personally used to do this as a 13 year old kid), fast forward to 2010 taking a video means pulling out your iPhone proceeding to edit the movie right on the iPhone and post video straight to youtube from the iPhone. God only know what 2020's gonna be like.

Written By: Starde on 07/12/10 at 1:29 pm

There's no doubt in my mind as someone who followed the music scene of the decade from start to end basically that hip-hop completely dominated the decade, specifically southern hip-hop. Pop rap/nu metal/pop punk is the 2000-2003 period. When I was in high school 2001-2005 most liked hip-hop, pop punk, or nu metal.

From 2003 to mid 2008 rap was definitely king. "Snap music" looking back I see it as a crappier version of crunk now, so I'd say 2003 to 2006 for crunk.  Emo influenced the late 2000s a lot, including hip-hop and fashion. I've said that I think anything before 2006 is quite dated now, 2004 and earlier is really "back in the day" now. Even 2006 is really dated, "Lean wit it Rock wit it" could never be a hit in 2010. "Bad Romance" woulda never been a hit in 2006. The death of bling and grillz and all that is the biggest visible change.

Hip-hop in 2010 is actually quite "emo" seeming isn't it? Electropop was actually scattered throughout the decade but didn't become super popular till the end. Britney's "Toxic" from 2004 is a mid 2000s electropop song. Music seems very female oriented now in huge contrast to the much more "hardcore" mid 2000s, lots of dance-pop and sappy emoish "rap" songs 2009/2010.

The most important years in '00s music are probably 2001 and 2008. Lots of huge changes in everything in those years, 9/11, the first recession, death of boy bands in 2001. 2008 is when the bling styles died away, the huge great recession, election of Obama, 2008 is also when smartphones really started replacing the flip phones of the past for many, the "cloud" takes over physical media truly seems like a thing of the past. Sidetracking a bit.... Compare the baby internet way back in the year 2000 to 2009 when we are now always connected and social. In the year 2000 taking a video meant lugging around this thing we called a "camcorder" and proceeding to edit that video on this thing called a "VCR" and make copies on VHS tapes and literally hand the VHS tapes to family and friends (and yes I personally used to do this as a 13 year old kid), fast forward to 2010 taking a video means pulling out your iPhone proceeding to edit the movie right on the iPhone and post video straight to youtube from the iPhone. God only know what 2020's gonna be like.

I personally saw 2002 as the death of most boybands (and popular girl groups), but this is a great analysis!

Written By: Brian06 on 07/13/10 at 9:26 pm

The Timbaland dance pop/pussycat dolls/especially Timberlake's futuresex album was more urban kinda stuff though it was a step towards what we have today. Actually dance pop did not decline in 2008 at all, songs like "Don't Stop the Music", "Forever", "I Kissed a Girl", "Disturbia", Colby O'Donis' "What You Got", "Hot N Cold", "Paper Planes", "Dangerous", hell "Love In This Club" too very much, all pointed towards 2009 and beyond. Of course when Lady GaGa blew up at the end of 2008 that was the biggest sign.

Written By: bchris02 on 07/15/10 at 2:38 pm

The Timbaland dance pop/pussycat dolls/especially Timberlake's futuresex album was more urban kinda stuff though it was a step towards what we have today. Actually dance pop did not decline in 2008 at all, songs like "Don't Stop the Music", "Forever", "I Kissed a Girl", "Disturbia", Colby O'Donis' "What You Got", "Hot N Cold", "Paper Planes", "Dangerous", hell "Love In This Club" too very much, all pointed towards 2009 and beyond. Of course when Lady GaGa blew up at the end of 2008 that was the biggest sign.

2008 really just bridged the gap.  The first half of the year saw glam rap's last hurrah.  Electropop was still on the level it was through most of the '00s...meaning there were a few hits but it was overshadowed by glam rap and Nickelback rock.  The second half saw more dance oriented rap and electropop take center stage.  2008 was also the last year Nickelback style rock was huge.  It started to decline in 2009 and is virtually not played today. 

Written By: yelimsexa on 07/16/10 at 7:51 am

I see future generations viewing Late 2007-2008-11/12 as one big "00s/10s" transitional period, considering that we could be going from a Democrat President/Democrat congress to a Democrat President, Republican Congress to a Republican President/Republican Congress after the 2012 elections. This may also include the diminishing importance of mainstream music, as indie/underground continues to get more important. Also, I feel that this is the first "epoch" in which the CD is no longer relevant, a lot like cassettes in the mid-late '90s: still around, but fading slowly. You will see many stating how "Crank That Soulja Boy" caused glam rap to soon fade away as well.

