inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Following trends?

Written By: John on 11/12/07 at 5:14 am

Do you try to keep up with almost all of the current trends or you decide to ignore and avoid some of them (like me ignoring emo)?

Subject: Re: Following trends?

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/12/07 at 6:28 am

Good question. Well, I do tend to keep up on them more out of interest (I find it fascinating to study things like pop culture as they're happening and just to see what direction they're going). In terms of following them because I actually like them, that depends but generally not as much. I'm into some stuff here and there, but it's more scattered since about 2001 or maybe '03. The '80s and '90s are my favorite (as well as previous times in a secondhand way).

Written By: John on 11/12/07 at 7:02 am

Good question. Well, I do tend to keep up on them more out of interest (I find it fascinating to study things like pop culture as they're happening and just to see what direction they're going). In terms of following them because I actually like them, that depends but generally not as much. I'm into some stuff here and there, but it's more scattered since about 2001 or maybe '03. The '80s and '90s are my favorite (as well as previous times in a secondhand way).

I agree on the pre-2001 thing!

Written By: Jessica on 11/12/07 at 8:02 am

Do you try to keep up with almost all of the current trends or you decide to ignore and avoid some of them (like me ignoring emo)?

I like you. You should join. I ignore emo too. ;D

I don't follow trends. I'm too old for that crap. :D

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/12/07 at 1:07 pm

There's no age requirement for trends, there's no law written down about this. It depends on tastes and the person in general. There's 35 year olds who like current music, and some teens who aren't crazy about it.

Written By: whistledog on 11/12/07 at 4:26 pm

I ignore emo too because it's suck ass music.  I see all these emo kids, and I just really want to beat the hell out of them while I scream at them "DRESS NORMAL FOR F*CK SAKES" ;D

Written By: Jessica on 11/12/07 at 4:46 pm

I ignore emo too because it's suck ass music.  I see all these emo kids, and I just really want to beat the hell out of them while I scream at them "DRESS NORMAL FOR F*CK SAKES" ;D

My 14 year old cousin is like that. I just want to scrub the raccoon makeup off her eyes and make her wear jeans that don't hug every roll of baby fat on her. ::)

Oh next summer I'm going to have so much fun when I make my annual visit to California....*readies sponge full of makeup remover*

Written By: Brian06 on 11/12/07 at 11:04 pm

I keep up with charts, I don't follow say "emo" extensively because it's not really my favorite type of music to say the least (though there's an occasional song by a so called "emo" band that is ok sometimes). I know most of what's going on in pop/hip-hop/rock, etc. simply because I want to.

Written By: gumbypiz on 11/13/07 at 1:37 am

There's no age requirement for trends, there's no law written down about this. It depends on tastes and the person in general. There's 35 year olds who like current music, and some teens who aren't crazy about it.

Hm, easy to say that now, but you may just change that point of view when you get a bit older.

When I was younger, it was not only important to follow the latest trend, but crucial to be part of it. Even if you didn't like what "it" was you needed to be aware of what was going on to be "cool". I guess we've all done that, being young and naive at some time. Being "trendy" helps us understand where we are so to speak, to fit in. Especially when we are just forming our "selves".

But as I'm learning, as you get older the trends really don't mean as much, maybe you get more selfish, or better yet, your own personality is just too developed to follow or be part of a trend. Its scary too, because I can really look at myself as one of those people who don't know the absolute latest pop star or TV show nowadays, just like I used to make fun of my dad and older people that weren't "hip" (using that word on purpose). You start to think that you're not "cool" anymore, you are OLD.

But I realize now, its not because I'm older, its just that if I haven't already taken some interest in the trend, then I don't care about it and the trend doesn't fit with my tastes. Doesn't mean I don't like or follow new things, it just means that I'm not readily sucked in to a new fad because its "new".

I've always been like that, I put a lot more value on the individual making their own choices, not following or jumping on the bandwagon because it was part of a rising trend.

For example, I've seen the rise and coining of the term "Emo" back to the late 90's as a rising trend, and is certainly not now, what it was "then". When you look at the background (music, social settings) of it, its actually laughable, but hey, to each his own.

Written By: John on 11/13/07 at 4:22 am

I like you. You should join. I ignore emo too. ;D

I don't follow trends. I'm too old for that crap. :D

Too old? Well, young children also do not follow all trends.

Written By: Jessica on 11/13/07 at 8:49 am

Too old? Well, young children also do not follow all trends.

Of course not. They're too young to care. :D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/13/07 at 8:55 am

Speaking of trends...I remember back in the 80's..there used to be this store at the mall, called TRENDS.  It was the coolest store one could go in, IMO. They had everything from glitter/water bracelets & necklaces, jelly/gummy jewelry, novelty scented pens/pencils/erasers, stickers of all kinds (scratch & sniff, oily, glitter, fuzzy, etc), charm bracelets/necklaces....well, you get my point. It was a girl's dream to go in that store! :D

Written By: John on 11/13/07 at 11:50 am

Of course not. They're too young to care. :D
Well, I'm just 19, and after 6 years of caring too much of trends I decided to give up caring about them. I am totally fed up with most post-2001 trends that's why. I am blocking all news sites and blocking music sites. I also erased music TV from my TV set. Life is a lot simpler when you don't follow all of the trends, so I miss my pre-13 age years. 6 years are enough...

