inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: How much has changed since 2005?

Written By: batfan2005 on 09/21/07 at 3:49 pm

How much would you say has changed around this same time of the year 2 years ago? As far as pop-culture, trends, technology, political/social climate, or your personal life?

For pop-culture, not much has changed. Other threads have mentioned how hip-hop has declined since '05, but I think the decline reversed in 2007 since artists like T.I., Kanye West, and 50 Cent all released albums this year. The latest billboard charts have been dominated by rap/snap hits.

Technology wise, 2006 became more High Def with the first releases of HD DVD and Blu Ray, and the Nintendo Wii's motion control was a new style of gaming. In 2007, Windows Vista and the iPhone came out. Other than that, we haven't really seen a huge advance in technology.

As far as fashion trends go, I'm not too sure since I don't really pay much attention. I still wear clothes I had in the early 00's or even late 90's, though I did buy a pair of plaid shorts this past summer. I did notice retro 80's styles becoming big, especially with girls.

Politically and socially - and increase in pessimism and less hope for our future, especially with the war in Iraq and the weakening U.S. economy. 

Subject: Re: How much has changed since 2005?

Written By: batfan2005 on 09/21/07 at 4:00 pm

I forgot to mention about movies and TV shows as part of pop-culture, since I tend to focus on music trends. The type of movies that have been released are about the same as '05, a lot of remakes, sequels, and reboots, a lot of Judd Apatow comedies, and comic book movies which have been the trend of this decade, and oh yeah, penguin movies. For TV shows, a lot of the shows that premiered in '05 have already been cancelled, like Stacked and The War At Home. Those are shows that I really like too. Other shows from then are still around and popular, like The Office, Prison Break, Gray's Anatomy, and Mind of Mencia. There haven't been too many good new shows since then, other than Heroes. Some new series premiering in the upcoming weeks look interesting though, especially Journeyman.

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/21/07 at 4:04 pm

I agree with all of your list, actually. I know what you mean about '80ish fashions. I started noticing the return of Izod style shirts around late 2005 or early last year too. Technology like the iPhone is sorta just improvements or extensions of early-mid '00s stuff, like the original cameraphones or ipods.

P.S. I liked The War at Home from the few episodes I saw myself. It does seem like alot of those shows don't last as long now. The '90s were much more sitcom-oriented, as opposed to hourlong dramas and reality shows.

Written By: sonikuu on 09/21/07 at 5:34 pm

Some things have changed from 2005, others haven't.

As far as music, goes, I've noticed that dance-ish music, like Timbaland, Justin Timberlake, and Nelly Furtado has in many ways outclassed Rap on the charts, so much so that Rap is now borrowing from the genre, such as Kanye West's "Stronger" sampling Daft Punk and 50 Cent's latest single being Timbaland produced and featuring Justin Timberlake.  I think that while Hip-Hop's decline has somewhat reversed in 2007, it is nowhere near as popular as it was in 2005.  One look at the charts, as well as the amount of Rap songs hitting number one, show that.  Also keep in mind the 30% (I believe thats the number) decline in rap album sales while sales of other albums have only declined about 15%.  Also, at the latest MTV Video Music Awards, not a single rapper won an award and there were more Rock performances than Rap performances (half of the Rap performances were Kanye West anyway).  Rap is losing popularity to dance music and is starting to take influences from it, a trend I think will continue into the next two years.

Rock music, I definitely think Emo is on the downslope.  Heck, "Pop-Emo" like Fall Out Boy seems to be more popular than actual Emo right now and even then, its position of the Rock charts isn't as dominant as a lot of people like to think it is.  Rock music seems to have changed the least though, because a lot of older rock bands like Incubus and Foo Fighters are still maintaining their popularity.

Movie-wise, I don't notice much of a change at all, to be honest.  Tv shows haven't changed too much either, although Heroes is defintely a great new show that has become a favorite of mine, especially after 24's latest season, which was atrocious.  Reality tv is experiencing a decline in popularity, but this decline started in 2005 anyway.  Technology-wise, not much has really changed to be honest, as everything is just improvements on 2005-esque technology and even stuff like the iphone is lacking some basic functions that other phones have (http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=iphone.  Warning: language).  Blu-ray and HD-DVD are out, but both are just niches at this point.  Honestly, the only big shift in technology has been in video games, with the Nintendo Wii's motion sensing controller being completely different than any controller before it.

