inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Songs on public soundsystems?

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/26/07 at 4:00 am

Sorry if this has been brought up before, but I've noticed those music systems in, say supermarkets play a much bigger variety of songs than an average radio station. It's usually on the fence between pop and AC, but a superior version, both in terms of selection and style (i.e. while they don't play heavy metal or hardcore hip hop, you might hear, say a lighter Van Halen or RHCP song). Lots of '80s and '90s stuff which always works for me, lol. ;)

Anyway, why do you suppose they're so much looser with playlists? Is it because they don't have the sponsors or stricter demographic that radio does? Well, there are commercials, but they're usually just one or two 30-second spots for something relating to the store itself (i.e. a sale), and much much less than a terrestrial station.

Subject: Re: Songs on public soundsystems?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/26/07 at 8:10 am

speaking of those....ah man...the store that I work at, they play the same songs over and over again. I swear, everytime I go to work...I can almost guess which ones are going to be played. I've noticed that they tend to play better songs during the day (when I've worked daylight shifts). They do, however, play some cool 70's/80's/90's songs that I either haven't ever heard of, or haven't heard in a long time. I've also discovered a few new songs/artists by just listening to the music while I work.

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/26/07 at 8:31 am

^ That's a bummer, lol. I wonder if they're just like radio stations with playlists that repeat over and over, and they just seem better to me since I only hear it in spurts? I do notice that alot of '80s songs that I used to hear on the radio in the early-mid 90s (and no longer are around, or only a teeny bit) seem to be popular around there.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/26/07 at 8:34 am

^ That's a bummer, lol. I wonder if they're just like radio stations with playlists that repeat over and over, and they just seem better to me since I only hear it in spurts? I do notice that alot of '80s songs that I used to hear on the radio in the early-mid 90s (and no longer are around, or only a teeny bit) seem to be popular around there.

yes, they do play the same set over and over. It's funny because when I go in for my evening shift..I know what songs are going to be played.  The songs don't really annoy me too much, it's the stupid commercials that they play in between them, advertising stuff for the store. They are always so cheesy. ::)

Written By: Connery on 09/30/07 at 1:55 am

The reason the same songs are played over and over is because the money was paid and as long as the payola exists, this will never change...imo. :)

Check for new replies or respond here...