inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Backstreet Boys-Inconsolable

Written By: Dino on 09/16/07 at 6:51 am

the backs treet boys are back again with their new single "Inconsolable" what do yall think about the song and do you think bsb can make a better comeback this time around. Then the last time, since they're going back to the sounds that made them famous in the first place and the new album will be more like the "Millenium" album but with a modern day sound to it.And its called "Unbreakable"

heres a new pic of the boys:

http://www.sawf.org/Newsphotos/Entertainment/BackstreetBoys08Aug2007.jpg

Check out their new video here:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=S4VNG4_wjx0

Subject: Re: Backstreet Boys-Inconsolable

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/16/07 at 12:09 pm

Is that the name of the song or the state of the listener?
:P

Written By: whistledog on 09/16/07 at 1:09 pm

I know Kevin left the group, but he could've atleast taken his shoes with him :D

Written By: gumbypiz on 09/16/07 at 9:18 pm

the backs treet boys are back again with their new single "Inconsolable" what do yall think about the song and do you think bsb can make a better comeback this time around. Then the last time, since they're going back to the sounds that made them famous in the first place and the new album will be more like the "Millenium" album but with a modern day sound to it.And its called "Unbreakable"

heres a new pic of the boys:

Check out their new video here:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=S4VNG4_wjx0

I really don't understand the reason for a comeback attempt for a "boy band" like this. The main focus of their target market was young teen girls, who have now grown up and (hopefully, for their own sake) grown out of, and onto other sounds.

Going back to a ever lowering well of a fan base would seem to bring back consistently diminishing returns, they'd have to hope for a new source audience in addition to those who want to still hear them from the past to hope to revive their past glory, an unlikely proposition at best, and the music scene has changed a lot since then, so why bother?

Written By: Brian06 on 09/16/07 at 11:00 pm

Is it a coincidence that this song sounds like "Incomplete" and also spelled like it?

Written By: Tam on 09/17/07 at 12:43 am

I really don't understand the reason for a comeback attempt for a "boy band" like this. The main focus of their target market was young teen girls, who have now grown up and (hopefully, for their own sake) grown out of, and onto other sounds.

Going back to a ever lowering well of a fan base would seem to bring back consistently diminishing returns, they'd have to hope for a new source audience in addition to those who want to still hear them from the past to hope to revive their past glory, an unlikely proposition at best, and the music scene has changed a lot since then, so why bother?

The same can be said of such groups like Duran Duran or the singles acts like Debbie Gibson, Britney Spears and Madonna. It all depends on who has longevity. And it all depends on their fan base. (Of course D2 and Madonna are in a class of their own, BS can do it - if she gets the right manager and her act together, and who really wants to hear DG? blech!) I may be the only one here, but I think this somg is pretty darn good.

Written By: gumbypiz on 09/17/07 at 5:10 am

The same can be said of such groups like Duran Duran or the singles acts like Debbie Gibson, Britney Spears and Madonna. It all depends on who has longevity. And it all depends on their fan base. (Of course D2 and Madonna are in a class of their own, BS can do it - if she gets the right manager and her act together, and who really wants to hear DG? blech!) I may be the only one here, but I think this somg is pretty darn good.

While I agree with Debbie Gibson, and Britney Spears being in the somewhat same category, I'd have to (begrudgingly) opt out Duran Duran and Madonna in this instance. (And BTW, I DON'T think BS can do it, she's done. Let the 99cent and cut-out bins declare her ending in this biz).

Despite my own musical snobbery (I admit it) Duran Duran, although they had some of the same "boy band" presence in the mid 80's, they were indeed a much more talented songwriting and performance band, that have had many successful comeback attempts because of the music they made, grew, and evolved  into.
Madonna's repeated recreation of herself and musical style to this day is the BIBLE of the entertainment industry's guide to longevity and survival.
The longevity of Duran Duran and Madonna shows some serious talent and musical creativity that, sorry, the Backstreet Boys, in both writing, producing, marketing and performing are lacking. Not even on the same level.

