inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Aqua Teen Hunger Force

Written By: MrCleveland on 10/28/07 at 8:26 pm

Who here likes ATHF?

Subject: Re: Aqua Teen Hunger Force

Written By: Macphisto on 10/29/07 at 12:51 am

I like it.  I hope they make a series of episodes ridiculing Boston for being stupid enough to think their Mooninite signs were "bombs."

Written By: KKay on 10/29/07 at 8:24 am

LOVE IT>
CRAVE IT>

I would quit my job and watch it all day.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/29/07 at 5:10 pm

I'm a fan! 

I didn't see the movie, but I'll pick it up on Netflix.

Written By: woops on 10/29/07 at 7:34 pm

Some episode I've seen are funny

Carl looks like  Dennis Franz from "NYPD Blue"

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/29/07 at 8:05 pm

I love the show and the movie.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/30/07 at 8:30 pm

Some episode I've seen are funny

Carl looks like  Dennis Franz from "NYPD Blue"

To me Carl is the guy every woman tries to avoid in a bar! 
:P

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/31/07 at 7:03 pm

I'm a fan! 

I didn't see the movie, but I'll pick it up on Netflix.

best part of the movie is the snacks movie teaser parody at the start.  The movie itself isn't as much fun as the show, but at least they tried.

Written By: La Roche on 10/31/07 at 10:26 pm

LOVE IT!

Now Beavis & Butthead is done with I pretty much only have Master Shake to model myself on.

Space Ghost is still better though! Oh yes, Space Ghost rules all.

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/31/07 at 11:23 pm

LOVE IT!

Now Beavis & Butthead is done with I pretty much only have Master Shake to model myself on.

Space Ghost is still better though! Oh yes, Space Ghost rules all.

Three words for ya.

"Tripping The Rift"

Nuff said.

Written By: La Roche on 11/01/07 at 7:39 am

Three words for ya.

"Tripping The Rift"

Nuff said.

I think it's necessary to enjoy any star trek parody.

Written By: KKay on 11/01/07 at 8:41 am

Carl:  I don't need instructions on how to rock!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/01/07 at 8:51 am

best part of the movie is the snacks movie teaser parody at the start.  The movie itself isn't as much fun as the show, but at least they tried.

That's why I didn't pay $8.50 for a ticket.  The whole scheme of the show is designed for 15-minute bites.  Stretching it out to a 90-minute story line is dodgy business.  Same thing with the Simpsons movie.  I'd like to see it, but I'm not going to pay box office prices to see an extended episode. 

I remember when Martin Short's "Ed Grimley" character from SNL was all the rage and Short was getting movie offers, he was saying, whoah there! Ed Grimley is a 3-minute character, not an 90-minute character.  He's going to grate on you after a while!

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/02/07 at 11:31 am

That's why I didn't pay $8.50 for a ticket.  The whole scheme of the show is designed for 15-minute bites.  Stretching it out to a 90-minute story line is dodgy business.  Same thing with the Simpsons movie.  I'd like to see it, but I'm not going to pay box office prices to see an extended episode. 

I remember when Martin Short's "Ed Grimley" character from SNL was all the rage and Short was getting movie offers, he was saying, whoah there! Ed Grimley is a 3-minute character, not an 90-minute character.  He's going to grate on you after a while!

The Simpsons movie was held off for so long because they didn't think they could do it properly.  They were right.  I was pretty disappointed by it.  I guess the new Simpsons Game pulls off the leap from TV better.

The only problem with waiting for something to come out on DVD, is that Netflix usually doesn't ship it for the first month because I rent so much from them.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/02/07 at 9:02 pm

The Simpsons movie was held off for so long because they didn't think they could do it properly.  They were right.  I was pretty disappointed by it.  I guess the new Simpsons Game pulls off the leap from TV better.

The only problem with waiting for something to come out on DVD, is that Netflix usually doesn't ship it for the first month because I rent so much from them.

Netflix is good for me because it's cheap and I never say, "Oh, I just gotta see this or that video tonight!"  If you send one batch back on Thursday, you might not get the next one until Monday depending.  I think my nearest Netflix HQ is in Worcester, so if I send back on Thursday I can usually get the next ones for Saturday.  There's a whole Netflix rhythm method I haven't figured out quite yet.  I've only subscribed for a couple of months now. 

I recommend Netflix because they have a huge volume of titles for low rental prices, but if you're compulsive it's better to have an account with a video store. 

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 11/02/07 at 9:06 pm

it feels kind of forced to me. too tongue in cheek.

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/09/07 at 3:08 pm

Netflix is good for me because it's cheap and I never say, "Oh, I just gotta see this or that video tonight!"  If you send one batch back on Thursday, you might not get the next one until Monday depending.  I think my nearest Netflix HQ is in Worcester, so if I send back on Thursday I can usually get the next ones for Saturday.  There's a whole Netflix rhythm method I haven't figured out quite yet.  I've only subscribed for a couple of months now. 

