inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Desperate Housewives' Teri Hatcher is a no-good racist!

Written By: lpg_unit on 10/03/07 at 6:12 am

That Teri Hatcher twit is dissing my fellow Filipino denizens recently... I should have boycotted DH because of this foul mouthed moron; if she's in the place of one of the doctors, being dissed by some arrogant, show-off actress, would she be happy?

Subject: Re: Desperate Housewives' Teri Hatcher is a no-good racist!

Written By: danootaandme on 10/03/07 at 7:53 am

That Teri Hatcher twit is dissing my fellow Filipino denizens recently... I should have boycotted DH because of this foul mouthed moron; if she's in the place of one of the doctors, being dissed by some arrogant, show-off actress, would she be happy?

Sooooo, what did she say?

Written By: Red Ant on 10/03/07 at 8:11 am

http://pinoyambisyoso.com/?p=215

"Okay, before we go any further, can I check those diplomas? Coz I would just like to make sure they are not from some med school in the Philippines."

I think branding Hatcher a racist because she read a line from a script is a bit overboard.

Ant

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 10/03/07 at 8:19 am

I don't like Desperate Housewives, never did, never will.  As for Teri Hatcher everyone on that set has said she's a bitch and hates to work with her.  As for being a racist.  Nope that doesn't shock me.

Written By: Jessica on 10/03/07 at 9:44 am

"Okay, before we go any further, can I check those diplomas? Coz I would just like to make sure they are not from some med school in the Philippines."

I think branding Hatcher a racist because she read a line from a script is a bit overboard.

Ant

As much as I dislike her, I have to agree. You can't kill the messenger or something like that. I'd be smacking the crap out of the writers though. :P

Written By: whistledog on 10/03/07 at 9:44 am

"I can't believe that Penny would say things like that.  She's a sweet innocent girl"
http://www.nerdgasmic.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/macgyver.jpg

"Lois wouldn't say anything like that.  She's not that kind of person"
http://img.search.com/thumb/8/86/DC2SUPERMAN.JPG/200px-DC2SUPERMAN.JPG

"What can I say?  It's real and spectacular.  I'm just as shocked as you are"
http://blogs.suntimes.com/scanners/sein.jpg

Written By: Marian on 10/03/07 at 12:23 pm

Surprising,since she used to work with an ethnically mixed costar.

Written By: snozberries on 10/03/07 at 5:32 pm

karma to whistledog for making me laugh.

I was mad at Michael Richards and Mel Gibson for their idiodic statements but seriously Teri Hatcher didn't make the statement, Susan did. And the only reason is because someone on Marc Cherry's writing staff either thought it was funny or knows someone who actually said something similar. That's usually where these things come from.

Written By: lpg_unit on 10/03/07 at 6:51 pm

But anyway, that was way insulting to us Filipinos; I've made a petition demanding a formal apology from them:

http://www.petitiononline.com/x311242d/petition.html

Written By: lpg_unit on 10/03/07 at 7:43 pm

And here's another one, filled with signatures from irate Filipinos:

http://www.petitiononline.com/FilABC/petition.html

Written By: limblifter on 10/03/07 at 9:35 pm

The line from the show wasn't very funny to begin with. But reading some of the peoples reactions on those other sites definately has me laughing. ;D Well, at least they aren't calling for her to be beheaded.

Written By: lpg_unit on 10/04/07 at 1:24 am

The line from the show wasn't very funny to begin with. But reading some of the peoples reactions on those other sites definately has me laughing. ;D Well, at least they aren't calling for her to be beheaded.

Comedy is comedy; you have something of a point here, but they should be careful in what they say, scripted or not, so as not to hurt anybody else's feelings...

Written By: philbo on 10/04/07 at 5:21 am

Comedy is comedy; you have something of a point here, but they should be careful in what they say, scripted or not, so as not to hurt anybody else's feelings...

Sorry, but I simply can't agree with that.  Comedy *always* hurts somebody's feelings - if you take away the possibility of offence from comedy, you'll have nothing left to laugh at.  I also think it's a shame and a ridiculous over-reaction that in the title to this thread you accuse Teri Hatcher of being a racist because her character (in Desperate Housewives of all things.. I mean, come on - these women are petty, small-minded and superficial to the nth degree.  It would be more of a surprise if they *weren't* racist) says something.

