inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: h

Written By: tetratron on 10/19/07 at 11:19 am

:-X

Subject: Re: "Into the Wild." Film by Sean Penn about Chris McCandless. Glorifying a Moro

Written By: KKay on 10/19/07 at 11:51 am

I read the book and often read about adventures (or mis adventures)...Chris McCandless did not respect the nature around him. He was a disturbed young man that probably could have been helped.
I did not see the film, but I have been reading aobut how Sean Penn's version of the story is a glorification of MCCandless' journey.

don't be dumb and watch this and think- he made all those mistakes!  I can do that!  off i go!
stupid.
the wilderness will always win.

I can make a better judgement after I wastch the film, though i really don't want to. it will irritate me if the rumours are true.

Subject: Re: "Into the Wild." Film by Sean Penn about Chris McCandless. Glorifying a Moron??

Written By: danootaandme on 10/19/07 at 3:25 pm

We live in a generation of extreme, extreme skiing, extreme mountain climbing, extreme sailing, etc.  Drives me nuts.  Usually the people involved in this stuff have too much money and too much time on their hands and end up having to be rescued when they call from their cel phones because mother nature really could care less if you are wearing the most expensive gear, if you don't know what you are doing she isn't going to wait for you to figure it out.  The Coast Guard and forest wardens have become baby sitters for a generation of arm chair dilletantes who think that because they watched Grizzly Adams and go to the gym seven days a week they must know everything there is to know about the wild. 

Subject: Re: "Into the Wild." Film by Sean Penn about Chris McCandless. Glorifying a Moron??

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/19/07 at 6:35 pm

Oh yeah, I read about that loon years ago. 

McCandless was taunting Mother Nature and Mother Nature got the last laugh.  She always does sooner or later!
:D

Sometimes even people who are trained wilderness adventurers with all the precautions and provisions get killed out there in the Alaskan bush.

I don't know about Alaska, but I read about Canada's policy.  The Canadian government doesn't prohibit adventuring in the remote wilderness areas BUT if they have to come out there and rescue your azz, you're gonna pay the bill.  If you're waaaay out there in godforsaken northern Alberta or the Yukon, it ain't cheap either!

Subject: Re: "Into the Wild." Film by Sean Penn about Chris McCandless. Glorifying a Moro

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/19/07 at 10:45 pm

Now I'm wondering if this movie may inspire others to do the same thing.

"I sure hope so.  I haven't had that good a laugh since that other guy got eaten by a bear!  YOU!  YOU THERE!  OUT OF THE GENE POOL!"
  - Charles Darwin, part-time lifeguard, part-time pool cleaner.

Written By: Macphisto on 10/20/07 at 7:15 pm

I'd have to agree with Foo Bar on this one.  If this inspires other idiots to kill themselves, by all means, film that sucker.

Hell, give emo kids free tickets.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/21/07 at 5:55 am

I'd have to agree with Foo Bar on this one.  If this inspires other idiots to kill themselves, by all means, film that sucker.

Hell, give emo kids free tickets.

Only problem is that these idiots now have cel phones.  They get in over their heads and call for help and people go out and risk their own lives to save these half smart, over priviledged, self centered wusses. 

Written By: Macphisto on 10/21/07 at 11:11 am

I hate to sound morbidly sadistic here, but consider the coverage of cell phones.  Most companies (if not all, for that matter) do not provide coverage in areas of vast wilderness.

Unless the kid has a satellite phone, he's SOL.

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/21/07 at 7:15 pm

I hate to sound morbidly sadistic here, but consider the coverage of cell phones.  Most companies (if not all, for that matter) do not provide coverage in areas of vast wilderness.

Unless the kid has a satellite phone, he's SOL.

I love to sound morbidly sadistic here, but consider the coverage of cell phones.  Most cell phones (if not all, for that matter) will still record video even if they can't phone home.

Unless the guy who washes the bear scat off the cell phone has a satellite phone, he'll have to wait until he gets home (or someone finds his cell phone in a newer pile of bear scat) to upload the resulting video to YouTube.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 10/21/07 at 11:10 pm

Only problem is that these idiots now have cel phones.  They get in over their heads and call for help and people go out and risk their own lives to save these half smart, over priviledged, self centered wusses. 

Well, when these morons call for help, instead of sending a rescue chopper they should just send in a fighter jet to drop napalm on them.

Check for new replies or respond here...