Written By: bchris02 on 07/26/10 at 11:01 pm

I see future generations viewing Late 2007-2008-11/12 as one big "00s/10s" transitional period, considering that we could be going from a Democrat President/Democrat congress to a Democrat President, Republican Congress to a Republican President/Republican Congress after the 2012 elections. This may also include the diminishing importance of mainstream music, as indie/underground continues to get more important. Also, I feel that this is the first "epoch" in which the CD is no longer relevant, a lot like cassettes in the mid-late '90s: still around, but fading slowly. You will see many stating how "Crank That Soulja Boy" caused glam rap to soon fade away as well.

Mainstream music will never die, just the definition of what mainstream is will change.  If indie/underground artists become popular enough, they de facto become mainstream.  Its really sad to see the CD decline because that is going to have to change how artists and albums are marketed, as during the age of the CD people generally would buy entire albums while its a lot more common to buy singles on Itunes.  What we are going to see are a lot more artists that have a few hits and then disappear, rather than artists who's prime spans a decade or more like Madonna, Elton John, Nickelback, etc. 

Written By: tv on 07/27/10 at 7:19 am

Mainstream music will never die, just the definition of what mainstream is will change.  If indie/underground artists become popular enough, they de facto become mainstream.  Its really sad to see the CD decline because that is going to have to change how artists and albums are marketed, as during the age of the CD people generally would buy entire albums while its a lot more common to buy singles on Itunes.  What we are going to see are a lot more artists that have a few hits and then disappear, rather than artists who's prime spans a decade or more like Madonna, Elton John, Nickelback, etc. 
Comparing Nickleback to Elton John or Madonna, uk!

Written By: bchris02 on 07/27/10 at 8:01 am

Comparing Nickleback to Elton John or Madonna, uk!

I would say Nickelback was one of if not the most influential artists of the '00s.  Not only did they stay pretty popular for the entire decade, many other mainstream rock bands started copying their style.

Written By: sonikuu on 07/30/10 at 4:40 am

I would say Nickelback was one of if not the most influential artists of the '00s.  Not only did they stay pretty popular for the entire decade, many other mainstream rock bands started copying their style.

I always thought that Nickelback and similar bands were more popular among the adult crowd than the teen crowd.  Most of the people I knew in high school hated Nickelback and bands like them whereas I knew people in their late 20s and 30s who loved Nickelback and Hinder.  Maybe it was just my area, but the teens never liked Nickelback and a lot of the teens I met online didn't like them either.  I think they appealed more to Generation X than Generation Y, which makes sense since they're essentially Post-Grunge.

Written By: tv on 07/30/10 at 4:32 pm

I always thought that Nickelback and similar bands were more popular among the adult crowd than the teen crowd.  Most of the people I knew in high school hated Nickelback and bands like them whereas I knew people in their late 20s and 30s who loved Nickelback and Hinder.  Maybe it was just my area, but the teens never liked Nickelback and a lot of the teens I met online didn't like them either.  I think they appealed more to Generation X than Generation Y, which makes sense since they're essentially Post-Grunge.
I was born in 1979 so I am a generation Xer(although late Xerr) and I liked Nickleback at first. Their breakout hit though "This Is How You Remind Of Me' was overplayed om radio and than every other song after that sounded the same by them except for maybe  "Rockstar" and "Figured You Out". I don;t really like Nickleback except for a song or two!

Written By: joeman on 07/31/10 at 12:14 am

Its natural for men in general to hate their music.  Afterall, Nickelback songs are all about how they going to fudge their women, and all the women I know buy it!  Thing is though, it is a common clique for most bands to just that, aim for the women demographic.

Written By: tv on 08/01/10 at 6:29 pm

Its natural for men in general to hate their music.  Afterall, Nickelback songs are all about how they going to fudge their women, and all the women I know buy it!  Thing is though, it is a common clique for most bands to just that, aim for the women demographic.
To get off topic for a little bit women tend to follow pop culture alot longer than men do. My mom who is about 30 years older than me she into a little more current pop culture than I am even. I just grew out of pop culture in either mid 2005 or mid 2007. To me the real 00's died in after the 2007-2008 achool year began, thats when I stopped really being in tune with pop culture and I was like 27 then. I still do like more 00's music than people my age do judging what gets posted on here(these boards) by people.

The only 5 big things I can think of in 2008 is the following:

1.) The New York Giants beating the undefeated New England Patriots in the Super Bowl
2.) Obama Getting elected POTUS
3.) The real 00's dieing or dieing out(2003-mid 2007)
4.) The ecomomy blowing up(The Great Reccesion as I like to call it.)
5.) Gas Prices rising to 4 dollars a gallon.

Written By: joeman on 08/01/10 at 7:05 pm

To get off topic for a little bit women tend to follow pop culture alot longer than men do. My mom who is about 30 years older than me she into a little more current pop culture than I am even. I just grew out of pop culture in either mid 2005 or mid 2007. To me the real 00's died in after the 2007-2008 achool year began, thats when I stopped really being in tune with pop culture and I was like 27 then. I still do like more 00's music than people my age do judging what gets posted on here(these boards) by people.

