inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Ellen Degeneres' Dog...

Written By: Davester on 10/16/07 at 9:30 pm

What's up with Ellen D. breaking down on TV..?  Just saw it on the news...

She gets (buys?) dog from animal rescue.  Brings dog home.  Dog is incompatible with cats.  She gives dog away to hairdresser's family.  Animal rescue takes dog away from family citing rule banning her from giving dog away.  Ellen melts down on her TV program...

What's the big deal..?  Is giving dogs away a crime..?

http://www.mercurynews.com/breakingnews/ci_7194663?nclick_check=1

Subject: Re: Ellen Degeneres' Dog...

Written By: Jessica on 10/16/07 at 10:04 pm

I heard about this, but didn't see it. I think it's kinda messed of that animal place to take the dog away from a little girl. If Ellen knows them (and she seems to be an animal lover), I don't see what the big deal is.

Written By: Davester on 10/16/07 at 10:11 pm

Yeah, that's what it sounded like she was blubbering about, breaking the little girls' hearts by taking their doggy away...

Apparently she signed some kind of contract that forbade her to give the dog to anyone.  Bad Ellen, bad Ellen..!  So buy the little girls a new doggie!  Good Ellen, good Ellen..!

Hardly seems like news, huh?  The way she was carrying on in front of the cameras is much more shocking and, therefore, entertaining IMO...

Written By: Jessica on 10/16/07 at 10:15 pm

Stars are funny. They get all emotional over animals, but they could give a damn about their kids (think Brit brit and that poor little dog she carries around).

Written By: Midas on 10/16/07 at 10:17 pm

When I adopted my Rottweiler from the AZ Humane Society I also had to sign a contract stating that if for whatever reason I could no longer care for the pet that I would need to return them to the Humane Society.  It's not an uncommon contract when adopting pets at such agencies.  When you're looking for a pet the agency workers pretty much interview and watch your every move and interaction with the pet before you sign the paperwork.  Perhaps it would have resulted in a successful adoption by the family had Ellen taken the dog back to the agency and recommended the family for adoption (with family members present).

Written By: Davester on 10/16/07 at 10:27 pm

When I adopted my Rottweiler from the AZ Humane Society I also had to sign a contract stating that if for whatever reason I could no longer care for the pet that I would need to return them to the Humane Society.  It's not an uncommon contract when adopting pets at such agencies.  When you're looking for a pet the agency workers pretty much interview and watch your every move and interaction with the pet before you sign the paperwork.  Perhaps it would have resulted in a successful adoption by the family had Ellen taken the dog back to the agency and recommended the family for adoption (with family members present).

Really?  All that?  I guess it's just me not being all into animals and stuff...

Written By: Midas on 10/16/07 at 10:37 pm

Really?  All that?  I guess it's just me not being all into animals and stuff...

Oh yeah.  When the ex-wife and I adopted the one mutt, they told us flat out as we signed the paperwork that they were screening us as we interacted with her.  It helped that we brought the other mutt we currently had with us to see if he'd get along with her.

When I got Sadie a couple of years ago we spent some time in a "visiting area" getting to know her making sure that she was a good fit with us.  I wasn't about to take a dog home that didn't really want anything to do with me, yet not one that's super-hyper all the time.  She plays when it's time to play and chills out when it's time to chill.  She's the most awesomest dog evah.  :)

Written By: Jessica on 10/16/07 at 10:44 pm

She's the most awesomest dog evah.  :)

Yeah she is, although I think she was glad to see Jason leave. ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/16/07 at 11:20 pm

I wish Ellen the very best in all her endeavors, I really do, but I just can't bring myself to give a flying fark about any of them!
:-\\

Written By: Davester on 10/17/07 at 12:03 am

I wish Ellen the very best in all her endeavors, I really do, but I just can't bring myself to give a flying fark about any of them!
:-\\

But Max, she finally came out, on LIVE TV no less, and admitted...

That it was all her fault the kids lost the dog..!