Written By: tv on 09/21/07 at 5:53 pm

Funny I was think of posting something like this but somebody beat me to the punch but isn't funny how artists like T-Pain, Akon, The Pussycatt Dolls and Rihanna all came out within 1-2 months of each other in mid 2005. I mean Akon was featured on "Locked Up"
by rapper Styles(formely of the late 90's rap group "The Lox") but Akon didn;t really get popular until he released "Lonely" in mid 2005.

I would say rap has changed since late 2005 because snap-rap wasn't around in early 2005.

As far as Tv shows go is it just me or has the genre of game shows increased a whole lot in the last year or so and reality TV is on the steep decilne(but has been for since 2004 I think) and getting replaced by game shows.

Written By: tv on 09/21/07 at 6:07 pm

Some things have changed from 2005, others haven't.

As far as music, goes, I've noticed that dance-ish music, like Timbaland, Justin Timberlake, and Nelly Furtado has in many ways outclassed Rap on the charts, so much so that Rap is now borrowing from the genre, such as Kanye West's "Stronger" sampling Daft Punk and 50 Cent's latest single being Timbaland produced and featuring Justin Timberlake.  I think that while Hip-Hop's decline has somewhat reversed in 2007, it is nowhere near as popular as it was in 2005.  One look at the charts, as well as the amount of Rap songs hitting number one, show that.  Also keep in mind the 30% (I believe thats the number) decline in rap album sales while sales of other albums have only declined about 15%.  Also, at the latest MTV Video Music Awards, not a single rapper won an award and there were more Rock performances than Rap performances (half of the Rap performances were Kanye West anyway).  Rap is losing popularity to dance music and is starting to take influences from it, a trend I think will continue into the next two years.

Rock music, I definitely think Emo is on the downslope.  Heck, "Pop-Emo" like Fall Out Boy seems to be more popular than actual Emo right now and even then, its position of the Rock charts isn't as dominant as a lot of people like to think it is.  Rock music seems to have changed the least though, because a lot of older rock bands like Incubus and Foo Fighters are still maintaining their popularity.

Movie-wise, I don't notice much of a change at all, to be honest.  Tv shows haven't changed too much either, although Heroes is defintely a great new show that has become a favorite of mine, especially after 24's latest season, which was atrocious.  Reality tv is experiencing a decline in popularity, but this decline started in 2005 anyway.  Technology-wise, not much has really changed to be honest, as everything is just improvements on 2005-esque technology and even stuff like the iphone is lacking some basic functions that other phones have (http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=iphone.  Warning: language).  Blu-ray and HD-DVD are out, but both are just niches at this point.  Honestly, the only big shift in technology has been in video games, with the Nintendo Wii's motion sensing controller being completely different than any controller before it.
Ah rock music hasn't changed much since 2002 except for the EMO trend but EMO seems more pop than actual rock to me.

Wow MTV had more rock music performances than rap performances! I'm surprised MTV even knows what rock music is anymore since every time I turn on MTV 2 they are showing stupid rap videos(with the exception of Kanye West and Common.)

Your saying rap music is taking influences from dance music wasn't it the other way around in the early 90's in that dance music was taking influences from rap music?

Is it just me or did hip-hop's dip in popularity get reversed in March of this year when "This Is Why I;m Hot" and "Buy U A Drank" came out?

Written By: sonikuu on 09/21/07 at 6:40 pm

Ah rock music hasn't changed much since 2002 except for the EMO trend but EMO seems more pop than actual rock to me.

Wow MTV had more rock music performances than rap performances! I'm surprised MTV even knows what rock music is anymore since every time I turn on MTV 2 they are showing stupid rap videos(with the exception of Kanye West and Common.)

Your saying rap music is taking influences from dance music wasn't it the other way around in the early 90's in that dance music was taking influences from rap music?

Is it just me or did hip-hop's dip in popularity get reversed in March of this year when "This Is Why I;m Hot" and "Buy U A Drank" came out?

