inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Click

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/26/07 at 5:52 pm

Did anyone see this? I just bought it the other day and did for the first time. I really liked it, and from what I had heard, it was probably about what I expected, maybe even a little better. I see this as being sort of a final call for his "classic style" movies (at least from the perspective of right now, since he's been doing more traditionally serious roles lately) where it's mostly goofy and lighthearted fun as he nornally does, mixed in with some heartwarming and more serious stuff to round it out. Almost all of his characters end up being really good, likable guys, I think it's largely for this reason too.

For anyone who doesn't know, he pretty much plays an overworked suburban dad. Stressed out by daily life, he ends up meeting this guy played by Christopher Walken, who offers him a magical, technological universal remote that controls literally everything he wants it to. At first Michael (his character) finds it a good solution to almost everything, but starts realizing the consequences with it as certain life events pass him by. Even though most of his movies (except maybe, say The Waterboy) have some serious undertones, this one really did, especially towards the end. It actually made me really sad in places. It almost reminded me of Back to the Future in that aspect.

Speaking of this, one of my favorite jokes was the news blurb on the 2017 radio station about Britney Spears, KFed and Michael Jackson (although it's from a 2006 perspective, which might not be quite as obvious to people some years later). ;D

Subject: Re: Click

Written By: snozberries on 10/26/07 at 8:24 pm

Did anyone see this? I just bought it the other day and did for the first time. I really liked it, and from what I had heard, it was probably about what I expected, maybe even a little better. I see this as being sort of a final call for his "classic style" movies (at least from the perspective of right now, since he's been doing more traditionally serious roles lately) where it's mostly goofy and lighthearted fun as he nornally does, mixed in with some heartwarming and more serious stuff to round it out. Almost all of his characters end up being really good, likable guys, I think it's largely for this reason too.

For anyone who doesn't know, he pretty much plays an overworked suburban dad. Stressed out by daily life, he ends up meeting this guy played by Christopher Walken, who offers him a magical, technological universal remote that controls literally everything he wants it to. At first Michael (his character) finds it a good solution to almost everything, but starts realizing the consequences with it as certain life events pass him by. Even though most of his movies (except maybe, say The Waterboy) have some serious undertones, this one really did, especially towards the end. It actually made me really sad in places. It almost reminded me of Back to the Future in that aspect.

Speaking of this, one of my favorite jokes was the news blurb on the 2017 radio station about Britney Spears, KFed and Michael Jackson (although it's from a 2006 perspective, which might not be quite as obvious to people some years later). ;D

I tried but I couldn't get through it. I might try again when I am in a different mindset but I gotta admit... I have a problem with an adult male who is in competition with children.  I didn't get to far into so maybe he has been so emasculated abusing and humliating children is the only way he can feel like a BIG MAN  but it really turned me off. 

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/27/07 at 5:36 am

I tried but I couldn't get through it. I might try again when I am in a different mindset but I gotta admit... I have a problem with an adult male who is in competition with children.  I didn't get to far into so maybe he has been so emasculated abusing and humliating children is the only way he can feel like a BIG MAN  but it really turned me off. 

Hmm, I never really thought about it that way. I'm not sure I totally agree, but I see what you're saying. I'm assuming you mean how he reacted towards that neighbor kid Kevin. You've gotta admit the first time was actually pretty funny and fitting ("My father's stereo is a Bose"; "Your father's stereo blows?" ;D ), but I guess the further incidents like blaming him for the cigar were probably a little overboard and out of line. Even if the kid was obnoxious and kind of a jerk. I honestly though, wouldn't use that one example as a good gauge for the entire movie.

Yeah, Michael does come off self-centered for the first half of the movie, but trust me, it gets more heartwarming and eye opening in terms of realizing what's important in life as it progresses. Slightly less goofy too. It's one of those things you need to see all the way through to get a good perception of it. Maybe it's just from my perspective 'cause Adam Sandler is such a cool, likable guy...both what I've seen of him personally, and just about all his characters.

Plus, just like alot of his other movies, there's snippets of some cool '80s songs thrown in (probably because he's a fan of that stuff) - "Magic" by The Cars, "Hold the Line" by Toto, "Working For the Weekend" by Loverboy and "Making Love out of Nothing At All" by Air Supply. ;)

Written By: snozberries on 10/27/07 at 2:23 pm

i'll give it another shot on my next day off-

I did like the 80's song I heard.  I got as far as the camping trip.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/27/07 at 4:35 pm

I loved this movie, and we have it in our movie collection, as well.  This movie was one of those kinds that made you laugh...but also it was emotional in parts. For instance, the part where he realized that he skipped the whole part of his children's lives...and all of a sudden they were grown up...that touched me.

Yes, all of Adam Sandler's movies tend to have really good songs in them, I've noticed that before.  We have almost all of his movies. :)

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/27/07 at 4:47 pm

I loved this movie, and we have it in our movie collection, as well.  This movie was one of those kinds that made you laugh...but also it was emotional in parts. For instance, the part where he realized that he skipped the whole part of his children's lives...and all of a sudden they were grown up...that touched me.

Yes, all of Adam Sandler's movies tend to have really good songs in them, I've noticed that before.  We have almost all of his movies. :)

Me too, on both parts. Even though somehow I knew they wouldn't just let the movie end like that, it was so sad/touching to see everyone in his life getting older. As I've said, you know this is something I can really relate to as well. Like, when he found out his dad died (he was only 77, still somewhat young relative to dying naturally) and he rejected the last chance to see him because of his workaholic ways. You could tell he was really ticked off at himself. I think it was at that point when he realized what went wrong and what he needed to change personally. Or yeah, like when his kids went from being little in 2006, to being big 15-17ish year olds, then even older without him getting a chance to see the inbetween times (and his wife divorcing him for Bill).

One thing I'm not sure of - when he woke up in Bed Bath and Beyond (I'll never think of that place the same way again, lol), I thought he must've fallen asleep on that bed and just dreamed the whole thing. But when he gets home, Morty gave him another remote, so it must've been real. I guess it was supposed to be ambiguous. Or he just rewound him back to that point and gave him a chance to do it over again.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 10/27/07 at 5:03 pm

Me too, on both parts. Even though somehow I knew they wouldn't just let the movie end like that, it was so sad/touching to see everyone in his life getting older. As I've said, you know this is something I can really relate to as well. Like, when he found out his dad died (he was only 77, still somewhat young relative to dying naturally) and he rejected the last chance to see him because of his workaholic ways. You could tell he was really ticked off at himself. I think it was at that point when he realized what went wrong and what he needed to change personally. Or yeah, like when his kids went from being little in 2006, to being big 15-17ish year olds, then even older without him getting a chance to see the inbetween times (and his wife divorcing him for Bill).

One thing I'm not sure of - when he woke up in Bed Bath and Beyond (I'll never think of that place the same way again, lol), I thought he must've fallen asleep on that bed and just dreamed the whole thing. But when he gets home, Morty gave him another remote, so it must've been real. I guess it was supposed to be ambiguous. Or he just rewound him back to that point and gave him a chance to do it over again.

oh ya, I hated how he treated his dad in that one scene....but then I loved the scene when he crawled in bed with his parents...so funny!

Ya, they made it look like he was dreaming the whole thing....but then they threw it in there at the end, with Morty giving him another remote.

It was good, none the less.

Check for new replies or respond here...