inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Béyonce Vs. Fergie Vs. Gwen Vs. Nelly Furtado

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 09/09/07 at 10:22 am

I associate all these singers with each other for some reason....They all released albums in 2006, and they are probably the "hottest" (as in most popular) females in music right now in the 'States.

Based off their albums....I like Fergie's The Dutchess the best. It's really underrated. She's the under-dog, too, and I'm glad that her album has been so succesful. Gwen's The Sweet Escape comes in second. Also a very underrated album. I like it better than L.A.M.B. Béyonce comes in third. B'day is pretty good. I like it alot better than her first solo album. Nelly comes in third. I love Maneater, Promiscious and Say It Right, and All Good Things, but most of the other songs off Loose are just okay.

Subject: Re: Béyonce Vs. Fergie Vs. Gwen Vs. Nelly Furtado

Written By: ladybug316 on 09/09/07 at 10:48 am

I love Gwen.  Nelly is next in line.  I don't like either Beyonce or Fergie.

Written By: Brian06 on 09/09/07 at 10:55 am

Tough call. Gwen's latest album, it's ok songs like "Early Winter" are very good...but the title hit song "The Sweet Escape" damn I just can't stand it much, but I like L.A.M.B. a lot better. B'Day is cool for being different but I liked Dangerously In Love better..it was more fun. Fergie's album has a some decent songs like "Big Girls Don't Cry", it's ok. Favorite overall album is probably Loose. I never expected Nelly Furtado to return to prominence, so her comeback is definitely one of the more defining great things that has happened in music in the last year for me. "Say It Right" is truly a great song and is already in the book as one of this decades classics.

Written By: whistledog on 09/09/07 at 11:04 am

Gwen Stefani for me

Written By: audkal on 09/09/07 at 12:25 pm

Gwen, then Beyonce, Fergie, Nelly Furtado.

Written By: KKay on 09/09/07 at 4:28 pm

bet they all have "fragrances"
i'm out.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/09/07 at 4:32 pm

I associate all these singers with each other for some reason....

Me too... I think it is called "ambitious skankdom"...

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 09/09/07 at 4:39 pm

i don't think Gwen's skanky. Or Béyonce....

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/09/07 at 6:05 pm

i don't think Gwen's skanky. Or Béyonce....

Watch some of Gwen's videos.  Or some of Bouncy's photo shoots.

Written By: Dukefan on 09/09/07 at 6:23 pm

Gwen is great.  :)

Written By: Brian06 on 09/09/07 at 6:49 pm

The videos are what makes them great LOL

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/09/07 at 6:54 pm

I pick Gwen.

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 09/09/07 at 7:00 pm

i think they are lusty, but i don't think they are neccessairly skanky. Fergie and Nelly come off as being skanky to me....but not the other two.

Written By: robby76 on 09/09/07 at 8:43 pm

Despite being tired of today's chart music, I like Beyonce the best. Irreplaceable, Listen and one of her single videos are all great rnb pop.

Written By: Henk on 09/10/07 at 12:28 am

Nelly Furtado. Hands down.

I never cared much for Gwen's solo efforts, and Beyoncé and Fergie just can't make it alone, can they?

Written By: Zoso on 09/10/07 at 7:38 am

In order...

Fergie
I love the solo stuff I have heard from her. I have not yet bought/downloaded her entire album yet. So far I've just heard the singles. I love everyone of them. "London Bridge" is my favourite. Followed by "Glamorous", "Big Girl's Don't Cry" and "Fergalicious", in that order. I also love her stuff with BEP. I know alot of hip-hop enthusiasts will fight to the death saying BEP were much better before she joined. But I think they became more hip-pop, rather than hip-hop, and as a pop fan at heart, that means I enjoyed them more. I like their fergie-era much as the hook's are catchier and the beats and rhymes are more radio-friendly. I like that sort of stuff. So as a solo artist and a member of BEP, Fergie reigns supreme.

Nelly Furtardo
She's got some cool songs. I dig "Like a Bird" and "Turn off the Lights", plus pretty much all of "Loose". However, she comes in second purely because Fergie does have the under-dog quality and Furtardo gets enough aclaim as it is.

