inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: California is burning!

Written By: Jessica on 10/22/07 at 6:08 pm

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/10/22/wildfire.ca/index.html

To all the members that live in the affected areas, please be safe and let us know when you can if you're okay.

Subject: Re: California is burning!

Written By: lorac61469 on 10/22/07 at 6:11 pm

Very scary.  :(
Stay safe.

Written By: Red Ant on 10/22/07 at 6:26 pm

Damn, that's looking bad. I'll see if I can catch the news tonight for more updates.

Ant

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/22/07 at 6:32 pm

At his satanic majesty's request...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/22/07 at 7:01 pm

This seems to be happening more and more in that area.
::)

Written By: nally on 10/22/07 at 7:34 pm

Hi Jess, thanks for posting this.

As the first California resident to reply, I would like to report that I am doing just fine. The smoke has been lingering over my neighborhood (probably from the Malibu fire) since yesterday; it doesn't seem exceptionally bad right now, but again, the wind is still blowing.

Hopefully this will be over ASAP.

Written By: gumbypiz on 10/22/07 at 8:13 pm

Don't live in the direct areas, but work in Irvine. I live in Buena Park/Long Beach and the ash from the fires has been blown all the way out here (25 miles away). The haze from the smoke lingers over the whole LA/Orange county area. Heard its worse for Malibu.
The fires are burning in the hillsides around most of Irvine & Canyon Country hills (east of the 405 & 5 freeways).
The 133 & 241 have been closed. Schools have been closed. Fire Marshall has closed most business in the area.

Evacuations for the homes that started last night in the area have been relaxed somewhat.
If the winds continue to slow, it looks like it will get better...I think (hope) the worst is over.

This morning was crazy, traffic from all the closed roads, and stranger yet, the orange darkness at 8am. Ash falling from the sky and that constant burnt wood smell...I know traffic in LA was hell, but this was a little too close for comfort.

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/22/07 at 8:45 pm

At his satanic majesty's request...

Hmm, do I take the high road, with the album cover from Meatloaf?  Or the low road, with a single from AC/DC?  Decisions, decisions...

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 10/22/07 at 11:59 pm

Hi Jess, thanks for posting this.

As the first California resident to reply, I would like to report that I am doing just fine. The smoke has been lingering over my neighborhood (probably from the Malibu fire) since yesterday; it doesn't seem exceptionally bad right now, but again, the wind is still blowing.

Hopefully this will be over ASAP.
be careful down there Jeff and stayed tuned to the news. this fire is huge and the winds are making it very wild & unpredictable.

as for me up north, it reaches me through my work at AT&T as many many telephone lines and cables and buildings affected will have to be replaced and service restored to the many customers we serve. those guys and gals will be working lots of overtime once this thing is over and the rebuilding begins.

Written By: MrCleveland on 10/23/07 at 9:06 am

California had wildfires since the beginings of America. I wonder how the natives settled it?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/23/07 at 9:35 am

stay safe guys!!!

Written By: karen on 10/23/07 at 9:37 am

California had wildfires since the beginings of America. I wonder how the natives settled it?

Probably just moved on.  I think a tepee is easier to take with you than your entire house

Written By: danootaandme on 10/23/07 at 11:03 am

Probably just moved on.  I think a tepee is easier to take with you than your entire house

There are certain areas that have these fires, to some degree, every year. 

Written By: Marian on 10/23/07 at 2:17 pm

Moved their teepees?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/23/07 at 2:53 pm

We have been keeping a close eye on this. Last night on the news they mentioned San Bernadino and that is when we got on the phone. Carlos' oldest lives there with her husband and daughter. When we called, we found out that Carlos' sister is visiting with them. So far, things are ok with them but they are keeping an eye on things, too.

For all of you in California-PLEASE STAY SAFE!!!!

Cat

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 10/23/07 at 2:58 pm

The wildfires are the worst in history.  I hope everyone is safe and remains safe.

