inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Eagles beat Britney to number one in the UK Album Charts

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/05/07 at 2:04 am

Veteran rockers The Eagles have topped the UK album chart for the first time.

No band has ever taken longer to reach number one, with a 33-year gap between their debut UK hit, On the Border, and this release, Long Road Out of Eden.

Full report on BBC News Online

Subject: Re: Eagles beat Britney to number one in the UK Album Charts

Written By: whistledog on 11/05/07 at 3:12 pm

This was long overdue

Their new song, 'How Long' has become a big country hit in the States, but it is not doing well in the US Hot 100.  It's currently still in the Canadian Top 40

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/05/07 at 4:51 pm

This is no surprise.  Britney's a washed up teennage songbird who's overstayed her welcome.

The Eagles are classic.
The Eagles are forever!

Written By: whistledog on 11/05/07 at 6:13 pm

This is no surprise.  Britney's a washed up teennage songbird who's overstayed her welcome.

The Eagles are classic.
The Eagles are forever!

Well said, sir! 8)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 11/05/07 at 8:18 pm

This is quite a triumph. They far more deserve it than Britney, who does not deserve to even make any mark on the charts since her work is not half as complicated as what the Eagles put out, yet they do it so effortlessly without a million synthesizers.

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/05/07 at 11:30 pm

Life in the fast lane, surely make you lose your mind.

Written By: whistledog on 11/05/07 at 11:44 pm

Life in the fast lane, surely make you lose your mind.

How can she be in the fast lane?  She gets slowed down by the feet of camera men and the fenders of parked cars ;D

Written By: Zoso on 11/06/07 at 12:24 am

Yes but in both The Eagles' and Britney's home country, Britney is set to debut at #1!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/06/07 at 9:52 pm

Yes but in both The Eagles' and Britney's home country, Britney is set to debut at #1!

No one ever lost money underestimating the taste or intelligence of the American people. 

::)

Written By: whistledog on 11/06/07 at 9:58 pm

That's because according to the Billboard Chart, all the crappy songs are near ot close to the top.  In an age of rap and hip-hop dominance within the US chart, if the Eagles can even make it into the Top 40, then they've done better than most of these one hit wonder rappers already in the Top 40

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/06/07 at 10:09 pm

Finally real music, instead of manufactured emo type music.

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 11/06/07 at 10:33 pm

Doesn't surprise me. 

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 11/06/07 at 10:48 pm

I've always preferred the albums chart to the singles. Only teens and people who are into the "hits" buy singles. Real music lovers buy albums.

It's no surprise really.

Written By: Brian06 on 11/07/07 at 1:34 am

From what I've read they've beat Britney like 2 to 1 in the US as well...700 k which is pretty amazing these days considering I think this was a limited release. It's not really surprising since Brit isn't really promoting her album at all (according to her record label she "doesn't care"), really I doubt that Britney even knows her album was released. Keep in mind that I do like the album for it's production, I do not defend Britney though, she's a crazy idiot these days.  ::)

Written By: tv on 11/07/07 at 8:18 am

It's not really surprising since Brit isn't really promoting her album at all (according to her record label she "doesn't care"),
Don;t you think Britney has had enough promotion of herself for this whole entire year from the tabloids anyway? I mean thats probably the reason why she doesn;t even need to bother to promote her album.

Written By: Zoso on 11/07/07 at 8:41 am

Oops, I spoke to soon. Britney was projected to take the #1 spot mid-week, but things changed drastically since. This is the official Billiboard top 10 for this week...

LW TW artist / album label power index % change
-- 1 EAGLES EAGLES RECORDING COMPANY 707,253 --
LONG ROAD OUT OF EDEN
-- 2 BRITNEY SPEARS JIVE/ZLG 289,791 --
BLACKOUT
1 3 CARRIE UNDERWOOD ARISTA/RMG 162,976 -70%
CARNIVAL RIDE
-- 4 AVENGED SEVENFOLD WARNER BROS. 92,006 --
AVENGED SEVENFOLD
-- 5 JOSH TURNER MCA NASHVILLE 84,121 --
EVERYTHING IS FINE
-- 6 BACKSTREET BOYS JIVE/ZLG 80,338 --
UNBREAKABLE
2 7 ROBERT PLANT & ALISON KRAUSS ROUNDER 76,854 -24%
RAISING SAND
4 8 JOSH GROBAN REPRISE 73,352 +8%
NOEL
-- 9 ANDREA BOCELLI DECCA 67,668 --
BEST OFANDREA BOCELLI - VIVERE
8 10 RASCAL FLATTS LYRIC STREET 52,613 -7%
STILL FEELS GOOD

Written By: tv on 11/07/07 at 11:23 am

Oops, I spoke to soon. Britney was projected to take the #1 spot mid-week, but things changed drastically since. This is the official Billiboard top 10 for this week...

