inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Battle of Blu-Ray vs. HD-DVD

Written By: batfan2005 on 10/05/07 at 4:30 pm

Which of those do you own or like better? Since I have a PS3 I would have to get Blu-Ray since I don't think it supports HD-DVD's. I'm just disappointed that certain movies are only released on HD-DVD and standard, like Transformers. I don't think both will be around forever. I think that Blu-Ray will go away, while HD-DVD's will become standard. It's like when VHS and Betamax were rivals in the early 80's. Betamax was owned by Sony, which is why I think the same thing will happen to Blu-Ray.

Subject: Re: Battle of Blu-Ray vs. HD-DVD

Written By: sonikuu on 10/05/07 at 6:03 pm

Personally, I'm not buying anything until one wins over the other.

This war is something that really is ripping of the consumer.  Instead of releasing movies on both formats, studios are choosing to release movies exclusively on certain formats, with some being only on Blu-Ray and some being only on HD-DVD, meaning you have to buy both a Blu-Ray and HD-DVD player to get the movies you want.  Seriously, this is more like video game systems, where certain video games are only on certain systems, then movie formats, where you would expect movies to be on both formats.  Movie format wars shouldn't be handled like video game console wars as it does nothing but hurt the consumer, especially when console wars are seeing more and more games going multiplatform (available on all systems) while movies are becoming more exclusive (available only on one format).  Its a ripoff for the consumer and I'm not going to be a part of it.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/05/07 at 7:23 pm

Ditto, I am sticking with DVD.

Written By: coqueta83 on 10/05/07 at 7:28 pm

I intend on sticking with regular ol' DVD as well.

Written By: Red Ant on 10/05/07 at 8:50 pm

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=14500.0

So I'm for HD-DVD. Sony's proprietary crap will wind up just like their Betamax did.

Ant

Written By: whistledog on 10/05/07 at 11:17 pm

I will stick with DVD.  The way DVD is still now, Blu-Ray and HD Players as well as new technology that comes out in the future will have to be DVD compatible.  When the day comes that one of these officially suceeds DVD, I'll switch over, buyt I won't bother converting my DVDs into the newer format

Written By: snozberries on 10/06/07 at 12:12 pm

I was in a Sony outlet last month and they had split screen display between reg. DVD and Blu-ray and although Blu Ray was cleaner it wasn't worth 500 or 600 dollars. I like the image of DVD just fine.

I would tho probably buy a Blu-ray/HD combo player if they ever make one.

Written By: whistledog on 10/06/07 at 11:54 pm

I would tho probably buy a Blu-ray/HD combo player if they ever make one.

If they ever did, it would cost over $1,000 dollars, if not far more than that lol

Written By: snozberries on 10/07/07 at 10:07 am

If they ever did, it would cost over $1,000 dollars, if not far more than that lol

Nah in about 5 years they will come out with one for about 600 and then a few months later invent a totally new flashier DVD to watch!

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/08/07 at 6:02 am

Personally, I'm not buying anything until one wins over the other.

This war is something that really is ripping of the consumer.  Instead of releasing movies on both formats, studios are choosing to release movies exclusively on certain formats, with some being only on Blu-Ray and some being only on HD-DVD, meaning you have to buy both a Blu-Ray and HD-DVD player to get the movies you want.  Seriously, this is more like video game systems, where certain video games are only on certain systems, then movie formats, where you would expect movies to be on both formats.  Movie format wars shouldn't be handled like video game console wars as it does nothing but hurt the consumer, especially when console wars are seeing more and more games going multiplatform (available on all systems) while movies are becoming more exclusive (available only on one format).  Its a ripoff for the consumer and I'm not going to be a part of it.

Actually, I never quite thought about it that way, but I completely agree. Even though new technologies have always been pushed onto the market, it seems much, much more commonplace now (I really think tech has replaced immediate pop culture and fashion in a way, as far as becoming silly/outdated in 2-3 years). Not only that, but it's pretty much unnesarry, partially for the reasons you pointed out. If people have to buy multiple formats just for all different movies released onto both, what happens if one, or even both don't succeed in the longterm? Not that it matters, but I'm predicting it'll be HD, whereas Blu-rays will probably be outmoded by 2011ish or even before. It'll probably be the way laserdiscs were in the early-mid '90s...like it won't be a total flop, but won't really survive longterm either. Kind of a niche thing.

You know, even regular DVDs seem like a "new technology" to me in a way, even if they're technically really not. It took awhile for me to even feel comfortable with those, because I'm so attached to VCRs and VHS tapes. Again, this probably also has to do with technology in general changing hands much, much slower pre-1999. To the extent of "older" things co-existing and lasting longer whenever something new hit the market.

Check for new replies or respond here...