The VMAs had more Rock performances than Rap performances this year as well as last year, at least on the initial broadcast.  On subsequent broadcasts of this year's awards, they've been mixing things up, showing performances in the suites (which made up the bulk of the performances) that they didn't show the first time around, so I have no clue what the ratio is on the re-broadcasts.  Also, MTV2 I think places a large emphasis on Rap because they have that Sucker Free Sunday thing where the whole day is all Hip Hop.  Remember when MTV2 was good?

About the dance music thing...I suppose its sort of a two way street.  Rap music is taking influences from dance music, but modern dance music also took influences from Rap music, as Nelly Furtado's "Promiscuous" and Timbaland's "The Way I Are" will attest.  However, it was clearly a different style of music.  Rap music is taking dance influences, but is still remaining clearly Rap.

As for Hip Hop's popularity, it is more popular now than it was in the second half of 2006, but it still does not come close to its 2003-2005 popularity, where whole weeks could go by with the top ten songs being nothing but Rap.  I think R&B is actually more popular than Hip-Hop right now.  T-Pain seems more R&B than Hip Hop to me, Beyonce had a big hit this year with "Irreplaceable", and Akon has definitely hit it big and with the exception of "Smack That", all his hit singles have been R&B style ballads like "Don't Matter" and "I Wanna Love You".  R&B takes a lot of influence from Rap these days though, so they can sometimes be confused, especially since they tend to play on the same stations.

Written By: whistledog on 09/22/07 at 1:49 am

why 2005 though ?  Wouldn't a better debate be how much has changed in the last 10 or 20 years ?

2 years isn't really enough of a time to really debate how things have changed

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 09/22/07 at 4:33 pm

I agree with everythings that's been said. There have been some changes since 2005, but certainly nothing dramatic. Obviously there have been some technological changes since then, but as others have said, those changes are mostly just updates of things that were already around back in '05.

Rap's popularity may have made a slight comeback this year, but overall It's still in a decline, and not nearly as popular as it was in 2005.

Written By: Brian06 on 09/25/07 at 4:38 am

I know pop music well and I don't really think hip-hop ever really dipped in popularity, except for maybe a very short period centering around the spring of 2005 when you had Green Day and Kelly Clarkson really making a huge splash, however that was very short lived by the fall of 05 it was the same and hip-hop probably got more popular and also got worse. Now keep in mind I'm talking about pop music in the United States, I know it's very different in Europe where hip-hop is not even close to as popular as here. Album sales are down, but nobody cares, you think the kids that like rap are out buying albums, no way, they're downloading the songs off limewire or itunes if they feel guilty downloading for free. Pop charts and itunes top downloads or even say myspace top artists are mostly hip-hop style stuff. "Emo" and any kind of rock (except for some of your typical lame bands like Nickelback) is barely visible really, it clearly is just a small minority from what I can see looking at all the statistics. Pop music is clearly a hip-hop dominated world...that's just the facts.

Written By: Elko on 09/25/07 at 10:54 am

Well is it only me or did Rihanna's latest style sound more like pop than R&B? Personaly, I prefer her latest songs to her first album. For me, music, movies and fashion are starting changing. Why? Maybe, because from 2003 to 2006 the trends were almost the same and now it's time for change. For example, I've noticed a decline in R&B, hip-hop and rap, in favor of pop and teen pop. Emo, hardcore and drum abd bass are also declining slowly, but constantly. I am very happy that things are changing, since I became fed up with rap and R&B. Movies are quite the same, but some of them are better. Reality TV seems losing popularity (is it only me?) and cars are becoming more beautiful. Fashion is changing, but on a very slow pace, it's almost the same as 2005-2006.

Written By: Brian06 on 09/26/07 at 5:07 am

Well is it only me or did Rihanna's latest style sound more like pop than R&B? Personaly, I prefer her latest songs to her first album. For me, music, movies and fashion are starting changing. Why? Maybe, because from 2003 to 2006 the trends were almost the same and now it's time for change. For example, I've noticed a decline in R&B, hip-hop and rap, in favor of pop and teen pop. Emo, hardcore and drum abd bass are also declining slowly, but constantly. I am very happy that things are changing, since I became fed up with rap and R&B. Movies are quite the same, but some of them are better. Reality TV seems losing popularity (is it only me?) and cars are becoming more beautiful. Fashion is changing, but on a very slow pace, it's almost the same as 2005-2006.

