inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Are You Kidding Me..?

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 10/14/07 at 3:47 pm

...You'd better be kidding me

http://buzznet-98.vo.llnwd.net/media-cdn/jj1/headlines/2007/09/zanessa-magazine.jpg

When will people realize that High School Musical sucked 18 sets of balls tied together in the shape of three asscracks? And that these kids' talent leaves much to be desired?

On another note, I wonder if she'll show her boobs in this magazine?

Subject: Re: Are You Kidding Me..?

Written By: Jessica on 10/14/07 at 3:56 pm

...You'd better be kidding me

http://buzznet-98.vo.llnwd.net/media-cdn/jj1/headlines/2007/09/zanessa-magazine.jpg

When will people realize that High School Musical sucked 18 sets of balls tied together in the shape of three asscracks? And that these kids' talent leaves much to be desired?

On another note, I wonder if she'll show her boobs in this magazine?

Amen!

And she probably will. She's shown them everywhere else. :P

Written By: woops on 10/14/07 at 4:06 pm

I didn't know New York from "Flava of Love" is in "High School Musical"  :D

Ashley Tisdale's scandal with Mickey's girlfriend  ::)

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 10/14/07 at 4:11 pm

Ashley Tisdale's scandal with Mickey's girlfriend  ::)

..Whaa?

Written By: karen on 10/14/07 at 7:58 pm

..Whaa?

I think he was fantasising

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 10/14/07 at 8:19 pm

I think he was fantasising

Not in my thread, he doesn't! >=O

Woops, don't MAKE me get the hose! >:-{

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/14/07 at 8:23 pm

::)

Written By: woops on 10/14/07 at 8:44 pm

There's a picture of Minnie Mouse hugging Ashley Tisdale at the bottom of the magazine.

BTW, I don't even like that bubble headed poser since she became a pop singer and appeared on that stupid movie.

(I'll admit she was semi decent on "The Suite Life", but she reeks sweaty gym socks)

Written By: Dominic L. on 10/14/07 at 9:21 pm

Hey! I like the smell of sweaty gym socks, so back off!! >:-{

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 10/15/07 at 7:28 am

Perez Hilton thinks their replationship is just a publicity thing.

I wouldn't be surprised. It seems awfully convenient.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/15/07 at 7:41 am

they killed trees....for THIS!??!!? ::) 8-P

Written By: lorac61469 on 10/15/07 at 10:08 am

I think HSM was meant for the younger kids and teenie-boopers not the 20-something age group.  My daughter and her friends love it. 

I know my daughter thinks they're really in love. 

I can think of a lot of popular stuff over the years that "sucked 18 sets of balls tied together in the shape of three asscracks". 

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/15/07 at 10:09 am

I think HSM was meant for the younger kids and teenie-boopers not the 20-something age group.  My daughter and her friends love it. 

I know my daughter thinks they're really in love. 

I can think of a lot of popular stuff over the years that "sucked 18 sets of balls tied together in the shape of three asscracks". 

the things that sucks though is that even these Disney stars can't be true role models for young girls (with the nudie pics leaking out and such)....can't ANYONE be a positive role model for young people anymore? :-\\

Written By: lorac61469 on 10/15/07 at 10:31 am

the things that sucks though is that even these Disney stars can't be true role models for young girls (with the nudie pics leaking out and such)....can't ANYONE be a positive role model for young people anymore? :-\\

That's true but I don't think most of the young kids even know about this.  By the time my daughter learns of this she'll be in to something else.

Written By: Tia on 10/15/07 at 10:37 am

From my little experience with contemporary “teen” entertainment -- which has consisted mostly of learning what i’ve needed to learn in order to effectively avoid it -- “high school musical” appears to be the worst entry in the “teen movie” category only if you fail to consider all the others. i mean, was i having a horrible nightmare or are they making a live-action “bratz” movie? why didn’t they just come by my house and kill me instead?

by the by, if “high school musical” really sucked THAT many sets of balls it would be providing a valuable public servies.

Written By: lorac61469 on 10/15/07 at 10:40 am

From my little experience with contemporary “teen” entertainment -- which has consisted mostly of learning what i’ve needed to learn in order to effectively avoid it -- “high school musical” appears to be the worst entry in the “teen movie” category if you fail to consider all the others. i mean, was i having a horrible nightmare or are they making a live-action “bratz” movie? why didn’t they just come by my house and kill me instead?