LW TW artist / album label power index % change
-- 1 EAGLES EAGLES RECORDING COMPANY 707,253 --
LONG ROAD OUT OF EDEN
-- 2 BRITNEY SPEARS JIVE/ZLG 289,791 --
BLACKOUT
1 3 CARRIE UNDERWOOD ARISTA/RMG 162,976 -70%
CARNIVAL RIDE
-- 4 AVENGED SEVENFOLD WARNER BROS. 92,006 --
AVENGED SEVENFOLD
-- 5 JOSH TURNER MCA NASHVILLE 84,121 --
EVERYTHING IS FINE
-- 6 BACKSTREET BOYS JIVE/ZLG 80,338 --
UNBREAKABLE
2 7 ROBERT PLANT & ALISON KRAUSS ROUNDER 76,854 -24%
RAISING SAND
4 8 JOSH GROBAN REPRISE 73,352 +8%
NOEL
-- 9 ANDREA BOCELLI DECCA 67,668 --
BEST OFANDREA BOCELLI - VIVERE
8 10 RASCAL FLATTS LYRIC STREET 52,613 -7%
STILL FEELS GOOD

Interesting late 90's teen-pop artists like the Backstreet Boys debut at #6 but Britney debuts at #2.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/07/07 at 11:30 am

I would think around the world there are more Eagles than Britney fans.

Written By: Brian06 on 11/07/07 at 11:51 am

Interesting late 90's teen-pop artists like the Backstreet Boys debut at #6 but Britney debuts at #2.

Britney's still popular imo because her music still sounds fresh just like Timberlake, Backstreet Boys still sound like they belong in 1999.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/07/07 at 12:49 pm

Britney's still popular imo because her music still sounds fresh just like Timberlake, Backstreet Boys still sound like they belong in 1999.

OMG...they sound HORRIBLE! I saw them performing on some talk show..they couldn't even carry a tune. :o

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 11/07/07 at 1:45 pm

I would think around the world there are more Eagles than Britney fans.

HUGE Eagles fan here!!!  8)

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/07/07 at 5:13 pm

All due respect intended, but isn't it possible to like one thing without trashing another in comparison? There's room for everyone's taste. Personally, I like "Gimmie More" but like people have said before, it was more the production than any involvement from Britney herself that made it what it was.

I know I'll probably get hell for this, but the Eagles are just an average band to me. They've got a few good songs, but nothing special. Like I've said before, the members' solo '80s material (especially Henley - "The Boys of Summer" is just so catchy) beats any of their band songs a million times over. I have heard their new one too, which is actually decent for 2007 music, but it's not really comparable to Brit. It's a completely different style of music altogether.

Written By: coqueta83 on 11/07/07 at 8:12 pm

I'm glad to hear the Eagles' album is number 1!  :) Pretty surprised to see the Backstreet Boys in the top 10, though.

Written By: lorac61469 on 11/07/07 at 9:29 pm

I have heard their new one too, which is actually decent for 2007 music, but it's not really comparable to Brit. It's a completely different style of music altogether.

Sure it's completely different, they actually write the songs, play the instruments and sing damn good without a ton of manipulation by mixing (or whatever they do to the voices of most people with little talent)  The Eagles are true musicians and not some record company's manufactured pop star. 

Written By: tv on 11/08/07 at 7:41 am

I know I'll probably get hell for this, but the Eagles are just an average band to me. They've got a few good songs, but nothing special. Like I've said before, the members' solo '80s material (especially Henley - "The Boys of Summer" is just so catchy) beats any of their band songs a million times over. I have heard their new one too, which is actually decent for 2007 music, but it's not really comparable to Brit. It's a completely different style of music altogether.
Yeah I agree with you Henley's solo work in the 80's and early 90's is better than the Eagles songs that I have heard. I have not heard any material off the Eagles new album though. Yeah I never gort the fuss over the Eagles that everybody else makes they're an ok band but really nothing special like you said.

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/08/07 at 7:46 am

Sure it's completely different, they actually write the songs, play the instruments and sing damn good without a ton of manipulation by mixing (or whatever they do to the voices of most people with little talent)  The Eagles are true musicians and not some record company's manufactured pop star. 

Yeah, but my point is not all music has to be like that. Oh I'm not saying that isn't good to a point, but it doesn't have to be the only music that exists. I think the main reason any songs have caught on with the public is because they're catchy and fun to listen to, that's what matters to most people. Not how it's produced or who wrote the tracks. I mean Paula Abdul didn't write most of her material, but I imagine she connected with the songs enough to choose those to sing and record.

But getting back to Britney...I'm not talking about her personal life, that's a whole nother story lol, but as far as her music goes, the listenability factor was always the main reason for her success. Top Forty pop artists just write fun music, it's been that way since the '50s. If you're expecting sweeping, epic music from her, that's not what she's about. I'm sure she was never pretending to try and be the next Beatles. You have to distinguish that.

Eagles are alright, but it's a different music. Although like I said, to me the members' solo '80s pop songs are better than anything they did as a band. But again, it's 2007, I'm not expecting another "Heat is On", "Boys of Summer" or "Radio Song" (it wasn't that popular, but that was one of Joe Walsh's songs, pretty catchy too).

Check for new replies or respond here...