inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Record Industry Changes

Written By: La Roche on 10/01/07 at 6:12 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071001/wr_nm/radiohead_dc

Radiohead have announced that their next album will be available to download and fans can name their price.

I assume this means that one could choose to pay $0.01 or $20.

To me this is an excellent idea, admittedly, I'm not a fan of Radiohead, but that's besides the points, this is an excellent move in the right direction. Based on their previous sales even if fans pay only a small amount, say $1-2 on average for the album they'll easily cover the costs incurred to produce it, with a healthy profit and they'll also reach a much wider audience, this in turn will be reflected in sales of previous albums and increased revenue from tours which could conceivably include extra dates due to a higher demand.

It's simply economics and it makes good sense.

Of course, there's nothing to say it wont backfire and everyone will pay $0.01 but that's besides the point right now, I think this is a very interesting and well thought out move.

Subject: Re: Record Industry Changes

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 10/01/07 at 6:34 pm

I heard Radiohead do an interview on NPR.  They hate the way the music industry is dealing with illegal downloading.  I find it refreshing to see musicians who still do it for the love of music.

Written By: gumbypiz on 10/02/07 at 12:07 am

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071001/wr_nm/radiohead_dc

Of course, there's nothing to say it wont backfire and everyone will pay $0.01 but that's besides the point right now, I think this is a very interesting and well thought out move.

What is interesting to note, that after all is said and done, is that even if everyone did pay $0.01 for the album, Radiohead would be getting just only a bit less than they would of from profits if a major label was handling the release.

While Radiohead is not a first time or sophomore act, many bands new on the scene would only receive pennies from the profits from the sale of their own album anyway. Most labels take a large chunk of $$ for advertising, 'promotion", packaging (etc) costs out of the price of a $18.99 CD. After they take their greedy profit, most bands only end up with pennies left over to show for their effort.

Many an upcoming band is crushed after being suckered into unfair and unscrupulous (i.e. standard) record deals that leave them broke or in debt to the very label that was going to promote them and make them rich. Often times these artists are forced by contract to make their second, & third album in the hopes of that release making enough to pay back the labels "loan" for funds to produce their "hit" albums, and make some money of their own.
But you better believe the record labels have made their money by that time, thats for sure.

A bit like indentured servitude for musicians, or modern day sharecropping for artists while the record labels (landowners) reap all the profit.
Prince had the word "slave" on his face the late '80's-90's for a reason.

If nothing else, this will give the artists more control over how their music is handled and the public more diversity in the music scene.
Glad this has finally come to pass, I'm not a big fan of Radiohead, but more power to 'em. 8)

Written By: La Roche on 10/02/07 at 7:40 am

What is interesting to note, that after all is said and done, is that even if everyone did pay $0.01 for the album, Radiohead would be getting just only a bit less than they would of from profits if a major label was handling the release.

While Radiohead is not a first time or sophomore act, many bands new on the scene would only receive pennies from the profits from the sale of their own album anyway. Most labels take a large chunk of $$ for advertising, 'promotion", packaging (etc) costs out of the price of a $18.99 CD. After they take their greedy profit, most bands only end up with pennies left over to show for their effort.

Many an upcoming band is crushed after being suckered into unfair and unscrupulous (i.e. standard) record deals that leave them broke or in debt to the very label that was going to promote them and make them rich. Often times these artists are forced by contract to make their second, & third album in the hopes of that release making enough to pay back the labels "loan" for funds to produce their "hit" albums, and make some money of their own.
But you better believe the record labels have made their money by that time, thats for sure.

A bit like indentured servitude for musicians, or modern day sharecropping for artists while the record labels (landowners) reap all the profit.
Prince had the word "slave" on his face the late '80's-90's for a reason.

If nothing else, this will give the artists more control over how their music is handled and the public more diversity in the music scene.
Glad this has finally come to pass, I'm not a big fan of Radiohead, but more power to 'em. 8)

Right, couldn't agree more!

Written By: JoeMoe on 10/04/07 at 12:01 am

Wow.  Big fan of Radiohead here, and I will guarantee that some people will pay more than $0.01, BECAUSE I'M GONNA PAY $5.00...  I know that is still cheap, but whatever!

Written By: La Roche on 10/04/07 at 7:59 am

Wow.  Big fan of Radiohead here, and I will guarantee that some people will pay more than $0.01, BECAUSE I'M GONNA PAY $5.00...  I know that is still cheap, but whatever!

Right, but that's basically the idea. It's not going to cost them much more than a few pennies per album (assuming similar sales to their last albums) so $5.00 would see a clear profit for them, but at the same time, as you say, it's cheap.. easily affordable. Most folks can afford $5.00.

Check for new replies or respond here...