I'm not saying the song is good or bad, just that their audience has gone away. And for their instance in this comeback attempt they need something more than good, something really different or spectacular, they need that former base to have a "comeback" work. That same listening group they had years ago is gone, moved on. That innovation and fan base is obviously not there. Its just a marketing thing, thats how the music industry works nowadays, sad case as it is.  Since their skills as a innovator in pop or music was laking and limited to begin with, they are going to have a hard time trying to make this "comeback" a success with just one good single.

Ask N'Sync, or the New Kids On the Block how well their comeback attempts worked for them.

Again, not trying to be a spoil sport, just being realistic.

Written By: Dino on 09/17/07 at 8:34 am

While I agree with Debbie Gibson, and Britney Spears being in the somewhat same category, I'd have to (begrudgingly) opt out Duran Duran and Madonna in this instance. (And BTW, I DON'T think BS can do it, she's done. Let the 99cent and cut-out bins declare her ending in this biz).

Despite my own musical snobbery (I admit it) Duran Duran, although they had some of the same "boy band" presence in the mid 80's, they were indeed a much more talented songwriting and performance band, that have had many successful comeback attempts because of the music they made, grew, and evolved  into.
Madonna's repeated recreation of herself and musical style to this day is the BIBLE of the entertainment industry's guide to longevity and survival.
The longevity of Duran Duran and Madonna shows some serious talent and musical creativity that, sorry, the Backstreet Boys, in both writing, producing, marketing and performing are lacking. Not even on the same level.

I'm not saying the song is good or bad, just that their audience has gone away. And for their instance in this comeback attempt they need something more than good, something really different or spectacular, they need that former base to have a "comeback" work. That same listening group they had years ago is gone, moved on. That innovation and fan base is obviously not there. Its just a marketing thing, thats how the music industry works nowadays, sad case as it is.  Since their skills as a innovator in pop or music was laking and limited to begin with, they are going to have a hard time trying to make this "comeback" a success with just one good single.

Ask N'Sync, or the New Kids On the Block how well their comeback attempts worked for them.

Again, not trying to be a spoil sport, just being realistic.

im sorry but Duran Durans last album peaked at 17 on the billboard chart and i dont think they gained any new "YOUNG" fans.
"Austronaut" hardly went gold and all the single from their lat album kinda floped hard.Duran Duran may has had longevetity but they had lots of flop comeback too especially in the early 90's and late 90's but they did managed to make an amazing comeback in 1993 but the follow album unfortunetaley flopped. Nsync can actually make a succefull comeback because of justin's solo succes.

Written By: gumbypiz on 09/17/07 at 4:22 pm

im sorry but Duran Durans last album peaked at 17 on the billboard chart and i dont think they gained any new "YOUNG" fans.
"Austronaut" hardly went gold and all the single from their lat album kinda floped hard.Duran Duran may has had longevetity but they had lots of flop comeback too especially in the early 90's and late 90's but they did managed to make an amazing comeback in 1993 but the follow album unfortunetaley flopped. Nsync can actually make a succefull comeback because of justin's solo succes.

?? But thats the point, Duran Duran doesn't HAVE to pull in any new young fans, their music has evolved as such that they don't need the fickle and ever changing market of teens for an audience. Flopped albums notwithstanding, they have earned respect and produced successful albums beyond when their good looks faded or waned. They've done this for well over 25 years now, so their doing something right.
I'm not one to really focus on chart position but 17 out of the Billboard Top 200 is pretty damn good, and "hardly" went gold is nothing to scoff at.
If you're a fan of Backstreet Boys, no matter what anyone says, you're not going to agree with what a confirmed "boy band" hater such as I have to say...

Just be aware, in the annuals of history, when it comes time for a nominee for the Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame or a Grammy for life achievement, Duran Duran (arguably) actually has a slim shot (for their 80's albums and hits alone), but the B Boys aren't going to be on that list or up for consideration.
Hey, I could be wrong, history will tell the story, lets see if the Backstreet Boys are still making music in say 10 years, much less 20...