Rihanna is a pop artist thats why, Rihanna and R&B shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence (keep in mind I actually like Rihanna to a certain extent, she's just not R&B at all), Rihanna is slightly hip-hop influenced pop.

Written By: tv on 09/26/07 at 12:58 pm

I know pop music well and I don't really think hip-hop ever really dipped in popularity, except for maybe a very short period centering around the spring of 2005 when you had Green Day and Kelly Clarkson really making a huge splash, however that was very short lived by the fall of 05 it was the same and hip-hop probably got more popular and also got worse. Now keep in mind I'm talking about pop music in the United States, I know it's very different in Europe where hip-hop is not even close to as popular as here. Album sales are down, but nobody cares, you think the kids that like rap are out buying albums, no way, they're downloading the songs off limewire or itunes if they feel guilty downloading for free. Pop charts and itunes top downloads or even say myspace top artists are mostly hip-hop style stuff. "Emo" and any kind of rock (except for some of your typical lame bands like Nickelback) is barely visible really, it clearly is just a small minority from what I can see looking at all the statistics. Pop music is clearly a hip-hop dominated world...that's just the facts.
Hip-Hop was invisible in mid 2006 the only hip-hop song that I heard on Top 40 radio in summer of 2006 was that T-Pain and E-40 song. As for album sales Hip-Hop sales of albums have declined double the industry average so I don't think Hip-Hop is as popular as it was from 2003-early 2006 but its more popular currently than it was from maybe April 2006-Feburary 2007.

Written By: thenewtattoo on 02/13/13 at 3:44 pm

wow even in 07  ppl thought 2005 was ancient  lol

Written By: sonikuu on 02/15/13 at 12:28 am

What's with people on inthe00s and their serious gravedigging obsession?

Written By: Howard on 02/15/13 at 6:28 am

What do you mean?  ???

Written By: Inertia on 02/15/13 at 7:17 am

TheNewTattoo thinks he is a necromancer.

Written By: Flexible Reflex on 02/15/13 at 2:45 pm

wow even in 07  ppl thought 2005 was ancient  lol

No, no, no. If something is ancient, it is hundreds and hundreds of years old.

2005 is 8 years ago so it is dated. It won't even be old school until 2015.

Written By: Slim95 on 02/15/13 at 7:33 pm

There is no question that 2005 is dated.

Written By: TakaWuKid91 on 02/16/13 at 10:02 am

People back then didn't like the music of its time.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/17/13 at 12:42 pm

We are all 8 years older.

Written By: Howard on 02/17/13 at 12:51 pm

We are all 8 years older.

To sum it up.

Written By: sonikuu on 02/17/13 at 2:20 pm

What do you mean?  ???

There have been a number of times in the past that I can recall where a thread from 2007 or so was suddenly bumped up in the year 2012 by some random reply.

Written By: Slim95 on 02/22/13 at 1:48 pm

Lot's have changed since 2005. The last year that feels truly dated to me is 2007. Though I had many memories from 2008-2010 though. Years 2000-2007 is a totally different era than now imo.

Written By: bchris02 on 02/23/13 at 10:59 am

Lot's have changed since 2005. The last year that feels truly dated to me is 2007. Though I had many memories from 2008-2010 though. Years 2000-2007 is a totally different era than now imo.

You are right.  I believe history and culture move in eras, not necessarily decades.  Sometimes the eras can change when the decade does but it doesn't always happen like that.  In fact, the '80s is the only time in recent history I can think of where the era change exactly coincided with the changing of the decade.  The current era started in 2008 and probably will take us to at least 2020 or beyond before the next major cultural shift happens.

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 02/23/13 at 11:39 am

You are right.  I believe history and culture move in eras, not necessarily decades.  Sometimes the eras can change when the decade does but it doesn't always happen like that.  In fact, the '80s is the only time in recent history I can think of where the era change exactly coincided with the changing of the decade.  The current era started in 2008 and probably will take us to at least 2020 or beyond before the next major cultural shift happens.