Nope, you're not having a nightmare...
http://ia.imdb.com/media/imdb/01/I/57/80/53/10m.jpg

Written By: woops on 10/15/07 at 3:06 pm

The majority of today's young Hollywood are notalent party girls  8-P

all reality shows
70's disco
Journey
Partridge Family
The Cosby Show
New Kids On The Block
Milli Vanilli
Spice Girls
Disney Channel since 2000
MTV since 1997

...list goes on

Written By: tv on 10/15/07 at 4:06 pm

Every generation has their teen stuff. Generation X had their teen idols with Rick Springfield, New Edition, New Kids On the Block, Debbie Gibson, Vanilla Ice, Color Me Badd, and Tiffany. Generation Y had the Backstreet Boys, Spice Girls, Britney Spears, N'Sync and Christina Aguilera. Now Generation Z is getting their taste of teen idol culture with High School Musical and Hannah Montana. The Boomers had David Cassidy, The Monkees, and The Beatles. Left or Lief Garret(whatever his name is) he was a teen idol too in the early 70's I think I don;t know, he was probably a teen idol probably of early Generation X I would guess.

Written By: woops on 10/15/07 at 4:18 pm

I started listening to Deb as a teen...in the later 1990's

Though she's not a "teen idol" in my book since she's very talented and evolved into one of the best pop singer/songwriters of all time.

Then again, Elvis Presley and The Beatles were also pegged "teen idols", but are legends.

Also Madonna, but she's just an overrated egomaniac  ::)

Written By: gen z? on 10/15/07 at 5:17 pm

Every generation has their teen stuff. Generation X had their teen idols with Rick Springfield, New Edition, New Kids On the Block, Debbie Gibson, Vanilla Ice, Color Me Badd, and Tiffany. Generation Y had the Backstreet Boys, Spice Girls, Britney Spears, N'Sync and Christina Aguilera. Now Generation Z is getting their taste of teen idol culture with High School Musical and Hannah Montana. The Boomers had David Cassidy, The Monkees, and The Beatles. Left or Lief Garret(whatever his name is) he was a teen idol too in the early 70's I think I don;t know, he was probably a teen idol probably of early Generation X I would guess.

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 10/15/07 at 6:17 pm

.. Right.

Written By: Tia on 10/15/07 at 6:18 pm

qft

Written By: La Roche on 10/15/07 at 10:33 pm

Journey
The Cosby Show

TAKE THAT BACK!!!!

Journey are one of the greatest American rock bands of all time and The Cosby Show gave me the few moral standards I have today!

Written By: Dominic L. on 10/15/07 at 10:56 pm

DT is right.

Plus, I'm a teen and I do not like High School Musical. IN YO' FACE, SPACE.

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 10/17/07 at 1:04 am

DT is right.

Plus, I'm a teen and I do not like High School Musical. IN YO' FACE, SPACE.

You must be one of the smart ones. Few and far between, you all are, unfortunately...

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 10/17/07 at 3:07 pm

Most of the kids at my school are not into HSM, or any Disney Channel related celebrities/stuff.

I think junior high/pre-teen kids are more into these kinds of stars, as well as magazines like Tiger Beat, and Bop. Teenagers are also stereotyped as liking Britney Spears, but no one I know at school likes her. I think she's "kid stuff".

Written By: Paul on 10/17/07 at 3:15 pm

they killed trees....for THIS!??!!? ::) 8-P

Come now...

Trees were being slaughtered in the time of 'The Bay City Rollers Monthly' as well as 'The Osmonds Book'... ;)

Written By: woops on 10/17/07 at 4:45 pm

Come now...

Trees were being slaughtered in the time of 'The Bay City Rollers Monthly' as well as 'The Osmonds Book'... ;)

and countless tabloid magazines

Written By: tv on 10/17/07 at 6:04 pm

Most of the kids at my school are not into HSM, or any Disney Channel related celebrities/stuff.

I think junior high/pre-teen kids are more into these kinds of stars, as well as magazines like Tiger Beat, and Bop. Teenagers are also stereotyped as liking Britney Spears, but no one I know at school likes her. I think she's "kid stuff".
I don;t think many High Schoolers in 2007 are going to like Britney Spears music. She's kinda fits into the 1999-2001 pre Sept 11th time period and not the Sept 11th, 2001 after period pop culture wise. I don;t think middle schoolers are going to be into Britney Spears music either in 2007.

Written By: fusefan on 10/18/07 at 2:22 pm

I agree most of the kids who like HSM seem to be born after like 1993 or something (with exceptions). I'm 17 and I do not understand the appeal of it all either.  :P :-\\

Written By: ninny on 10/19/07 at 8:51 am

That's true but I don't think most of the young kids even know about this.  By the time my daughter learns of this she'll be in to something else.
So true young teens go from one fad to another,just like there taste in music,one day a song is popular the next old news.