Calling somebody a racist in this day and age is a very loaded accusation, and in Teri Hatcher's case probably libellous, given that it was scripted rather than personal opinion.

The worst, most cutting.. most damaging, even.. thing that you could say about the line was that it wasn't funny.  Which it wasn't (but having never watched the show, I wouldn't know whether these sorts of lines are supposed to be gags followed by canned laughter, or simply an insight into a character's superficial nature).

Written By: robby76 on 10/04/07 at 5:52 am

D' Housewives is a dramedy and has always put itself across as one. Gags like that should be taken with a pinch of salt.

I understand the grumblings but people should also learn to laugh at themselves and not take themselves too seriously. It's how we live and how we get by. I am of mixed race... Asian / European and I would've laughed right along.

In the UK, comedies like Good Gracious Me - where British Asians make parodies of themselves - have done wonders to bridge some of the racial gap. If anything, by kicking up such a fuss about this DH issue, it's doing your community more hurt than good.

Written By: snozberries on 10/04/07 at 8:33 am

D' Housewives is a dramedy and has always put itself across as one. Gags like that should be taken with a pinch of salt.

I understand the grumblings but people should also learn to laugh at themselves and not take themselves too seriously. It's how we live and how we get by. I am of mixed race... Asian / European and I would've laughed right along.

In the UK, comedies like Good Gracious Me - where British Asians make parodies of themselves - have done wonders to bridge some of the racial gap. If anything, by kicking up such a fuss about this DH issue, it's doing your community more hurt than good.

I can understand that its offensive but really it seems like society's tolerance is getting shorter every year. We are painting ourselves into such a tight corner of political correctness that no one can say anything anymore without someone else taking offense to it. I hate that we still perpetrate stereotypes that were established decades ago. Asians smart, Blacks athletic, Mexicans labor, White privileged but they continue to do this. If I boycotted something every time I experienced there wouldn't be much that I could support. I think we need to pick and choose our battles.  You know that whole Rosie O'Donnell debacle when they said Rosie made fun of the Chinese by imitating them on the View. I'm going to say its right but many people have strung certain words or sounds together with an affected accent to portray another culture. Sometimes it has to be taken in context. She was not trying to make fun of the Chinese or insult them . She was talking about how the world stops because of celebrity news and suddenly the important things (like war & politics) take a back seat. She was imaging that in China some news reporter would lead with a Danny Devito story rather than relevant news. If anything she was insulting (rightfully) the media obsessed US not the Chinese. BUT I DIGRESS.... 

Would anyone be offended if Susan (not Teri) had said "Those diplomas aren't from Mexico are they?" Probably not because somewhere in our culture it has been established that if you don't get into med school in the US then you can get a 'second rate' degree in Mexico. I don't know if this is true because I have never gone to med school (and don't want to go) its just I have seen many shows that make this statement. Maybe desperate housewives was just trying to find a new spin on it. Obviously they missed. If filipinos want an apology they should get one. But I think we all need to grow a thicker skin and choose our battles more carefully. 

Written By: statsqueen on 10/04/07 at 1:05 pm

Does this help?  If you can't open the link, it is on msn.com in the Entertainment section "ABC apologizes for 'Housewives' joke"

http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=278256&GT1=7702

Written By: snozberries on 10/04/07 at 3:35 pm

works for me...