I recommend Netflix because they have a huge volume of titles for low rental prices, but if you're compulsive it's better to have an account with a video store. 

I send to Worcester too, but since I'm in Auburn that makes sense >grin<

Netflix does have a habit of throttling if you send them back too quick, they claim unlimited, but really it does limit based on the price point.  Even with the limiting, it's still one of the cheapest ways to rent, and the selection usually beats out video stores.  I'll never walk into a Blockbuster again, one of the scumiest chains I've ever had the displeasure of giving money to.

If GreenCine opened an east coast branch, I'd probably give them a shot for some of the stuff even Netflix won't carry.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/09/07 at 6:57 pm

I send to Worcester too, but since I'm in Auburn that makes sense >grin<

Netflix does have a habit of throttling if you send them back too quick, they claim unlimited, but really it does limit based on the price point.  Even with the limiting, it's still one of the cheapest ways to rent, and the selection usually beats out video stores.  I'll never walk into a Blockbuster again, one of the scumiest chains I've ever had the displeasure of giving money to.

If GreenCine opened an east coast branch, I'd probably give them a shot for some of the stuff even Netflix won't carry.

Too quickly, eh?  I never thought of that.  Makes sense, though.  Most of the titles I rent come from the documentary and indie sections, or they're more obscure mainstream titles that aren't high in demand.  Then again, I suppose since the subscriber pays a flat fee and Netflix picks up the shipping costs, it's in their interest to have you rent fewer titles. 

I notice Netflix doesn't carry the blue movies.  If they started down that road, they would double their volume and get the right-wingers all agitated!
::)

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/09/07 at 10:44 pm

Too quickly, eh?  I never thought of that.  Makes sense, though.  Most of the titles I rent come from the documentary and indie sections, or they're more obscure mainstream titles that aren't high in demand.  Then again, I suppose since the subscriber pays a flat fee and Netflix picks up the shipping costs, it's in their interest to have you rent fewer titles. 

I notice Netflix doesn't carry the blue movies.  If they started down that road, they would double their volume and get the right-wingers all agitated!

there's a few companies that due the blue titles... personally, I'd rather not have to handle anything after a previous renter from those companies

greencine is perfect for the indie/docu route.  Personally I rent mostly music and some TV stuff.  When Neal's a little older, I plan on renting more kids stuff (Loony Tunes especially since they don't show them much anymore)

Written By: woops on 11/09/07 at 11:16 pm

Looney Tunes were originally intended for adults and aired inbetween newsreels & films like "Casablanca" & "Gone With The Wind" in theatres

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/10/07 at 8:31 am

Looney Tunes were originally intended for adults and aired inbetween newsreels & films like "Casablanca" & "Gone With The Wind" in theatres

not entirely...  they were meant to appeal to adults and kids.  unlike a majority of cartoons now, which are designed for one or the other.

Written By: Step-chan on 11/11/07 at 2:45 pm

Carl:  I don't need instructions on how to rock!

I remember that episode.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/11/07 at 5:22 pm

not entirely...  they were meant to appeal to adults and kids.  unlike a majority of cartoons now, which are designed for one or the other.

Modern era cartoons such as Simpsons and Rugrats are sophisticated enough to appeal to all ages.  Even Sponge Bob has some adult appeal.  Cartoons really went down the crapper starting with Hanna-Barbera stuff in the sixties and reached their nadir in the eighties (Smurfs, Strawberry Shortcake, Littles, Care Bears, He-Man).  I credit the Simpsons with raising the standards again.  Certainly, kids would enjoy cartoons like Aqua Teen, but there's too much depravity involved!

Written By: ChuckyG on 11/11/07 at 7:48 pm

Modern era cartoons such as Simpsons and Rugrats are sophisticated enough to appeal to all ages.  Even Sponge Bob has some adult appeal.  Cartoons really went down the crapper starting with Hanna-Barbera stuff in the sixties and reached their nadir in the eighties (Smurfs, Strawberry Shortcake, Littles, Care Bears, He-Man).  I credit the Simpsons with raising the standards again.  Certainly, kids would enjoy cartoons like Aqua Teen, but there's too much depravity involved!

I've tried to watch SpongeBob (got a two year old at home, so I see more cartoons than I used to now) and I haven't figured out what appeals to adults in that one. I'm guessing the gross out humor they "borrowed" from Ren & Stimpy.

Aside from the Simpsons and King of the Hill though, I can't think of any others that have appeal to both.  ATHF is way too adult and poorly animated to appeal to the under 12 crowd.  Invader Zim before it was canceled comes to mind too.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/12/07 at 12:07 am

I've tried to watch SpongeBob (got a two year old at home, so I see more cartoons than I used to now) and I haven't figured out what appeals to adults in that one. I'm guessing the gross out humor they "borrowed" from Ren & Stimpy.