Written By: danootaandme on 10/17/07 at 4:52 am

They take more care of the animals than they do foster kids.  That being said, I think they do it to keep people from getting the animals then selling them, training them to fight, or other nonsense. 

Written By: Marian on 10/17/07 at 12:31 pm

What's up with Ellen D. breaking down on TV..?  Just saw it on the news...

She gets (buys?) dog from animal rescue.  Brings dog home.  Dog is incompatible with cats.  She gives dog away to hairdresser's family.  Animal rescue takes dog away from family citing rule banning her from giving dog away.  Ellen melts down on her TV program...

What's the big deal..?  Is giving dogs away a crime..?

http://www.mercurynews.com/breakingnews/ci_7194663?nclick_check=1
Sometimes dogs have hidden undesirable traits that one doesn't notice until they meet certain animals,and these traits are hard to break the of of if it's too old.Why doesn't the rescue agency just interview the family to make sure they're okay?

Written By: thereshegoes on 10/17/07 at 1:11 pm

Ellen,honey... if that makes you break down like that i wonder if something hard happened to you ::)

Dogs are awesome though,love em :-*

Written By: statsqueen on 10/17/07 at 7:04 pm

I truly understand the part about the contract, I really do.

Having said that (and not even being a fan of Ellen's), the agency spokesperson/manager/whatever said that:

The agency doesn't allow families who have children under the age of 14 (14????) to adopt a pet from them.  That seems a little ridiculous to me.

The woman said on camera that she was getting harassed and even death threats, which prompted her to stand her ground after Ellen's plea and give the dog to another family.  Ellen's hairdresser didn't even stand a chance due to that stupid rule and the fact that the agency grew to dislike Ellen after the backlash of her breakdown.

Maybe if it had been handled differently they would have bent the age rule....?  :-\\  ???

Written By: La Roche on 10/17/07 at 7:22 pm

Ellen,honey... if that makes you break down like that i wonder if something hard happened to you ::)

From what I know about her personal life.. nothing hard has all that much to do with her...

.....  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Written By: Davester on 10/17/07 at 7:28 pm

From what I know about her personal life.. nothing hard has all that much to do with her...

.....  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Not hard...soft...

Portia de Rossi.  Day-am..!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/17/07 at 10:09 pm

The agency doesn't allow families who have children under the age of 14 (14????) to adopt a pet from them.  That seems a little ridiculous to me.

I think I know why they do it: CYA.  Parents don't teach their children how to behave with dogs (like you don't poke the dog in the face with a stick over and over), and then they blame the dog when the dog reacts the way his instincts direct him.  So when fluffy takes a nip out of junior, they don't conclude "we need to teach the kid some canine etiquette," no they blame the agency for selling them a vicious dog and file a lawsuit. 

I'm not talking about some brain-damaged pitbull or a Rotthweiler that got burned with cigarettes by the previous owners, I mean your average pooch. 

I had a couple of nasty run-ins with the family dog when I was a little kid.  She had her own way of saying, "Hey, knock it off!"  Once I figured that out, the two of us were best buddies!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/08/puppy.gif

Written By: Davester on 10/17/07 at 10:16 pm

I think I know why they do it: CYA.  Parents don't teach their children how to behave with dogs (like you don't poke the dog in the face with a stick over and over), and then they blame the dog when the dog reacts the way his instincts direct him.  So when fluffy takes a nip out of junior, they don't conclude "we need to teach the kid some canine etiquette," no they blame the agency for selling them a vicious dog and file a lawsuit. 

Ah, okay...

Now that makes sense...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/17/07 at 10:20 pm

Ah, okay...

Now that makes sense...

I don't know it for a fact.  I just figure you've got a country of morons and a Yellow Pages full of ambulance-chaser lawers, one thing leads to another....
::)

Written By: Davester on 10/17/07 at 10:40 pm

I don't know it for a fact.  I just figure you've got a country of morons and a Yellow Pages full of ambulance-chaser lawers, one thing leads to another....
::)

No, that sounds about right for our litigious society...

And in other news owner of doggie business gets death threats.  All involved need to step back and chill out...

