inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: "Journeyman" (NBC Show)

Written By: NostalgiaFan on 09/24/07 at 3:14 pm

I figured since this is a show that deals with "Time Travel", it would be worthy to mention the show and that it starts tonight.  I actually got to see the first episode the other day and I thought it was great.

For all of us nostalgic people, this is the perfect show for us.  The guy randomly travels back in time to try and change the course of a person's life (I know it sounds like "Quantum Leap", but it's not quite the same) and in the first episode he travels to 3 separate times (October 1987, April 1990 and December 1997) and has to alter the events of this specific person he's supposed to watch out for.  It's really interesting and has a great twist at the end.

I also noticed that they throw in alot of pop-cultural stuff from the specific time period they are in, like certain music/songs, movie posters and fashion.

It's a great show and I just thought i'd make a post about it and maybe you all will check it out too.  It's on at 10pm (Eastern Time) on NBC. 

It comes on right after "Heroes", so it's not hard to miss  :)

Subject: Re: "Journeyman" (NBC Show)

Written By: Jessica on 09/24/07 at 3:31 pm

I figured since this is a show that deals with "Time Travel", it would be worthy to mention the show and that it starts tonight.  I actually got to see the first episode the other day and I thought it was great.

For all of us nostalgic people, this is the perfect show for us.  The guy randomly travels back in time to try and change the course of a person's life (I know it sounds like "Quantum Leap", but it's not quite the same) and in the first episode he travels to 3 separate times (October 1987, April 1990 and December 1997) and has to alter the events of this specific person he's supposed to watch out for.  It's really interesting and has a great twist at the end.

I also noticed that they throw in alot of pop-cultural stuff from the specific time period they are in, like certain music/songs, movie posters and fashion.

It's a great show and I just thought i'd make a post about it and maybe you all will check it out too.  It's on at 10pm (Eastern Time) on NBC. 

It comes on right after "Heroes", so it's not hard to miss  :)

Actually it sounds EXACTLY LIKE "Quantum Leap".

Written By: ladybug316 on 09/24/07 at 3:37 pm

Is he always himself (has the same body) when he travels back in time?  I remember Scott Bakula never knew who he would be when he made the Quantam Leap...

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 09/25/07 at 9:44 pm

It was a good show.  It has potential anyways.  There were things I could nitpick about it, but I'm glad they are at least trying out this type of drama.  I like this genre the best of them all.

Written By: NbC on 09/26/07 at 8:26 am

It looks promising.  I just hope that they have good writers that can keep the stories interesting.  It looks like it has the potential of going bad very quickly.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/26/07 at 8:28 am

It looks promising.  I just hope that they have good writers that can keep the stories interesting.  It looks like it has the potential of going bad very quickly.

Ya, I'm not going to get too attached and interested in this show because the same thing happened to a show that debuted last year. It was on the WB and it was called, Runaway. I got really into it, and they ended up giving it the boot after just a few episodes. :-\\

Written By: snozberries on 09/29/07 at 5:54 pm

I'm still on the fence about this one... I think I like but I'm the kind of person who needs exposition. I want to know why he has this ability and why other people have it too.

Although, I just saw the previews for Monday's ep and it made me laugh. The Journeyman- I can't even recall the characters name- hands a cabbie a $20 and the cabbie looks at it and says This is counterfeit. Its not even good counterfeit!"  Then they show the $20 and its one of those new, monopoly-like twenties.  Now that's funny.  ;D

Written By: batfan2005 on 09/30/07 at 2:16 pm

Yeah the first episode had me hooked. It lived up to what I was looking forward to, so I'll be watching it every Mon. night. There's supposed to be an episode where he goes back to the 1989 earthquake (all the events in the show past and present are set in San Francisco).

Written By: snozberries on 09/30/07 at 2:27 pm

Yeah the first episode had me hooked. It lived up to what I was looking forward to, so I'll be watching it every Mon. night. There's supposed to be an episode where he goes back to the 1989 earthquake (all the events in the show past and present are set in San Francisco).