Written By: nally on 10/23/07 at 4:14 pm

I was watching the news on TV for most of the morning to get updates on the many fires. The one in Malibu, as I mentioned, might have been affecting me the most, since its smoke has drifted toward Ventura County...but there are three of 'em in the Santa Clarita area (right near Six Flags Magic Mountain), and as I was coming home early yesterday thru Moorpark (a city in Ventura County), I began to see/smell the smoke from 10-20 miles away.

There had also been one closer to me on Sunday (near Thousand Oaks/Camarillo), but it was a smaller blaze and it has been contained. That's the good news.

Written By: WhoCares on 10/23/07 at 6:33 pm

Why on earth do you have a little "Sad" face next to the caption of "California is Burning"?  Like that's just the worst thing that could ever happen  ::)

Who Cares.  Rich Arrogant Snobs! They'll have enough money to buy another house anyway.

I couldn't be happier. Kick them off their high horse.

Written By: La Roche on 10/23/07 at 6:36 pm

Why on earth do you have a little "Sad" face next to the caption of "California is Burning"?  Like that's just the worst thing that could ever happen  ::)

Who Cares.  Rich Arrogant Snobs! They'll have enough money to buy another house anyway.

So presumably when you get a job you won't mind if I kick you out of your house then chief?

Written By: Jessica on 10/23/07 at 6:40 pm

Awww, someone's upset that they never made it in Hollywood.

Written By: Midas on 10/23/07 at 7:01 pm

Awww, someone's upset that they never made it in Hollywood.

I TOLD YOU not to piss in that random bowl of Cheerios this morning!

Written By: coqueta83 on 10/23/07 at 7:39 pm

Please stay safe and be careful!  :(

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/23/07 at 7:46 pm

So presumably when you get a job you won't mind if I kick you out of your house then chief?

Feh, just ignore him.  He's like the cyber wino-on-the-corner.
:P

In years past wildfires have started out their, and maybe some movie star's ranch got torched, then the fires got put out and the story went away.

These fires are a damn sight worse. 

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 10/23/07 at 9:39 pm

Last news report I read was 2 human lives lost and then I was thinking about the scores of wildlife (animals, birds) destroyed by these fires. no way to get an accurate count but i dare say it will be a staggering number, although I would hope that is not so.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/23/07 at 10:55 pm

Some of the of the clips on the news look like hellscapes.  I mean, when I try to picture what hell looks like, that's what it looks like!  Neither the civil nor the martial authorities know what to do over there.  Pretty scary!
:o

Written By: sonikuu on 10/24/07 at 1:35 am

Heres a pretty good pic of how bad these fires are:

http://alg.umbc.edu/usaq/images/2007-10-22_2057-2102_HSDO_010403_QKM.jpg

Not good, not good at all.

Well, its time to chock this up as a classic 00s "record disaster" along with the 2004 Tsunami, Hurricane Katrina, and the Pakistan Earthquake.  Seriously, we've been getting a lot of this type of stuff in the past few years.

I just realized that all four elements have been covered: water (2004 Tsunami), wind (Katrina), earth (Pakistan Earthquake), and now fire. 

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/24/07 at 1:47 am

^ That's a good observation, I thought of that recently myself. I knew this was bad, but didn't even realize how much it was escalating. It's quite scary really, even if it doesn't directly involve me. I live in San Jose, so it has been blowing westward off the mountains (like in that aerial picture) towards us.

Written By: nally on 10/24/07 at 10:39 am

Well...from what I read in the newspaper this morning, the Malibu fire (officially known as the "Canyon" fire) is mostly contained (I forget the exact percentage), which is a good thing, because the air wasn't very smokey around my house last night. Things are looking up.

For the San Diegans, of course, that's a completely different story. :o I hope everyone in that area can stay safe.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/24/07 at 11:54 am

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=117631292961056724014.00043d21dedd02f5ae1f7&ll=33.651208,-118.146973&spn=2.199313,4.405518&z=8&om=0

Cat

Written By: nally on 10/24/07 at 11:22 pm

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=117631292961056724014.00043d21dedd02f5ae1f7&ll=33.651208,-118.146973&spn=2.199313,4.405518&z=8&om=0

Cat

From looking at that map, I see that the Malibu fire has been fully contained. That's good to know. When I got home I didn't smell any smoke at all.
Hopefully all those fires will be green at some point.