Written By: Marian on 10/18/07 at 1:48 pm

No, that sounds about right for our litigious society...

And in other news owner of doggie business gets death threats.  All involved need to step back and chill out...
I agree,though they need to really stop and think whether the age limit for the kids is too high.Kids the girls age should be perfectly agle to handle a dog like that.I can see a limit for pit bulls and similar breeds,but if something happens with a smaller dog,it's usually the kid's fault.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/18/07 at 3:56 pm

My guess why Ellen broke down-hormones. Trust me, hormones really messes with your head. Someone could look at you the wrong way and you can end up crying.

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/19/07 at 7:23 am

My guess why Ellen broke down-hormones. Trust me, hormones really messes with your head. Someone could look at you the wrong way and you can end up crying.

You mean the "change of life"?  Could be.  I hadn't that of that.  It's better another woman bring that one up!
;)

I agree,though they need to really stop and think whether the age limit for the kids is too high.Kids the girls age should be perfectly agle to handle a dog like that.I can see a limit for pit bulls and similar breeds,but if something happens with a smaller dog,it's usually the kid's fault.

Yes!  That's what I was saying.  A dog can't calculate and reason, dog's only got instinct and some learned reactions.  So the kids test the dog's reactions and come out on the losing end.  That's what happened to me!  YOW!  Fortunately, a dog's cues are not subtle.  I also find people bestow human attributes on dogs, which dogs simply do not have. 

The size of the dog is less important than the temperament.  Our neighbors had a Newfoundland Retriever, just about as big as a bear, but very meek and gentle.  Wouldn't hurt a fly.  On the other hand, there was a mean beagle who was the terror of the town!

Anyway, I've seen far more kids being mean to dogs than dogs being mean to kids. 

Written By: Jessica on 10/19/07 at 8:41 am

Anyway, I've seen far more kids being mean to dogs than dogs being mean to kids. 

Which wouldn't happen if parents taught their kids to respect dogs. We've worked with both the boy and the dog so they know their boundaries and what is acceptable behavior. Sometimes they forget, but they learn from it. And you can't tell me that dogs don't understand. They do, although I don't condone turning them into babies or "humans". That's just silly, and I'm sure they understand how stupid they and their owners look. :D

(Although our dog has some sweaters, but he's very very short haired and he's from California. Chicago winter weather is going to blow his mind. :P)

Written By: Marian on 10/19/07 at 12:47 pm

You mean the "change of life"?  Could be.  I hadn't that of that.  It's better another woman bring that one up!
;)

Yes!  That's what I was saying.  A dog can't calculate and reason, dog's only got instinct and some learned reactions.  So the kids test the dog's reactions and come out on the losing end.  That's what happened to me!  YOW!  Fortunately, a dog's cues are not subtle.  I also find people bestow human attributes on dogs, which dogs simply do not have. 

The size of the dog is less important than the temperament.  Our neighbors had a Newfoundland Retriever, just about as big as a bear, but very meek and gentle.  Wouldn't hurt a fly.  On the other hand, there was a mean beagle who was the terror of the town!

I think a dog can calculate,and if they live with the kid they might figure out the kid is getting bigger,and could become an abusive monster if they don't teach them NOW!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/19/07 at 6:02 pm

Which wouldn't happen if parents taught their kids to respect dogs. We've worked with both the boy and the dog so they know their boundaries and what is acceptable behavior. Sometimes they forget, but they learn from it. And you can't tell me that dogs don't understand. They do, although I don't condone turning them into babies or "humans". That's just silly, and I'm sure they understand how stupid they and their owners look. :D

Oh, I didn't mean to imply anything like that.  Of course they understand, that's why they can be trained to herd sheep, guide blind people, guard property, track lost children, and perform dozens of other duties.  They also love us and we love them.  Some dog experts say a dog's affection is not really for you, but for his own self-interest (lsuch as, he associates you with his din-dins), but I'm not ready to agree.  For instance, my sister's dog gets really excited when I come over and follows me from place to place.  Yet, except for the few times I've fed and walked her when the family was away, I don't take care of her. 