I mentioned this somewhere else but maybe you can help me look and see if I am right.  When he was back in time I thought I saw someone else on the street who also seemed out of place but didn't pay much attention to it. Then we learned that his dead girlfriend isn't dead but time travelling too.  Makes me wonder how many travellers there are out there and if the person I thought I saw earlier in the show was like him (or if it was just an extra inadvertantly messing with my head)

Written By: batfan2005 on 09/30/07 at 5:00 pm

I mentioned this somewhere else but maybe you can help me look and see if I am right.  When he was back in time I thought I saw someone else on the street who also seemed out of place but didn't pay much attention to it. Then we learned that his dead girlfriend isn't dead but time travelling too.  Makes me wonder how many travellers there are out there and if the person I thought I saw earlier in the show was like him (or if it was just an extra inadvertantly messing with my head)

There were a few things that weren't explained thouroughly and confusing, like how he suddenly warped back and time and what happened to his ex-girlfriend who supposedly died 9 years ago. There was a brief moment when he ran into her and she told him she didn't get on the plane after all. Maybe she is behind the whole time travelling. I'm guessing they will explain more in the upcoming episodes.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 09/30/07 at 9:18 pm

Actually it sounds EXACTLY LIKE "Quantum Leap".

When I saw the promos I was like "WTF, this is Quantum Leap!"

But at least they tried to put a twist on it instead of just remaking an old show...see "Bionic Woman".

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 10/01/07 at 4:09 am

Doesn't it kinda make you wonder that at some point in the future, they are going to actually figure out how to time travel, and if they come back to this time period, would we even suspect? 

OK, time to confess, are any of you lot here from the future?  C'mon, you can tell me, I swear I won't tell a soul and won't get in the way of your mission. (Whatever that may be,)  :D ;D

I'm gonna have to record tonight's episode, as I probably won't be home from visiting my family yet

Written By: NostalgiaFan on 10/01/07 at 1:15 pm

Actually it's not "just like" Quantum Leap

If you remember, in Quantum Leap, Sam's mission was to jump into the bodies of other people in the past and change things as that person.  In Journeyman, the guy just plays himself the entire time.

Written By: snozberries on 10/03/07 at 5:41 pm

Actually it's not "just like" Quantum Leap

If you remember, in Quantum Leap, Sam's mission was to jump into the bodies of other people in the past and change things as that person.  In Journeyman, the guy just plays himself the entire time.

its not just like QL but it has that QL, Voyagers, Sliders vibe to it.  I liked this weeks episode much better. The difference between Journeyman and the 3 shows I just mentioned is that the other shows tell you why/how the leads journey through time. Two weeks and we're still left hanging. I need them to give me a little bit of explanation so I know what I'm suspending my belief about.  I mean Chuck is full of illogical subplot but because they told me in episode one how a human brain can become a super computer I accept it even tho I know the concept is totally far fetched.  (Plus they threw in a reference to LOST this week and it made me smile!)

Written By: snozberries on 10/06/07 at 5:34 pm

I guess I was wrong about other journeyers in the background I saw no extras who looked out of place this week which makes me think I was right it was just an extra who didn't know how to meld seamlessly into the background.

Written By: snozberries on 10/09/07 at 12:25 pm

My stupid DVR didn't record it last night and it was the earthquake one. I was at work so I missed it. It'll probably replay this weekend or I can catch it at NBC.com but was it any good?

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 10/09/07 at 12:36 pm

No.  Actually it was really pretty lame IMO.  Not nearly as good as I was hoping for.  Oh well.  :\'(

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/09/07 at 1:07 pm

I watched half of it...and then I was so tired, that I fell asleep. :-\\

Written By: batfan2005 on 10/10/07 at 9:48 pm

I just got done watching it on iTunes. I thought it was still pretty good, but slower than the first 2 episodes.

Check for new replies or respond here...