Karma+1 for providing that map.

Written By: Davester on 10/24/07 at 11:36 pm

Well...from what I read in the newspaper this morning, the Malibu fire (officially known as the "Canyon" fire) is mostly contained (I forget the exact percentage), which is a good thing, because the air wasn't very smokey around my house last night. Things are looking up.

For the San Diegans, of course, that's a completely different story. :o I hope everyone in that area can stay safe.

You guys, down there, need to knock it off with the fires, already..!

Seriously, my best wishes to the victims of the fires...

Written By: nally on 10/24/07 at 11:46 pm

You guys, down there, need to knock it off with the fires, already..!

LOL, We sure do! It's been getting outta hand.

Seriously, my best wishes to the victims of the fires...

Mine too. Fortunately for me, I do not live in or near any of the seriously-threatened areas, which is a good thing. Still, I feel bad for those who've lost everything they own. :\'( :\'(

Written By: Jessica on 10/25/07 at 8:54 am

Looks like one of the fires was arson and the person knew what he was doing to make it spread quickly. :-[

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/10/25/fire.arson/index.html

Written By: nally on 10/25/07 at 10:32 am

I thought I smelled some smoke this morning as I went out to get the newspaper; I thought to myself, 'Oh no, I hope another one didn't just sprout up.' So I turned on the TV news to see what was going on...no new blazes (at least out my way), but the Castaic/Piru blaze is still active; maybe that's the one I smelt.

Written By: statsqueen on 10/25/07 at 10:46 am

I hope all of our Californians are safe.  I heard the reports that they are investigating at least 2 as arson.  The Neighborhood Watch guy interviewed on GMA this morning said he saw 3 different blazes at the same time--not naturally possible given the distance between them.  I feel so bad for the people who have lost everything, but am relieved that all but 1 (last I heard) made it out with their lives.

I think my cousin & her family live in Rocklin (or something like that).  Not knowing my CA geography that well, are they farther north of where the fires are?  I have been so busy asking my mom about how my dad is doing at home (home 8 days now), I keep forgetting to ask if she has heard from Mike (my other cousin that is usually in LA).  He probably is in NY or Miami (I hope). He has a guardian angel or something to keep him safe as he has averted disaster in the past (he was supposed to be on the flight from Boston that ended up going into the tower on 9/11).

I'm glad the Santa Ana winds have died down and I hope the firefighters can finally get some much needed rest, etc.

Did anyone see the interview w/ Schwarzenegger?

Stay safe everyone!!!

Written By: nally on 10/25/07 at 10:53 am

I hope all of our Californians are safe.  I heard the reports that they are investigating at least 2 as arson.  The Neighborhood Watch guy interviewed on GMA this morning said he saw 3 different blazes at the same time--not naturally possible given the distance between them.  I feel so bad for the people who have lost everything, but am relieved that all but 1 (last I heard) made it out with their lives.

I think my cousin & her family live in Rocklin (or something like that).  Not knowing my CA geography that well, are they farther north of where the fires are?  I have been so busy asking my mom about how my dad is doing at home (home 8 days now), I keep forgetting to ask if she has heard from Mike (my other cousin that is usually in LA).  He probably is in NY or Miami (I hope). He has a guardian angel or something to keep him safe as he has averted disaster in the past (he was supposed to be on the flight from Boston that ended up going into the tower on 9/11).

Yes, I believe Rocklin is in the northern portion of the state. So they wouldn't be affected.

I'm glad the Santa Ana winds have died down and I hope the firefighters can finally get some much needed rest, etc.

Yeah! They're not expected to continue, according to a TV weather forecast I just saw.

Did anyone see the interview w/ Schwarzenegger?

Stay safe everyone!!!

No, I didn't see the interview...but I do know that the President is making his way out to San Diego county so he can see what has been done. He's also gonna meet with Awnold, aka the Governator.

I will definitely stay safe!!