The only 5 big things I can think of in 2008 is the following:

1.) The New York Giants beating the undefeated New England Patriots in the Super Bowl
2.) Obama Getting elected POTUS
3.) The real 00's dieing or dieing out(2003-mid 2007)
4.) The ecomomy blowing up(The Great Reccesion as I like to call it.)
5.) Gas Prices rising to 4 dollars a gallon.

I agree that the 00s really died out in 2007-2008.  I moved out of the house in 2006, and living alone was very eazy until 2008ish when gas prices, along with rent pay, went up really high.  Media was also different, as I think a lot of things got toned down so hard that mianstream music only appealled to the 9-12 year olds instead of the 13-17 year olds and sometimes the 18-24.

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 08/01/10 at 10:12 pm

For me, it wasn't until 2007-2008, that I realized the late 90's were over with. The rest of the decade felt very similar to the late 90's to me. Looking back though, I now see it was quite different from the late 90's. Not hugely different, but quite noticeably different.

Written By: Starde on 08/02/10 at 10:04 am

I agree with all of you saying that that real 00's culture started around 2003. To me, real 00's culture was from 2003/2004-2007/2008.

Written By: bchris02 on 08/02/10 at 10:16 pm

I agree with all of you saying that that real 00's culture started around 2003. To me, real 00's culture was from 2003/2004-2007/2008.

Time will tell, but I think 2010 is still late '00s culture.  Music, fashion, fads, etc are all pretty much the same now as they were in 2008.  Lady GaGa, Nickelback, the Black Eyed Peas are all still going strong, and glam rap is starting to make a bit of a comeback from its near dormant state in 2009 and the first half of '10.  Its going to be until at least 2012 before there starts to be noticeable changes, and even then, much like during the early '00s, we probably won't notice the changes until a couple years after the new culture sets in unless its some radical movement like the hippie movement in the '60s.

Written By: Starde on 08/03/10 at 11:52 am

Time will tell, but I think 2010 is still late '00s culture.  Music, fashion, fads, etc are all pretty much the same now as they were in 2008.  Lady GaGa, Nickelback, the Black Eyed Peas are all still going strong, and glam rap is starting to make a bit of a comeback from its near dormant state in 2009 and the first half of '10.  Its going to be until at least 2012 before there starts to be noticeable changes, and even then, much like during the early '00s, we probably won't notice the changes until a couple years after the new culture sets in unless its some radical movement like the hippie movement in the '60s.

I agree. Similar to how the year 2000 was still late 90's culture with the huge popularity of teen pop and such.

Written By: tv on 08/03/10 at 3:14 pm

Time will tell, but I think 2010 is still late '00s culture.  Music, fashion, fads, etc are all pretty much the same now as they were in 2008.  Lady GaGa, Nickelback, the Black Eyed Peas are all still going strong, and glam rap is starting to make a bit of a comeback from its near dormant state in 2009 and the first half of '10.  Its going to be until at least 2012 before there starts to be noticeable changes, and even then, much like during the early '00s, we probably won't notice the changes until a couple years after the new culture sets in unless its some radical movement like the hippie movement in the '60s.
What comeback of glam rap? I am just not seeing it!

Nickleback is nowhere near as popular as they were in 2005-2006 on top 40 radio. On the rock charts they are though.

Written By: Emman on 08/03/10 at 4:30 pm

I think in time pop culturally, the 2009 - 2012 time period will be looked at as the early 10's, not the late 00's(seems that was probably more late '06 to late '08). Of course there are still alot of late 00's holdovers in 2010(emo fashion), but 2010 is pretty different from say 2005, I could not imagine 50 cent, ying yang twins, crunk, sagging jeans, bling and the other trends from 2005 being popular this year. In late '08, Electro-dance music became the dominate genre of music with the help of Lady Gaga, a lot of changes happened in late '08. I think what's next is a more pure dance music genre instead of electropop, maybe dubstep, and indie music. In fact, I think the 2010's might be the "electronica decade" the same way the 00's were the "hip hop decade". I remember in the late 90's the hype surrounding the rise of electronica, but by 1999, it seemed that was ruined by teenpop and increasing urban music. In the late 00's, electronica came rising again(although quite different in style and sound from the 90's version, more synthy). I think this might be the true takeover of electronica/dance music, but I think the "electropop/autotune" style of it will become dated very quickly, maybe even by late 2011. I really think 2009 was the very beginning of the 10's pop culture, I just think electropop will give way to another dance music genre(like disco and punk strongly influencing the new wave/synthpop sound of the 80's).

Written By: Emman on 08/03/10 at 5:04 pm

Nickleback is nowhere near as popular as they were in 2005-2006 on top 40 radio. On the rock charts they are though.

