inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: YouTube

Written By: MrCleveland on 10/06/07 at 12:42 pm

Will this website cease to exist? I think so. Damn You, Viacom!

Is there any other sites similar to YouTube?

Subject: Re: YouTube

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 10/06/07 at 12:48 pm

Try Metacafe and Mojo.  From what I can tell no one has gotten a hold of Mojo yet.

Written By: Bluescreen_ODeff on 12/20/07 at 9:22 pm

I don't think YouTube will be "cancelled" (I say that since YouTube is starting to be the new TV); I just think that there will be fresher "web" stuff.  I have a YouTube account with about fifteen videos uploaded, some with outside material, but I do include them in my credits. 

I admit, I do like watching the copyrighted stuff; but if Viacom succeeds in removing all of it's stuff being used illegally, I guess we'll just have to look for fresher web entertainment.  I've looked around, and there's plenty of entertainment by thousands of amateurs.

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/21/07 at 1:02 am

Everything tends to be "controversial" when it's new, because people are used to doing things the old way. It's like how the public as well as alot of artists were kinda resistant to music videos when MTV came out, but it became totally mainstream around 1983, especially after Michael Jackson and people like him, proved how much of a success it could be.

So I think it's the same deal with YouTube, since up to this point, people are used to regular television. That explains alot of the copyrighted material being taken down, especially by Viacom. I think as long as you're not losing a potential sale on a DVD by, say an episode of a show being posted, it's a good thing. It can draw in alot of fans (new, old and casual), so that's a positive. It really is like interactive TV in a reduced extent. In some ways it's superior, since you can search for and watch whatever you want, without waiting for it to come on.

Pretty much, I think they'll just find new ways to regulate certain content. Maybe they'll charge a fee, although I sure hope not. That's like Satellite and XM - it feels almost Big Brotherish and a ripoff to PAY for radio.

Written By: Step-chan on 12/25/07 at 10:40 pm

Everything tends to be "controversial" when it's new, because people are used to doing things the old way. It's like how the public as well as alot of artists were kinda resistant to music videos when MTV came out, but it became totally mainstream around 1983, especially after Michael Jackson and people like him, proved how much of a success it could be.

So I think it's the same deal with YouTube, since up to this point, people are used to regular television. That explains alot of the copyrighted material being taken down, especially by Viacom. I think as long as you're not losing a potential sale on a DVD by, say an episode of a show being posted, it's a good thing. It can draw in alot of fans (new, old and casual), so that's a positive. It really is like interactive TV in a reduced extent. In some ways it's superior, since you can search for and watch whatever you want, without waiting for it to come on.

Pretty much, I think they'll just find new ways to regulate certain content. Maybe they'll charge a fee, although I sure hope not. That's like Satellite and XM - it feels almost Big Brotherish and a ripoff to PAY for radio.

Viacom destroyed MTV, so it's no surprise that people have uploaded music videos on youtube. Viacom shouldn't be surprised by people uploading MVs.

The irony is, word of mouth is a pretty good form of advertising... So removing stuff like that will reduce the amount of word to getting to people online.

I remember one guy getting banned for using 8 seconds of a Family Guy episode, yet there are full episodes(usually upload in multiple parts) uploaded by others that are still around. Where are their priorities?

Written By: Blackjack on 01/02/08 at 6:20 pm

I don't think YouTube is going to die... heck it is one of the most popular sites on the internet, but it will lose it's popularity when more YouTube rip offs show up.  Same thing with MySpace.  Friendster and MySpace are the pioneers of social networking sites, and we now have hi5, Facebook, bebo, myYearbook, orkut, lots of them.  Now we have is MySpaceTV and Google Video (which is basically YouTube) and more rip-off might come up.  YouTube is basically a pioneer to video sharing like MySpace is the beginning of these sister sites like Facebook.

Written By: Brian06 on 01/02/08 at 7:19 pm

There's a lot of videos being legally posted by the record companies on youtube, youtube is doing fine.

Written By: coqueta83 on 01/02/08 at 8:18 pm

I don't see YouTube going anywhere anytime soon. I like to watch videos there and sometimes at Dailymotion too.

Check for new replies or respond here...