inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Kanye's CD outsells 50 Cent's

Written By: batfan2005 on 09/21/07 at 3:32 pm

Latest update from Billboard indicates that Kanye West's "Graduation" album sold more copies than 50 Cent's "Curtis". Which album are you going to get, or are you going to get both? I'm planning on picking up Kanye's CD for sure.

Subject: Re: Kanye's CD outsells 50 Cent's

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 09/21/07 at 3:57 pm

i'm not getting either, but i'm thrilled 50 has been outsold!  :)

Written By: Haynsoul on 09/21/07 at 8:33 pm

Does that mean 50 is finally going to disappear?  :D

Written By: Brian06 on 09/21/07 at 9:39 pm

I bought em both. Kanye's is pretty good, not his best, but quite good. 50's is typical mediocre 50, mainly the production is the value of 50's album, his lyrics are pretty much a joke, yet it's still better than any of the snap stuff at least lol.

Written By: whistledog on 09/22/07 at 12:15 am

They both suck.  When will someone good outsell them both?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/22/07 at 1:28 am

My dog could outsell 50 Cent!
::)

Written By: Henk on 09/22/07 at 1:41 am

My dog could outsell 50 Cent!
::)

I dare you... ::)

Which album are you going to get, or are you going to get both?

I can think of better ways of wasting spending my money. :P

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 09/22/07 at 1:44 am

they couldn't pay me to accept either one of these CDs. I have zero interest in them

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/22/07 at 1:46 am

I dare you... ::)

Actually, I was lying.
:-\\
I don't have a dog.
I'd have to go out and buy a dog, and then he could outsell 50 Cent!

they couldn't pay me to accept either one of these CDs. I have zero interest in them

I dunno, you can always turn 'em over and use 'em for coasters, cut lines on them, or whatever...
:P

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 09/22/07 at 1:51 am

Actually, I was lying.
I don't have a dog.
I dunno, you can always turn 'em over and use 'em for coasters, cut lines on them, or whatever...
:P
sure, many uses for their CDs, I'd like a boxfull to use for skeet shooting.  this sounds like a thread could be made on the many different uses for their CDs besides listening.

Written By: Henk on 09/22/07 at 1:52 am

Actually, I was lying.
I don't have a dog.

Backing down, are we...?

...I still dare you! :P ;)

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 09/23/07 at 6:04 pm

There both pretty horrible. Hopefully 50 Cent will honor his promise and stop making records if he winds up being outsold(though I'm not holding my breath,lol)

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/23/07 at 6:13 pm

All due respect intended here, but some of the sentiments in this thread are exactly what I'm talking about regarding blanket statements. I notice alot of classic rockers and Gen Xers do this with especially rap and '90s music. Anything from 1989+ really, seems to be kinda lost on them, so maybe I can see why. Personally I'm not too much of a rap/hip hop fan (outside some individual songs) and everyone's entitled to their own tastes, but I'd never totally trash an entire genre of music.

That said, I probably won't buy either, but I do like "Hey Ya", so I guess I'm a teeny bit of a Kanye fan. I do think he's one of the better hip hoppers out there, even if I don't really listen to it much. 50 Cent on the other hand? I could care less. In fact, the sooner he's a hasbeen the better, lol.

Written By: danootaandme on 09/23/07 at 6:27 pm

All due respect intended here, but some of the sentiments in this thread are exactly what I'm talking about regarding blanket statements. I notice alot of classic rockers and Gen Xers do this with especially rap and '90s music. Anything from 1989+ really, seems to be kinda lost on them, so maybe I can see why. Personally I'm not too much of a rap/hip hop fan (outside some individual songs) and everyone's entitled to their own tastes, but I'd never totally trash an entire genre of music.

That said, I probably won't buy either, but I do like "Hey Ya", so I guess I'm a teeny bit of a Kanye fan. I do think he's one of the better hip hoppers out there, even if I don't really listen to it much. 50 Cent on the other hand? I could care less. In fact, the sooner he's a hasbeen the better, lol.

Exactly right.  There is something good in every genre and people who make blank statements about any form are listening with closed minds.

Written By: Haynsoul on 09/23/07 at 11:35 pm

I think that's kind of weird since Gen X are the ones responsible for the pop culture in the 90's and even up to now.

Written By: Red Ant on 09/24/07 at 1:49 am

I'm glad Kanye West outsold 50 Cent. I don't want to listen to another KW rant:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YjBwyCizZo

He should feel honored he didn't win a MutilatedTV award... it shows he has talent...

I heard he will not work with MTV again... YAY! Also, if 50 Cent stops recording and quits promoting S***ja Boy... DOUBLE YAY!.

(Ya B*tch and Doo Doo Head are the worst two songs of the decade, hands downs)

Ant

Written By: Jessica on 09/24/07 at 9:47 am

I used to love Kanye West. I thought it was great how he pulled himself out of the crap he found himself in, survived a near fatal car wreck, and then went on to sell a bunch of music. Now though....I just don't like him. He became a pompous ass who whines like a two year old if he doesn't get his way.