I agree, hip hop in 2010 is actually quite emo/indie influenced(especially the fashion), almost the opposite of the crunk era hip hop.

And post-grunge is FINALLY dead.  ;D

Is it me or does fashion seem to be one of the last trends to change over from one decade to the next, like alot of late 80's fashions lasted until like 1993, some even late as 1995!
Music wise, it is different for rock, pop, dance, and hip hop, for instance, dance music was pretty much 90's style in 1988(house music/raver) but mainstream rock was still 80's hair metal style in 1990/1991 even though grunge was getting started in the underground. It will be interesting to see how the rest of the 10's turn out.

Written By: bchris02 on 08/03/10 at 5:58 pm

Artists like Dorrough, Plies, Lil' Jon, Roscoe Dash, etc are getting more airplay now than they did in 2009 and the first half of 2010.  Maybe its just my area, but it seems like its on the rise again.  Nowhere near dominating like it did in 2005 but moreso than earlier this year.  Dance pop/electronica in my opinion will be a passing fad much like teen pop was in the early '00s.  Dance music had a previous run in the mid '90s but that died out by 1998 in favor of teen pop and urban pop.  Music is influenced by popular culture and in my opinion as the recession drags on, darker hip hop and rock will take over.  Nonetheless, I hope emo dies out soon.  I think it will once Generation Y gets out of college and gets a real taste of reality. 

Written By: Brian06 on 08/03/10 at 6:30 pm

Artists like Dorrough, Plies, Lil' Jon, Roscoe Dash, etc are getting more airplay now than they did in 2009 and the first half of 2010.  Maybe its just my area, but it seems like its on the rise again.  Nowhere near dominating like it did in 2005 but moreso than earlier this year.  Dance pop/electronica in my opinion will be a passing fad much like teen pop was in the early '00s.  Dance music had a previous run in the mid '90s but that died out by 1998 in favor of teen pop and urban pop.  Music is influenced by popular culture and in my opinion as the recession drags on, darker hip hop and rock will take over.  Nonetheless, I hope emo dies out soon.  I think it will once Generation Y gets out of college and gets a real taste of reality. 

Dorrough's biggest hit "Ice Cream Paint Job" was in late 2009 as far as I know. Plies is still hanging around though he's nowhere near as relevant now as he was back in 2007-2008 with "Shawty", "Hypnotized", "Bust It Baby" those were pretty huge. Lil Jon I don't really hear anymore though I sampled a few of the new songs and it sounds like he's gone more electro now with 3oh3. Roscoe Dash had his terrible moderate hit earlier this year. Soulja Boy is still doing ok with the also terrible "Pretty Boy Swag". Drake is probably still the hottest name in hip-hop atm and was in 2009 too, he might be somewhat overrated but he's like a million times better than any of the guys mentioned above.

Written By: tv on 08/03/10 at 6:37 pm

"Roscoe Dash" I heard of him in a hip-hop magazine that I was reading in a bookstore a couple months ago I think. Never heard of "Dorrough" though. "Piles" has been popular for the past few years though. "Lil Jon" is kinda 2004 ish to me though.

Written By: tv on 08/03/10 at 6:40 pm

I agree, hip hop in 2010 is actually quite emo/indie influenced(especially the fashion), almost the opposite of the crunk era hip hop.

And post-grunge is FINALLY dead.  ;D

Is it me or does fashion seem to be one of the last trends to change over from one decade to the next, like alot of late 80's fashions lasted until like 1993, some even late as 1995!
Music wise, it is different for rock, pop, dance, and hip hop, for instance, dance music was pretty much 90's style in 1988(house music/raver) but mainstream rock was still 80's hair metal style in 1990/1991 even though grunge was getting started in the underground. It will be interesting to see how the rest of the 10's turn out.
Well a group like "Soul to Soul" was around in 1989 but not 1988. I still like "Back to Life" though, its a good song! There was still Latin/Freestyle in 1988-1989 that was popular like "Gloria Estefan and The Miami Sound Machine", "Stevie B", and "The Cover Girls".