Beyonce
Great voice, cool songs, but a cocky bi-atch. She thinks she's such a triple-threat and no one can touch her. That really annoyes me. I also think she has been saturating the music market lately with so many releasing coming out her arse. There's just too much Beyonce at the moment. If she takes a long break and then comes back with a new album, I will appreciate that album more than if she releases it tomorrow. Take a break B.

Gwen Stefani
I hate her. Annoying songs. Annoying personality. I liked No Doubt. They were cool. Why'd she spoil that by becoming the sluttiest sell-out pop chick of the generation? Die.

Written By: KKay on 09/10/07 at 3:01 pm

I don't think i've ever heard nor seen Nelly furtado.

Written By: ladybug316 on 09/10/07 at 3:08 pm

In order...

Fergie
I love the solo stuff I have heard from her. I have not yet bought/downloaded her entire album yet. So far I've just heard the singles. I love everyone of them. "London Bridge" is my favourite. Followed by "Glamorous", "Big Girl's Don't Cry" and "Fergalicious", in that order. I also love her stuff with BEP. I know alot of hip-hop enthusiasts will fight to the death saying BEP were much better before she joined. But I think they became more hip-pop, rather than hip-hop, and as a pop fan at heart, that means I enjoyed them more. I like their fergie-era much as the hook's are catchier and the beats and rhymes are more radio-friendly. I like that sort of stuff. So as a solo artist and a member of BEP, Fergie reigns supreme.

Nelly Furtardo
She's got some cool songs. I dig "Like a Bird" and "Turn off the Lights", plus pretty much all of "Loose". However, she comes in second purely because Fergie does have the under-dog quality and Furtardo gets enough aclaim as it is.

Beyonce
Great voice, cool songs, but a cocky bi-atch. She thinks she's such a triple-threat and no one can touch her. That really annoyes me. I also think she has been saturating the music market lately with so many releasing coming out her arse. There's just too much Beyonce at the moment. If she takes a long break and then comes back with a new album, I will appreciate that album more than if she releases it tomorrow. Take a break B.

Gwen Stefani
I hate her. Annoying songs. Annoying personality. I liked No Doubt. They were cool. Why'd she spoil that by becoming the sluttiest sell-out pop chick of the generation? Die.

"Gwen Stefani - Die"  That's awfully harsh :-\\

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/10/07 at 7:17 pm

In order...

Beyonce

Bouncy:  I laughed my butt off when she and her handlers were "positioning" her to get an Oscar last year, ans instead the award went to Jennifer Hudson.  Jennoifer mopped up the floor with her.  What I cannot stand about Bouncy is that deep down she is insecure and so she tried to use her power (very successfuly, I must say) to crush anybody who she sees as a "threat".

Fergie:  I thik she is a real skank-o-rama.  But... I got to give her props for her latest single "Big Girls Don't Cry".  It is GREAT and it reminds me of female vocals from the mid 1960's, like Lulu.  Niice job there.

Nelly Furtado:  I really liked her early stuff.  But then she was constantly saying "I am portuguese this and I am portuguese that".  Like she was ashamed that she's a Canadian.  WHo cares if she is portuguese or romanian?  Turned me off.  Then she started skanking up her perfomances (well before "promiscuous".)  Too bad, cause she does have a nice voice and a smokin' bod.

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 09/11/07 at 6:51 am

i think it's so annoying whenever somone here in the U.S. who was born and raised here is like "i'm proud to be irish!". they're not irish.... ::). or when someone says, "my family is italian, so that's why i'm like this!", or something.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/11/07 at 9:11 am

i think it's so annoying whenever somone here in the U.S. who was born and raised here is like "i'm proud to be irish!". they're not irish.... ::). or when someone says, "my family is italian, so that's why i'm like this!", or something.

It's funny though, because Fergie has always been one of those people where, even if they are acting/dressing skanky...I just don't recognize it. For instance....if it was Britney Spears, or several other singers/actors...I will be like, "ew, they are so skanky"....but with Fergie...I just never really see her as that.

