inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Fountains of Wayne's Traffic and Weather album

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/26/07 at 6:08 pm

Even though it doesn't quite have any standouts like "Stacy's Mom", overall I think it's a better collection of songs than Welcome Interstate Mongers did (the one from 2003, which that song came from). It's pretty much straight power pop/alternative rock with amusing storytelling that's probably more mainstream. It's also extremely Eighties influenced too, some of the songs could've probably come out in the actual '80s and not sounded out of place.

"Someone to Love" was the first single/video and is probably the most like their older stuff and the most pop/punk....but I personally like "92 Subaru" (he buys a used car and gives it a makeover to impress a girl, it sounds very arena rockish too, almost like The Cars or Loverboy) and "Strapped For Cash" (new waveish pop song about this guy owes a bunch of people money and can never get around to paying them back). Most of the songs are pretty good, though.

Subject: Re: Fountains of Wayne's Traffic and Weather album

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/26/07 at 6:34 pm

Even though it doesn't quite have any standouts like "Stacy's Mom", overall I think it's a better collection of songs than Welcome Interstate Mongers did (the one from 2003, which that song came from). It's pretty much straight power pop/alternative rock with amusing storytelling that's probably more mainstream. It's also extremely Eighties influenced too, some of the songs could've probably come out in the actual '80s and not sounded out of place.

"Someone to Love" was the first single/video and is probably the most like their older stuff and the most pop/punk....but I personally like "92 Subaru" (he buys a used car and gives it a makeover to impress a girl, it sounds very arena rockish too, almost like The Cars or Loverboy) and "Strapped For Cash" (new waveish pop song about this guy owes a bunch of people money and can never get around to paying them back). Most of the songs are pretty good, though.

Maybe their next album will be Volcanoes of Wayne  :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/26/07 at 9:30 pm

You can put it on the shelf next Huey Lewis and the News "Sports."
8)

Written By: audkal on 10/26/07 at 9:33 pm

Thanks for the review--that's one album I should get (perhaps for Christmas).  I like FOW though, I have their first album (it's self-titled, from 1996) as well as Welcome Interstate Managers. :) One of the few bands who makes new albums that I actually like, lol.

Check for new replies or respond here...