Written By: statsqueen on 10/25/07 at 11:46 am

These are fresh off cnn.com:

Officials: 22,000-acre fire was set  http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/10/25/fire.arson/index.html

Two bodies found in San Diego County home  http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/10/25/fire.wildfire.ca/index.html

One of the bulleted highlights at the top of the 2nd article is:  "Some containment on all but one fire; arson probes under way in two counties"

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 10/25/07 at 1:21 pm

Wow, are you really that ignorant to think only the celebrities live in California?

Doms, I hope you're okay! Does anyone know if the fire has been near Livermore?

Written By: Marian on 10/25/07 at 2:02 pm

We have been keeping a close eye on this. Last night on the news they mentioned San Bernadino and that is when we got on the phone. Carlos' oldest lives there with her husband and daughter. When we called, we found out that Carlos' sister is visiting with them. So far, things are ok with them but they are keeping an eye on things, too.

For all of you in California-PLEASE STAY SAFE!!!!

CatI live in Northern California in the flatlands,so I'm pretty safe.

Written By: Jessica on 10/25/07 at 3:09 pm

Wow, are you really that ignorant to think only the celebrities live in California?

Livermore is near the Bay Area, about 400 miles North of Los Angeles. So he should be okay. :)

Written By: Dominic L. on 10/25/07 at 5:00 pm

XD You just totally let everybody know where I live.

And, well, "WhoCares," first of all... You're allowed to be sad about things that aren't the worst in the world. And second of all, just because somebody lives in California does not mean they're rich. In fact, there are many homeless people on the streets of California, yanno!

Written By: Dominic L. on 10/25/07 at 5:01 pm

Hmm, do I take the high road, with the album cover from Meatloaf?  Or the low road, with a single from AC/DC?  Decisions, decisions...

The Rolling Stones!

Written By: Jessica on 10/25/07 at 5:32 pm

I knew where you lived before Beth said anything, so nyah.

You totally live close enough to my inlaws for us to drop by. However, I don't think your family would take kindly to having a bunch of weirdos from the internet come out to visit you. :D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/25/07 at 9:03 pm

Alas, we are seeing the Katrina-ing of  the California fires.

Certainly, it is easier for rich people to recover from losing their homes.  They have access to the kinds of cash, credit, capital, and social networks that poor people do not.

Mind you, I said easier, but not easy.  Losing your home to fire is traumatic and heartbreaking no matter if you are rich or poor.  The San Diego area is in general wealthier than average, but by no means were all who lost their homes wealthy.

Written By: whistledog on 10/26/07 at 12:01 am

At work, I saw on the news where Ah-nuld and Dub-ya were giving a press conference on the fires.  Why is it when there is a tragic event taking place, these world leaders always give press conferences on the subject ?  How is that going to help put out the fires ? ???

On a different subject, doesn't Ah-nuld and Dubya sound like a good title for a movie?  "Ah-Nuld and Dub-ya Go to White Castle" :D

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 10/26/07 at 2:41 am

Alas, we are seeing the Katrina-ing of  the California fires.

Certainly, it is easier for rich people to recover from losing their homes.  They have access to the kinds of cash, credit, capital, and social networks that poor people do not.

Mind you, I said easier, but not easy.  Losing your home to fire is traumatic and heartbreaking no matter if you are rich or poor.  The San Diego area is in general wealthier than average, but by no means were all who lost their homes wealthy.
many poorer or less fortunate people hit by hurricane Katrina did not have big beautiful RVs to flee in so yes, there sure is a big difference in how Californians are able to handle this firestorm in SoCal. just tonight the news was covering people camped in their RV's supporting one another which is admirable for people to come together and make sure everyone is ok  but they were sipping coffee on lawn chairs like they were at a RV camping club. these were some nice looking RV's but still sad and tragic if someone, even a moderately wealthy or well off family  loses their home and all that is in it.  to date, employees from my company have lost their homes.