Written By: tv on 09/12/07 at 9:51 am

I like Nelly Furtado the best out of all them I mean she did a 360 with her music in 2006/2007 in making a dance/synth album I mean she was once an A/C artist in 2001 with hits songs "I;m Like A Bird". I think she deserves credit fir doing a 360 with her music because she pulled it off so well.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 09/12/07 at 10:21 pm

Nelly gets my vote.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/09/07 at 12:05 pm

For those of you Fergie fans...here's a clip from when she was STACY on Kid's Incorporated. I used to watch this all the time..and I thought she was so hip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zd0qBx7kWWM

oh, btw...I think she looks so pretty in her new video for, "Clumsy" :)

Written By: EyesWideAsleep on 11/20/07 at 8:40 pm

Gwen, but I'm really getting sick of her.

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 11/23/07 at 6:00 pm

I don't like today's music but I like Beyonce.  Beyonce all the way!!!!!!

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 11/24/07 at 5:58 pm

It's funny though, because Fergie has always been one of those people where, even if they are acting/dressing skanky...I just don't recognize it. For instance....if it was Britney Spears, or several other singers/actors...I will be like, "ew, they are so skanky"....but with Fergie...I just never really see her as that.

this is really late to post this....but once i saw Fergie in interviews, i saw that she is very, very different from what i thought she would be like, and doesn't seem skanky at all to me. it was after i saw what she's really like that i decided to buy her album.

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 11/25/07 at 11:45 am

...i just found out that Fergie's latest single 'Clumsy' has reached #8 (yea!!) in the U.S., making her the first female artist to pull five top 10 singles off an album since Paula Abdul with her Forever Your Girl album!!  :D

....it's exciting to me that an artist can still be that sucessful.

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/25/07 at 12:32 pm

...i just found out that Fergie's latest single 'Clumsy' has reached #8 (yea!!) in the U.S., making her the first female artist to pull five top 10 singles off an album since Paula Abdul with her Forever Your Girl album!!  :D

Maybe Paula and Fergie can sing a duet some time...

Written By: chatterbox on 12/01/07 at 4:44 am

I hate Beyonce. She is just a daughter of rich parents. Maybe I liked her before, when she was cuter, thinner and her songs were better.

Fergie is too sweet. I love her stuff with BEP, but "Dutchess" sucks.

Gwen is nice. She is 38, but she looks younger. I like her songs from "Love. Angel. Music. Baby." and also some songs from "The Sweet Escape".

Furtado is great. I like all of her songs. I won a competition in my country (Latvia) singing Maneater.  My favourite song is "Like a bird"

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 12/01/07 at 9:47 am

I hate Beyonce. She is just a daughter of rich parents. Maybe I liked her before, when she was cuter, thinner and her songs were better.

Yeah, I usually base musicians' talent on whether their ghetto booty can fit into a size 0, or not  ::). By the way, I'm Beth. I'm really sarcastic. Welcome to the forum.

...But I digress. I suppose if someone was holding a shard of broken glass to my neck, forcing me to enjoy mainstream music, I'd pick Nelly Furtado. To me, her music is becoming a lot more enjoyable (Or bearable, whatever) to listen to. When she first became popular with "I'm Like A Bird", I was more or less "Wtf? Stfu, Nelly Furtado."

Gwen was ...okay, when No Doubt was considered more of a ska band.

Meh.

Written By: Dominic L. on 12/01/07 at 7:37 pm

Yeah, I usually base musicians' talent on whether their ghetto booty can fit into a size 0, or not  ::). By the way, I'm Beth. I'm really sarcastic. Welcome to the forum.

...But I digress. I suppose if someone was holding a shard of broken glass to my neck, forcing me to enjoy mainstream music, I'd pick Nelly Furtado. To me, her music is becoming a lot more enjoyable (Or bearable, whatever) to listen to. When she first became popular with "I'm Like A Bird", I was more or less "Wtf? Stfu, Nelly Furtado."

Gwen was ...okay, when No Doubt was considered more of a ska band.

Meh.

Really? I liked Nelly more in the past.

Gwen's debut was ridiculous, but had some nice melodies and the such. I admit that I like No Doubt, all of their albums.

Written By: Red Ant on 12/01/07 at 9:26 pm

Gwen Stefani

LMAO! So true...

