inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Tyler Perry fans?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/22/07 at 1:14 am

Are any of you Tyler Perry fans? I just recently discovered his Madea character movies/plays...he is SO hilarious! ;D

Subject: Re: Tyler Perry fans?

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 09/22/07 at 1:44 am

the name sounds familiar  ::)

Written By: whistledog on 09/22/07 at 1:47 am

Never saw any of his movies, but I have caught a few episodes of 'House of Payne' on TBS.  It's alright

Written By: statsqueen on 09/22/07 at 10:28 am

Never saw any of his movies, but I have caught a few episodes of 'House of Payne' on TBS.  It's alright

Don't judge Tyler Perry based on the TV show!  The Madea movies are the best, but not his only thing.  He also has "Daddy's Little Girls" which is currently on DVD after a run in theatres and "Tyler Perry's Why Did I Get Married" opens Oct. 12.  Many of his movies are based on plays he did (like "Madea's Family Reunion" and "Why Did I Get Married", so you can find both versions--and the movie usually isn't like the play so it isn't like seeing the same thing twice.  I personally prefer the movies to the plays (you can see microphones, etc.) but I would recommend them all.  Some of his stuff has an openly religious tone (i.e. the play of "I Can Do Bad All By Myself"), but we just fast forward through the songs.  "Diary of a Mad Black Woman" is intense.  Shemar Moore is in a couple of them

The movie "Why Did I Get Married" has in the cast (among others I didn't recognize):  Janet Jackson, Tyler Perry, Michael Jai White, Malik Yoba (he was on "New York Undercover"), and Richard T. Jones (he was Jackson Leroy in "Renaissance Man" with Danny DeVito).

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/22/07 at 11:39 am

I've tried his food at Applebee's and it's pretty good.

Written By: Haynsoul on 09/22/07 at 6:34 pm

House of Payne is an awful sitcom...I heard his other stuff was good though.

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 09/22/07 at 7:20 pm

i might go see WDIGM, but only because Janet's in it.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 09/28/07 at 11:17 am

Madea Goes To Jail is a really funny movie. I also have the book . . . Don't Make A Black Woman Take Off Her Earrings.  House Of Payne is not as good as Tyler's Madea stuff.

Written By: statsqueen on 09/28/07 at 11:40 am

Madea Goes To Jail is a really funny movie. I also have the book . . . Don't Make A Black Woman Take Off Her Earrings.  House Of Payne is not as good as Tyler's Madea stuff.

I haven't seen MGTJ yet, but Micah said we need to get it.  I also bought her the book, which I think she read in 2 days.  You are right, HOP is not his best stuff, but ya gotta love the eye candy that is CJ (although the uncle gets on my nerves).  Also, did you notice that the woman who plays Aunt Ella is in Madea's Family Reunion (movie version, not play).

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 09/28/07 at 11:42 am

I haven't seen MGTJ yet, but Micah said we need to get it.  I also bought her the book, which I think she read in 2 days.  You are right, HOP is not his best stuff, but ya gotta love the eye candy that is CJ (although the uncle gets on my nerves).  Also, did you notice that the woman who plays Aunt Ella is in Madea's Family Reunion (movie version, not play).

Did you mean Cisely Tyson?  It's been a long time since I've seen the movie.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/28/07 at 11:42 am

Madea Goes To Jail is really great. I saw the play. I wish his plays would come to the Pittsburgh, Pa. area...I would SO go!!

Written By: statsqueen on 09/28/07 at 11:44 am

Did you mean Cisely Tyson?  It's been a long time since I've seen the movie.

No, though Cicely Tyson is in a couple of the movies.  No, (sorry I can't remember the actress's real name) Ella was one of the aunts on the porch (no name mentioned) when Madea came out to talk about how kids just need someone to listen and care (it's toward the beginning of the family reunion part of the movie).

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 09/28/07 at 11:46 am

Madea Goes To Jail is really great. I saw the play. I wish his plays would come to the Pittsburgh, Pa. area...I would SO go!!

I think he's touring again.  Yeah, I would love to see a Madea play.  Have you read his book?  OMG it's great.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/28/07 at 12:23 pm

I think he's touring again.  Yeah, I would love to see a Madea play.  Have you read his book?  OMG it's great.

no, I never have. I will have to get it sometime.

Written By: snozberries on 09/30/07 at 10:55 am

i might go see WDIGM, but only because Janet's in it.

The cast of Why Did I Get Married is going to be on Oprah on this Wed. (10/3).  Hey xSiouXBoIx- Janet's gonna be there!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/30/07 at 1:00 pm

The cast of Why Did I Get Married is going to be on Oprah on this Wed. (10/3).  Hey xSiouXBoIx- Janet's gonna be there!

oohh..I'll have to tune in! :)

Written By: statsqueen on 09/30/07 at 1:43 pm

Wish I could watch it!!!  Let me know how Malik Yoba & Richard T. Jones look, ok?  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 09/30/07 at 1:47 pm

Wish I could watch it!!!  Let me know how Malik Yoba & Richard T. Jones look, ok?   ;D

Richard T. Jones always looks hot!  ;)

Written By: statsqueen on 09/30/07 at 6:53 pm

Richard T. Jones always looks hot!  ;)

Too true!  So does Malik!!!!!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/01/07 at 2:52 pm

I saw Diary of A Mad Black Woman and Madea's Family Reunion, they are both ok films.

Written By: statsqueen on 10/01/07 at 3:56 pm

My first introduction to Tyler Perry/Madea was the play "I Can Do Bad All By Myself"....anyone else see it?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/28/07 at 9:08 pm

Has anyone seen his new movie yet? Is it good? I still want to see it soon.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/29/08 at 9:44 am

I recently rented his new movie, Why Did I Get Married?. IMO, it was one of his best movies. Janet Jackson was great in it...she's a really good actress. One thing about Tyler is that he picks some HOT/FINE looking men and women to be in his movies....well, he isn't so bad looking himself. ;)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/25/09 at 7:54 am

I recently saw Tyler Perry's new movie, Madea Goes To Jail.  I had seen the play version a few years ago..and the movie was very similiar, but IMO, better.  Keisha Knight Pulliam starred in this movie. She is a beautiful woman, and a great actress.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 02/25/09 at 9:42 am

I recently saw Tyler Perry's new movie, Madea Goes To Jail.  I had seen the play version a few years ago..and the movie was very similiar, but IMO, better.  Keisha Knight Pulliam starred in this movie. She is a beautiful woman, and a great actress.

Gotta see it.  I have the play version on DVD. :)

Written By: nicole1977 on 02/25/09 at 5:17 pm

I used to watch his plays on DVD.  He's funny as hell.  I like almost all of his plays.

Written By: statsqueen on 02/25/09 at 5:45 pm

My daughter saw it, said she would see it again so I can see it.  Have seen most of the plays/movies.  Think he is very talented.

Check for new replies or respond here...