Written By: Emman on 08/03/10 at 6:54 pm

I was thinking about the possibility of a backlash against all the excessive electropop/autotune and some of mainstream music getting back to a more "organic sound". But just because the world economy is in a terrible state does not mean music will always reflect that. Look at most of the 90's in terms of general ethos in music, rock(grunge) and hip hop music(gangsta rap) were very dark and cynical, but the US economy was booming and most people were looking forward to the future(there was bling rap and teenpop though at the end). Now look at the late 70's, upbeat disco was all the rage but the economy during that time was  :\'(, most of the time though it is dark and upbeat music that is popular at the same time, there are many different kinds of genres and styles and they don't all follow the same mood . Emo music itself is not really popular any more but the fashion just seems to drag on, personally, I think it is all just disgusting 8-P. Electropop it self is probably a passing fad but the entire electronica genre, no. Electropop does not equal all of electronic music(house, techno, electro, ambient, trip hop, glitch), electronic music has been around since the late 60's and it will continue. The reason I think dubstep might be more popular is because it is already popular in clubs across the UK and US although underground now, but alot of pop artist have noticed this trend and will jump on it next(looking at you Rihanna, Snoop Dogg). Britney Spears is suposely working with dubstep producer Rusko(already worked on M.I.A's new album) on her next album in 2011. Dubstep has been long in the making(it is VERY repetitive, has a wooble synth bass sound, urban sounding). Doesn't most mainstream music genres start out underground then break into the mainstream(grunge, emo). And I think music overall will be more "personalized" during the 10's too, although there will still be a mainstream culture.

Written By: Emman on 08/03/10 at 8:05 pm

Further thinking about it, some people will probably view 2008 to 2011/12 as one era, maybe this is a transitional period, strangely both 00's and 10's. You are right in that all the trends today started in 2008. One thing I expect is more modesty in the culture as the years go by, there is no doubt that this recession will change culture. I also agree that 2012 will probably be changeful year, but don't you think it will start the changes for the mid 10's culture. I mean when I think of the "early 90's" I usually think of parachute pants, high top fades, MC Hammer, George Bush Sr. and house music(especially Technotronic) but these trends started in the late 80's, trends just don't pop out of now where, they take time to develop. In 1992 some of the trends that defined the mid 90's began to emerge, same thing with 1996 and the late 90's. I think in the future, when people think of the "early 10's culture, they'll think of Lady Gaga, Obama, electro-dance, and the trends that emerged in 2008/2009, when they think of the late 00's, they will probably think of snap/ringtone rap, Soulja Boy, autotune, emo and some of the other trends that emerged in 2006. What I'm saying is that the early part of one decade will be similar to the preceding decade but there will still be differences you can tell apart.

Written By: JTCool on 08/03/10 at 9:58 pm

I'm not saying I'd be completely happy about it, but I think by the end of this decade rock music will become extremley popular like it was in the early 1990s with grunge. I doubt grunge will ever fully become popular like it was back then but rock music has really died down in the last few years, which to me is fine. It's kind of interesting to see how each genre of music rises and falls and then comes back again.

Written By: Emman on 08/03/10 at 10:30 pm

I'm not saying I'd be completely happy about it, but I think by the end of this decade rock music will become extremley popular like it was in the early 1990s with grunge. I doubt grunge will ever fully become popular like it was back then but rock music has really died down in the last few years, which to me is fine. It's kind of interesting to see how each genre of music rises and falls and then comes back again.

If I had to say, it would probably be some form of heavy metal music to contrast against the whiny emo music of the 00's. I think popular music in the 2010s will have at least SOME influences from the 90's.
In the 70's, styles like glam rock were influenced by the 50's rock n roll sound, 60's style folk rock got revived as "jangle pop" in the 80's, lots of alternative rock bands in the 90's looked to punk(looking at you Green Day) , and the 00's got a taste of new wave/post punk with bands The Killers. Just think, in 15 to 20 years time, the kids will be trying to bring back emo  :D

Written By: joeman on 08/03/10 at 10:45 pm

If I had to say, it would probably be some form of heavy metal music to contrast against the whiny emo music of the 00's. I think popular music in the 2010s will have at least SOME influences from the 90's.
In the 70's, styles like glam rock were influenced by the 50's rock n roll sound, 60's style folk rock got revived as "jangle pop" in the 80's, lots of alternative rock bands in the 90's looked to punk(looking at you Green Day) , and the 00's got a taste of new wave/post punk with bands The Killers. Just think, in 15 to 20 years time, the kids will be trying to bring back emo  :D

This won't happen until 2020+ish or so once the main consumers of Emo music and fashion are in their 30s.

Written By: Emman on 08/04/10 at 1:57 pm

Well a group like "Soul to Soul" was around in 1989 but not 1988. I still like "Back to Life" though, its a good song! There was still Latin/Freestyle in 1988-1989 that was popular like "Gloria Estefan and The Miami Sound Machine", "Stevie B", and "The Cover Girls".

Yeah Freestlye was very popular during that period, so was the Jody Watley style dancepop which all scream late 80's, but the acid house/ early rave music that is so associated with the 90's was getting popular too. Alot of people seem to associate the 90's with grunge but it was only in vogue from 91 to 94, it is NOT the whole story. R&B was technical the most popular genre of the 90's and dance music was regularly played on top 40 radio for the entire decade plus the early 00's. I personally think eurodance is a very 90's genre, some form if it was popular from 1990 through 1999. Now that sound is kind of coming back with Lady Gaga and such, like her new song sounds very euro/ Ace of Base style, these are the first signs of 90's nostalgia in current music.