I'm disappointed that this thread is not about a 4 way WWF match between these artists.  ;)

Ant

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/02/07 at 6:37 am

This is a hard decision to make.

All four of them peg the needle on the Skankometer.  ::)

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 12/03/07 at 7:22 am

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/01/azcrying.gif

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 12/03/07 at 2:59 pm

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/01/azcrying.gif

a-are you okay.. ?

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/04/07 at 6:13 am

Fergie is too sweet. I love her stuff with BEP, but "Dutchess" sucks.

Gwen is nice. She is 38, but she looks younger. I like her songs from "Love. Angel. Music. Baby." and also some songs from "The Sweet Escape".

Furtado is great. I like all of her songs. I won a competition in my country (Latvia) singing Maneater.  My favourite song is "Like a bird"

Yeah, Gwen's Love Angel Music Baby was great, even better than some of the stuff she did with No Doubt. "What You Waiting For" and "Cool" sounds like some of the most convincing '80s music that wasn't from the actual '80s! I wasn't too into "The Sweet Escape" though, but it's okay. She definitely seems younger than her age too. I'd probably guess about 25 if I didn't know.

Beyonce and Nelly Furtado are okay. I didn't care for Fergie's solo stuff that much at first ("London Bridge" was kind of a dull first single), but it's grown on me a bit just from radio exposure. It's more like hip-hop influenced radio pop.

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/04/07 at 6:17 am

I agree, 1989 Paula and 2007 Fergie are kinda similar (although I prefer Paula! ;) ). Both are radio pop music you can dance to, that has some light hip hop influence without actually being rap per se. Even if she's already been around with Black Eyed Peas, it's still her first solo album and that's pretty impressive.

Written By: McDonald on 12/04/07 at 10:32 pm

Nelly Furtado. No question for me. I love her first album, and all her singles after that have been good. I don't care as much for the fact that she had to conform to the sort of (excuse the expression) whorish pop world, but the songs are still good, so I guess I don't care as much. But I wish she were still making serious music.

Plus she's Canadian, which means she scores extra points.

Written By: Dominic L. on 12/05/07 at 11:07 pm

I'd also like to state that "Big Girls Don't Cry" is one of the ugliest songs I've heard in a long while. Totally serious. I don't know if anybody else has used this adjective to describe the song, but it's the one that come s to mind for me.

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/08/07 at 6:54 am

Plus she's Canadian, which means she scores extra points.

I've never ever seen her on TV talking about being Canadian.  She is always blabbering on about Portuguese this and Portuguese that.

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/08/07 at 6:56 am

I'd also like to state that "Big Girls Don't Cry" is one of the ugliest songs I've heard in a long while. Totally serious. I don't know if anybody else has used this adjective to describe the song, but it's the one that come s to mind for me.

That's the only Fergie song that I like.

The latest variation on the "It's not you, it's me" breakup story.

I can't figure out what her deal is.  She could look quite attractive, but her hair, makeup, eyebrow piercing, and clothing make her look like she is a fashion model for Skank Magazine.  :-\\  Makes me wonder what she's hiding from.

Written By: McDonald on 12/08/07 at 11:03 am

I've never ever seen her on TV talking about being Canadian.  She is always blabbering on about Portuguese this and Portuguese that.

Well, she sang O Canada for the NBA all-star game a few years ago, she played the Grey Cup last year, hosted the Junos this year. I would say she has stuck close to her roots in Canada. However, she is also a Portuguese citizen because her parents are Portuguese, and so I imagine she's proud of that heritage as well. She speaks Portuguese and she sang the Portuguese theme song for the last World Cup. 

Written By: chatterbox on 12/08/07 at 11:10 am

That's the only Fergie song that I like.

The latest variation on the "It's not you, it's me" breakup story.

I can't figure out what her deal is.  She could look quite attractive, but her hair, makeup, eyebrow piercing, and clothing make her look like she is a fashion model for Skank Magazine.  :-\\  Makes me wonder what she's hiding from.

I like Fergie from Kids Invorporated. She was so nice little girl. She is so skanky now.

Check for new replies or respond here...