Written By: nally on 10/26/07 at 10:19 am

On a different subject, doesn't Ah-nuld and Dubya sound like a good title for a movie? "Ah-Nuld and Dub-ya Go to White Castle" :D

LOL ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/26/07 at 12:03 pm

At work, I saw on the news where Ah-nuld and Dub-ya were giving a press conference on the fires.  Why is it when there is a tragic event taking place, these world leaders always give press conferences on the subject ?  How is that going to help put out the fires ? ???

On a different subject, doesn't Ah-nuld and Dubya sound like a good title for a movie?  "Ah-Nuld and Dub-ya Go to White Castle" :D

Can you say "Photo-op"?  ::)

Actually it pisses me off when they do that because they take the local emergency workers away from doing what they SHOULD be doing instead of guarding the prez.  >:( >:( >:(

I wish Dubya would go to White Castle. He would do less damage than he has in the White House.

Cat

Written By: Marian on 10/26/07 at 1:12 pm

many poorer or less fortunate people hit by hurricane Katrina did not have big beautiful RVs to flee in so yes, there sure is a big difference in how Californians are able to handle this firestorm in SoCal. just tonight the news was covering people camped in their RV's supporting one another which is admirable for people to come together and make sure everyone is ok  but they were sipping coffee on lawn chairs like they were at a RV camping club. these were some nice looking RV's but still sad and tragic if someone, even a moderately wealthy or well off family  loses their home and all that is in it.  to date, employees from my company have lost their homes.
I didn't know  RVs were beautiful.So I should feel blessed if one is parked in front of my house?

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 10/26/07 at 1:50 pm

...XD Ooops. Just kidding, everyone! Livermore is definitely NOT where Dominic lives! And he's definitely NOT a naive little boy who sleeps one a bed of diamonds and jewels! D=.

Written By: Jessica on 10/26/07 at 3:48 pm

I'm not sure about the president, but I think the Governator does it to let people know where the issue stands and what measures he's taking to help with making sure jackasses don't go and try to loot.

Despite everyone not liking the Governor, apparently he's handling the situation better than Louisiana's Governor handled Katrina. Even Barbara Boxer (a VERY left leaning senator) praised him, and that's kinda scary. :o

As for photo-ops, yeah, those are the suckage. However, if you weren't seeing the leaders down there meddling, you know someone would bitch because they WEREN'T down there. Can't please everyone. :P

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/26/07 at 9:29 pm

I'm not sure about the president, but I think the Governator does it to let people know where the issue stands and what measures he's taking to help with making sure jackasses don't go and try to loot.

Despite everyone not liking the Governor, apparently he's handling the situation better than Louisiana's Governor handled Katrina. Even Barbara Boxer (a VERY left leaning senator) praised him, and that's kinda scary. :o

As for photo-ops, yeah, those are the suckage. However, if you weren't seeing the leaders down there meddling, you know someone would bitch because they WEREN'T down there. Can't please everyone. :P

It's an easier task to tackle an emergency than it is to tackle entrenched systemic problems. 

I just wish people wouldn't compare this to Katrina.  The images we see on television are just as scary, but Katrina was a far worse catastrophe with much longer lasting consequences. 

I'm not sure if all who lost their homes will be eager to rebuild.  They have insurance, of course, but wait until they try to collect on it.  Insurance companies only like money to travel one way--in their direction!  Their lawyers will drag your ass through court for five years and if you still don't wanna give up, five more!

Written By: Jessica on 10/26/07 at 10:11 pm

I'm not sure if all who lost their homes will be eager to rebuild.  They have insurance, of course, but wait until they try to collect on it.  Insurance companies only like money to travel one way--in their direction!  Their lawyers will drag your ass through court for five years and if you still don't wanna give up, five more!

I'm not sure if it's true or not, but there was something floating about that one of the communities that burned had NO fire insurance. Why? Because the developers knew it was a high risk fire area, so it was not offered. ::)

Written By: Dominic L. on 10/26/07 at 10:17 pm

I've heard some think it's an al-qaeda thing.

Written By: Jessica on 10/26/07 at 10:43 pm

I've heard some think it's an al-qaeda thing.