Aside from the Simpsons and King of the Hill though, I can't think of any others that have appeal to both.  ATHF is way too adult and poorly animated to appeal to the under 12 crowd.  Invader Zim before it was canceled comes to mind too.

I clicked past ATHF a dozen time before it caught my interest.  A talking milkshake?  How lame can you get?  Then I paused, saw a few of the gags, and I was hooked. 

Ren & Stimpy is still one of my favorites.  R&S and Beavis & Butthead paved the way for South Park, which I never thought would last ten years, but it has and it keeps trucking.  South Park is 50/50 for me, still worth watching.

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/13/07 at 12:22 am

Invader Zim before it was canceled comes to mind too.

It's not easy being evil, but evil's what I be.

I miss Animaniacs and Tiny Toon Adventures.  My early-90s college memories are filled with jaw-dropping *WOW* moments when I'd wake up to "Man, how'd they get away with airing that line on a show supposedly aimed at kids". 

I grew up on the 40s-50s Warner Bros. cartoons - cartoons written by adults, for adults, that somehow found their way to kids when I was growing up.  Tiny Toon Adventures and Animaniacs were the closest we've ever seen to the original wackiness of Termite Terrace.

For anyone old enough to remember Shirley Ellis' "The Name Game", (and if you want lulz, Divine covered it in the 80s, and if you want to see a great voice humiliating herself, so did Laura Branigan!), the best 500-milliseconds television ever was seeing the following "joke" appear in the credits.

"Character not appearing in 'The Name Game': Plucky Duck"

Even more than most of the adult-themed gags on TTA and Animaniacs, how the hell they got that past the censors, after playing the entire song all the way through with every major character except Plucky, I'll never know.

Plucky, plucky, bo-plucky, banana-fanna fo-GOODNIGHT, EVERYBODY

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/13/07 at 7:14 pm

For anyone old enough to remember Shirley Ellis' "The Name Game", (and if you want lulz, Divine covered it in the 80s, and if you want to see a great voice humiliating herself, so did Laura Branigan!), the best 500-milliseconds television ever was seeing the following "joke" appear in the credits.

Holy crap!  You've heard Divine singing "The Name Game"?  I bought that single from Wax Trax! back in the day in order to send it to my ex-girlfriend for xmas (I chose it for the A-side, "I was born to be cheap, I was born to be shallow" to express my bitterness for that dizzy little broad), but I never sent it.  It lingered in the back of my record collection until I sold it off in the mid-'90s.
:D

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/13/07 at 10:14 pm

Holy crap!  You've heard Divine singing "The Name Game"?  I bought that single from Wax Trax! back in the day in order to send it to my ex-girlfriend for xmas (I chose it for the A-side, "I was born to be cheap, I was born to be shallow" to express my bitterness for that dizzy little broad), but I never sent it.  It lingered in the back of my record collection until I sold it off in the mid-'90s.
:D

It's always the weirdest and most obscure vinyl that gets sold... *sigh*

Ah, Wax Trax!, the label that defined... well, something.  Looking back, I'm shocked at just how much of my collection for which they're responsible.

I was born to be shallow, wasn't born to be deep!
But of all the things, I was born to be cheap!

Yeah, Divine was one of those things that could only have happened in the early 80s, and Wax Trax! was probably the only label that would have dared to publish him.  Hearing his "Name Game" (where he's so obviously enjoying an opportunity to go even further past the line that limits comedy from self-parody) back-to-back against Laura's version (where she's singing it so straight-laced and deadpan that you can almost see the smoldering rage curling out from her ears) is a trip.

Written By: Connery on 11/14/07 at 2:09 am

I like all of the Adult Swim line up like Robot Chicken...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/14/07 at 8:24 pm

It's always the weirdest and most obscure vinyl that gets sold... *sigh*

Ah, Wax Trax!, the label that defined... well, something.  Looking back, I'm shocked at just how much of my collection for which they're responsible.

I was born to be shallow, wasn't born to be deep!
But of all the things, I was born to be cheap!

Yeah, Divine was one of those things that could only have happened in the early 80s, and Wax Trax! was probably the only label that would have dared to publish him.  Hearing his "Name Game" (where he's so obviously enjoying an opportunity to go even further past the line that limits comedy from self-parody) back-to-back against Laura's version (where she's singing it so straight-laced and deadpan that you can almost see the smoldering rage curling out from her ears) is a trip.

Oh, I beg to differ.  There are tons of indie labels nowadays that would put out a Divine disc.  Maybe Mike Patton's Ipecac label. 

John Waters has just never been as tasteless without Divine.  He's still got most of his crew, but Divine was the man!

Yeah, I was buying stuff from Wax Trax! when they had only about 25 titles.  I ordered my first Legendary Pink Dots record through them via Play It Again Sam.  Then WT melted into the amorphous sludge of '90s college pop along with Sub Pop, K Records, and so many others.

Check for new replies or respond here...