inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Tube strike travel chaos expected in London

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/03/07 at 6:19 am

From BBC News Online:

Tube passengers are braced for travel chaos this week after unions confirmed a 72-hour strike by maintenance workers would start on Monday.

The Rail Maritime and Transport (RMT) union said more than 2,300 members would walk out at 1800 BST.

The action was called in response to fears of job losses after the collapse of maintenance firm Metronet.

A Transport for London (TfL) spokesperson said it was still hopeful the strike would not go ahead.

Howard Collins, of London Underground, warned that if the strike went ahead, services on the Bakerloo, Central and Victoria lines would start being reduced from about 1630 BST.

But he assured customers that the Jubilee, Northern and Piccadilly lines would be running.

The RMT and two other Tube unions want guarantees there will be no job losses, forced transfers or cuts in pensions as a result of Metronet's collapse in July when it went into administration.

Read more here.

Subject: Re: Tube strike travel chaos expected in London

Written By: Paul on 09/03/07 at 7:05 am

I don't really give a stuff, as I don't use the Tube...

(...in fact, anyone in their right mind would avoid the thing!)

Sadly, if it all goes ahead, it's gonna be murder on the buses...so it's every man for himself!

(Hm...wish my pension could be 'fully protected'!  ::))

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/03/07 at 7:11 am

Personally, I was planning to use the tube on Wednesday and Thursday, Now I consider staying at home.

Written By: Paul on 09/03/07 at 7:15 am

Personally, I was planning to use the tube on Wednesday and Thursday, Now I consider staying at home.

You'd be well advised to, Mr. Philip...

(...unless, of course, you have a 'thing' for putting yourself through torture!)

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/03/07 at 7:33 am

You'd be well advised to, Mr. Philip...

(...unless, of course, you have a 'thing' for putting yourself through torture!)
I could the same journey using about four different buses...

...I'll stay at home.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/03/07 at 10:21 am

Now that the strike is beginning to set in with the trains winding up at the depots, there is bigger news set for next week. There will be another 72 hour strike starting on Monday next.

Written By: whistledog on 09/03/07 at 10:47 am

The Tube is like regularly used by many on a daily basis.  I wonder could there be rioting?

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/03/07 at 10:55 am

The Tube is like regularly used by many on a daily basis.  I wonder could there be rioting?
I am listening to a local talk radio station, and the callers of the London public are fuming.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 09/03/07 at 1:00 pm

We need to get the Tubeway General on this.

Written By: Paul on 09/03/07 at 6:00 pm

'Rioting' is just not a British thing...

'Whingeing' and 'moaning' yes...but not 'rioting'!

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/04/07 at 2:07 am

I am amazed at the fact that when some of the commuters were interviewed at the Tube Stations, they did not known anything about this strike. I knew two weeks ago.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/04/07 at 3:32 am

It is estimated that it would cost London's ecomony £50m per day during this Tube Strike.

Written By: danootaandme on 09/04/07 at 4:37 am

I am amazed at the fact that when some of the commuters were interviewed at the Tube Stations, they did not known anything about this strike. I knew two weeks ago.

That is the way of the world.  Most people know about some celebrities complexion problems than they know about anything that is really important to their lives.

They have had that in the news over here.  They said over here that it will only last for 3 days, then the workers will return to see if an agreement can be made.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/04/07 at 5:17 am

You just have to laugh.

While I was out just now, I passed on foot what would nromally be a very busy Tube Station in London. There was a member of staff in his blue uniform outside the station smoking a cigarette, because smoking is not allowed in the workspace now. While this member of staff was outside, he was continually asked questions by the public and probably received abused too. A fatal error on his part.

Written By: Paul on 09/04/07 at 6:57 am

Well, the odds getting on a bus this morning were less than a snowball's chance in hell...

...so, best foot forward!

Actually, it wasn't a bad walk, what with a very nice morning (weather-wise) for a change!

I probably made it in quicker than some poor saps that were crammed on the buses...

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/04/07 at 7:07 am

Now what is is fuss all about. When I was out walking this morning, the buses that I saw were empty of passengers.

Written By: Tia on 09/04/07 at 7:27 am

dag, it's gonna be like 28 days later there by wednesday.

my dad works for the underground, i guess he's more like a Big Boss, hope this doesn't hurt his job.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 09/04/07 at 12:30 pm

I know a gal who lives on the hill
She won't do it but her sister will, when she boogie
She do the tube strike boogie.

Written By: ladybug316 on 09/04/07 at 1:19 pm

'Rioting' is just not a British thing...

'Whingeing' and 'moaning' yes...but not 'rioting'!
Right.  Save the rioting for us New Yorkers who are bracing ourselves for a taxicab strike.  :-\\    We had an MTA strike a couple of years back that was awful.  The city sued the union because of it.  What a mess! 

Let's hope all is resolved quickly on both sides of the pond.

Written By: Marian on 09/04/07 at 2:49 pm

hate to think about how regulars would protest

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/05/07 at 1:28 am

Severe delays are being predicted on the London Underground despite a three-day Tube strike being halted.
More than 2,000 members of the Rail, Maritime & Transport union (RMT) had walked out in a dispute linked to the collapse of maintenance giant Metronet.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/05/07 at 4:53 am

The line situation in London as the train system tries to get back to usual, if the state of usual has ever been reach:

Bakerloo Minor delays
Central Minor delays
Circle Suspended
District Suspended
East London Suspended
Hammersmith & City Suspended
Jubilee Minor delays Metropolitan Suspended
Northern Good service
Piccadilly Good service
Victoria Good service
Waterloo & City Good service

Check for new replies or respond here...