Written By: Brian06 on 10/19/07 at 9:53 pm

This High School Musical phenomenon baffles me, I don't really understand all the hype. From what I've seen and heard of it, it looks extremely cheesy and tacky. I'd imagine the fanbase is probably mostly preteens and young teens.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 10/19/07 at 9:55 pm

I heard somewhere say that "High School Musical" was the "Grease" of the '00s.

^ WTF?  ::) 8-P >:(

Written By: Brian06 on 10/19/07 at 10:01 pm

I heard somewhere say that "High School Musical" was the "Grease" of the '00s.

^ WTF?  ::) 8-P >:(

That's a disgrace, "High School Musical" is a joke.  ::)

Written By: Dominic L. on 10/19/07 at 10:59 pm

Hasn't the idea of "High School Musical" been used many, many times before?

Written By: woops on 10/20/07 at 12:13 am

Strangely Kenny Ortega choreographed "Dirty Dancing",  "Pretty In Pink", and was to direct "Skirts"...

Since "High School Musical" and the equally inane "Hocus Pocus" are horrible, it's probably a good thing he didn't direct "Skirts"

"Skirts" was to star Deborah Gibson, though now a musical she wrote since she originally written songs for the now long scrapped film...still in the works

Written By: Tia on 10/20/07 at 5:29 am

to be fair, "grease" was sorta overrated too.

Written By: Dominic L. on 10/20/07 at 3:27 pm

to be fair, "grease" was sorta overrated too.

Still is.

Written By: woops on 10/20/07 at 4:55 pm

Never liked "Grease" and not into musicals...

"High School Musical" isn't even a real musical and can't picture Ashley Tisdale in any stage production (despite that she supposedly played young Cossette in 'Les Miz' in the mid 1990s...found no real sources)

Written By: Dominic L. on 10/20/07 at 10:15 pm

Never liked "Grease" and not into musicals...

"High School Musical" isn't even a real musical and can't picture Ashley Tisdale in any stage production (despite that she supposedly played young Cossette in 'Les Miz' in the mid 1990s...found no real sources)

Les Mis wasn't even a good book.

Don't know about the play, though.

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/21/07 at 9:56 am

From the little bits I know about it, High School Musical is absolutely not targeted towards actual high schoolers at all. More like the 12 and under age group, and I wouldn't be surprised if even alot of them felt kinda too old for it. It's really for little kids. Alot of the time, pop culture is aimed at people several years younger than the actual stars who are making it.

I agree with what TV said in his post too.

Written By: Dominic L. on 10/21/07 at 10:42 am

From the little bits I know about it, High School Musical is absolutely not targeted towards actual high schoolers at all. More like the 12 and under age group, and I wouldn't be surprised if even alot of them felt kinda too old for it. It's really for little kids. Alot of the time, pop culture is aimed at people several years younger than the actual stars who are making it.

I agree with what TV said in his post too.

They'd probably think high school will be "loads of fun!"

They get to star in musicals.

Written By: woops on 10/21/07 at 5:01 pm

Same for "Saved by the Bell", which is equally bad.

The best movie portrayl of highschool (or close to) would be "The Breakfast Club"

Written By: Dominic L. on 10/21/07 at 6:57 pm

Same for "Saved by the Bell", which is equally bad.

The best movie portrayl of highschool (or close to) would be "The Breakfast Club"

I can't even relate to that.

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 10/21/07 at 10:16 pm

^i don't think i've ever related to ANY high school potray pr high school charecter in a movie.

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/21/07 at 10:25 pm

They'd probably think high school will be "loads of fun!"

They get to star in musicals.

I admit I was guilty of that, although to a much lesser extent. When I started becoming interested in watching them c. 1991 (I consider around age 9 to 13 being the golden age when my taste in movies really developed), I did get maybe a somewhat idealized view of what high school would be like. Movies like Encino Man, Ferris Bueller's Day Off and tons of others seemed to portray high school life as a place where you were surrounded by friends, were considered cool and it was just pretty much one of the best times of your life. Of course I knew it was fiction, but assumed it was largely based in truth. I started realizing this wasn't entirely true a few years later, though.

They also probably gave me a rose tinted view of what my present age would be like too. I thought all young adult 20somethings were like Wayne's World and the Police Academy cast and was just the next step in terms of life being loads of fun.

Of course there's probably a good reason movies are considered entertainment. ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...