Written By: Dino on 09/18/07 at 4:41 am

?? But thats the point, Duran Duran doesn't HAVE to pull in any new young fans, their music has evolved as such that they don't need the fickle and ever changing market of teens for an audience. Flopped albums notwithstanding, they have earned respect and produced successful albums beyond when their good looks faded or waned. They've done this for well over 25 years now, so their doing something right.
I'm not one to really focus on chart position but 17 out of the Billboard Top 200 is pretty damn good, and "hardly" went gold is nothing to scoff at.
If you're a fan of Backstreet Boys, no matter what anyone says, you're not going to agree with what a confirmed "boy band" hater such as I have to say...

Just be aware, in the annuals of history, when it comes time for a nominee for the Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame or a Grammy for life achievement, Duran Duran (arguably) actually has a slim shot (for their 80's albums and hits alone), but the B Boys aren't going to be on that list or up for consideration.
Hey, I could be wrong, history will tell the story, lets see if the Backstreet Boys are still making music in say 10 years, much less 20...

bsb were a pop phenomenon in the late 90's and earl 00's and they had record breaking sales they will be remembered
they're the biggest selling boyband of all time
And Duran Duran are trying to gain younger fans becaues why would they work with "Timbaland" & Justin timberlake for???
because they're the hottest acts out there right now and they're just jumping on the timbaland bandwagon like everybody else
so they can have hit singles again which they have been lacking for years now and get played on mtv again too.
Im not dissing duran duran i looooooove their music especially "Wild Boys"

Oh by the way the backstreet boys has been in the music industry since 1995 thats 12 years of succes so far....
and they have been together as a group for over 14 years so that proves they have longvetitiy, 12 years for a boyband
most people thought would have faded away along time ago is really amazing dont you think??.

bsb recieved an award by the grammy people for the succes they've had in the music industry so far:

Recording Academy Honors
The Backstreet Boys were honored by the Recording Academy in Miami, FL with a Recording Academy Honors award to mark their success in the Music industry so far.

Written By: Dino on 09/18/07 at 4:45 am

but gumpypiz you're right Duran Duran are respected and very talnted band but it took trhem some time to earn that respect.
But anywaY IM LOOKING FORWArd to their new album anyway,and i hope they make "Nite Runner" nthat could give them a huge hit
again in the usa im sooo excited for their new album Simon lebon is a legen ;)

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 09/18/07 at 10:18 am

Even though it's possible, I can't really see BSB making a huge comeback. The average BSB fan in 1999 was probably right around my age(I was 12 that year). Now most of there fans during there peak years are like 18-21.

Most of there fans have "grown out" of them, and I think they would have problems getting fans among modern 11/12 year olds, who probably don't even remember them.

Written By: whistledog on 09/18/07 at 10:25 am

Duran Duran is a good example.  In 1993, all these young girls were screaming over Duran Duran when they had that comeback 1993 album. 
In 1997, when they released that song 'Electric Barbarella', it went into the Canadian Top 40, so they came to Canada to promote it, and I saw them on TV at the Much Music studios being interviewed, and you could see all these teenage girls screaming with excitement.  I bet alot of them (at the time) didn't know Duran Duran had been making records some 17 years

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/18/07 at 5:28 pm

Duran Duran was not a "boy band."  It wasn't like some producer wrote all the songs and laid all the tracks, and then recruited some foxy young dudes to sing along.  John Taylor and Nick Rhodes started Duran Duran in 1978, before anybody was even talking about MTV.  DD wrote their own music and lyrics.  They created their own New Romantic image. And they were all cuuuute! Teenage girls would have gone nuts for DD even if MTV had not happened.  All MTV did was amplify the band's success by a factor of 10!  People say MTV made Duran Duran.  This is somewhat true.  However, it is just as true that Duran Duran made MTV! 

I was a huge DD fan.  Of course, I had to keep it hidden at school.*  DD was strictly a girl's band.  Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Def Leppard, Aereosmith, Van Halen...this was required listening for guys.  Walk down the halls sporting a DD t-shirt and fall victim to "Hey f*gg*t!," and a beating!
My 43-year-old metalhead brother-in-law will still give me the evil eye for mentioning DD!
;D

Yes, Duran Duran was bubblegum.  Light fare.  They never claimed to be anything else and I never expected more from them.  But there's cool bubblegum and lame bubblegum.  Duran was cool bubblegum.  Wham! was lame bubblegum, IMO. 

