inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: US adventurer Steve Fossett is missing and wreckage now found

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/05/07 at 2:22 am

From BBC News Online:

An extensive search has been launched for record-breaking US adventurer Steve Fossett, who went missing in his airplane in the Nevada desert.

Mr Fossett was reportedly last seen taking off from the private airfield at the Flying M Ranch near Yerington, Nevada, on Monday evening.

He was flying a blue and white single-engine Citabria plane.

A Civil Air Patrol spokeswoman, Major Cynthia Ryan, said 13 planes were searching for the 63-year-old.

The authorities were alerted when Mr Fossett's family reported him missing after he failed to return from a trip which should have lasted just a few hours.

Maj Ryan said conditions for Mr Fossett's flight had been "optimal", with calm to light winds.

Read more here.

Subject: Re: US adventurer Steve Fossett is missing

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/06/07 at 5:44 am

I wonder how Farrah Fossett is holding up thru all of this.  News reports have not mentioned her.  :-\\

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/06/07 at 5:29 pm

Such as the life of adventurers through the ages.  Sometimes they disappear.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 09/06/07 at 9:32 pm

Hope that he is found alive, and okay.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/09/07 at 6:13 am

From LOS ANGELES (AFP):

The search for missing adventurer Steve Fossett entered a sixth day on Saturday with searchers still no closer to unraveling the mystery of the millionaire aviator's fate.

A first wave of aircraft took off from Minden Air Base in northwestern Nevada around 8:00 am (1500 GMT).

Later Saturday a total of 45 planes and helicopters, including around a dozen of volunteer pilots in private aircraft, were patrolling the region, rescue officials said.

"Anything reasonable that we can add is probably going to make a difference, but we won't know that until we find our target," Civil Air Patrol Major Cynthia Ryan told reporters on Saturday.

Written By: whistledog on 09/09/07 at 10:43 pm

I wonder how Farrah Fossett is holding up thru all of this.  News reports have not mentioned her.   :-\\

LOL

When I first heard the news on this guy, I thought they meant Steve Forbert.  I was like "Man, that guy has been missing since 'Romeo's Tune' fell off the charts in the early 80s"

:D

All seriousness though, I do hope they find Mr. Fossett alive

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/17/08 at 6:06 am

Adventurer Fossett declared dead

Missing millionaire adventurer Steve Fossett has been declared legally dead five months after the airplane he was flying disappeared over the Nevada desert.
His wife, Peggy Fossett, had asked Cook County Circuit Court in Chicago to make the declaration. Her petition for a judicial finding of the 63-year-old's death said investigators had concluded that Fossett's airplane was destroyed in a fatal accident.

Judge Jeffrey Malak, of the circuit court, said in his ruling: "I believe the evidence is more than sufficient." Court records said Fossett's estate was "vast" and worth more than eight figures – or multiple millions of dollars.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/19/08 at 9:34 pm

Adventurer Fossett declared dead

Missing millionaire adventurer Steve Fossett has been declared legally dead five months after the airplane he was flying disappeared over the Nevada desert.
His wife, Peggy Fossett, had asked Cook County Circuit Court in Chicago to make the declaration. Her petition for a judicial finding of the 63-year-old's death said investigators had concluded that Fossett's airplane was destroyed in a fatal accident.

Judge Jeffrey Malak, of the circuit court, said in his ruling: "I believe the evidence is more than sufficient." Court records said Fossett's estate was "vast" and worth more than eight figures – or multiple millions of dollars.

Nah, he's competing with Ron Obvious of Neaps End for the longest time not being seen!
:-\\

Written By: Max Power on 02/21/08 at 3:19 pm

He may became a legend due to his record and his mysterious disappearance.

Written By: saver on 02/21/08 at 4:52 pm

THIS JUST IN:

Steve Fossett is STILL missing.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/02/08 at 2:05 am

Teams searching for missing adventurer Steve Fossett have spotted what looks like the wreckage of a plane in eastern California, local police say.