I kind of agree that it's usually more about seperate eras than whole decades. Even the 80's, probably. A lot of the pop culture of 1980-1982 started around 1977.

Written By: thenewtattoo on 02/23/13 at 2:26 pm

2003-early 2008  one  era        late 2008-2012 another

Written By: Slim95 on 02/24/13 at 4:36 pm

2003-early 2008  one  era        late 2008-2012 another

It's all relative really. An era could be 10 years or more.

Written By: thenewtattoo on 02/24/13 at 6:26 pm

It's all relative really. An era could be 10 years or more.

But in terms of eras,  thats how they go

Written By: Slim95 on 02/24/13 at 8:11 pm

But in terms of eras,  thats how they go

I don't think there's a said date. The Renaissance era was not 5 years.  :P

Written By: batfan2005 on 02/25/13 at 7:04 am

Now that 2005 is 8 years ago, we can see how much is really changed.

First with technology:

In 2005, flip phones were still big, such as the Razr. Smartphones were yet to be seen. Now in 2013 there are tables, smartwatches, and even Google Glasses. In 2005 Google wasn't much more than a search engine, and provided other web services such as Google Maps. Now, Google is replacing Microsoft in having the largest operating system (Android) to compete with Apple's iOS, especially in the tablet and smartphone market, but now Google also has the Chromebook laptop.

Video games:

Xbox 360 was released in late 2005, and was the start of the long living generation of consoles. Xbox has yet to release its successor, though it is possible to do so later this year around the same time as Playstation 4.

Politically:

Obviously different. Don't need to get too far into that.

Culturally:

In 2005 the emo culture and style was big, now its more hipsters.

Musically:

In 2005 there was a decline of hip-hop and a rise of emo and pop. Now, EDM is on a decline and there is a rise in indie rock, as well as a hip-hop revival.

One other major event to note: In 2005 Benedict became the Pope following John Paul's death, and he is resigning this year.

Written By: thenewtattoo on 02/25/13 at 1:24 pm

I agree, 2005 was the start of many changes 

Written By: Slim95 on 02/25/13 at 10:19 pm

All in all, life was completely different in the year 2005.  :P

Written By: batfan2005 on 02/26/13 at 3:52 am

I forgot to mention: social networking. In 2005 MySpace was getting popular. Around 2008, Facebook replaced it to be the main social networking site and has been going strong. I thought Google+ was going to replace FB, but that didn't happen. 2005 was the beginning of YouTube, and had yet to be owned by Google.

Written By: Howard on 02/26/13 at 6:32 am

I forgot to mention: social networking. In 2005 MySpace was getting popular. Around 2008, Facebook replaced it to be the main social networking site and has been going strong. I thought Google+ was going to replace FB, but that didn't happen. 2005 was the beginning of YouTube, and had yet to be owned by Google.

and after 8 years Youtube has over 2 billion hits a day.

Written By: Slim95 on 03/03/13 at 4:12 pm

and after 8 years Youtube has over 2 billion hits a day.

lol Howard I just noticed you changed your picture!  ;D

Written By: Howard on 03/04/13 at 6:28 am

lol Howard I just noticed you changed your picture!  ;D

Yes you like it?

Written By: Slim95 on 03/04/13 at 8:22 am

Yes you like it?

Yeah it looks like your old one just in a different position.  :)

Written By: Howard on 03/04/13 at 7:50 pm

Yeah it looks like your old one just in a different position.  :)

I took the old one a few months before.

Written By: popguru85 on 03/04/13 at 11:11 pm

I remember Myspace being Huge as in everyone had one but now I guess Facebook is the de-facto #1 social media site.

Written By: TakaWuKid91 on 03/17/13 at 2:52 am

Decline in Hip Hop? Did we live in the same decade?

Written By: Howard on 03/17/13 at 5:35 am

I remember Myspace being Huge as in everyone had one but now I guess Facebook is the de-facto #1 social media site.

Just about everyone has one.