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/13/07 at 2:57 pm

I'll say it again, every person is different. With all due respect, one thing that always kinda ticked me off was when people would try to label others merely on how old they were (and this goes both ways, so I've never been age-biased in either direction). In other words, you can't say that just because someone is 15 they're gonna be all into every little thing that comes out and then suddenly stop when they get to another age. Yes, there may be some who fit that bill, but it's a huge misconception to define everyone as being like this. No two people have the same experiences or thoughts, and it's ridiculous to claim they do. It also depends on tastes and people's circumstances.

Just personally I was never hardcore into following any trend for the sake of following it or because "all the other kids were". I just liked whatever happened to interest me, whether it was new or old. This is true at any age I've ever been. The only reason I study music and other trends is because I'm fascinated by the development of pop culture overall (regardless of what my personal feelings towards it might be).

Like I've said before, my favorite music/televison/movies and basic culture GENERALLY spans about 1982 to 1996. Now I don't love every last thing from that fifteen/twenty year timespan (even if I tend to gravitate towards alot of it and feel the most comfortable with it, lol). It also means that I enjoy things outside of that time too, even if maybe the ratio isn't as much. Just because you have preferences doesn't exclude you from liking things outside those lines either.

Written By: tv on 11/13/07 at 7:33 pm

Do I follow trends? A little bit. I mean I still follow modern music even though most of it I don;t care for it as much as I used too. I mean I used too listen to the Alternative Rick station and than I stop listening to it altogether. Than I started to listen to the Hip Hop Station now i can;'t stand it. I rather listen to the Smooth R&B station now rather than listening to rock (or some rapper talking about how rich he is.) If music doesn;t get better in the 2010's I may just stop listening to "current music" all together because I'm just not happy with the music scene right now.

As for fashion I still have the same clothes that I had 10-11 years ago mostly. I just don't care whats in fashion wise anymore.

As for TV  I'll watch CSI, Law & Order, and Criminal Minds. I did not like reality TV craze of the early 00's. My mom got me watching the show "House" recently and its ok. My mom is more up on the trends than I am sometimes even. I remember my Mom was really into the early 90's music scene for some reason and she kinda poked fun at me in the early 90's for not listening to "current music at all".

Written By: EyesWideAsleep on 11/16/07 at 4:29 pm

I keep track of them but don't follow them. I like to know what's going on in the world because I like to study trends but I don't like or see any need to follow them. We're going to think they're stupid later so they must be stupid now.

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 11/23/07 at 7:59 pm

I gave up following trends on a whole when 1998-1999 hit.  I mean, I like very few RnB music that was out between 2000-2003 (neo-soul period), but as far as taping every song off of the radio, or  listening to the radio 24-7 or rush to get every CD that's hot now or rush to go to every concert to see every popular artist, or trying to impress people so I can fit in, or wearing the latest style, on a whole, it ended in  December 1998 and January 1999 because that's when I got saved and plus I just lost interest in it.

Written By: woops on 11/23/07 at 10:35 pm

Besides a few tv shows, don't  really follow them

Even when I was a teenager

Written By: dushanbe on 11/24/07 at 1:52 pm

never followed trends for the sake of it :P

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/24/07 at 6:18 pm

I don't follow trends myself.

Written By: Trimac20 on 11/26/07 at 9:42 am

I guess on some, possibly semi-conscious level I probably do...I occasionally listen to the 'alternative' radio stations and have one eye on the music scene - i appreciate fashions.etc, but for the most part don't follow them. It's not really an active resistance to trends.etc, I just really can't be bothered. I don't really hang out with the most mainstream people my age, so don't really flow along the main pop-cultural veins and arteries that traverse the dimension of time.

Written By: Zoso on 11/26/07 at 11:19 pm

I used to be this grungy kid who thought he didn't follow trends until I realised grunge was probably one of the biggest trends of the 90s. It's hard not to follow trends. Whatever you do, whatever you like, however you dress there is always someone else who does and likes what you do and dresses like you do. So it's pretty much impossible to steer clear of conformity. But I still have the same anti-conformist attitude I've had since I was a kid. Even though I know I'm always conforming to something. I just try not to conform to some of the more popular trends and stick to the smaller ones that make me feel more like a non-conformist. Like I use mac instead of windows. I listen to Michael Jackson, Prince and pretty much any artist that is considered "weird" in some way. I bought a Wii instead of a Xbox 360 or a PS3. So I try. But I know I follow trends just as much as the next person.

Check for new replies or respond here...