inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Local

Written By: Echo Nomad on 09/10/07 at 11:57 pm

Local

Subject: Re: Local Prices

Written By: Red Ant on 09/11/07 at 1:42 am

Interesting thread! Karma for you.

I live in Williamsburg, which gets an insane amount of tourism every year. Prices are not cheap on anything...

Movie matinee: 5.50 (at best, usually it's 6.50+)

Movie Theatre Soda: 3.00

Motels: Motels 6 is 29.99 off season. Most places are decent in price only because they are thirty year old s***holes and far below the chain standard. Room rates for most hotels/motels average 89.99 this time of year.

One room efficiency: Doesn't exist here really. The absolute cheapest you'll find an apartment is $650 - most are $850 and up. Housing starts at $1200 a month - that's a 900 sqft 50 year old starter home...

Housing: Is insane. Said starter homes routinely sell for 180k with no realtor. It's impossible to find a place now for less than 160k in this area. 10 years ago the same houses sold for 65-85k.

New construction is a quarter of a million dollars minimum....

Some other local things:

Sales tax on dining is 10%.

Fast food places here run 10-20% more expensive than say Richmond VA.

Gas isn't terrible, probably around the national average.

Busch Gardens passes here are slightly more expensive than the one in Tampa, and ours is open only six months out of the year...

Power is fairly cheap: I think we pay $0.08/kwh.

Automotive service rates are generally around $75/hr.

I almost forgot: bowling is $4.25 a game now.  >:(

Ant

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/11/07 at 9:24 am

Local Prices
Living in a small town I’m occasionally shocked when I hear the going prices for different products or services in the larger communities. So the purpose of this thread is to compare the going rate around the world. However now that we’re becoming an official weekend retreat community for Chicago our prices may rise in the near future. Here’s a couple of examples:

Movie Matinee: 3.50   Pop: 1.75
Haircut: 9.00
Motel: 69.00 (Super 8 )
1 room efficiency: 400 a month
Housing: 20-60k

wow...that's pretty cheap!

I live about 45 minutes from Pittsburgh, Pa. Here is how the prices compare locally:

Movie Matinee: $6.00  Regular night price: $8.50  Pop: (at the movie theatre, I presume) around $3.50
Haircut: I have paid anywhere from $15-$20
Motel: depends on where you stay...but I would say the cheapest would be around $70
1 room efficiency: about $400/month and typical 1 or 2 bedroom apts around here go for about $500-$1000/month
Housing: cheapest (fixer upper type home)...around $60,000 nice surburban home.... starting around $150,000-$180,000 and up.

Written By: Marian on 09/11/07 at 1:39 pm

I live in the bay Area.A small house is generally about $500,000.A nicer one with 4 bedrooms would be about $700,000 to $900,000and up.A nice classic house with at least 4 bedrooms,walk in closets,bay windows,attic and/or basement and a decent yard is usually over $1,000,000 and 2 or 3 million isn't unheard of.

Written By: KKay on 09/11/07 at 1:42 pm

New York:

Movie: 10.50 regular, 8$ matinee.
Popcorn and soda, 12$
Haircut: generllay $30.  You can find 5$ and 10$ too.
Motel: anywhere from 100 to as high as y ou like.
1 room efficiency: not sure.
Housing: a house here?  you need 350,000.

Written By: La Roche on 09/11/07 at 1:54 pm

I think I live in one of the cheapest citys in the U.S. I know when they don't include East St. Louis, St. Louis has one of the best standards of living per dollar in the country, of course, when they include East St. Louis (which is a separate city, geographically, economically and socially) it all drops off the end of the table.

Anyhow - Movie is around $5.
If you want popcorn and a big soda with that, figure on spending another $5.
I pay $20 for my haircuts, but I'm real specific, I know there's a place near here that's $8 for a basic trim.
Motel room - Hell, I dunno. I know you can get a room down the other side of highway 44 for $69.99 (Because I can see their sign right now) but.. I dunno the average.
I just found an apartment for my friend, she's paying $380 for a living room/dining room, bedroom, bathroom, kitchen and balcony in an Ok area. If you wanna live in Clayton or Ladue you'll pay $2000 a month, if you wanna live in South City or Dog Town you'll pay $350-500.
I think the price of an average house is around $180K.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/11/07 at 6:16 pm

Cinema prices keep getting more and more insane.

I ain't exactly an old gramps in a rocking chair, and I can remember when when a first-run weekend night ticket was $2.50 and you could get a snack and a soft drink for ninety cents.
::)

Of course, beverage and popcorn sizes were reasonable for human consumption 30 years ago.  We didn't expect a vat of Coca-Cola and a silo of popcorn!
:D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/11/07 at 10:22 pm

Of course, beverage and popcorn sizes were reasonable for human consumption 30 years ago.  We didn't expect a vat of Coca-Cola and a silo of popcorn!
:D

:D ;D sad, but true.

Written By: Marian on 09/14/07 at 11:08 am

:D ;D sad, but true.
hence vanity sizing in clothes nowadyas1

Written By: La Roche on 09/14/07 at 11:53 am

Anyhow - Movie is around $5.

Boy oh boy, how things change.

In the space of a year and a half it went from being $5 to $7.50. Damn! It's not like I was gone long.

Written By: KKay on 09/14/07 at 11:54 am

Boy oh boy, how things change.

In the space of a year and a half it went from being $5 to $7.50. Damn! It's not like I was gone long.

i'm moving out there.
this sheiss is too expensive here on the coast.

Written By: La Roche on 09/14/07 at 11:55 am

i'm moving out there.
this sheiss is too expensive here on the coast.

I told you to move to Chicago didn't I?

The rent's familiar.. but everything else is cheaper.

Written By: thereshegoes on 09/14/07 at 5:00 pm

Overhere you can find everything at every price,here is what i usually pay in USD.

Rio de Janeiro

Movie ticket: 8.95$
Haircut: 15,80$
Motel: 36,00$
1 room efficiency: 210,00$
A small apartment: 65.800,00$

Check for new replies or respond here...