inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: I like Soulja Boy!

Written By: AmericaLover on 10/26/07 at 11:19 am

He's #1 on the American charts!

Subject: Re: I like Soulja Boy!

Written By: Pooh on 10/26/07 at 4:27 pm

He's dope!  Check out mah video remix!  :D

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/26/07 at 5:53 pm

He's #1 on the American charts!

That doesn't necesarilly make it good, lol. While it's not terrible, I don't love it either. It's just mainstream dance/hip hop in a kind of silly way. It's like this year's "U Can't Touch This".

Written By: sonikuu on 10/26/07 at 6:03 pm

Soulja Boy = cheesy modern rap music at its finest.  It really sucks, but I can't help listening to it whenever I hear it.  

Soulja Boy - Crank That Video for those who haven't seen it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vum3qgoh0x4

The song isn't really popular for the music (the terrible album sales show that).  Its popular for the dance that goes along with it, which is a big hit at parties right now.  In a way, this is the big dance trend of the 00s.  Just like the Macarena of the 90s, the Robot and Moonwalk of the 80s, and the Hustle of the 70s, this is the big dance fad trend of this decade.  To be honest, I'm glad we finally got one because this decade has been lacking a dance fad.  Every decade needs a dance fad for us to look back on and laugh ten years from now (although the Moonwalk still kicks ass in my opinion).

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/26/07 at 6:20 pm

Soulja Boy = cheesy modern rap music at its finest.  It really sucks, but I can't help listening to it whenever I hear it.  

Soulja Boy - Crank That Video for those who haven't seen it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vum3qgoh0x4

The song isn't really popular for the music (the terrible album sales show that).  Its popular for the dance that goes along with it, which is a big hit at parties right now.  In a way, this is the big dance trend of the 00s.  Just like the Macarena of the 90s, the Robot and Moonwalk of the 80s, and the Hustle of the 70s, this is the big dance fad trend of this decade.  To be honest, I'm glad we finally got one because this decade has been lacking a dance fad.  Every decade needs a dance fad for us to look back on and laugh ten years from now (although the Moonwalk still kicks ass in my opinion).

That's a good point, actually. It's more of a party song with a gimmick than an actual radio hit song in the traditional sense. Now that I think about it, if we're using the early '90s as a comparison, it would probably fit better with, say "I'm Too Sexy" or "Move This" (which actually started out as a shampoo jingle before it was made into a full-fledged song!). Yeah, I had always half wondered when the cheesy, late decade wave of music would come in, and maybe now it finally has. That tends to happen in the '7 year.

P.S. I also like the Moonwalk myself.

Written By: Brian06 on 10/26/07 at 8:08 pm

crank that soulja boy, youuuuu!  :D

Usually artists that say their name in their songs over and over tend to suck (Mike Jones).  ::)

Written By: whistledog on 10/26/07 at 10:56 pm

The fact that he's number one on Billboard shows just how crappy the music today is  8-P 8-P 8-P 8-P 8-P 8-P 8-P 8-P 8-P

Written By: sonikuu on 10/27/07 at 1:44 am

That's a good point, actually. It's more of a party song with a gimmick than an actual radio hit song in the traditional sense. Now that I think about it, if we're using the early '90s as a comparison, it would probably fit better with, say "I'm Too Sexy" or "Move This" (which actually started out as a shampoo jingle before it was made into a full-fledged song!). Yeah, I had always half wondered when the cheesy, late decade wave of music would come in, and maybe now it finally has. That tends to happen in the '7 year.

P.S. I also like the Moonwalk myself.

Yeah, I've noticed that the later part of the decade is always the cheesiest.  The late 70s had the dominance of Disco, the late 80s (and also the very early 90s) were full of tons of cheesy stuff, from Milli Vanilli to the hair bands to early 90s stuff like Vanilla Ice and Marky Mark (in many ways, 1990 and most of 1991 were cheesier than much of the 80s), and the late 90s had the boy bands and Rap transitioning from the Gangsta Rap West Coast-East Coast War of the mid-90s to the "Glam Rap" of stuff like Puff Daddy.  The cheesiness isn't just limited to music, as the clothing of the late 70s and late 80s/very early 90s show.  Surprisingly, late 90s clothing has aged better.  Its out of style, but its not really considered cheesy unless its something extreme, like the "shiny suits" of Puff Daddy or the clothing of bands like Limp Bizkit.

It looks like this will hold true for the 00s as well.  Rap has already been in its cheesy phase for about a year (see: "Laffy Taffy", "Grillz", "Ay Bay Bay", and "Crank That").  The pop/dance music of stuff like Justin Timberlake and Timbaland is perfectly fine now (its something fresh at least and hasn't been completely saturated with copycat artists yet), but music like that has a tendency to not age so well, as the pop/dance music of previous decades demonstrate.  Either way, it looks like 2007-2010 (the first year always has cheesiness leftover from the later part of the previous decade) will be full of plenty of cheesiness to come.  Amazingly enough, I actually like 2007's music for the most part (aside from most of the gimmicky rap and some other stuff like T-Pain), but I can definitely see how the cheesiness that is surfacing will probably go into overdrive over the coming years.