Written By: Marian on 10/04/07 at 4:21 pm

I agree.The characters are kind of a satire of what goes on in real life.if you were a character on that show,I would say racial comments would be the least of your worries.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 10/04/07 at 7:48 pm

I can understand that its offensive but really it seems like society's tolerance is getting shorter every year. We are painting ourselves into such a tight corner of political correctness that no one can say anything anymore without someone else taking offense to it. I hate that we still perpetrate stereotypes that were established decades ago. Asians smart, Blacks athletic, Mexicans labor, White privileged but they continue to do this. If I boycotted something every time I experienced there wouldn't be much that I could support. I think we need to pick and choose our battles.  You know that whole Rosie O'Donnell debacle when they said Rosie made fun of the Chinese by imitating them on the View. I'm going to say its right but many people have strung certain words or sounds together with an affected accent to portray another culture. Sometimes it has to be taken in context. She was not trying to make fun of the Chinese or insult them . She was talking about how the world stops because of celebrity news and suddenly the important things (like war & politics) take a back seat. She was imaging that in China some news reporter would lead with a Danny Devito story rather than relevant news. If anything she was insulting (rightfully) the media obsessed US not the Chinese. BUT I DIGRESS.... 

Would anyone be offended if Susan (not Teri) had said "Those diplomas aren't from Mexico are they?" Probably not because somewhere in our culture it has been established that if you don't get into med school in the US then you can get a 'second rate' degree in Mexico. I don't know if this is true because I have never gone to med school (and don't want to go) its just I have seen many shows that make this statement. Maybe desperate housewives was just trying to find a new spin on it. Obviously they missed. If filipinos want an apology they should get one. But I think we all need to grow a thicker skin and choose our battles more carefully. 
Karma +1
let's not forget that it would be the end of blonde jokes, female jokes, male jokes and almost every truly funny joke out there. ::)

They should've used the Dominican Republic, where a few medical schools have been shut down for giving bogus Medical degrees ;)

Written By: snozberries on 10/06/07 at 1:42 pm

Karma +1
let's not forget that it would be the end of blonde jokes, female jokes, male jokes and almost every truly funny joke out there. ::)

They should've used the Dominican Republic, where a few medical schools have been shut down for giving bogus Medical degrees ;)

thanks...

btw you left fat jokes off your list.  As a large black woman hearing fat jokes can hurt as much as being called certain derogatory names

Written By: gumbypiz on 10/06/07 at 3:58 pm

I'm sorry but I think this entire thread is a bit ridiculous.

Calling an actor/actress a racist because of what was said in a scripted tv show is simply bizarre.

Think now, would we have boycotted Carol O'Connor for all the (obviously more) racists things that Archie Bunker said? Or George Jefferson?

If we are to get upset every time we hear an charter says something we don't like or feel offended by, well we need to stop watching TV, listening to the radio or going to the movies. 

If your intellect is so easily offended then Desperate Housewives should certainly not be on your viewing schedule.  ::) 
Whatever you do don't watch South Park or Family Guy...

Written By: statsqueen on 10/06/07 at 4:18 pm

Calling an actor/actress a racist because of what was said in a scripted tv show is simply bizarre.

Think now, would we have boycotted Carol O'Connor for all the (obviously more) racists things that Archie Bunker said? Or George Jefferson?

If we are to get upset every time we hear an charter says something we don't like or feel offended by, well we need to stop watching TV, listening to the radio or going to the movies. 

If your intellect is so easily offended then Desperate Housewives should certainly not be on your viewing schedule.  ::) 

Well said.  Not only are these characters superficial, but Teri Hatcher's character is probably the most irritating of them all (not to suggest they all aren't to some degree).  Does anyone else think the writing has declined since the show's inception?

Written By: snozberries on 10/06/07 at 5:11 pm

Well said.  Not only are these characters superficial, but Teri Hatcher's character is probably the most irritating of them all (not to suggest they all aren't to some degree).  Does anyone else think the writing has declined since the show's inception?

It must have I stopped watching halfway through season two and I don't miss it all.... ask around I am an admitted TV addict I watch almost everything so for me to stop watching show means it must not be thatgood!

Written By: statsqueen on 10/06/07 at 7:23 pm

It must have I stopped watching halfway through season two and I don't miss it all.... ask around I am an admitted TV addict I watch almost everything so for me to stop watching show means it must not be thatgood!

I think we're going to give it up.  This season has started out so ridiculously.  I shouldn't get frustrated watching a tv show.  So far, I just want to shake some sense into every character.  The storylines are ridiculous this season (and we are only, what, two or three weeks into it?).  There has to be something else on during this timeslot.