Dogs don't know right from wrong as an abstraction called "goodness" or "morality," but they do respond to praise and scolding/encouragement and discouragement; thus they are trainable.

What I mean by "calculating" and "reason" is again abstract thought.  The don't think narratively or reflect on "why" the way humans do, which you can see in a normally-developing child at about age two.  Their minds store positive and negative associations to stimuli that kick in when they experience a certain stimulus.  For instance, I had neighbors who adopted a dog that was brutalized by a previous owner.  He was a young man who always wore a baseball cap, thus when a male wearomg a baseball cap appeared, the dog would panic and hide.  A human could use logic and deduce, "While males wearing baseball caps remind me of the guy who beat me up, only one of the category of males who wear baseball caps is the guy who beat me up."  The dog could not do that.

(Although our dog has some sweaters, but he's very very short haired and he's from California. Chicago winter weather is going to blow his mind. :P)

Aw, so cute!  I sometimes see the little sweaters on short-hairs up here.  It's not quite as cold as Chicago, but it gets pretty nippy.
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/sqcold.gif

Written By: snozberries on 10/26/07 at 8:33 pm

Oh yeah.  When the ex-wife and I adopted the one mutt, they told us flat out as we signed the paperwork that they were screening us as we interacted with her.  It helped that we brought the other mutt we currently had with us to see if he'd get along with her.

When I got Sadie a couple of years ago we spent some time in a "visiting area" getting to know her making sure that she was a good fit with us.  I wasn't about to take a dog home that didn't really want anything to do with me, yet not one that's super-hyper all the time.  She plays when it's time to play and chills out when it's time to chill. 

I understand wanting to monitor the adoptive family to see that the dog is being cared for but once they have given the final seal of approval the dog belongs you (or, as in my case, you belong to the dog...) what you do with your dog (as long as its not neglectful or abusive) is your business.

BTW Karma +1 for adopting a Rottie!

She's the most awesomest dog evah.  :)

Uh Huh  my Rottie is the most awesomist dog ever....  People are always like You haave a Rot? Aren't they mean?  I'm all not mine- she's more like a black lab with brown spots!  ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/26/07 at 9:16 pm

Uh Huh  my Rottie is the most awesomist dog ever....  People are always like You haave a Rot? Aren't they mean?  I'm all not mine- she's more like a black lab with brown spots!  ;D

That may very well be, but I still wouldn't want her mad at me!
:o

Written By: Jessica on 10/26/07 at 10:14 pm

My aunt had a Rot and it was the biggest frickin' baby. Used to crack me up the way they'd feed him popsicles on hot days. :D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/27/07 at 12:07 am

My aunt had a Rot and it was the biggest frickin' baby. Used to crack me up the way they'd feed him popsicles on hot days. :D

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/14/sign10.gif
A Rottie eating a Popsicle!

Written By: snozberries on 10/27/07 at 12:37 am

That may very well be, but I still wouldn't want her mad at me!
:o

lol she has been mad exactly once in 6 years!  I was walking her in a field after midnight and a transient approached me... he didn't see her but he sure heard her! He was on a squeaky bike and all I could hear was a fast *squeak, squeak, squeak* as he peddled away... don't be too impressed tho- last year I was in a parking lot looking for a coupon, she was in the back seat- two transients (There are a lot in Santa Barbara- probably because no one can really afford to live here  ;D ) saw her and put their hands in my car to pet her. She couldn't get enough attention from them of course I was in the front seat freakin' out- some watch dog!

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/27/07 at 7:40 am

I saw on TV where somebody is saying that Ellen was not upset about the dog, that the real issue is that she and Porsche De Rossi are not getting along....  :-\\

Written By: Marian on 10/27/07 at 2:51 pm

I saw on TV where somebody is saying that Ellen was not upset about the dog, that the real issue is that she and Porsche De Rossi are not getting along....  :-\\
:-* ::) ;D :D

Written By: snozberries on 10/27/07 at 3:04 pm

It might be true but as general rule I say don't believe the tabloids... 

Check for new replies or respond here...