inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Watching old commercials on YouTube--does that make me weird??

Written By: star500 on 10/01/07 at 10:51 pm

Lately, I just like to go on the computer, go to YouTube and watch commercials from the '80s. Sometimes even from the '60s, '70s and even the '50s. Does that make me weird? Some people think I'm weird because I like to do this. Some commercials from the '80s are really good or funny. They are way less annoying then today's commercials.

Subject: Re: Watching old commercials on YouTube--does that make me weird??

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 10/02/07 at 12:12 am

Lately, I just like to go on the computer, go to YouTube and watch commercials from the '80s. Sometimes even from the '60s, '70s and even the '50s. Does that make me weird? Some people think I'm weird because I like to do this. Some commercials from the '80s are really good or funny. They are way less annoying then today's commercials.

XD No. I know people who do this. My sister, for example.

Written By: gumbypiz on 10/02/07 at 12:20 am

No, not at all. I've spent a hour or two looking at old ads from the '70's & before on YouTube and other sites.
I especially like watching old car ads, the contrast to todays cars and advertising slogans/campaigns are like night and day.

Just like any other kind of media, the nostalgic aspect of the old tv ads, remind and bring us back to a more familiar and simpler time.
Who doesn't enjoy that?

Written By: coqueta83 on 10/02/07 at 12:33 am

I don't think you're weird at all. I love watching old commercials too.  :)

Written By: ladybug316 on 10/02/07 at 6:39 am

You're not weird.  I love to see old commercials and look at the style of things.  Ya know, hair, decor and that stuff.  It brings me back...

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/02/07 at 10:20 pm

No, It doesn't.

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/02/07 at 10:23 pm

I think pre-2002 or so commercials were way, way more entertaining. Things like junk food, song jingles, or "caricatures" (i.e. the Taco Bell dog) don't seem nearly as common now. I like both commercials that I actually remember firsthand, as well as checking ones that I haven't seen. So no it's not weird. :)

Written By: woops on 10/02/07 at 10:55 pm

No

I used to enjoy vintage commercials when they were shown on TV Land and I have a DVD featuring old commercials, though most in bad quality.

Written By: Brian06 on 10/02/07 at 10:58 pm

No of course not, I've looked some up online myself and watched them. They can be quite cool to watch, just to see the differences and stuff.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/03/07 at 12:13 am

XD No. I know people who do this. My sister, for example.

yep, that would be me! :) I love looking at old commercials, etc. :)

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 10/03/07 at 10:58 am

Not at all. I watch commercials and old shows from the '80s and '90s all the time on Youtube. I even have some old tapes that were recorded off television in the '80s and '90s that I watch sometimes just for the commercials.

Written By: snozberries on 10/03/07 at 3:18 pm

i do it all the time too  I think that's why we're all pop culture fanatics we just absorb all we can besides, I agree with Marty McFly commercials were far more entertaining than they are now.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 10/03/07 at 5:30 pm

That's one of the most fun things to do on YouTube. I love watching old '60s, '70s, '80s and even '90s commercials. Heck, it's hard enough to find your old favorite TV shows online or elsewhere, so at least you can watch commercials for them  ;D Or for your favorite products.

Written By: coqueta83 on 10/03/07 at 8:42 pm

I also get a kick out of watching NBC, ABC, and CBS promos from the 70's and 80's on YouTube.  :)

Check for new replies or respond here...