Written By: Venomous Mask on 03/27/13 at 12:42 am

At the beginning of 2005, much of pop culture could almost be described as "post-nineties," rather than something truly unique unto itself.  That year saw the release of the first Kanye West album, and I think that signaled.  As the South and indie culture became the new centers of hip-hop, the inner city gangster chic faded.  Also, as more indie/hipster culture began to supplant emo culture, we saw major changes.  Post-grunge hard rock began to be replaced slowly on the radio by more indie rock.  Skinny jeans, not having been mainstream since the early nineties, moved out of their underground status and gradually became ubiquitous.  While vocal modification in pop songs has been around for decades, the late-2000s saw autotune becoming an all-consuming trend.  The more conservative styles of the earlier part of the decade gave way to a more cartoonish look that eventually morphed into the swag trend (for a brief time, baggy jeans were replaced in hip-hop circles by massive sweat pants, before being replaced by sagging skinny jeans).  80s mod fashions came back and took a life of their own.  Metal received a small comeback in the form of extreme metal styles, spear-headed by bands like Mastodon and the show Metalocalypse.

To sum it all up, the first half of the 2000s was largely an unbroken continuation of the trends started in the mid to late nineties.  After 2005, the culture was slowly altered into something that would have been almost completely unrecognizable a few years earlier.

Written By: Slim95 on 03/27/13 at 1:02 am

Just about everyone has one.

Everyone AND everyone's grandma.  ;D

Written By: RG1995 on 03/27/13 at 1:08 am

At the beginning of 2005, much of pop culture could almost be described as "post-nineties," rather than something truly unique unto itself.  That year saw the release of the first Kanye West album, and I think that signaled.  As the South and indie culture became the new centers of hip-hop, the inner city gangster chic faded.  Also, as more indie/hipster culture began to supplant emo culture, we saw major changes.  Post-grunge hard rock began to be replaced slowly on the radio by more indie rock.  Skinny jeans, not having been mainstream since the early nineties, moved out of their underground status and gradually became ubiquitous.  While vocal modification in pop songs has been around for decades, the late-2000s saw autotune becoming an all-consuming trend.  The more conservative styles of the earlier part of the decade gave way to a more cartoonish look that eventually morphed into the swag trend (for a brief time, baggy jeans were replaced in hip-hop circles by massive sweat pants, before being replaced by sagging skinny jeans).  80s mod fashions came back and took a life of their own.  Metal received a small comeback in the form of extreme metal styles, spear-headed by bands like Mastodon and the show Metalocalypse.

To sum it all up, the first half of the 2000s was largely an unbroken continuation of the trends started in the mid to late nineties.  After 2005, the culture was slowly altered into something that would have been almost completely unrecognizable a few years earlier.
Not really. Emo hadn't even reached it's peak yet.

Written By: Slim95 on 03/27/13 at 1:17 am

I hate how everyone says the early 2000's were just like the 90's. Late 90's maybe, but the 90's in general were very different than the early to mid 2000's in many ways.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 03/27/13 at 4:28 am

Late 90's maybe, but the 90's in general were very different than the early to mid 2000's in many ways.

That's exactly what he was saying. He was talking about trends that started in the mid/late 90s that continued into the first half of the 00s.

Written By: Venomous Mask on 03/27/13 at 11:46 am

Not really. Emo hadn't even reached it's peak yet.

Good point.  I confused it with the metalcore trend, which peaked about 2004-2005.

Written By: Venomous Mask on 03/27/13 at 11:57 am

That's exactly what he was saying. He was talking about trends that started in the mid/late 90s that continued into the first half of the 00s.

Precisely.  At the end of the seventies and eighties, we saw a clear break with the past (the backlash against disco and hair metal, respectively).  Nothing like that happened at the end of the nineties, as the dominant musical trends of bubblegum pop, post-grunge, rap, and nu-metal continued on without missing a beat.  Fashion changed pretty slowly from the end of the nineties to the middle of the 2000s.  If 9/11 hadn't happened, the 90s zeitgeist might have continued on mostly intact without missing a beat.

Written By: Inertia on 03/27/13 at 7:50 pm

This is turning into a decadeology discussion so I am locking it. Please review the rules of this site in regards to decadeology and why it is banned at the link below.

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=32990.0

Regards,

Inertia

Check for new replies or respond here...