Written By: sonikuu on 08/04/10 at 4:18 pm

I think of Dance music in general as being like the New Jack Swing (Bobby Brown, Rhythm Nation-era Janet Jackson) and Old School Rap (DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince, MC Hammer, etc.)  trends of the late 80s/early 90s.  Those two trends started to rise in popularity through 1988, got enormously popular in 1989 and 1990, starting declining yet still remaining popular in 1991, dying down in 1992, and disappearing completely by 1993.  I think the Dance trend will follow a similar path: rising in popularity through 2008, exploding in 2009 and 2010, remaining popular in 2011 but starting to decline, in full decline in 2012, and completely disappearing by 2013.   

This era is definitely musically different from the mid-00s though.  "Glam Rap" still has some mainstream popularity, but it's much less so than it used to be.  Just look at the music charts now compared to 2003 or 2004, when you could look at almost any week and have 8 out of the top ten songs be Hip-Hop or R&B.  Emo is dead, I don't know why some people here think it's still alive.  Some of the influence on fashion remains somewhat (see: Adam Lambert), but the style itself hasn't been popular since 2008.  Even Pop-Emo has declined with only a few bands like All-American Rejects (who originally were more Pop-Punk) and Paramore (no doubt boosted by their inclusion on the Twilight soundtrack) while the most prominent example, Fall Out Boy, hasn't had a mainstream hit since 2007.  Mainstream Rock has actually gotten more dull since the mid-00s in my opinion.  At least Emo was new, now there's absolutely nothing new going on and the few decent bands in the mainstream (like Muse) are past their peak in terms of quality. 

The 2010s will start to really form their "defining" musical trends in late 2011.  The second half of the second year of the decade is usually when the defining trends of new decade start to emerge while the trends of the later part of the previous decade start to disappear.

1981: MTV debuts
1991: Nirvana brings Grunge and Alternative Rock to the mainstream, Garth Brooks popularizes Country music (a big but in many ways unmentioned 90s trend)
2001: Teen Pop dies and more Urban style music starts to rise in popularity, though it isn't yet totally dominant.
2011: ?

Written By: Emman on 08/04/10 at 4:35 pm

I think of Dance music in general as being like the New Jack Swing (Bobby Brown, Rhythm Nation-era Janet Jackson) and Old School Rap (DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince, MC Hammer, etc.)  trends of the late 80s/early 90s.  Those two trends started to rise in popularity through 1988, got enormously popular in 1989 and 1990, starting declining yet still remaining popular in 1991, dying down in 1992, and disappearing completely by 1993.  I think the Dance trend will follow a similar path: rising in popularity through 2008, exploding in 2009 and 2010, remaining popular in 2011 but starting to decline, in full decline in 2012, and completely disappearing by 2013. 

This era is definitely musically different from the mid-00s though.  "Glam Rap" still has some mainstream popularity, but it's much less so than it used to be.  Just look at the music charts now compared to 2003 or 2004, when you could look at almost any week and have 8 out of the top ten songs be Hip-Hop or R&B.  Emo is dead, I don't know why some people here think it's still alive.  Some of the influence on fashion remains somewhat (see: Adam Lambert), but the style itself hasn't been popular since 2008.  Even Pop-Emo has declined with only a few bands like All-American Rejects (who originally were more Pop-Punk) and Paramore (no doubt boosted by their inclusion on the Twilight soundtrack) while the most prominent example, Fall Out Boy, hasn't had a mainstream hit since 2007.  Mainstream Rock has actually gotten more dull since the mid-00s in my opinion.  At least Emo was new, now there's absolutely nothing new going on and the few decent bands in the mainstream (like Muse) are past their peak in terms of quality. 

The 2010s will start to really form their "defining" musical trends in late 2011.  The second half of the second year of the decade is usually when the defining trends of new decade start to emerge while the trends of the later part of the previous decade start to disappear.

1981: MTV debuts
1991: Nirvana brings Grunge and Alternative Rock to the mainstream, Garth Brooks popularizes Country music (a big but in many ways unmentioned 90s trend)
2001: Teen Pop dies and more Urban style music starts to rise in popularity, though it isn't yet totally dominant.
2011: ?

What do you think will be some of the trends that will define the mid/late 10's, we should have at least some sign of it, trends just don't pop out of nowhere(and new jack swing lasted longer than that, I remember that style lasting all the way to around 1995 in some form. I do think electropop style music will decline maybe in 2012. We are probably in a weird "inbetween period" right now(much like 1988-1993 and 1997-2001). I wonder what they will call the new style or genre, smudge rock? ;D. I think dubstep might be next for the US, still too early to tell though.(and remember, if smudge becomes popular you heard it first from me, okay......okay). I'm almost positive some type of indie music will be popular.