Although I still love "Gold Digger." That song is fantastic.

I like 50 Cent's music as well. I have his first album and still listen to it, much to the chagrin of Rice. ;D

Written By: JoeMoe on 09/25/07 at 3:22 am

They both suck.  When will someone good outsell them both?

WE NEED A MUSICAL REVALUTION TO GET RID OF CRAP MUSIC LIKE THIS!!!!!!  Darn (C)rap music!!!!

Written By: Brian06 on 09/25/07 at 4:18 am

I'm quite indifferent on rap, in general I don't really like it that much but I do enjoy well produced hip-hop. However I am open minded and I know why it is liked and sometimes even I get into some of those crappy guilty pleasure hip-hop songs. Kanye doesn't "suck", he's overrated but he's not too bad, not everybody has to like him but he's certainly not garbage. 50 cent makes party music and isn't really meant to be some kind of genius, people over-analyze pop music when in reality it's meant to be fun stuff and not a genius artistic work. Some people music that maybe seemingly meaningless, yet it's also catchy and fun in a stupid way. Some people just happen to like that kind of music, lol. There's plenty of '80s pop that is in essence the same idea (party music) of course it was different then but the idea of the stuff was still fun and not "quality", and now some of this stuff has been christened as "great" when it in reality was far from it (keep in mind I like a lot of this music too because like I said I can appreciate music that may suck in reality yet it's still enjoyable). I've often ranted about this before because there is a lot of pop from this decade that I do enjoy that has been called garbage around here by some rather closed minded people, doesn't really bother me but really why are some people so bothered by some stupid music, listen to the stuff YOU think is great and just ignore the stuff you don't like and let it be that. Rap is crap posts are so stupid and immature, it's like a rap fan could say "rock is a crock", lmao, stupid I know but that's the point.

Written By: coqueta83 on 09/25/07 at 7:22 pm

I figured Kanye's CD will outsell 50 Cent. I don't dislike these guys, I just don't particularly care for either of them.

Written By: tv on 09/26/07 at 1:05 pm

I used to love Kanye West. I thought it was great how he pulled himself out of the crap he found himself in, survived a near fatal car wreck, and then went on to sell a bunch of music. Now though....I just don't like him. He became a pompous ass who whines like a two year old if he doesn't get his way.

Although I still love "Gold Digger." That song is fantastic.

I think Kanye's a great artist I really do but your right he does whine too much but I can deny how good of an artist he is. I mean "Stronger" is a good song and "Can;t Tell Me Nothing" is great.

As for 50 I canlt stand most of his work but "21 Questions" was good from 2003 as well as "Hate It Or Love It" with him callobarting with ex-G-Unit artist "The Game". "Follow My Lead" by 50 Cent with Robin Thicke sounds good and a lot different from 50's other stuff.

Written By: tv on 09/26/07 at 1:13 pm

I think that's kind of weird since Gen X are the ones responsible for the pop culture in the 90's and even up to now.
No way I have to say Gen Y is totallty responible for a popularity of a 50 Cent. The Gen Yers made the whole teen-pop era blow up that strarted with Hanson, Backstreet Boys, and the Spice Girls in 1997. The teen-pop era blew up with Britney in 1999 basically because of the Gen Yers the Gen Xers have nothing to do with a popularity of a Britney Spears. The early Gen Xers hate the 90;s too and put their 80's experience onto a pedestol.

I think  the Gen Xers are responsible for pop culture up until 1996 and 1997-1998 were combo Gen Y/ Gen X years but once Britney came out Gen X cuture came to a halt I think.

Written By: Haynsoul on 09/27/07 at 12:49 am

No way I have to say Gen Y is totallty responible for a popularity of a 50 Cent. The Gen Yers made the whole teen-pop era blow up that strarted with Hanson, Backstreet Boys, and the Spice Girls in 1997. The teen-pop era blew up with Britney in 1999 basically because of the Gen Yers the Gen Xers have nothing to do with a popularity of a Britney Spears. The early Gen Xers hate the 90;s too and put their 80's experience onto a pedestol.

I think  the Gen Xers are responsible for pop culture up until 1996 and 1997-1998 were combo Gen Y/ Gen X years but once Britney came out Gen X cuture came to a halt I think.

I was talking about most of the pop stars and rappers out right now and the people promoting them are still Gen Xers. So were most of the early 90's artists. We're the ones who made them popular though (in 2000's music).

Written By: tv on 09/27/07 at 7:38 am

I was talking about most of the pop stars and rappers out right now and the people promoting them are still Gen Xers. So were most of the early 90's artists. We're the ones who made them popular though (in 2000's music).
No I think the people that buy the music or listen to the music are the one that make it popular not the people that promote it.

Check for new replies or respond here...