Written By: greenjello74 on 10/02/08 at 11:28 am

Teams searching for missing adventurer Steve Fossett have spotted what looks like the wreckage of a plane in eastern California, local police say.

Looks like they finally found at least the wreckage. I doubt if they will find anything other than skeletal remains with all the animals up here and it has been over a year. It was fun watching him break various records and such. I guess it comes with the territory when you are an adventurer.

Subject: Re: US adventurer Steve Fossett is missing and wreckage now found

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/02/08 at 11:32 am

Looks like they finally found at least the wreckage. I doubt if they will find anything other than skeletal remains with all the animals up here and it has been over a year. It was fun watching him break various records and such. I guess it comes with the territory when you are an adventurer.
A number plate confirmed the plane as the Bellanca Super Decathlon owned by the 63-year-old millionaire. So, if he had survived the plane crash or landing, you say (if injured) he does not stand a chance in survival, but he may still survived and walk away. So he or his corpse could be anyway.

Written By: greenjello74 on 10/02/08 at 11:48 am

A number plate confirmed the plane as the Bellanca Super Decathlon owned by the 63-year-old millionaire. So, if he had survived the plane crash or landing, you say (if injured) he does not stand a chance in survival, but he may still survived and walk away. So he or his corpse could be anyway.

That could entirely true, but if he survived why didn't he show up alive sooner maybe he is hiding from something or someone? If he managed to get a distance from thr wreckage his remains would could be fa away or stahed in a cave by some animal. There are so many what ifs. It will be interesting to see this play out. If we ever do find the answers.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/02/08 at 11:49 am

That could entirely true, but if he survived why didn't he show up alive sooner maybe he is hiding from something or someone? If he managed to get a distance from thr wreckage his remains would could be fa away or stahed in a cave by some animal. There are so many what ifs. It will be interesting to see this play out. If we ever do find the answers.
I have not seen the reports on tv yet, is there an intensive search for any reamins?

Written By: Dagwood on 10/02/08 at 5:58 pm

They are saying the remains were probably eaten by wild animals.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/02/08 at 6:21 pm

Some one must have called a plumber 'cos that Fossett is screwed!

:-\\

Written By: Bobo on 10/02/08 at 6:24 pm

Latest reports - and this is phrased rather gruesomely, I realize.. is that they have "found body parts" amongst the wreckage.

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/02/08 at 6:47 pm

Until they find conclusive evidence that Fawcett is dead, they need to press on as a rescue operation.  He could be holed up in a cave awaiting a rescue.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/02/08 at 6:54 pm

Until they find conclusive evidence that Fawcett is dead, they need to press on as a rescue operation.  He could be holed up in a cave awaiting a rescue.

Wrong faucet.  Only Fawcett's career is missing presumed dead!
:P

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/03/08 at 6:29 am

Latest reports - and this is phrased rather gruesomely, I realize.. is that they have "found body parts" amongst the wreckage.
US investigators say they have found what they believe may be human remains amid the wreckage of adventurer Steve Fossett's plane in eastern California.

Written By: greenjello74 on 10/03/08 at 7:24 pm

US investigators say they have found what they believe may be human remains amid the wreckage of adventurer Steve Fossett's plane in eastern California.

I read that too from the AP

Written By: danootaandme on 10/04/08 at 10:42 am

His money won't help him now. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/06/08 at 1:20 am

THIS JUST IN:

Steve Fossett is STILL missing.

Wait!  I see him!  Nope, sorry that's just squished frog in the middle of the road!

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/06/08 at 2:19 am

His money won't help him now. 

Especially since his wife now has it all.  She did not let any grass grow beneath her feet before having him declared dead.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/08/08 at 8:16 pm

Especially since his wife now has it all.  She did not let any grass grow beneath her feet before having him declared dead.

Maybe his wife jerry-rigged that balloon!
:o

Check for new replies or respond here...