Written By: sonikuu on 08/04/10 at 5:21 pm

What do you think will be some of the trends that will define the mid/late 10's, we should have at least some sign of it, trends just don't pop out of nowhere(and new jack swing lasted longer than that, I remember that style lasting all the way to around 1995 in some form. I do think electropop style music will decline maybe in 2012. We are probably in a weird "inbetween period" right now(much like 1988-1993 and 1997-2001). I wonder what they will call the new style or genre, smudge rock? ;D. I think dubstep might be next for the US, still too early to tell though.(and remember, if smudge becomes popular you heard it first from me, okay......okay). I'm almost positive some type of indie music will be popular.

That's a very hard one, to predict the future.  You are right though, trends don't just pop up out of nowhere.  Alternative Rock, for example, was already becoming popular even before Nirvana hit, though it was in a different form (REM, Faith No More, stuff like that.  The first "Best Alternative" award at the Grammys was awarded in 1991 to Sinhead O'Connor several months before Nirvana's breakthrough).  Gangsta Rap had also already been in existence for a couple years before it finally hit the mainstream.  While MC Hammer was talking about people not touching him, NWA was raging against the police.  New Wave, a big 80s music trend, actually started in the late 70s although in a very different form.  The Knack is considered an early example of New Wave, yet is completely different from A Flock of Seagulls, who are also considered New Wave.  Hair Metal's roots can be traced back to Van Halen, who debuted in 1978 and provided the template for LA rock bands singing about girls and parties. 

Personally, I think it's very hard to predict.  I do think a form of Indie Rock could become popular, as that was a trend that was prominent in the late 00s (Arcade Fire got a #2 album despite having almost no radio airplay) but wasn't quite mainstream.  Same goes for an alternative form of Rap, which is present in rappers such as Lupe Fiasco, B.O.B. and even Eminem's recent comeback.  Dance music in it's current form will die off, but there is the possibility of a Disco like scenario.  Disco was considered to be way uncool in the 80s, but it actually influenced some 80s Pop a lot (Michael Jackson's song "Thriller" would not be out of place in a Disco circa 1978).  I could see the same popular happening with the current trend of Electro Pop-style music: dying off and considered to be uncool despite some pop music in the mid-2010s having more than a few similarities.

Then again, the next trend could be totally out of left field.  Grunge is in many ways the definitive Alternative Rock style of the 90s and while it started in the late 80s, it wasn't the most popular style of Alternative Rock at the time (then typified more by REM, The Pixies, Sonic Youth, and groups like that).

Written By: Emman on 08/04/10 at 11:19 pm

Here's an article documenting "the rise of Dubstep", it is underground now, but from the tone of this article, it looks like we might be hearing it alot around 2011/2012. The genre has been popular in the UK clubs for a while now but has not crossed over to US mainstream music yet.

http://mog.com/MOG_Features/blog/2102078

Written By: 2015 on 08/04/10 at 11:45 pm

Emo - 2002-2009, more or less. it's still around kind of, but not really that relevant.

Written By: Emman on 08/04/10 at 11:53 pm

Reggaeton is probably one of the shortest lived genres ever to be popular in the US during the 00's, it was popular in 2005 but by 2007 people seemed like they forgot about it.
I think Emo music's mainstream popularity was like 2004 -2008, but I think the emo fashion will linger for awhile, heck, it might last for another few years. Everybody, brace yourself!!!!!

Written By: 2015 on 08/04/10 at 11:54 pm

^yes. 2010 has what I would call an emo fashion and something of an emo vibe, like the way people act, and so on, but emo bands like Panic! at the Disco and My Chemical Romance are no longer very popular.

Written By: tv on 08/05/10 at 5:53 pm

Reggaeton is probably one of the shortest lived genres ever to be popular in the US during the 00's, it was popular in 2005 but by 2007 people seemed like they forgot about it.
I think Emo music's mainstream popularity was like 2004 -2008, but I think the emo fashion will linger for awhile, heck, it might last for another few years. Everybody, brace yourself!!!!!
I thought Reggaeton was popular starting in 2003 with "Sean Paul" and "Wayne Wonder". Yeah I remember even a rapper like "Foxy Brown" jumped on too the Raggaeton bandwagon in mid 2005 with a song: that song went nowhere for her.

Written By: Starde on 08/06/10 at 4:06 am

I thought Reggaeton was popular starting in 2003 with "Sean Paul" and "Wayne Wonder". Yeah I remember even a rapper like "Foxy Brown" jumped on too the Raggaeton bandwagon in mid 2005 with a song: that song went nowhere for her.

Yeah, Reggaeton was mostly popular during the mid 00's (2003-06) with Sean Paul having a couple of hits during that period.

Written By: Brian06 on 08/06/10 at 6:07 am

Was this reggaeton too?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaQeNabobiE

I remember Wayne Wonder too.