I blame George Bush.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/26/07 at 11:46 pm

I blame George Bush.

George Bush is in Al-Qeada (Al-Quaida, Al-Quiche, or WTF it's called).
:D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/26/07 at 11:48 pm

I'm not sure if it's true or not, but there was something floating about that one of the communities that burned had NO fire insurance. Why? Because the developers knew it was a high risk fire area, so it was not offered. ::)

Well, lucky for them! They're spared all those drawn-out court battles!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/icon_scratch.gif

Written By: Dominic L. on 10/26/07 at 11:52 pm

George Bush is in Al-Qeada (Al-Quaida, Al-Quiche, or WTF it's called).
:D

I think it's safer to assume Al-Qeada is responsible for Hurrican Katrina than these fires.

Written By: Marian on 10/27/07 at 2:04 pm

People used to build in areas like that for vacation homes.Now they want to live there year round.

Written By: Dagwood on 10/27/07 at 3:51 pm

This is what I was thinking, too. 

Written By: Marian on 10/28/07 at 3:45 pm

This is what I was thinking, too. 
I agree.

Written By: Dominic L. on 11/01/07 at 7:33 pm

So, apparently, this was started by a twelve year old boy playing with matches.

Written By: nally on 11/01/07 at 9:41 pm

So, apparently, this was started by a twelve year old boy playing with matches.

What a weirdo. ::)

I heard on the news this morning that one of the blazes was started by a 10 year old boy. The newscaster was asking the other people in the newsroom if the kid's parents should be charged for letting their son do something like this, cuz it is a serious matter.

Written By: Marian on 11/02/07 at 1:33 pm

What a weirdo. ::)

I heard on the news this morning that one of the blazes was started by a 10 year old boy. The newscaster was asking the other people in the newsroom if the kid's parents should be charged for letting their son do something like this, cuz it is a serious matter.
They live in a trailer so I doubt the victims would be able to get any compensation from them.it's never billionaires who start fores.

Written By: nally on 11/02/07 at 1:34 pm

They live in a trailer so I doubt the victims would be able to get any compensation from them.it's never billionaires who start fires.

Are you sure they live in a trailer?

Written By: Marian on 11/04/07 at 3:52 pm

Are you sure they live in a trailer?
it says they did until the fire.They have since left.

Written By: snozberries on 11/04/07 at 6:35 pm

So my dog is most likely permanently blind... the vet said I could try an ophthalmologist but he doesn't think they will get any better results... thanks a lot  :\'(.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/04/07 at 6:41 pm

So my dog is most likely permanently blind... the vet said I could try an ophthalmologist but he doesn't think they will get any better results... thanks a lot  :\'(.

I'm so sorry to hear this. :(

Written By: snozberries on 11/04/07 at 6:45 pm

I'm so sorry to hear this. :(
thx

Written By: Jessica on 11/04/07 at 6:50 pm

Oh no. I'm so sorry. :\'(

Written By: nally on 11/05/07 at 10:22 am

that's so sad : (

Written By: Marian on 11/06/07 at 2:40 pm

he has glaucoma?

Written By: snozberries on 11/06/07 at 3:11 pm

he has glaucoma?

we're still trying to figure out what happened. She had an eye infection from the ash. but now it seems like its delveloped into more than that...

Written By: nally on 11/06/07 at 3:35 pm

we're still trying to figure out what happened. She had an eye infection from the ash. but now it seems like its delveloped into more than that...

...which could be very critical. :\'( I hate when things like that happen to an animal.

Written By: snozberries on 11/06/07 at 4:04 pm

...which could be very critical. :\'( I hate when things like that happen to an animal.

Yeah I want to throttle the 12 year old who played with matches, the day laborers who were playing with fireworks, the two arsonists they arrested and any one else responsible for the rest of the fires!

Written By: Marian on 11/07/07 at 1:41 pm

Yeah I want to throttle the 12 year old who played with matches, the day laborers who were playing with fireworks, the two arsonists they arrested and any one else responsible for the rest of the fires!
maybe the dog just needs more time to heal.

Check for new replies or respond here...