Written By: snozberries on 10/07/07 at 10:45 am

I think we're going to give it up.  This season has started out so ridiculously.  I shouldn't get frustrated watching a tv show.  So far, I just want to shake some sense into every character.  The storylines are ridiculous this season (and we are only, what, two or three weeks into it?).  There has to be something else on during this timeslot.

I watch Cold Case. The only thing annoying about Cold Case (besides the fact it'll probably never make it to DVD because music licensing issues) is that sometimes the writers channel the speech pattern from NYPD Blue. One episode everyone will talk normal and in the next they speak in that specific fragmented vocal pattern (that I hated) on NYPD Blue. I'm convinced some of the old Blue writers found jobs at CC.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/08/07 at 1:14 am

You mean, as opposed to a "good racist"?
:o

Written By: Marian on 10/09/07 at 2:03 pm

I thought he was being sarcastic.

Written By: lpg_unit on 10/09/07 at 5:26 pm

And the doctors are now suing ABC, Hatcher and the DH crew for the libelous statement, scripted or not...

Written By: Red Ant on 10/09/07 at 8:10 pm

And the doctors are now suing ABC, Hatcher and the DH crew for the libelous statement, scripted or not...

And they'll lose. There's many defintions of libel (and slander, which applies to speech rather than writing), none of which cover her statement.

"The statement(s) alleged to be defamatory must also be a false statement of fact. That which is name-calling, hyperbole, or, however characterized, cannot be proven true or false, cannot be the subject of a libel or slander claim.

Source

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/libel

"Okay, before we go any further, can I check those diplomas? Coz I would just like to make sure they are not from some med school in the Philippines." - that is an opinion, or preference, not an untrue statement against Philipino doctors.

I would think any potential lawyer for this suit would be able to find in 5 minutes the same things I did and realize they have no case whatsoever.

Ant

Written By: philbo on 10/10/07 at 1:11 am

I would think any potential lawyer for this suit would be able to find in 5 minutes the same things I did and realize they have no case whatsoever.

What, and pass up the fees and the high profile?

Written By: Macphisto on 10/12/07 at 10:38 pm

Ant

Exactly

This is the Philippines we're talking about here.  If you had a choice of doctors to go to, and all of them were going to charge about the same for an appointment or some kind of treatment and you had their education records in front of you, wouldn't you favor the ones who have been to a decent American school over the ones who have been to a decent Filipino one?  I would.

TV show writers generally try to be consistent in how their characters act.  This seems pretty consistent with her character, so what's the big deal anyway?

Written By: Red Ant on 10/12/07 at 10:56 pm

Exactly

This is the Philippines we're talking about here.  If you had a choice of doctors to go to, and all of them were going to charge about the same for an appointment or some kind of treatment and you had their education records in front of you, wouldn't you favor the ones who have been to a decent American school over the ones who have been to a decent Filipino one?  I would.

TV show writers generally try to be consistent in how their characters act.  This seems pretty consistent with her character, so what's the big deal anyway?

Thanks.  8)

But, if I am to entertain a hypothetical "all things being equal" question, there's two things to consider: One, if all things are equal, then it's a coin flip situation, in theory. In reality, I'd pick the doctor who is closest and could save my life, regardless of nationality. If things aren't equal (which is most of the time), it gets more complicated. I can't say Philippine doctors, as a whole or individually, are more or less qualified or experienced than their American counterparts. By default though, I'd pick an American doctor, since flying to the Philippines for medical attention isn't very practical.  ;)

Hatcher's 'joke' just wasn't very funny, and that's the biggest and only 'crime' here. To me, it didn't have the same impact as say a Mexican water quality joke would have.

I don't see the big deal myself. My guess is the people of the Philippines have much more pride than the writers of Desperate Housewives anticipated.

Ant

Written By: Macphisto on 10/12/07 at 11:28 pm

Or maybe they'd rather bitch about a TV show than fix their own country's myriad of problems.

Written By: DumbS on 10/15/07 at 5:40 pm

i don't think it's really racist ... they're just saying there's more bogus schools in second-world countries than in the US or Europe. it's that simple

Check for new replies or respond here...