Written By: Emman on 08/06/10 at 10:24 am

The thing I notice is just how popular dance music has become, artist from many different genres are doing it. The only other era that can compete with the Obama era in terms of dance music being dominate in the US would be the late 70's disco era. Dance music rarely is this popular in the US, it is very popualr in Europe though

Written By: tv on 08/06/10 at 4:51 pm

The thing I notice is just how popular dance music has become, artist from many different genres are doing it. The only other era that can compete with the Obama era in terms of dance music being dominate in the US would be the late 70's disco era. Dance music rarely is this popular in the US, it is very popualr in Europe though
Yeah I was thinking about that a couple months ago how maybe alike the US and UK music scenes are now. In 2006 they were not very much alike(the UK and US music scenes.) Dance music did have popularity though like 1990-1996 in the US but not like now. I mean dance music never influemced other music genres in that period(1990-1996) like it does now.

Written By: Brian06 on 08/25/10 at 3:00 am

I definitely think hip-hop was solidly the number 1 genre from 2002 to 2008. I actually think hip-hop is less popular atm than it was for most of the '90s, I don't count electro pseudo-urban stuff as hip-hop at all, Jason DeRulo, Jay Sean, Taio Cruz are as hip-hop as Britney Spears is. I think in 2006 it started losing it's edge and merged more with other genres. On the other hand mainstream music is maybe more one sided than ever, when essentially most all popular songs sound along the lines of Ke$ha. At least in 2004 you could actually hear a rock or like an r&b slow jam song on a pop station, crazy as it sounds. I remember back in 2004 you could hear something like the Ying Yang Twins and Chingy constantly on top 40 radios, today both would most likely confined to urban radio. Hip-hop will probably remain pretty popular but it will continue to get further and further disconnected with its roots, though you will still be able to hear real hip-hop on urban radio. So basically today's music is definitely catchier, more danceable, poppier, etc. than it was for the last several years but it's also very tacky and is gonna date badly. Think about how cheesy and dated Katy Perry is gonna seem in 10 years? I still like her though.  ;D "Hot N Cold" is a sugary bubblegum masterpiece, it was a great song to put a smile on my face to make it through what were the toughest months of the decade since September 11 (Fall '08).  :)

Written By: tv on 08/29/10 at 3:08 pm

I definitely think hip-hop was solidly the number 1 genre from 2002 to 2008. I actually think hip-hop is less popular atm than it was for most of the '90s, I don't count electro pseudo-urban stuff as hip-hop at all, Jason DeRulo, Jay Sean, Taio Cruz are as hip-hop as Britney Spears is. I think in 2006 it started losing it's edge and merged more with other genres. On the other hand mainstream music is maybe more one sided than ever, when essentially most all popular songs sound along the lines of Ke$ha. At least in 2004 you could actually hear a rock or like an r&b slow jam song on a pop station, crazy as it sounds. I remember back in 2004 you could hear something like the Ying Yang Twins and Chingy constantly on top 40 radios, today both would most likely confined to urban radio. Hip-hop will probably remain pretty popular but it will continue to get further and further disconnected with its roots, though you will still be able to hear real hip-hop on urban radio. So basically today's music is definitely catchier, more danceable, poppier, etc. than it was for the last several years but it's also very tacky and is gonna date badly. Think about how cheesy and dated Katy Perry is gonna seem in 10 years? I still like her though.  ;D "Hot N Cold" is a sugary bubblegum masterpiece, it was a great song to put a smile on my face to make it through what were the toughest months of the decade since September 11 (Fall '08).  :)
Yeah thats true hip-hop was more popular in the 90's(1993-1998) than it is now. I remember when Pop-rap was big in 1990-1991 like Marky Mark, MC Hammer, and Vanilla Ice.

I remember in 2004 you could hear a song by "The Killers", "Switchfoot" or "Hoobastank" alongside a song by Usher.

Katy Perry's songs like "Hot N' Cold" and "I Kissed a A Girl" were catchy but  "California" Gurls" and "Teenage Dream" sound too processed to me though.

Written By: bchris02 on 09/04/10 at 7:45 pm

Yeah thats true hip-hop was more popular in the 90's(1993-1998) than it is now. I remember when Pop-rap was big in 1990-1991 like Marky Mark, MC Hammer, and Vanilla Ice.

I remember in 2004 you could hear a song by "The Killers", "Switchfoot" or "Hoobastank" alongside a song by Usher.

Katy Perry's songs like "Hot N' Cold" and "I Kissed a A Girl" were catchy but  "California" Gurls" and "Teenage Dream" sound too processed to me though.

Agree.  I liked Katy Perry in 2008 but am not big on her now.  It seems like she is now trying to appeal more to the tastes Generation Z (the generation effectuated with Justin Bieber, Miley Cyrus, and the Jonas Brothers) rather than Generation Y as she did with her first album.

Check for new replies or respond here...