Speaking of lame bubblegum, the Backstreet Boys don't merit any comparison to Duran Duran.
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/14/nono.gif

*Better make that double for Boy George!
;D

Written By: tv on 09/18/07 at 6:13 pm

Duran Duran is a good example.  In 1993, all these young girls were screaming over Duran Duran when they had that comeback 1993 album. 
In 1997, when they released that song 'Electric Barbarella', it went into the Canadian Top 40, so they came to Canada to promote it, and I saw them on TV at the Much Music studios being interviewed, and you could see all these teenage girls screaming with excitement.  I bet alot of them (at the time) didn't know Duran Duran had been making records some 17 years
Yeah I remember(at the time when I was 18) MuchMusic played "Electric Barbella" in 1997 and I really didnlt know about Duran Durans past work(from the 80's) at the time until mid to late 1998. I do remember hearing "Come Undone" and "Ordinary World" from 1993 but I didn;t make the connection that they were the same band that did Electric Barbella. "Electric Barbella" done in 1997 did sound alot different than songs like "Come Undone" and "Ordinary World" that were hits in 1993.

I do remember a girl that I went to High School with(that was in the same graduating class as me too) she liked Duran Duran in 1998.

Written By: tv on 09/18/07 at 6:24 pm

Please in 1993 Duran Duran was probably know as a washed up 80's act before Ordinary World" and "Come Undone"  became very successful and both songs didn;t sound like their 80's material at all. Those 2 songs sounded did sound like that Duran Duran had matured musically but the mistake they made was putting out an album of covers in 1995. They should have put out an album of newly recorded music with original songs written by the band in 1995.  Duran Duran just never rode the momuntem of The Wedding Album that came out in 1993 and I think thats a mistake that they will always regret by putting out an album covers like they did in 1995 instead of putting out an album with original songs written by the band. "Elerctirc Barbella" although I will always have noglastic memories from listening to it it sounded like Duran Duran regressed back to their 80's sound instead of maturing musically as they did with the Wedding album in 1993.

Written By: tv on 09/18/07 at 6:34 pm

bsb were a pop phenomenon in the late 90's and earl 00's and they had record breaking sales they will be remembered

Oh by the way the backstreet boys has been in the music industry since 1995 thats 12 years of succes so far....
and they have been together as a group for over 14 years so that proves they have longvetitiy, 12 years for a boyband
most people thought would have faded away along time ago is really amazing dont you think??.

bsb recieved an award by the grammy people for the succes they've had in the music industry so far:

Recording Academy Honors
The Backstreet Boys were honored by the Recording Academy in Miami, FL with a Recording Academy Honors award to mark their success in the Music industry so far.
BSB was a very popular act from 1997-late 2000/early 2001 but they really haven't done anything since late 2000/early 2001. I mean in 2005 they did have a hit with "Incomplete" I'll give them that but the follow up song to "Incomplate" was a total flop. They haven't really done anything in 7 years basically. I just don't see BSB making a comeback and I think people still have a distaste from the teen-pop era of 1999-2000 because the teen-pop was in the media and got overexposed too much in those 2 years.

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/19/07 at 8:02 am

Even though it's possible, I can't really see BSB making a huge comeback. The average BSB fan in 1999 was probably right around my age(I was 12 that year). Now most of there fans during there peak years are like 18-21.

Most of there fans have "grown out" of them, and I think they would have problems getting fans among modern 11/12 year olds, who probably don't even remember them.

I agree with that. Alot of people grow out of music, if it's something that really strongly target a certain fanbase. I personally have always stuck with any music I liked, but the reason is that I've always tended to like pop or mainstream rock, and that can kinda appeal to everyone. Sure, I might've liked Huey Lewis when I was 4, Bon Jovi when I was 7, or Paula Abdul when I was 10, but there were lots of fans outside that group too. Of course, I also often liked things "after the fact" too.

Yet, outside of a few casual adult/older teenage fans, SO MUCH of BSB's audience were probably 8-13 year old girls around 1999. That's not to say they were untalented or not good singers, but their image was so much of their success. They wouldn't be able to come back nearly as strong now, even if they changed their musical style to fit the mid-late '00s.

Check for new replies or respond here...