Written By: Midas on 10/28/07 at 3:01 am

Now that I think about it, if we're using the early '90s as a comparison, it would probably fit better with, say "I'm Too Sexy" or "Move This" (which actually started out as a shampoo jingle before it was made into a full-fledged song!).

Are you talking about "Move This" by Technotronic?  If so, that full-fledged song was released on their Pump Up The Jam album in 1989 as well as a single in 1990 in Italy (In addition to getting club play before it reached chart success in 1992).

Written By: tv on 10/28/07 at 7:26 pm

Are you talking about "Move This" by Technotronic?  If so, that full-fledged song was released on their Pump Up The Jam album in 1989 as well as a single in 1990 in Italy (In addition to getting club play before it reached chart success in 1992).
I like "Pump Up The Jam" and "Move This" and those 2 songs have aged pretty well I would have too say better than say  "I'm Too Sexy" and "Groove Is In The Heart".

Written By: tv on 10/28/07 at 7:36 pm

Yeah, I've noticed that the later part of the decade is always the cheesiest.  The late 70s had the dominance of Disco, the late 80s (and also the very early 90s) were full of tons of cheesy stuff, from Milli Vanilli to the hair bands to early 90s stuff like Vanilla Ice and Marky Mark (in many ways, 1990 and most of 1991 were cheesier than much of the 80s), and the late 90s had the boy bands and Rap transitioning from the Gangsta Rap West Coast-East Coast War of the mid-90s to the "Glam Rap" of stuff like Puff Daddy.  The cheesiness isn't just limited to music, as the clothing of the late 70s and late 80s/very early 90s show.  Surprisingly, late 90s clothing has aged better.  Its out of style, but its not really considered cheesy unless its something extreme, like the "shiny suits" of Puff Daddy or the clothing of bands like Limp Bizkit.

What did Limp Bizkit wear like? I mean I remember Fred Durst always wearing that red baseball cap on his head remember that? Wes Borland(the gutariast) for Limp Bizkit he always wore a basic tee shirt and loose fiiting jeans(not overly baggy though.)

As for the 80's hairbands they around before the late 80's. I think Motley Crue was around in 1983 and "Scorpions" had a hit in 1983(I think) with "Rock You Like a Hurricane"  but I see what your saying the hairband movement really didn;t blow up in popularity until like 1987 maybe.

1990 and 1991 were cheesier in terms of fashion I don;t know about that since 80's fashion was kinda tacky. Yeah some of the music though from 1990 and 1991 was cheesier than the 80's like I;m Too Sexy, Groove Is In The Heart, and Rico Sauve.

Written By: Macphisto on 10/29/07 at 12:52 am

Dear god...  That report card song is the worst thing I've heard since Gwen Stefani's "Hollaback Girl" and anything by Simple Plan.

So much of radio sucks @$$ these days.

Written By: Red Ant on 10/29/07 at 9:18 pm

Dear god...  That report card song is the worst thing I've heard since Gwen Stefani's "Hollaback Girl" and anything by Simple Plan.

So much of radio sucks @$$ these days.

lol, no kidding.

The really sad thing is that "Crank Dat Soulja Boy" is actually better than the other two songs of theirs I know, "Ya Bitch" and "Doo Doo Head" (sometimes I hate Soundclick.com). I think I'd rather have my ears removed by a sandblaster than to ever hear any of these "songs" again.

Ant

Written By: whistledog on 10/29/07 at 10:44 pm

I saw on the Billboard Chart, that there is now a Soulja Girl.  WTH is with the crappy music these days ?

Written By: woops on 10/30/07 at 2:06 am

Good for a "Weird Al" polka medley  :D

Written By: sonikuu on 11/01/07 at 6:36 pm

Well, Soulja Boy finally got dethroned from the number one spot by Chris Brown - Kiss Kiss (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DC4Rb9quKk).  Song isn't too bad except for T-Pain (why is he in every song now?).

Personally, I just wish "Apologize" would get #1.  Its been slowly working its way up there and its at #2 right now.  I love that song and I hope it can get the extra boost it needs to get to #1.  The song's only fault is that Timbaland will get all the credit for it with the actual song makers (OneRepublic) being reduced to a "featuring" role even they sing 90% of the song.

Written By: Brian06 on 11/01/07 at 6:54 pm

Well, Soulja Boy finally got dethroned from the number one spot by Chris Brown - Kiss Kiss (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DC4Rb9quKk).  Song isn't too bad except for T-Pain (why is he in every song now?).

Personally, I just wish "Apologize" would get #1.  Its been slowly working its way up there and its at #2 right now.  I love that song and I hope it can get the extra boost it needs to get to #1.  The song's only fault is that Timbaland will get all the credit for it with the actual song makers (OneRepublic) being reduced to a "featuring" role even they sing 90% of the song.

Yeah Apologize is good, Kiss Kiss is alright certainly better than Crank That (what isn't). Crank That and Cyclone (not that old lil jon beat AGAIN  ::)) are the stinkers of the top 10.

Check for new replies or respond here...